UPDATE: Rohr May Stay till after AFCON.... Paul Bassey

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: UPDATE: Rohr May Stay till after AFCON.... Paul Bassey

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:33 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:08 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:45 am Unfortunately majority of Nigerians are apathetic and desensitized to the Nigerian football situation, I'm not even sure a lot of people will care how we perform at the AFCON... our situation is truly a poisoned chalice, the only way I'll pay attention to that tournament will be on the basis on which players Rohr selects in his list... if it's the same Musa, Ighalo, Simon Moses, and Ekong etc nonsense... then I might as well not even waste my time.
Tobi, this sounds more like what you feel at the moment and might have little or nothing to do with reality.
Cybereagles is not the beginning and end of football fandom.

Unless you are talking about 200m Nigerians (and not just football fans) then you might be right.
But as for Nigerian football fans themselves, I can assure you that the vast majority do care.
Doc, it is mainly on CE that you people care about the Naijarian National Team.
Chief that is what you have convinced yourself to be the case. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It is not exactly reflected in reality outside CE.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:32 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm
fabio wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:47 pm
No doubt our NFF are not the most professional FA in the world but these people coming out to make comments don’t have a clue what is going on. The technical committee is just ceremonial. He even confessed that he hasn’t seen Rohr’s contract, then goes on to complain about the contract he didn’t know the contents. That is ment.

There is nothing complex about Rohr’s contract. It appears his main backer was not 100% in support of the sack but played along knowing that the main issue would be paying him off. Rohr’s is even ready to walk away but some people are sending conflicting messages.

This thing has dragged on for too long and I suspect it is intentional. There are others who want Rohr to go but want Salisu to take over and it would be easier to put him in charge when there isn’t enough time to get a better replacement. Selfish interests have taken over.
In other words, Pinnick really do not want Rohr gone. Ok, no problem!
Bros, our politics is at play again. One doesn’t want him to go anymore, another one wants him to go and for Salisu to take over. But the sad thing is Rohr’s wants to go now, so he won’t be of any good use if forced to stay for AFCON.
And **** should go. His position has become untenable.

When they wanted Keshi gone in the middle of AFCON they sabotaged him. Luckily Keshi had a Godfather at Aso Rock. **** is not that lucky.

Pinnick will have a change of mind on firing **** because the people who pay **** will cease paying and it will affect Pinnick's pocket. The only way 'service' continues is if he finds another oyibo or continues with the one who understands the arrangement.
This your accusation against Pinnick get as it be. Why do you think he is taking a cut from Rohr’s salary unless I misunderstood your post?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:09 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:45 am Unfortunately majority of Nigerians are apathetic and desensitized to the Nigerian football situation, I'm not even sure a lot of people will care how we perform at the AFCON... our situation is truly a poisoned chalice, the only way I'll pay attention to that tournament will be on the basis on which players Rohr selects in his list... if it's the same Musa, Ighalo, Simon Moses, and Ekong etc nonsense... then I might as well not even waste my time.
Tobi, this sounds more like what you feel at the moment and might have little or nothing to do with reality.

Unless you are talking about 200m Nigerians (and not just football fans) then you might be right.
But as for Nigerian football fans themselves, I can assure you that the vast majority do care.
Chief that is what you have convinced yourself to be the case. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
When I was in Naija, I will be the one telling my friends that the Eagles have a game. Even to go watch games at the Stadium or travel to Uyo, they look at you like you have too much money or are not well. Compare it to the fandom of EPL matches...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 pm
This your accusation against Pinnick get as it be. Why do you think he is taking a cut from Rohr’s salary unless I misunderstood your post?
Naaaa. Saying that he gets money to pay a foreign coach and the people who give him money (Sponsors) like Benny Peters won't cough up dough for local coach... so it affects Pinnick because he now has to find money from elsewhere. Money that he was keeping for himself now has to be shared with a local coach.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:59 pm
iworo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm As previously stated in the past, I'll prefer Rohr to take the team to AFCON and prove us all wrong by winning the cup or get fired at the end of the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff. He needs to prove that he's amenable to change, as well as to seize this opportunity as a professional growth for himself.

I'll take my chance with him to take us to a competition that's almost a month away than one JJC or a political appointee. I'll even take my chance with him for the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff that's three months away (but ensure that NFF technical committee scrutinize his team selection) than one JJC or a political appointee.

If we don't come back home with AFCON Cup OR failed to qualify for World Cup (which I strongly doubt in my opinion) OR not much improvement with the team. Then we can fire him if he failed in any ONE of the aforementioned criteria. The new coach will have almost 9 months to familiarize with the team before World Cup (that's if we qualify) starts.
Firing him for not winning afcon will be stupid. Especially if he gets the team playing well.

He should be fired NOW or NEVER.

Dragging this thing to the afcon and beyond will just be very dumb.
Firing Rohr is much harder than typing your opinion on the internet. There's a reason why there's very little precedent for what you're wanting them to do, they put terms and conditions in contracts for a reason. You only need to be 13yrs old with a computer to post on CE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

The real issue is NFF has put Nigerians in a corner. By design. With previous experience with Keshi, It appears Pinnick has learnt what needed to be learnt well. You have a coach who is clueless with his selections, no tactical nous, and has zero game management/understanding to say the least. Selecting Rohr was, and is still NOT about football. Pinnick with his knowledge of the NFF funding structure, knows the only way to dispose of a coach legally is by payoff. Pinnick entered a contract still unknown to key members of the NFF or an oversight body. If the organization doesn't have money to get rid of a coach, you must keep him.

Fans of the SuperEagles have been scammed.

We must have the courage to face the facts, and respond accordingly.
Let us come to an unanimous agreement on 2 items.

1st item is Rohr cannot be in camp when the AFCON starts. He cannot be responsible for player selection, control and management effective 12 NOON Nigerian Time as of Dec 8th, 2021. He can be the coach, still have his contract with Pinnick/NFF, stay in Germany, wherever, and still get paid whatever. Yes, we are in situation, we have to pay for two coaches at the same time. A new low thanks to Pinnick. The SuperEagles of Nigeria, the players (and their future), the brand, the reflected glory, the financial impact of a good performance is bigger than what the fraud masquerading as a coach is presenting. We are better of taking a ambitious high school coach from anywhere in Nigeria than dealing with the Rohr mess. It has reached that level.

Paying for two coaches might just bring the right level of attention, outrage, and oversight both Pinnick, and Rohr have been avoiding.

2nd item. Pinnick knows the presence of Rohr has allowed him to avoid being accountable, to get football stakeholders from focusing on the performance of all Nigerian teams under his watch. It has been abysmal. Classic red herring.
Just like in the current COVID19 pandemic, proper treatment/responses and/or recovery after infection is dependent, and correlated with a patient having underlying issues, among other factors. Pinnick is the underlying, root cause of all this mess. His foreign only mantra has set us back. He is now the virus infecting Nigerian football. After Rohr leaves, Pinnick's tenure, set to expire after the World Cup, must be his last. He must NOT be allowed to be involved with anything involving Nigerian Football. Pinnick knows his detractors' attention would be refocused correctly on him if Rohr leaves.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:32 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm
fabio wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:47 pm
No doubt our NFF are not the most professional FA in the world but these people coming out to make comments don’t have a clue what is going on. The technical committee is just ceremonial. He even confessed that he hasn’t seen Rohr’s contract, then goes on to complain about the contract he didn’t know the contents. That is ment.

There is nothing complex about Rohr’s contract. It appears his main backer was not 100% in support of the sack but played along knowing that the main issue would be paying him off. Rohr’s is even ready to walk away but some people are sending conflicting messages.

This thing has dragged on for too long and I suspect it is intentional. There are others who want Rohr to go but want Salisu to take over and it would be easier to put him in charge when there isn’t enough time to get a better replacement. Selfish interests have taken over.
In other words, Pinnick really do not want Rohr gone. Ok, no problem!
Bros, our politics is at play again. One doesn’t want him to go anymore, another one wants him to go and for Salisu to take over. But the sad thing is Rohr’s wants to go now, so he won’t be of any good use if forced to stay for AFCON.
And **** should go. His position has become untenable.

When they wanted Keshi gone in the middle of AFCON they sabotaged him. Luckily Keshi had a Godfather at Aso Rock. **** is not that lucky.

Pinnick will have a change of mind on firing **** because the people who pay **** will cease paying and it will affect Pinnick's pocket. The only way 'service' continues is if he finds another oyibo or continues with the one who understands the arrangement.
Cell

Well, remember that some revisionists here claim that the NFF never sabotaged Keshi. Phew! They think we are dumb. Not only was Keshi sabotaged at the AFCON but in the qualifiers against Sudan they paid some touts to carry placards calling for the firing of Keshi. All designed to rem I ve Keshi and replace him with a White God. They eventually got their say using Green to ditch Keshi on his call up of a no-NPFL player. Since then they have been muted as Rohr called up a semi pro from Europe.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 pm

When I was in Naija, I will be the one telling my friends that the Eagles have a game. Even to go watch games at the Stadium or travel to Uyo, they look at you like you have too much money or are not well. Compare it to the fandom of EPL matches...
Cellular,
You are a fit, healthy and possibly still-handsome middle aged man, right? :taunt:
Which means you are not immediately conscious of your age.

Your friends are dealing with the realities of life. In that age bracket the SE may not be a top priority.
My uncles and dad were the same. Even though a genuine football fan, my dad couldn't understand the energy with which I'd bounce out of the house with no ticket and no money to go watch the 'Green' Eagles at the nearby National Stadium in those days.
E don begin old. Plus my school fees were more important.
Life.

More often, he'd come back from work and ask, "kini scores?" :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

iworo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm As previously stated in the past, I'll prefer Rohr to take the team to AFCON and prove us all wrong by winning the cup or get fired at the end of the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff. He needs to prove that he's amenable to change, as well as to seize this opportunity as a professional growth for himself.

I'll take my chance with him to take us to a competition that's almost a month away than one JJC or a political appointee. I'll even take my chance with him for the 2022 World Cup qualifier - CAF third round playoff that's three months away (but ensure that NFF technical committee scrutinize his team selection) than one JJC or a political appointee.

If we don't come back home with AFCON Cup OR failed to qualify for World Cup (which I strongly doubt in my opinion) OR not much improvement with the team. Then we can fire him if he failed in any ONE of the aforementioned criteria. The new coach will have almost 9 months to familiarize with the team before World Cup (that's if we qualify) starts.
Firing him for not winning afcon will be stupid. Especially if he gets the team playing well.

Firing Rohr is much harder than typing your opinion on the internet. There's a reason why there's very little precedent for what you're wanting them to do, they put terms and conditions in contracts for a reason. You only need to be 13yrs old with a computer to post on CE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 pm
Naaaa. Saying that he gets money to pay a foreign coach and the people who give him money (Sponsors) like Benny Peters won't cough up dough for local coach... so it affects Pinnick because he now has to find money from elsewhere. Money that he was keeping for himself now has to be shared with a local coach.
Oh ok. I don fear.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Rohr cant win anything for Nigeria.

My preference is for the NFF is to hire new coach now. The new coach can use 2 week campaing before Afcon aand the tournment to prepare the team for world cup qualifer.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Keeping Rohr after 2018 world cup was a mistake I remember saying fire him immediately afterwards. Iactually wanted him gone afer the Croatia game. Allowing him to cointnue after asking him to quit would be foolish and risky What would be h is motivation to to peroem for Nigeria? What if he has a dreadful tournamet, Nigeria will be scdrambling to get ready for world cup qualifiers. NFFneed to make the move now. Ask for donations to help pay him off.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

You are actually right. I have to keep reminding our so-called football fans including some friends that the SE is playing. Even for the games played in lagos, it almost the same crowd that turns up. Majority of football “fans” only seem interested in EPL and Champions League. Even most at the stadium can’t even name our players, except the EPL ones like Ndidi, Kelechi and Iwobi. It’s really bad.

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Albeit that the team played extremely well throughout the competition and lost the final game in a nail biter thrilling finish (i.e. penalties after regular time, dubious ref call, etc). You never say NEVER in any situation.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I hear NFF will owe Rohr about 600K dollars. Aren't there sponsors that can foot thebill? There are Nigeria senators that earn more than that early. y 600K is not a lot of money. My college is owing a coach well over 14 million dollars. Why are people compaling about the world cup qualifiers in Qatar, whenthe NFF can't even afford to pay off a coach they don't want.

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:50 pm I hear NFF will owe Rohr about 600K dollars. Aren't there sponsors that can foot thebill? There are Nigeria senators that earn more than that early. y 600K is not a lot of money. My college is owing a coach well over 14 million dollars. Why are people compaling about the world cup qualifiers in Qatar, whenthe NFF can't even afford to pay off a coach they don't want.
Understatement of the Day Award to you my esteemed brother :). They can't even afford to pay salaries religiously/consistently to coaches that they want or hired. And for some reason, y'all waiting for manna to drop from heaven to pay off a coach they don't want :D :D . Seriously!! In any case, nothing is impossible in Nigeria.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

iworo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:50 pm I hear NFF will owe Rohr about 600K dollars. Aren't there sponsors that can foot thebill? There are Nigeria senators that earn more than that early. y 600K is not a lot of money. My college is owing a coach well over 14 million dollars. Why are people compaling about the world cup qualifiers in Qatar, whenthe NFF can't even afford to pay off a coach they don't want.
Understatement of the Day Award to you my esteemed brother :). They can't even afford to pay salaries religiously/consistently to coaches that they want or hired. And for some reason, y'all waiting for manna to drop from heaven to pay off a coach they don't want :D :D . Seriously!! In any case, nothing is impossible in Nigeria.
Iworoo

Money is malleable, you know. Ability to pay Rohr is not limited to NFf's current coffees. There are a variety of options whenever money is involved. The task is activating such options but they always exist.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:50 am If Rohr goes to Afcon and reaches his contract goal nothing changes. These fools obviously sign contracts but know little about contract law. If he doesn't, it puts the SE in a very precarious situation of having to hire a coach for the final rd of WC qualifiers within a couple months. Best option now is to embrace and encourage Rohr hoping the team does well. All other options are either too expensive or too risky.
I predicted or rather assumed Rohr will still be our coach come the AFCON tournament and it's looking such will be the case. Now, let me also predict Rohr will lead us to the world-cup in Qatar based on how things are going. Our only option at moment seems the NFF need to assist Rohr in anyway they possibly could, else we are likely going to see (get) what we least expected from this Rohr's saga.
Last edited by Odas on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

deanotito wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 am Look, the NFF is probably one of the more useless organizations I’ve ever encountered.

If you’re going to fire Rohr, given the proximity to the Afcon, it had to be done quickly, and then the replacement should have been someone who didn’t have a huge learning curve like an ex international (many) or a promising member of Rohr’s staff (none).

If they didn’t have the means to fire him, then you should have quickly come out to fully back him.

Instead they chose the worst of all worlds. What Paul Bassey Is discussing is an outright disaster. What kind of a coach would Rohr be to go to the Afcon under these circumstances?

By the way, don’t they have any renewal in all these technical committees? PB has been on this committee for 20 years, it seems
... exactly!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:20 pm
iworo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 pm
Iworoo

Money is malleable, you know. Ability to pay Rohr is not limited to NFf's current coffees. There are a variety of options whenever money is involved. The task is activating such options but they always exist.
My brother, money is malleable, but also subjective as well. Things get done when the political willpower is there. Is NFF really motivated to get rid of Rohr?? That's the one million dollar question bro.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:29 pm Rohr cant win anything for Nigeria.

My preference is for the NFF is to hire new coach now. The new coach can use 2 week campaing before Afcon aand the tournment to prepare the team for world cup qualifer.
I think hiring a NEW coach is the best option, but such takes us to what happened in the past when we did the same thing and it didn't end well. As things stand now, we are in DEEP mess
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

There is a lot of apathy even on the streets. We on CE tend to have more passion than the regular Nigerian for the SE. This whole debacle is making it even worse.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:37 pm

You are actually right. I have to keep reminding our so-called football fans including some friends that the SE is playing. Even for the games played in lagos, it almost the same crowd that turns up. Majority of football “fans” only seem interested in EPL and Champions League. Even most at the stadium can’t even name our players, except the EPL ones like Ndidi, Kelechi and Iwobi. It’s really bad.
That has been my experience as well.