SE Midfield conundrum….

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: SE Midfield conundrum….

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:17 pm You are misunderstanding what I have said.

I didn't say chemistry is not important.

I said our coaches are using "chemistry" as an excuse for their poor or corrupt selections.

I said if they are going to use the "chemistry" argument then our team Berra be firing on all cylinders and more than often it is not, which proves it wasn't really about "chemistry" but something else entirely.

For example you cannot say that playing Moses Simon, Collins, Musa etc is because of "chemistry" when our team and those players specifically look like crap and display nothing even remote to "chemistry".
Moses Simon gets on the field and stays on the field because he gives you defensive solidity. It becomes evident when he doesn't start. And those 'better' players who want to get on the field should double their defensive effort. Think Garba Lawal, think Olofinjana, just to name a few.

Once upon a time, Onyekuru was a one-way player... so were Chukwueze and Kalu. But you see them improve on their defensive role in an attempt to get on the team and stay on the team.

If we acknowledge that you defend as a team (unit) then you can see why some players will play ahead of others.

Personally, there are some players I won't play or players I will manage even with their defensive frailties.

Throughout the history of the Eagles there have been head-scratchers even with oyibo coaches. You do recall that it took fans to force Westerhoff to start Okocha and to start Chidi Nwanu among others... Same way we wondered about why certain players always seemed to get shirts before presumably better players...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:17 pm You are misunderstanding what I have said.

I said our coaches are using "chemistry" as an excuse for their poor or corrupt selections.

I said if they are going to use the "chemistry" argument then our team Berra be firing on all cylinders and more than often it is not, which proves it wasn't really about "chemistry" but something else entirely.

For example you cannot say that playing Moses Simon, Collins, Musa etc is because of "chemistry" when our team and those players specifically look like crap and display nothing even remote to "chemistry".
Okay. That makes more sense.
:rotf: :rotf:
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Moses Simon gets on the field and stays on the field because he gives you defensive solidity. It becomes evident when he doesn't start. And those 'better' players who want to get on the field should double their defensive effort. Think Garba Lawal, think Olofinjana, just to name a few.

Once upon a time, Onyekuru was a one-way player... so were Chukwueze and Kalu. But you see them improve on their defensive role in an attempt to get on the team and stay on the team.

If we acknowledge that you defend as a team (unit) then you can see why some players will play ahead of others.

Personally, there are some players I won't play or players I will manage even with their defensive frailties.

Throughout the history of the Eagles there have been head-scratchers even with oyibo coaches. You do recall that it took fans to force Westerhoff to start Okocha and to start Chidi Nwanu among others... Same way we wondered about why certain players always seemed to get shirts before presumably better players...
Cellular, you can’t make this argument using Okocha as an example….the guy carried teams and we found that him and Oliseh….did have the said chemistry….

The issue here is trial….

We can all agree that our football is an eye sore…pro Rohr or not…

That tells me that the team ain’t working chemistry or not….. and if it is broke try to fix it…..

How many friendlies as gone by and Rohr tried nobody new that wasn’t forced on him by injury?

That means that when Ndidi or Oshimen gets injured, we left scratching our heads for ideal replacements and using players for the 1st time in important games….

Call up players try them in friendlies and in the training ground….see if there is any Chemistry….

Not trying them enough and recalling old heads like Ighalo is a sin punishable by Sacking
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

bret- hart wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:39 am
Enyi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:06 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 pm
Enyi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:35 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:30 pm We don't have a "midfield conundrum"

We have a "ROHR CONUNDRUM"
Central Midfield shortage then….
There is no shortage.

Ovie Ejaria
Alhassan Yusuf
Obinna Nwobodo
Tom Dele Bashiru
Raphael Onyedika

Rohr is just a complete moron.
Come on…..

Yusuf is average, Nwobodo is ok. Bashiru is also ok…Onyedika, I like.

With the above options, we are still short
How do you know? Has Yusuf been giving a chance to compete for a SE shirt? The boy plays for one of the top clubs in Belguim in a position where we are light on bodies but is average? At least give him an opportunity to comepete.
My problem with Yusuf is exactly what I see in Tella….Hardwork

Yusuf is more talented, I think but Tella backs his with 200% effort

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enyi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:37 am

Cellular, you can’t make this argument using Okocha as an example….the guy carried teams and we found that him and Oliseh….did have the said chemistry….

Not earlier on in his Eagles career.

Dude was a big-time liability as he didn't offer anything defensively and he played to entertain himself (and the crowd).
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

BTW, Kelechi Nwakali is now playing as a AM for Huesca and starting. I dont know about you folks but imho he's a more impactful player than Iwobi in that position. Just saying
OCCUPY NFF!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Sunset wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:26 pm
Enyi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm Just thinking that we have a limited Midfield pool…at the moment.

Nathan Tella at Southampton us one that will play for us if asked….

Another option is Carney Chukwuemeka at Villa, come in last game and played well….he is highly regarded in England set-up so might be a bit harder to get but worth a try….

Disclaimer: I do not know this players (apart from Tella when he was at Arsenal - and not personally). I am not an agent either
Nathan Tella is a winger and form what i've seen of him he's not even as good as Lookman let alone the level required at the SE.
I like the young man. He is a ard worker, but he is not better than anything we have right now, not been better than the people knocking at the door.

We just need to admit that we have a bunch of average players at the moment.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The Moses Simon "defends" argument is a poor one.

First off which of our wingers is poor at defending?

Ejuke was running his socks off in the games he played. Chuks and Kalu have been doing the same. The Lookman of today defends more than he attacks. Dennis also runs his socks off, so I really don't see any defensive benefit for starting Simon. Not to mention that the so called "defensive" Simon completely list his man and cost us a goal vs Cape Verde in the away match.

Most important a wingers PRIMARY job is to attack, create chances, whip in crosses, and score.

You would never start a piss poor defender because he had a good scoring record.

Simon has ZERO GOALS AND ZERO ASSISTS IN OVER 2 YEARS. Plus he cannot cross to save his life.

If you think you just continue playing such a player when we have PLENTY of other options then you are mad, and are supporting everything that is wrong with our current crappy form.

How can you wonder why we are so poor at scoring goals when we rely on such mediocre players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:49 pm The Moses Simon "defends" argument is a poor one.

First off which of our wingers is poor at defending?

Ejuke was running his socks off in the games he played. Chuks and Kalu have been doing the same. The Lookman of today defends more than he attacks. Dennis also runs his socks off, so I really don't see any defensive benefit for starting Simon. Not to mention that the so called "defensive" Simon completely list his man and cost us a goal vs Cape Verde in the away match.

Most important a wingers PRIMARY job is to attack, create chances, whip in crosses, and score.

You would never start a piss poor defender because he had a good scoring record.

Simon has ZERO GOALS AND ZERO ASSISTS IN OVER 2 YEARS. Plus he cannot cross to save his life.

If you think you just continue playing such a player when we have PLENTY of other options then you are mad, and are supporting everything that is wrong with our current crappy form.

How can you wonder why we are so poor at scoring goals when we rely on such mediocre players.
VE,

But that position is not called the wing FORWARD. You seem to be thinking old style soccer. It is called a wide-midfielder. A midfielder's task is to both attack and defend. Now I understand why you wail, erroneously, when the SE list is announced and you misconstrue the list of wide p[layers as constituting forwards instead of midfielders. Now it is clear to me.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EII none of those aforementioned players are "wide midfielders" or even traditional wingers.

They are ALL wide forwards.

Some of them even play as strikers for their clubs.

Nigeria has a long tradition of using wide forwards and have lacked true old school wingers like Finidi George.

All of this semantically arguments are a distraction from my main point that Simon IS NOT PRODUCTIVE in his position and needs to be replaced asap. Or else we can expect the same toothless football we have been playing.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The continous defence of Moses Simon will never make sense to me, if it was just about been "hard working", then any one of us here can easily do that job, and we're not even professional footballers... Like give me more at this point.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:24 pm The continous defence of Moses Simon will never make sense to me, if it was just about been "hard working", then any one of us here can easily do that job, and we're not even professional footballers... Like give me more at this point.
It is unbelievable that we have watched SE become so toothless and unable to create chances and score goals, and folks cannot even identify the players responsible who have been favorites of the football clown coach.

A winger who has started most matches over the past 2 years. NOT ONE GOAL OR ASSIST. And folks are happy to say "he works hard" then wonder why we aren't scoring goals.

How many of our very few goals in world cup qualifying have been gifted to us ?

Without these gifted goals we would have been eliminated from the world cup.

But let's keep doing the same failed thing and hope for a different result. Unbelievable. No wonder we have sunk so low.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Violently agree.
Oliseh confirmed as much (during his NFF awards ceremony speech)
Cellular wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:24 am
Enyi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:37 am

Not earlier on in his Eagles career.

Dude was a big-time liability as he didn't offer anything defensively and he played to entertain himself (and the crowd).
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Okocha was a big time liability but it took a good coach….an average coach to tame him down….do u see Rohr doing the same? He would rather call back Mikel….

The Moses argument is piss poor the guy is average for us period but I think Rohr reads too much articles from owngoalNigeria…..

I think the guy that owns that website is Moses’s agent or his Mum….

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enyi wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 pm Okocha was a big time liability but it took a good coach….an average coach to tame him down….do u see Rohr doing the same? He would rather call back Mikel….

The Moses argument is piss poor the guy is average for us period but I think Rohr reads too much articles from owngoalNigeria…..

It boils down to coaching philosophy.

Does what the guy give you defensively compensate for any differential with a better offensive player?

Personally, IMO, for teams you want to overwhelm with superior firepower, he should NOT be starting. But for teams you will need better defensive solidity against, you will need his two-way abilities.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Cellular wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:30 am
Enyi wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 pm Okocha was a big time liability but it took a good coach….an average coach to tame him down….do u see Rohr doing the same? He would rather call back Mikel….

It boils down to coaching philosophy.

Does what the guy give you defensively compensate for any differential with a better offensive player?

Personally, IMO, for teams you want to overwhelm with superior firepower, he should NOT be starting. But for teams you will need better defensive solidity against, you will need his two-way abilities.
We can Agree on this one

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enyi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm Another option is Carney Chukwuemeka at Villa, come in last game and played well….he is highly regarded in England set-up so might be a bit harder to get but worth a try….
He's very highly regarded. Considered to have similar potential as Saka. Definitely worth a punt.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:09 pm
Enyi wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm Another option is Carney Chukwuemeka at Villa, come in last game and played well….he is highly regarded in England set-up so might be a bit harder to get but worth a try….
He's very highly regarded. Considered to have similar potential as Saka. Definitely worth a punt.
Dude is a baller. Can play AM but I think he's an England player.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

I will like to see Etebo get healthy and in playing condition.

I will also like for us to experiment pushing Aribo further up to truly play the number 10 role over Iheanacho with a base of Ndidi and Etebo behind him.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:22 pm I will like to see Etebo get healthy and in playing condition.

I will also like for us to experiment pushing Aribo further up to truly play the number 10 role over Iheanacho with a base of Ndidi and Etebo behind him.
We've seen what Etebo can do in a few tournaments already, he doesn't improve us much. That Chukwemeka is on a different level.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:22 pm I will like to see Etebo get healthy and in playing condition.

Yup!! Missing Etebo was a huge blow to our Nations cup chances from the get go, something that most fans fail to realize just how important he is. In terms of what he offers, he's more mobile than Ndidi while he also has better defensive awareness than an Aribo. Them as a 3 man midfield would make a lot of sense
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Sunset wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:47 pm

Yup!! Missing Etebo was a huge blow to our Nations cup chances from the get go, something that most fans fail to realize just how important he is. In terms of what he offers, he's more mobile than Ndidi while he also has better defensive awareness than an Aribo. Them as a 3 man midfield would make a lot of sense
Yup, Etebo and Ndidi have always had a solid partnership, the midfield duo were crucial to our Semi final journey in the last AFCON, that's why we need to revert back to 4-3-3 and not that outdated 4-2-4 crap Eguavoen fielded in this AFCON.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:25 am
Sunset wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:47 pm

Yup, Etebo and Ndidi have always had a solid partnership, the midfield duo were crucial to our Semi final journey in the last AFCON, that's why we need to revert back to 4-3-3 and not that outdated 4-2-4 crap Eguavoen fielded in this AFCON.
We actually played a 4-4-2... effectively providing width with one wide midfielder (Simon) with the other wide midfielder (Chukwueze) tucking in.

But you can believe that it is 424 without actually paying attention.

If you get a chance re-watch the matches... assuming you care enough to want to know.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...