UPDATE: Rohr May Stay till after AFCON.... Paul Bassey

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
UPDATE: Rohr May Stay till after AFCON.... Paul Bassey

Post by Enugu II »

Please read the story with extreme attention because it appears to dovetail with another story elsewhere (Cannot find it at the moment) that cited Minister Dare referring to a March date for sacking Rohr (Huh? That is after the AFCON). Now, if my recollection of the story is correct [IF] then water don pass gari ooooo........

Rohr’s Contract, a Taboo, Says Paul Bassey
December 7, 2021 3:22 am0
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2 ... ul-bassey/

Duro Ikhazuagbe

More facts have emerged on why the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has been unable to dispense with the services of Head Coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr despite overwhelming support from Nigerian football stakeholders.

A Member of the Technical Committee of the NFF, Elder Paul Bassey revealed yesterday on Brila FM that with barely weeks to the start of the AFCON in Cameroon, Super Eagles were not sure of who is leading them to tournament. He said that the federation may not be able to sack Rohr because of the type of contract he was offered.

“I don’t have the details of Gernot Rohr’s contract as a member of the Technical Committee (of the NFF).

“When people talk about the payoff of Rohr’s contract, I hardly offer my opinion. The contract is a taboo. Maybe this is me. Other members might have different opinion,” observed former CAF Media Committee member.

The respected Chairman of Akwa United FC believes the NFF got boxed in because of the type of contract entered into with the German gaffer.

“We have put ourselves in a situation where sacking Rohr will be very difficult. He has met his target and the situation is tough. Rohr might just go to Nations Cup and reach the semi final,” observed Bassey

Contrary to general opinion that the Technical Committee of the NFF have the power to override some of the decisions of the Coach, Bassey: “We don’t have the power people think that we have. We can not change the decisions of the coach,” he said as a matter of fact.

He denied any knowledge of attending any meeting where Rohr’s sack matter was tabled.

“Not to the best of my knowledge. I never sat with any committee. The Executive Committee of the NFF must have met. If the Technical Committee met, I wasn’t part of it or invited for such. You know that we have individual views on Gernot Rohr as the head coach of the Super Eagles.”

The NFF’s Technical Committee headed by Alh. Ahmed Fresh Yusuf as chairman was inaugurated in May, 2021 with Chief Felix Anyasi-Agwu as vice chairman.

Other members of the Committee include; Elder Paul Bassey, Alh Aminu Balele Kurfi, Barrister Isaac Danladi, Dahiru Sadi, Victor Ikpeba, and Mutiu Adepoju. Technical Director of the federation, Austin Eguavoen is the Secretary.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: UPDATE: Rohr May Stay till after AFCON.... Paul Bassey

Post by Tobi17 »

Unfortunately majority of Nigerians are apathetic and desensitized to the Nigerian football situation, I'm not even sure a lot of people will care how we perform at the AFCON... our situation is truly a poisoned chalice, the only way I'll pay attention to that tournament will be on the basis on which players Rohr selects in his list... if it's the same Musa, Ighalo, Simon Moses, and Ekong etc nonsense... then I might as well not even waste my time.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

If Rohr goes to Afcon and reaches his contract goal nothing changes. These fools obviously sign contracts but know little about contract law. If he doesn't, it puts the SE in a very precarious situation of having to hire a coach for the final rd of WC qualifiers within a couple months. Best option now is to embrace and encourage Rohr hoping the team does well. All other options are either too expensive or too risky.
OCCUPY NFF!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Look, the NFF is probably one of the more useless organizations I’ve ever encountered.

If you’re going to fire Rohr, given the proximity to the Afcon, it had to be done quickly, and then the replacement should have been someone who didn’t have a huge learning curve like an ex international (many) or a promising member of Rohr’s staff (none).

If they didn’t have the means to fire him, then you should have quickly come out to fully back him.

Instead they chose the worst of all worlds. What Paul Bassey Is discussing is an outright disaster. What kind of a coach would Rohr be to go to the Afcon under these circumstances?

By the way, don’t they have any renewal in all these technical committees? PB has been on this committee for 20 years, it seems
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:50 am If Rohr goes to Afcon and reaches his contract goal nothing changes. These fools obviously sign contracts but know little about contract law. If he doesn't, it puts the SE in a very precarious situation of having to hire a coach for the final rd of WC qualifiers within a couple months. Best option now is to embrace and encourage Rohr hoping the team does well. All other options are either too expensive or too risky.
So essentially, you want them to go to Rohr and say “no vex. We can’t fire you. Can you take the team to the tournament so you can potentially give us cause to fire you”?

What command would he have of his players under such a ridiculous arrangement? They have completely mismanaged the whole thing
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Rohr May Stay till after AFCON.... Paul Bassey.
Does the NFF have any other option? :?: :wink: :) :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

deanotito wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:57 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:50 am If Rohr goes to Afcon and reaches his contract goal nothing changes. These fools obviously sign contracts but know little about contract law. If he doesn't, it puts the SE in a very precarious situation of having to hire a coach for the final rd of WC qualifiers within a couple months. Best option now is to embrace and encourage Rohr hoping the team does well. All other options are either too expensive or too risky.
So essentially, you want them to go to Rohr and say “no vex. We can’t fire you. Can you take the team to the tournament so you can potentially give us cause to fire you”?

What command would he have of his players under such a ridiculous arrangement? They have completely mismanaged the whole thing
It's not what I want or what you want. That's the first thing people have to realize. Just because you don't like a coach's style does not supercede the contract terms.

If you've ever done any kind of business or worked for a company that contracts work you'd know opinions matter little in these cases.

Rohr is under contract with nff. According to the terms of his contract he's doing his part. If you want to fire him regardless, the contract states clearly what you have to do. Honour the contract you signed.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The dumbest thing to do would be to fire him AFTER the afcon.

You can kiss the WC goodbye.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

deanotito wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 am Look, the NFF is probably one of the more useless organizations I’ve ever encountered.

If you’re going to fire Rohr, given the proximity to the Afcon, it had to be done quickly, and then the replacement should have been someone who didn’t have a huge learning curve like an ex international (many) or a promising member of Rohr’s staff (none).

If they didn’t have the means to fire him, then you should have quickly come out to fully back him.

Instead they chose the worst of all worlds. What Paul Bassey Is discussing is an outright disaster. What kind of a coach would Rohr be to go to the Afcon under these circumstances?

By the way, don’t they have any renewal in all these technical committees? PB has been on this committee for 20 years, it seems
No doubt our NFF are not the most professional FA in the world but these people coming out to make comments don’t have a clue what is going on. The technical committee is just ceremonial. He even confessed that he hasn’t seen Rohr’s contract, then goes on to complain about the contract he didn’t know the contents. That is ment.

There is nothing complex about Rohr’s contract. It appears his main backer was not 100% in support of the sack but played along knowing that the main issue would be paying him off. Rohr’s is even ready to walk away but some people are sending conflicting messages.

This thing has dragged on for too long and I suspect it is intentional. There are others who want Rohr to go but want Salisu to take over and it would be easier to put him in charge when there isn’t enough time to get a better replacement. Selfish interests have taken over.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Camp opens in 21 days.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Contract Law is not the problem of the NFF. They have a top lawyer on the board and they can also afford the best lawyers if they want.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:47 pm
No doubt our NFF are not the most professional FA in the world but these people coming out to make comments don’t have a clue what is going on. The technical committee is just ceremonial. He even confessed that he hasn’t seen Rohr’s contract, then goes on to complain about the contract he didn’t know the contents. That is ment.

There is nothing complex about Rohr’s contract. It appears his main backer was not 100% in support of the sack but played along knowing that the main issue would be paying him off. Rohr’s is even ready to walk away but some people are sending conflicting messages.

This thing has dragged on for too long and I suspect it is intentional. There are others who want Rohr to go but want Salisu to take over and it would be easier to put him in charge when there isn’t enough time to get a better replacement. Selfish interests have taken over.
In other words, Pinnick really do not want Rohr gone. Ok, no problem!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:53 am The dumbest thing to do would be to fire him AFTER the afcon.

Its not the firing that is the real problem from a fan's perspective.
It is the hiring. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Bros, our politics is at play again. One doesn’t want him to go anymore, another one wants him to go and for Salisu to take over. But the sad thing is Rohr’s wants to go now, so he won’t be of any good use if forced to stay for AFCON.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:45 am Unfortunately majority of Nigerians are apathetic and desensitized to the Nigerian football situation, I'm not even sure a lot of people will care how we perform at the AFCON... our situation is truly a poisoned chalice, the only way I'll pay attention to that tournament will be on the basis on which players Rohr selects in his list... if it's the same Musa, Ighalo, Simon Moses, and Ekong etc nonsense... then I might as well not even waste my time.
...so you want new players who have not played in the qualification? nah, this is why Rohr is smarter than y'all, he will pick your aforementioned players and grind out wins and draws so as to piss many of y'all out :lol: :lol:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

deanotito wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 am Look, the NFF is probably one of the more useless organizations I’ve ever encountered.

...your business as usual Nigerian.
Go to any government (sports) ministry compound you will find many of them hanging around collecting freebies.
This is akin to those guy who wake up in the morning brush teeth dress up go to MMA to hang out all day hustling passengers.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mcal wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:22 pm

...your business as usual Nigerian.
Go to any government (sports) ministry compound you will find many of them hanging around collecting freebies.
This is akin to those guy who wake up in the morning brush teeth dress up go to MMA to hang out all day hustling passengers.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:45 am Unfortunately majority of Nigerians are apathetic and desensitized to the Nigerian football situation, I'm not even sure a lot of people will care how we perform at the AFCON... our situation is truly a poisoned chalice, the only way I'll pay attention to that tournament will be on the basis on which players Rohr selects in his list... if it's the same Musa, Ighalo, Simon Moses, and Ekong etc nonsense... then I might as well not even waste my time.
Tobi, this sounds more like what you feel at the moment and might have little or nothing to do with reality.
Cybereagles is not the beginning and end of football fandom.

Unless you are talking about 200m Nigerians (and not just football fans) then you might be right.
But as for Nigerian football fans themselves, I can assure you that the vast majority do care.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm
fabio wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Bros, our politics is at play again. One doesn’t want him to go anymore, another one wants him to go and for Salisu to take over. But the sad thing is Rohr’s wants to go now, so he won’t be of any good use if forced to stay for AFCON.
And **** should go. His position has become untenable.

When they wanted Keshi gone in the middle of AFCON they sabotaged him. Luckily Keshi had a Godfather at Aso Rock. **** is not that lucky.

Pinnick will have a change of mind on firing **** because the people who pay **** will cease paying and it will affect Pinnick's pocket. The only way 'service' continues is if he finds another oyibo or continues with the one who understands the arrangement.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:08 pm
Tobi, this sounds more like what you feel at the moment and might have little or nothing to do with reality.
Cybereagles is not the beginning and end of football fandom.

Unless you are talking about 200m Nigerians (and not just football fans) then you might be right.
But as for Nigerian football fans themselves, I can assure you that the vast majority do care.
Doc, it is mainly on CE that you people care about the Naijarian National Team.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:53 am The dumbest thing to do would be to fire him AFTER the afcon.

If they retain him, they have already built in an excuse why he won't do well and why he might not be able to reach the contractual target.

They should reach a settlement with him. Draw up a promissory note and pledge their FIFA funds towards settling him his outstanding remuneration. The problem here is the multiheaded hydra known as "corruption".
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

As previously stated in the past, I'll prefer Rohr to take the team to AFCON and prove us all wrong by winning the cup or get fired at the end of the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff. He needs to prove that he's amenable to change, as well as to seize this opportunity as a professional growth for himself.

I'll take my chance with him to take us to a competition that's almost a month away than one JJC or a political appointee. I'll even take my chance with him for the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff that's three months away (but ensure that NFF technical committee scrutinize his team selection) than one JJC or a political appointee.

If we don't come back home with AFCON Cup OR failed to qualify for World Cup (which I strongly doubt in my opinion) OR not much improvement with the team. Then we can fire him if he failed in any ONE of the aforementioned criteria. The new coach will have almost 9 months to familiarize with the team before World Cup (that's if we qualify) starts.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

iworo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm As previously stated in the past, I'll prefer Rohr to take the team to AFCON and prove us all wrong by winning the cup or get fired at the end of the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff. He needs to prove that he's amenable to change, as well as to seize this opportunity as a professional growth for himself.

I'll take my chance with him to take us to a competition that's almost a month away than one JJC or a political appointee. I'll even take my chance with him for the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff that's three months away (but ensure that NFF technical committee scrutinize his team selection) than one JJC or a political appointee.

If we don't come back home with AFCON Cup OR failed to qualify for World Cup (which I strongly doubt in my opinion) OR not much improvement with the team. Then we can fire him if he failed in any ONE of the aforementioned criteria. The new coach will have almost 9 months to familiarize with the team before World Cup (that's if we qualify) starts.
Firing him for not winning afcon will be stupid. Especially if he gets the team playing well.

He should be fired NOW or NEVER.

Dragging this thing to the afcon and beyond will just be very dumb.