Chief Tactician Eguavoen

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chief Tactician Eguavoen

Post by fabio »

Obong wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:37 pm One of the frustrating things about Rohr was his penchant for under- selling his own team and respecting the opponents too much even if they were CAR.
You have to stay humble, keep learning because:
1)We don't have players, playing in the top clubs and ECL.

2) We don't have Salah, Mane or Mahrez
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:46 am Egu is a very articulate and brilliant football mind, he's a student of the game along with his passion for SE, will to climb the mountain in front of the team. The only question how whether or not he'll be allowed to fully express himself, make decisions without getting questioned etc. He certainly has a lot to offer SE.
:clap: plus is he strong enough to resist?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

It was strategic. That was Rohr's way of deflecting pressure from his team. I don't understand why people reacted so strongly to it.
fabio wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:16 pm
Obong wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:37 pm One of the frustrating things about Rohr was his penchant for under- selling his own team and respecting the opponents too much even if they were CAR.

olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I enjoyed watching the video. It was really more history than current team tactics. Speaking articulately and implementation are 2 different things. What he said was encouraging. I do hope he can get his team to be organized and play good attacking football.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But we had a zoom call with a member of his coaching staff who said emphatically that wasn't what he preached to the players behind closed doors!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

olu wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:30 pm It was strategic. That was Rohr's way of deflecting pressure from his team. I don't understand why people reacted so strongly to it.

What strategy?

All winning teams have character, and on and off field leadership. They also have key mentally strong personnel who despite circumstances kept their motivation, and belief high. These personnel were usually veterans of previous campaigns, or triumphant events. They became rallying points for newer or inexperienced team members to sustain their commitments, and responsibility to their teammates.

Here you have a coach telling players he selected and/or oversaw that his players were NOT fit to play at the level they have arrived at. Telling them they essentially had overachieved, and didn’t have what it took to get to the next level.

Look at the approach of some previous German WC campaigns.
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge provided on field leadership in their 82, and 86 WC campaign.
Lothar Matthäus, and Rudi Völler provided on field leadership in their 1990 WC campaign.
Jürgen Klinsmann, Matthias Sammer provided on field leadership in their 1994 WC campaign.
Review the role of Michael Ballack, Bastian schweinsteiger over the 99 thru 2016 European Championship and WC teams.
No German coach EVER made a statement that his team was NOT ready for the stage of the tournament they found themselves in.

Are you surprised that after the back-to-back comeback victories of the 1996 Olympic squad against Brazil, and Argentina, Germany made sure they had a friendly with Nigeria pre WC 1998?

Deflecting pressure from the team? So as his team progressed in a tournament, what were the players supposed to do? Hope they were playing video games? High School championship? The elite level is, at the very minimum, composure under pressure, and minimizing unforced mistakes. We were struggling with lower ranked teams that according to him were supposedly inferior. He blew it all. That was wasted opportunity to build team belief, chemistry, character, and identity.

Maradona thrived under pressure, and cherished high tension games. It came from his belief in his skill, composure, decision making, will to win, among other items.

No excuses, please. Rohr had NO concept of mental preparation to execute at the highest level of the game. He set up his team to play defensive, with inexperienced players, and the field of play mostly in his half of the game. Go review WC 2018. Essentially amped up the pressure on inexperienced players in their own half.

The real strategy was to avoid embarrassing losses with no offensive production. He had no clue on how to go forward. "We are here to learn my a$%". It worked. He lasted an unbelievable 5+ years. The people who selected him got a 5th rate German who never played at the highest level or never consistently executed at the highest level.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

OJI wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 pm
olu wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:30 pm It was strategic. That was Rohr's way of deflecting pressure from his team. I don't understand why people reacted so strongly to it.

What strategy?

All winning teams have character, and on and off field leadership. They also have key mentally strong personnel who despite circumstances kept their motivation, and belief high. These personnel were usually veterans of previous campaigns, or triumphant events. They became rallying points for newer or inexperienced team members to sustain their commitments, and responsibility to their teammates.

Here you have a coach telling players he selected and/or oversaw that his players were NOT fit to play at the level they have arrived at. Telling them they essentially had overachieved, and didn’t have what it took to get to the next level.

Look at the approach of some previous German WC campaigns.
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge provided on field leadership in their 82, and 86 WC campaign.
Lothar Matthäus, and Rudi Völler provided on field leadership in their 1990 WC campaign.
Jürgen Klinsmann, Matthias Sammer provided on field leadership in their 1994 WC campaign.
Review the role of Michael Ballack, Bastian schweinsteiger over the 99 thru 2016 European Championship and WC teams.
No German coach EVER made a statement that his team was NOT ready for the stage of the tournament they found themselves in.

Are you surprised that after the back-to-back comeback victories of the 1996 Olympic squad against Brazil, and Argentina, Germany made sure they had a friendly with Nigeria pre WC 1998?

Deflecting pressure from the team? So as his team progressed in a tournament, what were the players supposed to do? Hope they were playing video games? High School championship? The elite level is, at the very minimum, composure under pressure, and minimizing unforced mistakes. We were struggling with lower ranked teams that according to him were supposedly inferior. He blew it all. That was wasted opportunity to build team belief, chemistry, character, and identity.

Maradona thrived under pressure, and cherished high tension games. It came from his belief in his skill, composure, decision making, will to win, among other items.

No excuses, please. Rohr had NO concept of mental preparation to execute at the highest level of the game. He set up his team to play defensive, with inexperienced players, and the field of play mostly in his half of the game. Go review WC 2018. Essentially amped up the pressure on inexperienced players in their own half.

The real strategy was to avoid embarrassing losses with no offensive production. He had no clue on how to go forward. "We are here to learn my a$%". It worked. He lasted an unbelievable 5+ years. The people who selected him got a 5th rate German who never played at the highest level or never consistently executed at the highest level.
Abeg ask am o.

Our 1994 team feared no one... where actually the ones intimidating teams. Hristo Stoichkov said as much on a chance encounter with me in DC. Describing in awe the size, speed, strength, and skill of the Naijarian team. How they intimidated them (and the Bulgarians had a very good team). Go ask the Italians or the then brutish Argentines.

Go ask the Senegalese team that slayed France if they were intimidated by France.

As an athlete, you have to have Athletic Arrogance.

You can't step on the field feeling that it is an honor to be sharing the field with your opponent.

Coming to games as a Naijarian team feigning humility when every team you play wants to destroy you to wipe the smirk or the arrogance off your face... and you think feigning humility will stop them from taking you to the woodshed and giving you a good beating?

When Germany plays small Switzerland, do you think the Swiss will be seeing it as just another game? Regardless of how Germany sees an opponent, or for that matter, England, no one who plays them sees it as just another game. I will equate us to England when it comes to teams that folks want to shut up... do you think them being humble will change how badly people want to beat them?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Tales by the moonlight!

The 1994 team beat ONLY Bulgaria and Greece, not exactly powerhouses at the time. We lost to Argentina and Italy, two teams that were ranked way below us in the Fifa ranking prior to the WC.

Whenever we stop patting ourselves on the back for our performance in 1994 and look at it objectively, we will see that our performance was just as average any of our other WC appearances! THE ONLY ACCOMPLISHMENT WE CAN BOAST OF IN 1994 was that it was our first WC appearance!

Nobody was intimidated by us! I was at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas that day, and Stoichkov did not seem intimidated. Intimidated by what? Our prior record at the WC? Now if he was referring to the 1998 WC meeting, I can understand since that was actually a better team with higher profile players than the 94 squad.
Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:36 pm
Abeg ask am o.
Our 1994 team feared no one... where actually the ones intimidating teams. Hristo Stoichkov said as much on a chance encounter with me in DC. Describing in awe the size, speed, strength, and skill of the Naijarian team. How they intimidated them (and the Bulgarians had a very good team). Go ask the Italians or the then brutish Argentines.
Go ask the Senegalese team that slayed France if they were intimidated by France.

You can't step on the field feeling that it is an honor to be sharing the field with your opponent.

Coming to games as a Naijarian team feigning humility when every team you play wants to destroy you to wipe the smirk or the arrogance off your face... and you think feigning humility will stop them from taking you to the woodshed and giving you a good beating?

When Germany plays small Switzerland, do you think the Swiss will be seeing it as just another game? Regardless of how Germany sees an opponent, or for that matter, England, no one who plays them sees it as just another game. I will equate us to England when it comes to teams that folks want to shut up... do you think them being humble will change how badly people want to beat them?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bros, even our resident After the fact expert, ATF txj, can do the same thing with the same checkers board. Did he forget about all these techniques the last time he was the coach?
Damunk wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:52 am Are you being serious?
It was a history lesson and a rare insight from an insider into playing strategies of teams past.
It was a confession of the error he made in that heartbreaking Cannigia goal vs Argentina in ‘94.
It was a preview into his plans for the current SE and how he views some of our current players.
All this for the very first time.
And you call it rubbish.
Okay nah.
We await Yobo’s own. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
1naija wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:16 am This is a lot of bullshait.

Most of those teams he is mesmerizing us with on the draft board never qualified for the World cup. The ones that qualified only managed to get out of the first round only to crash out in the first game of the knockout stages. We've played in over 30 ANC tournaments with only 3 titles to show for all the superior tactics and quality we supposedly had. This is just nonsense.
Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:45 pm
highbury wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:13 pm This is our articulate brother explaining Nigeria's tactics. It's criminal we even spent that money to the Oyimbo dinosaur.

Wow.
This was awesome.
I could watch it for hours.

S.I.T.
Speed. Intelligence. Technique.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:04 pm Tales by the moonlight!

The 1994 team beat ONLY Bulgaria and Greece, not exactly powerhouses at the time. We lost to Argentina and Italy, two teams that were ranked way below us in the Fifa ranking prior to the WC.

Whenever we stop patting ourselves on the back for our performance in 1994 and look at it objectively, we will see that our performance was just as average any of our other WC appearances! THE ONLY ACCOMPLISHMENT WE CAN BOAST OF IN 1994 was that it was our first WC appearance!

Nobody was intimidated by us! I was at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas that day, and Stoichkov did not seem intimidated. Intimidated by what? Our prior record at the WC? Now if he was referring to the 1998 WC meeting, I can understand since that was actually a better team with higher profile players than the 94 squad.
Abeg ask am o.

Ok, Uncle.

Two teams we pretty much handled ended up 2nd and 3rd respectively.

And we lost due to off-field distraction.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 am And yes, Ndidi is "holding back." Unfortunately, he has played with mostly coaches who are shortsighted and who are selfish. Ndidi is someone, if given the platform, can do so much more with the ball. He used to have fantastic long shots, but his coaches are afraid and do not want him to get out of position. Hopefully, now having a coach who believes he can do more, will help him.

The issue is not whether he can do much more, but how well he can do these without compromising the defensive integrity of the team. At the top level you cannot work on the basis of hope. His game is far too reliant on tackling. The physicality and coverage is up there with anyone, but his focus in reading the game is not at the same level...

Egu does not appear to have the full details in his commentary and its very easy to make such assertions.

A player has to establish a performance platform on the basis of which a manager can then "allow" the additional layers...

And its also a function of the players around him...
Last edited by txj on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

If that's the criteria, then Rohr is the greatest coach ever since the team we narrowly lost to on a last minute "out of this world freekick by Mahrez" at the AFCON went on to win it! In the voice of Chris Carter, COME ON MAN!
Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Abeg ask am o.

Ok, Uncle.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

BTW, what were the off-field distractions that made us lose to Argentina? And what off-field distraction made Oliseh give away the freekick against Italy?

Una don begin dey rewrite history?
Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Abeg ask am o.

Ok, Uncle.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:17 pm If that's the criteria, then Rohr is the greatest coach ever since the team we narrowly lost to on a last minute "out of this world freekick by Mahrez" at the AFCON went on to win it! In the voice of Chris Carter, COME ON MAN!
AFCON?

Come on Man?!

When did you start being a local champion?

We toking about World Cup and you toking about AFCON?!

Listen to yourself man... you disman sef, when Undie dem dey envy you as you flex with oyibo pipul and can't understand how a native like dem can be up there... don't you look at them wondering why are they so damn bush?

We are here talking about the World Cup and you bring AFCON.

Have some ambition dude! :mad: :|
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:20 pm BTW, what were the off-field distractions that made us lose to Argentina? And what off-field distraction made Oliseh give away the freekick against Italy?

MONEY!

You need full concentration to win at the highest level.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Sorry, my bad. You meant like these results from Russia 2018

16 June 2018
21:00 KALT (UTC+2)
Croatia 2–0 Nigeria

15 July 2018 - FINAL
18:00 MSK (UTC+3)
France 4–2 Croatia

You are right.
Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:25 pm
1naija wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:17 pm If that's the criteria, then Rohr is the greatest coach ever since the team we narrowly lost to on a last minute "out of this world freekick by Mahrez" at the AFCON went on to win it! In the voice of Chris Carter, COME ON MAN!
AFCON?

Come on Man?!

When did you start being a local champion?

We toking about World Cup and you toking about AFCON?!

Listen to yourself man... you disman sef, when Undie dem dey envy you as you flex with oyibo pipul and can't understand how a native like dem can be up there... don't you look at them wondering why are they so damn bush?

We are here talking about the World Cup and you bring AFCON.

Have some ambition dude! :mad: :|
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Just admit it. The 1994 Squad, other than the fact that they were our maiden WC appearance team, was like any other Nigeria team regardless of how many victory laps they take on TV and how much they pat themselves on the back. They beat teams they were supposed to beat and lost to the first credible team they faced.

If anything, it was the 1998 squad that was far superior. As far as I am concerned, they are the ones that should be patting themselves on the back. They outright qualified from the group stage with a game to spare. The 94 team on the other hand only qualified on Goal difference! They had exactly the same points as Argentina and Bulgaria.
Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:26 pm
1naija wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:20 pm BTW, what were the off-field distractions that made us lose to Argentina? And what off-field distraction made Oliseh give away the freekick against Italy?

MONEY!

You need full concentration to win at the highest level.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

1kobo,

Keep crying old man, your white massa is gone and it's good riddance to bad rubbish, so it's either you get with the program or stop disturbing us with your rants!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Tobi, so that slow toad they call you is not just yabbis eh? So you slow for real, for real? Na wa o!
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:47 pm 1kobo,

Keep crying old man, your white massa is gone and it's good riddance to bad rubbish, so it's either you get with the program or stop disturbing us with your rants!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Abeg ask am o.

stop embarrassing yourself my goodness
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

1Naija please stop. Your stupidity is heading towards Kongi-asian levels.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bret fart. Is that you? How body?
bret- hart wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:10 am 1Naija please stop. Your stupidity is heading towards Kongi-asian levels.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:12 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 am And yes, Ndidi is "holding back." Unfortunately, he has played with mostly coaches who are shortsighted and who are selfish. Ndidi is someone, if given the platform, can do so much more with the ball. He used to have fantastic long shots, but his coaches are afraid and do not want him to get out of position. Hopefully, now having a coach who believes he can do more, will help him.

The issue is not whether he can do much more, but how well he can do these without compromising the defensive integrity of the team. At the top level you cannot work on the basis of hope. His game is far too reliant on tackling. The physicality and coverage is up there with anyone, but his focus in reading the game is not at the same level...

Egu does not appear to have the full details in his commentary and its very easy to make such assertions.

A player has to establish a performance platform on the basis of which a manager can then "allow" the additional layers...

And its also a function of the players around him...
I disagree with your position. I have seen Ndidi play and I have completely different views than you do.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?