Ighalo: NFF Offered Osimhen's #9 Shirt to me.....I said No

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Ighalo: NFF Offered Osimhen's #9 Shirt to me.....I said No

Post by Enugu II »

‘I told them to give me any jersey available’-Super Eagles returnee claims he was offered Osimhen’s shirt
https://soccernet.ng/2021/11/i-told-the ... shirt.html
Kelvin Omachonu by Kelvin Omachonu 10 hours ago in AFCON, News, Nigeria 0

The Napoli striker (VICTOR OSIMHEN) is Nigeria’s number nine, but he could have had the number taken away from him during this month’s international break

Super Eagles and Al-Shabab Striker Odion Ighalo has revealed that he was offered Victor Osimhen’s number nine jersey by top NFF officials prior to his return to international duty for Nigeria.

The 32-year-old forward decided to call time on his international career in July 2019, but an impressive goal-scoring spree at his Saudi Arabian side revived interests from the NFF and Super Eagles gaffer Gernot Rohr.

Despite the availability of attacking talents of Nigerian origin scattered across Europe, the former Manchester United striker was still invited to the Super Eagles camp for the world cup qualifiers against Liberia and Cape Verde to the detriment of Union Berlin star Taiwo Awoniyi.

Before his initial retirement, Ighalo don the number nine jersey, which is now worn by Osimhen. However, on his return to the team, he was offered his former number, which he duly rejected.

“A top NFF official told me I could have the number nine jersey back, and I told him no,” Ighalo told ESPN.

“I had left it. Osimhen is using it now and coming back, I’m going to play with any jersey number.”

“I told them to give me any jersey available. I can play with my bare skin for Nigeria, I’m a patriotic Nigerian. If it means me playing without a shirt in this team, I’m going to play. It’s not the shirt that score the goals.”

Ighalo also expressed his belief in Napoli star Osimhen, stating that he is the number one striker and will not take Osimhen’s place.

“Before I left the national team, I personally called Osimhen and said I’m leaving, this position is for you and if you work hard you’re going to rule Nigeria for a long time.”

I’m happy to see him doing well and I’m here to support him.”

“And before I came back, I told the coach’ Osimhen is the number one striker, I will just support in whatever way you want me to support and I’m here to do that,” he added.

With the likely absence of Osimhen for the 2021 AFCON, which starts on January 9, Ighalo could become Nigeria’s top hitman again.

However, it is left to be seen if a Gernot Rohr remains manager of the Super Eagles or if a new manager would prefer a younger player in Europe.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ighalo: NFF Offered Osimhen's #9 Shirt to me.....I said No

Post by mcal »

...may be if he had the number 9 shirt he could have scored and we could have won, with tons of goals.
This is what psychology does to people :? :?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

mcal wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 am ...may be if he had the number 9 shirt he could have scored and we could have won, with tons of goals.
Maybe Oshimen would’ve realised the NFF are amateur!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

mcal wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 am ...may be if he had the number 9 shirt he could have scored and we could have won, with tons of goals.
Maybe Oshimen would’ve realised the NFF are amateur!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Really... who cares
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Is ighalo this daft; why even open mouth about this. This could trigger a subliminal esteem issues
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

JJ! Is the NFF that assigns Jerseys to players?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

jette1 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:07 am Is ighalo this daft; why even open mouth about this. This could trigger a subliminal esteem issues
I agree. Somethings better left unsaid.

But stupid of the NFF to even offer the jersey to him. Ighalo was not that big of a star to take Osimhen’s jersey away, and Osimhen was already on Rasheed Yekini-like trajectory.

Who thought up such a harebrained idea???
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 am JJ! Is the NFF that assigns Jerseys to players?
1naija,

It does not work that way. If you keep track of this, players actually have a jersey # that they claim and with the SE it is based on seniority and has always been. However, in this case, Ighalo retired and Osimhen had since claimed the jersey. I would have been shocked if Ighalo came back to claim the #9. Just a note, Vic Moses had claim to #11 before he retired but that number has since been claimed by Henry Onyekuru. However, because Onyekuru is not invited regularly Vic Moses can reclaim the number when Onyekuru is not in camp and that will mean that Onyekuru would have to seek another number if he returns after Vic Mo has already reclaimed it. There is a method to what seems to be disorganized.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 pm
1naija wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 am JJ! Is the NFF that assigns Jerseys to players?
1naija,

It does not work that way. If you keep track of this, players actually have a jersey # that they claim and with the SE it is based on seniority and has always been. However, in this case, Ighalo retired and Osimhen had since claimed the jersey. I would have been shocked if Ighalo came back to claim the #9. Just a note, Vic Moses had claim to #11 before he retired but that number has since been claimed by Henry Onyekuru. However, because Onyekuru is not invited regularly Vic Moses can reclaim the number when Onyekuru is not in camp and that will mean that Onyekuru would have to seek another number if he returns after Vic Mo has already reclaimed it. There is a method to what seems to be disorganized.
EII,

Uncle 1naira does have a point. It isn’t within the NFF’s purview to assign jersey numbers. That’s the coach’s prerogative. It would have made a lot more sense if Ighalo had said that Rohr offered him the #9 shirt. We, of course, have made a leap of faith in presuming that Rohr has control of player selection and other team affairs🙂❗️

Cheers.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

deanotito wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:14 pm
jette1 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:07 am Is ighalo this daft; why even open mouth about this. This could trigger a subliminal esteem issues
I agree. Somethings better left unsaid.

But stupid of the NFF to even offer the jersey to him. Ighalo was not that big of a star to take Osimhen’s jersey away, and Osimhen was already on Rasheed Yekini-like trajectory.

Who thought up such a harebrained idea???
Rohr I presume
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

How much has Yobo been paying you for your upkeep all these years? That is the question that needs a response! Olofofo!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?