Rohr's record in competitive matches with Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Rohr's record in competitive matches with Nigeria

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:35 am
Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:39 am
megapro wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:20 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:27 pm
megapro wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 pm Long time Bros

Amodu lost only two AFCON SF and the Egypt 2010 AFCON opener

Both never had fantastic test games

Rohr won 3 from 14 friendly matches
I thought Rohr won more friendlies. But for me friendlies are neither here nor there. The big ones are the competitive games. In Rohr's case, his friendlies were mostly against top ranked teams.

Thanks for the data and your presence here is needed frequently to keep us up with the data.
E2

Rohr won only 3 friendlies but from 17 if you add the 0:4 to Mexico
Won just 1 from last 14

Senegal 1:1
Argentina 4:2
Poland 1:0
Serbia 0:2
Congo 1:1
England 1:2
Czech 0:1
Uganda 0:0
Egypt 1:0
Zimbabwe 0:0
Ukraine 2:2
Brazil 1:1
Algeria 0:1
Tunisia 1:1
Cameroun 0:1
Cameroun 0:0
Mexico 0:4

But like Amodu (who never lost any Qualifiers in several stints and alongside Keshi that did not record any loss in their first 16 competitive games for the NT) said
"Friendly matches are to get together and rub minds"

Rohr has won none of his last 8
Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

Very poor friendly record. And this is one of reasons the team has regressed. Rohr has not taken advantage of the friendly games to work on and improve our weak points.
These are the kind of fact-based discussions I prefer, not all the emotional stuff.
The case for sacking Ruhr is an emotional one, not a factual one.
Which is fair enough, but let us at least have an honest discussion and acknowledge it.

This is a very poor friendly record withough a doubt. But it’s interesting that the restless crowd has always maintained that “friendlies don’t count”, esp when early successes vs Brazil, Ukraine and Argentina were being discussed.

Now that argument implies that competitive games are the legitimate marker for performance, but the results do not support their “dismiss him” argument. Not even remotely. That’s why they are in a bind.

So they are left with the emotional argument anchored on “unimpressive play” and the undebatable yet overstretched difference between a one-off AFCON gold and an AFCON bronze which ultimately hinged on a brilliant 90th minute Mahrez penalty….okay, 89th minute. :rotf:

That’s the nature of the debate and doesn’t to me sound like an honest one.

Having said that, it does not take away from the subjective point - which I actually share - that Rohr's teams have been very unimpressive in the last two years.

But they’ve got the results.
So… :???:
To be honest, my wanting Rohr sacked is purely for the unimpressive play on the pitch and not on results or meeting his targets. It’s the same reason I supported sacking Amodu after our poor showing at the 2010 AFCON. Though seeing Rohr’s poor friendlies record is even more ammunition. You can’t just show up for friendlies and not put in enough effort to get results or to work at improving the team for the next match.

It was much better when he first started but it had gradually gotten worse since the World Cup. And he is primarily responsible. Yes we have lost a few fantastic players and some of our key players have lost form, but the Oga should have been preparing quality replacements over the years. That is what he is being paid $45k per month for. If all he is doing is calling up any Nigerian footballer playing in Europe, even me can do that. He needs to find the ones that would fit his system and play well with the players he currently has.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:54 amIt’s the same reason I supported sacking Amodu after our poor showing at the 2010 AFCON.
But do you agree now that sacking Amodu in 2010 was a mistake, and in hindsight, he was the best-placed coach to take that team to the World Cup?

BTW, I was also for Amodu's sacking then. But how things turned out opened my eyes, and it made me take a closer look at 1998 and 2002.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:41 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:54 amIt’s the same reason I supported sacking Amodu after our poor showing at the 2010 AFCON.
But do you agree now that sacking Amodu in 2010 was a mistake, and in hindsight, he was the best-placed coach to take that team to the World Cup?

BTW, I was also for Amodu's sacking then. But how things turned out opened my eyes, and it made me take a closer look at 1998 and 2002.
At least you guys are honest.
I can’t remember whether I supported sacking Amodu at the time or not, but knowing my aversion to injustice and knee-jerkism, I probably didn’t.

But as you know, the revised narrative today is that it was the wicked NFA that lynched and sacked him; whereas the truth is that the whole country was on the man’s case, not based on results, but on his “unattractive” style and his “poor results” i.e. AFCON bronze.

Does that sound familiar? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

:clap:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Please I'll laff first
Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:03 pm

I can’t remember whether I supported sacking Amodu at the time or not, but knowing my aversion to injustice and knee-jerkism, I probably didn’t.

But as you know, the revised narrative today is that it was the wicked NFA that lynched and sacked him; whereas the truth is that the whole country was on the man’s case, not based on results, but on his “unattractive” style and his “poor results” i.e. AFCON bronze.

megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

megapro wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:13 pm :clap:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Please I'll laff first

Here’s a reminder from Feb 2002 of just one of the Amodu sackings, repeated believe it or not, years later. Note the term “huge public outcry”.
Nigeria sack coach Shaibu
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 828030.stm
Amodu paid for a poor African Nations Cup campaign
Nigeria's World Cup plans have been thrown into disarray by the sacking of coach Shaibu Amodu.
Amodu paid the price for a disappointing African Nations Cup campaign in which the Super Eagles went out at the semi-final stage. (Bronze)
The tournament in Mali was followed by a huge public outcry in Nigeria for the team to be reorganised before the World Cup in Japan and South Korea.
Amodu, 42, only took charge of the side last April after Dutchman Jo Bonfrere was sacked in the middle of the country's World Cup qualifying campaign.
His departure is good news for Nigeria's World Cup opponents England, Argentina and Sweden, who have been drawn to face Nigeria in the so-called Group of Death.

Undeniable facts. :oops:
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Seriously I knew the day will come when people will come and say they were wrong for hounding Amodu

I supported him based on his results
I posted his results
The whole CE (almost) wanted to insult me and asked for his statistics when we drew with Tunisia at home 2:2

We use emotions, and on the spot ones

Amodu won 6 straight WCq matches but when he drew 0:0 in Mozambique he was placed under the spotlight
The manner he beat Kenya 3:0 made many hate him and demanded for his sack
That Kenya dominated us at home and Amodu cannot take the team to the WC
Emotions
The draw against Tunisia at home was celebrated as justification for their calls for his sack

Like Rohr he met ALL targets
But was fired

I deliberately posted Rohr's record in competitive matches both here and other places.
Many seem shocked at the results

I hope we will learn this time
<
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

To be honest, I don’t believe Amodu would have made much of a difference if he took us to the World Cup. His team played ugly football at AFCON. Very ugly. But yes, maybe we should have just left him, knowing that we would be going there to play the same ugly football. Just like some of us have accepted that Rohr can’t improve us but we should just let him be until we can “afford” to sack him when he doesn’t meet his targets.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:54 am

I thought Rohr won more friendlies. But for me friendlies are neither here nor there. The big ones are the competitive games. In Rohr's case, his friendlies were mostly against top ranked teams.

Thanks for the data and your presence here is needed frequently to keep us up with the data.
E2

Won just 1 from last 14

But like Amodu (who never lost any Qualifiers in several stints and alongside Keshi that did not record any loss in their first 16 competitive games for the NT) said

Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

Very poor friendly record. And this is one of reasons the team has regressed. Rohr has not taken advantage of the friendly games to work on and improve our weak points.
These are the kind of fact-based discussions I prefer, not all the emotional stuff.
Which is fair enough, but let us at least have an honest discussion and acknowledge it.

This is a very poor friendly record withough a doubt. But it’s interesting that the restless crowd has always maintained that “friendlies don’t count”, esp when early successes vs Brazil, Ukraine and Argentina were being discussed.

Now that argument implies that competitive games are the legitimate marker for performance, but the results do not support their “dismiss him” argument. Not even remotely. That’s why they are in a bind.

So they are left with the emotional argument anchored on “unimpressive play” and the undebatable yet overstretched difference between a one-off AFCON gold and an AFCON bronze which ultimately hinged on a brilliant 90th minute Mahrez penalty….okay, 89th minute. :rotf:

Having said that, it does not take away from the subjective point - which I actually share - that Rohr's teams have been very unimpressive in the last two years.

To be honest, my wanting Rohr sacked is purely for the unimpressive play on the pitch and not on results or meeting his targets. It’s the same reason I supported sacking Amodu after our poor showing at the 2010 AFCON. Though seeing Rohr’s poor friendlies record is even more ammunition. You can’t just show up for friendlies and not put in enough effort to get results or to work at improving the team for the next match.

It was much better when he first started but it had gradually gotten worse since the World Cup. And he is primarily responsible. Yes we have lost a few fantastic players and some of our key players have lost form, but the Oga should have been preparing quality replacements over the years. That is what he is being paid $45k per month for. If all he is doing is calling up any Nigerian footballer playing in Europe, even me can do that. He needs to find the ones that would fit his system and play well with the players he currently has.
Rohr's friendly results are
Just friendly results
In Germany they are called testspiele (test matches) where things are tested. No coach is hung or celebrated for winning or losing friendly matches
What matters are Punktspiele, Pfhlichtspiele (competitive matches) which are qualifiers and tournaments
megapro 2012:
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Very familiar. :rotf: What's even more fascinating is that many of the people here in 2010 shouting "Only the RESULTS matter", "FACTS not feelings", are the same people clamouring for Rohrs' sacking now. Just goes to show they were operating on feelings all along. :rotf:

I think the problem is that we often overestimate how good our current pool of players are and that all we need is to change the coach to become world-beaters. People like VE will be posting lists upon lists of players. The fact is, most of them are very average and not better than the guys already in the team. You can swap one for the other, and nothing changes.

We needed to accept in 2010 that the team we had built for the past two years was only capable of AFCON bronze. Changing the coach at short notice will not suddenly build you a new team. If Amodu had taken that team to the WC, we would’ve had a more stable team that had played under the same system for two years. Maybe, just maybe, that would’ve provided that little something extra that was needed to squeeze into the second round.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

megapro wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:30 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:54 am

E2

Won just 1 from last 14

Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

Rohr's friendly results are
Just friendly results
In Germany they are called testspiele (test matches) where things are tested. No coach is hung or celebrated for winning or losing friendly matches
What matters are Punktspiele, Pfhlichtspiele (competitive matches) which are qualifiers and tournaments
But I strongly believe Rohr has not made good use of his test matches. And the decline in the performance of his team in competitive matches is the proof. And it’s about to get worse at the AFCON and the last 2-leg WC qualifiers in March.

megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Orion wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:51 pm

Very familiar. :rotf: What's even more fascinating is that many of the people here in 2010 shouting "Only the RESULTS matter", "FACTS not feelings", are the same people clamouring for Rohrs' sacking now. Just goes to show they were operating on feelings all along. :rotf:

I think the problem is that we often overestimate how good our current pool of players are and that all we need is to change the coach to become world-beaters. People like VE will be posting lists upon lists of players. The fact is, most of them are very average and not better than the guys already in the team. You can swap one for the other, and nothing changes.

We needed to accept in 2010 that the team we had built for the past two years was only capable of AFCON bronze. Changing the coach at short notice will not suddenly build you a new team. If Amodu had taken that team to the WC, we would’ve had a more stable team that had played under the same system for two years. Maybe, just maybe, that would’ve provided that little something extra that was needed to squeeze into the second round.
I agree with everything written here
megapro 2012:
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

E2

Won just 1 from last 14

Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

What are you guyz talking about??? Firstly, it was a free kick and not a penalty!
After 4 yrs of playing together, how did Westerhoff's team look? How did they play?...Good! Now compare this to Rohr's team, what is the development trend? Upwards or downwards? Rohr's team play as if they are meeting for the very first time! From all teams that qualified for the Playoffs, we scored the fewest amount of goals despite being in a very weak group.
Like someone pointed out, he lost majority of the friendlies and failed to improve on the teams weakness, is that not what friendlies are for?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The call for Rohr's sacking is based on poor home results in the qualifiers that were shocking to state the least. Did he have a good result away? Yes and the win against CPV with a nonregular team was celebrated. If he had obtained a draw there it would have been celebrated. The outcry, thus, was following poor home results. That is the nuance. In my view it was never about overall results. Afterall the team had qualified for the final stage of the WCQ.

Why did it matter that home results were not good? Clearly, the home results were not obtained against big teams like Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria ir the lik we s but against Sierra Leone, CPV, and a loss to a very poor side. That had been the angst. In essence, there us a genuine concern if where the team is headed.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

gochino wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:21 pm

E2

Won just 1 from last 14

Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

What are you guyz talking about??? Firstly, it was a free kick and not a penalty!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo for spotting the typo! :rotf:
After 4 yrs of playing together, how did Westerhoff's team look? How did they play?...Good! Now compare this to Rohr's team, what is the development trend? Upwards or downwards? Rohr's team play as if they are meeting for the very first time! From all teams that qualified for the Playoffs, we scored the fewest amount of goals despite being in a very weak group.
Like someone pointed out, he lost majority of the friendlies and failed to improve on the teams weakness, is that not what friendlies are for?
Your facts are not being contested.
But do they trump the key facts that do not work in your favour?
Do you even recognise those facts?
No.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:27 pm The call for Rohr's sacking is based on poor home results in the qualifiers that were shocking to state the least. Did he have a good result away? Yes and the win against CPV with a nonregular team was celebrated. If he had obtained a draw there it would have been celebrated. The outcry, thus, was following poor home results. That is the nuance. In my view it was never about overall results. Afterall the team had qualified for the final stage of the WCQ.
:wink:
Why did it matter than home results were nit good? Clearly, the home results were not obtained against big teams like Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria ir the lik we s but against Sierra Leone, CPV, and a loss to a very poor side. That had been the angst. In essence, there us a genuine concern if where the team is headed.
Prof clearly you have not been paying attention.
The calls for Rohrs dismissal started long long before the spate of poor home results.
Even before the WC 2018 there were rumblings., not to mention after the painful Argentina loss.

Let’s not make ‘wuruwuru argument:lol:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:43 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:27 pm The call for Rohr's sacking is based on poor home results in the qualifiers that were shocking to state the least. Did he have a good result away? Yes and the win against CPV with a nonregular team was celebrated. If he had obtained a draw there it would have been celebrated. The outcry, thus, was following poor home results. That is the nuance. In my view it was never about overall results. Afterall the team had qualified for the final stage of the WCQ.
:wink:
Why did it matter than home results were nit good? Clearly, the home results were not obtained against big teams like Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria ir the lik we s but against Sierra Leone, CPV, and a loss to a very poor side. That had been the angst. In essence, there us a genuine concern if where the team is headed.
The calls for Rohrs dismissal started long long before the spate of poor home results.
Even before the WC 2018 there were rumblings., not to mention after the painful Argentina loss.

I believe you have to look at that as a separate call. As far as I interprete it the first call was based on use of local talents and did not focus on results. It dominated before he was renewed. It led to the public statement by Pinnick at the time that included that Rohr will spend more time in Nigeria, pay attention to local talent. Yobo was detailed to watch NPFL etc.

This current call is a bit different and followed a spate of poor home results.

In my view, the calls had been based on slightly different issues. At least that is how I see it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

E2

Won just 1 from last 14

Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

Up to the World Cup in 2018 almost nobody faulted Rohr. Since then we have seen him lose to the likes of South Africa (at home), Madagascar and CAR (at home). We were defending a draw in the last few minutes against Cape Verde. Are these not facts as well?

It is also good that we can see Amodu's record despite him often coming on in challenging circumstances.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:21 pm Up to the World Cup in 2018 almost nobody faulted Rohr. Since then we have seen him lose to the likes of South Africa (at home), Madagascar and CAR (at home). We were defending a draw in the last few minutes against Cape Verde. Are these not facts as well?

It is also good that we can see Amodu's record despite him often coming on in challenging circumstances.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:43 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:27 pm

And this is where I like to distinguish myself from the anti Rohr brigade who have ALWAYS been against him and ALWAYS campaigned for his sack. All on the name of some twisted logic and anger at how "local coaches are treated"

The complaining of the world cup failure, in literally the toughest group, and the bronze finish at afcon, after failing to even qualify for the previous 2, we're unwarranted by the anti Rohr brigade, and there is a sense of "I told you so" amongst them.

The truth is that our shocking dip in form is fairly recent phenomena, and it started post Covid, when Rohr seemed to get lazy and was stuck on auto pilot picking the same players, regardless of form. He failed to address problem areas and like Keshi before him started to create an atmosphere where there was no competition and starters became complacent.

I defended Rohr until it was untenable. The disgrace we witnessed over the past 4 matches shows Rohr has completely lost the plot, highlighted by the fact he recalled Ighalo. He cannot even identify the problem, so his "solutions" are blind shots in the dark. The man is still praising Moses Simon after 2 years of uselessness and telling us "ighalo needs more time to settle in"

The guy is a complete liability and he has shown absolutely no sign that he has learned from his many mistakes.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:21 pm

E2

Won just 1 from last 14

Won 3
Drew 8
Lost 6

Up to the World Cup in 2018 almost nobody faulted Rohr. Since then we have seen him lose to the likes of South Africa (at home), Madagascar and CAR (at home). We were defending a draw in the last few minutes against Cape Verde. Are these not facts as well?

You want to see his record?
megapro 2012:
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

so his real record is 26 - 14 - 12 / 52 = 50 % win. Megapro alway cherry picking - trying to play games with stats.... :(

E2

Won just 1 from last 14

megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Amodu Shaibu's Record in Competitive matches with Nigeria
1995-2010

1. Japan 3:0 W
2. Argentina 0:0 D
3. Mexico 1:1 D

4. Burkina Faso 2:0 W
5. Kenya 1:1 D

6. Bukina fasso 0:0 D

7. Namibia 4:0 W
8. Madagascar 0:0 D
9. Liberia 2:0 W
10. Madagasca 1:0 W
11. Namibia 2:0 W
12. Sudan 4:0 W
13. Ghana 3:0 W
14. Algeria 1:0 W
15. Mali 0:0 W
16. Liberia 1:0 W
17. Ghana 1:0 W
18. Senegal 1:2 L
19. Mali 1:0 W

20. South Africa 2:0 W
21. Sierra Leone 1:0 W
22. Equat. Guinea 1:0 W
23. Equat. Guinea 2:0 W
24. South Africa 1:0 W
25. Seirra-Leone 4:1 W
26. Mozambique 0:0 D
27. Kenya 3:0 W
28. Tunisia 0:0 D
29. Tunisia 2:2 D
30. Mozambique 1:0 W
31. kenya 3:2 W
32. Egypt 1:3 L
33. Benin 1:0 W
34. Mozambique 3:0 W
35. Zambia 0:0* D
36. Ghana 0:1 L
37. Algeria 1:0 W

* = Won on PKs.

P37 W24 D10 L3

:clap:

Retrospectively
In hindsight
Today
In a hundred years
This is a decent result card

No loss in first 17
More frightening -15 clean sheets in those first 17
Conceded in only 2

To be fair majority wanted him out
Not once but twice

Nigeria failed this man
Nigerians failed this man

But many atoned by writing beautiful poems and tributes after his demise
Last edited by megapro on Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megapro 2012:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

megapro wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:29 pm Rohr 66%
Amodu 65%
Westerhof 59%
Keshi 50%

*Rohr*
23-6-6
won 23/35
*66%*

*Amodu*
24-10-3
won 24/37
*65%*

*Westerhof*
24-9-8
Won 24/41
*59%*

*Keshi*
16-10-6
won 16/32
*50%*

Ethiopia 1:0 Nigeria during Westerhof era is given to Chukwu

Eguavoen
9-1-2
Won 9/12
*75%*
In all, Rohr didn't do bad. We all know in this thing, only winning (W) counts
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.