2022 Nigerian Professional Football League

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: 2022 Nigerian Professional Football League

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:22 pm :clap: Convincing take. Rangers better shape up or else they may find themselves out of running for Africa. 3Sc - is this a mirage or are they serious. For me, I pray Remo wins the league. My hope is the officiating remains fair and tgat teams like Remo can win the league. We need teams like that so that these state entities can be forgotten or wither away.
EII,

Maikaba may actually be squeezing water out of stone as Rangers did not do any serious recruitment this season, after losing some of their key players like Ibrahim Olawoyin and Tony Shimaga. As long as they finish above Sooting, that will be soothing :tic: .

Remo may continue to do well and eventually win the league this season but the state entities are going nowhere. Unless there is a radical change in the way our football is run, and indeed our country as a whole, it is the private entities that will wither away. MFM is yet another example of a privately run club gasping for air, after the likes of Ikorodu United, Go Round, Ifeanyi Uba, and Giwa FC.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:46 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:22 pm :clap: Convincing take. Rangers better shape up or else they may find themselves out of running for Africa. 3Sc - is this a mirage or are they serious. For me, I pray Remo wins the league. My hope is the officiating remains fair and tgat teams like Remo can win the league. We need teams like that so that these state entities can be forgotten or wither away.
EII,

Maikaba may actually be squeezing water out of stone as Rangers did not do any serious recruitment this season, after losing some of their key players like Ibrahim Olawoyin and Tony Shimaga. As long as they finish above Sooting, that will be soothing :tic: .

Remo may continue to do well and eventually win the league this season but the state entities are going nowhere. Unless there is a radical change in the way our football is run, and indeed our country as a whole, it is the private entities that will wither away. MFM is yet another example of a privately run club gasping for air, after the likes of Ikorodu United, Go Round, Ifeanyi Uba, and Giwa FC.
Ukwala

I agree with you about analysis regarding private clubs. That has been the story for ages.

What I am hoping though is that Remo wins because it's model is unique. It is a model that we have never had with private clubs. Remo has a full academy. No Nigerian private club had this in the past. I mean a real academy and not simply partnership with other entities. Second, Remo has a pipeline to European football which as you know is an attractive pipeline for Nigerian footballers. These things are unique.

If Remo is successful. My hope is that similar academies may finally see NPFL as the way to go. This is already happening in other places in Africa with likes if Generation Foot in Senegal and Asec in Ivory Coast as few examples. How quickly this wl happen is unknown. If it is organic, as I hope, it may take a long time. If it is by edict, it will be quicker but that could also create significant restrictions from the state.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Chai, we lost to Remo.
I didn't celebrate the expected 4-0 konkobilow of Cito's Heartland in Ibadan because of my focus on the tricky Remo fixture. Well, it happens but more teams go hia wen from the great 3SC this season then next season is total war as we take that NFPL trophy back to Ibadan :D .
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YemiBrazil wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:46 pm Chai, we lost to Remo.
I didn't celebrate the expected 4-0 konkobilow of Cito's Heartland in Ibadan because of my focus on the tricky Remo fixture. Well, it happens but more teams go hia wen from the great 3SC this season then next season is total war as we take that NFPL trophy back to Ibadan :D .
Remo naa una mate? I jus axe? Una lucky no be say dem whip una 5-0.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:56 am
Remo? Na small pikin dey worry them. Leventis, Abiola, Stores, Water, Femo Scorpions, Vasco etc do gra gra pass them. Shooting still stand gidigba. 5-0 for where, even Bayern Munich no fit waya us pass 3 on our baddest day :taunt: :taunt: :mrgreen:

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:39 pm
Remo? Na small pikin dey worry them. Leventis, Abiola, Stores, Water, Femo Scorpions, Vasco etc do gra gra pass them. Shooting still stand gidigba. 5-0 for where, even Bayern Munich no fit waya us pass 3 on our baddest day :taunt: :taunt: :mrgreen:
Yemi

Dis one wey you dey open mouth gboa gboa na bicos NFF let una escape from una usual dungeon for Division oblivion? If say you talk too much na so una go go back for dia ooo!
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:03 pm
YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:39 pm
Yemi

Dis one wey you dey open mouth gboa gboa na bicos NFF let una escape from una usual dungeon for Division oblivion? If say you talk too much na so una go go back for dia ooo!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is it my fault that all those small small teams that I mentioned above don pafuka after standing up to the landlords? Remo got to be very very very careful with their disrespectful behavior.

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Week 12 results
Lobi 2-1 MFM
Akwa Utd 0-0 Heartland
Gombe Utd 1-0 Remo Stars
3SC 1-0 Dakkada
Kano Pillars 0-1 Plateau Utd
Nasarawa Utd 1-1 Sunshine Stars
Rangers 1-0 Abia Warriors
Kastina United 1 -0 Kwara United
Enyimba 1-1 Niger Tornadoes
Rivers United 3-0 Wikki Tourists
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Up Shootinggg!!!!! :thumbs:

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

YemiBrazil wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 pm Up Shootinggg!!!!! :thumbs:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Up Sooting :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
All roads lead to Jos on Wednesday for another 3 points.....
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

NPFL: Kennedy Boboye resigns as Akwa United coach

Samuel Areo February 13, 2022 Football, NPFL

Kennedy Boboye has tendered his resignation as Akwa United head coach, https://www.aclsports.com reports. The NPFL champions have been struggling under his watch this season and they are currently eight points behind leaders Rivers United following Sunday’s goalless draw against Heartland in Uyo.

The former Abia Warriors manager has now decided to throw in the towel after overseeing just 12 league games in the 2021/22 football season.

“ I want to thank everybody in Akwa Utd family for the time I have stayed in the team, but I think is time to move t forward, when the team is not doing well it is the coach that faces the problems, I have just decided to stay out, for the team to move forward, thank very much for the time giving to me to work here” Boboye informed the club [via The Vital News].

Boboye became Akwa United’s coach in December 2019 and took charge of 70 games across three competitions (NPFL, CAF CL & Aiteo Cup). He has a win percentage of 44% and won the league during his tenure with the Promise Keepers.

Kennedy Boboye's numbers at Akwa United 👇

70 games (NPFL- 67, CAFCL – 2, Aiteo Cup -1)

Wins – 31 Draws – 26 Defeats – 13.

44% win rate.
1 NPFL title.

Departed. #NPFL22 pic.twitter.com/kY6kMNSaii

— Engineer Kowope (@Undisputed_Jsam) February 13, 2022

Meanwhile, the club has also confirmed that the two-time league winner has left his role and that they wish him well in his future endeavors.

Life after the 43-year-old begins for the Akwa Ibom side on Wednesday when they travel to Ikenne to face high-flying Remo Stars.
https://www.aclsports.com/npfl-kennedy- ... ted-coach/
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Chaiii, market no good yesterday o :evil:

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Those Plateau United boys have now won all their last five matches. Impressive!

Remo need to sit up, and what's going on with Kano Pillars and Enyimba. They are struggling.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YemiBrazil wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:10 pm Those Plateau United boys have now won all their last five matches. Impressive!

Remo need to sit up, and what's going on with Kano Pillars and Enyimba. They are struggling.
I am surprised by Enyimba. I wxpect them to be better than they are showing thus far. As for Remo, I just how this is just a bump on the road of success. I am rooting for Remo all the way. It is a private club that is there to show the way to NPFL of the future.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Unofficial TOTW's for the past 7 matchdays

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Sunset, I like the work you have been doing promoting the NPFL.

There's got to be a concerted effort to promote the league.

In Business school, there was a case study about NBA vs NFL marketing... The NBA went the route of marketing players, the NFL went with marketing the league. Each with its pros and cons.

Wonder what will work for Naijaria?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:33 am Sunset, I like the work you have been doing promoting the NPFL.

In Business school, there was a case study about NBA vs NFL marketing... The NBA went the route of marketing players, the NFL went with marketing the league. Each with its pros and cons.

This should be easy given the Nigerian circumstance. Marketing the league would be preferred given that players leave the league often to go overseas and thus all the investment in marketing them will not become a loss. With marketing teams, the teams are more long lasting and you can get fans attached to the team and shirt instead of specific players.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:49 am
Cellular wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:33 am Sunset, I like the work you have been doing promoting the NPFL.

This should be easy given the Nigerian circumstance. Marketing the league would be preferred given that players leave the league often to go overseas and thus all the investment in marketing them will not become a loss. With marketing teams, the teams are more long lasting and you can get fans attached to the team and shirt instead of specific players.
Prof., I go back to when Osaze was playing for Insurance. He was always a huge draw.
I believe when Musa came back to play he too was a huge draw.

I think we generally gravitate to stars or the new buzz in town.

There's got to be some stars to build around and just keep the conveyor belt going.

I am surprised there are no "Acada" player they can market...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Cellular wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:27 pm

Prof., I go back to when Osaze was playing for Insurance. He was always a huge draw.
I believe when Musa came back to play he too was a huge draw.

I think we generally gravitate to stars or the new buzz in town.

There's got to be some stars to build around and just keep the conveyor belt going.

I am surprised there are no "Acada" player they can market...
The thing about stars is what happens to the team when they eventually leave for greener pastures like most cases?

Though we can look at someone like Rabiu Ali who's arguably the most popular player in the North, from his exploits in the early 2000's to playing a part in knocking out that legendary Al Ahly team, winning the NPFL 3 times in a row, as well as a Bronze & silver Chan medals he's a special case as any other player with his ability would've left the country a long time ago, now at the age of 41, the fact he's still a regular for Kano Pillars shows the clubs decline.

But the fans really love him, he's probably more popular than Sunday Mba.

Though the media did kinda leverage things when Musa had his short stint, having a one to one interview with him, etc but that was it, simply them getting the big fish, not knowing there are a lot more stories to be told by the veterans like Aiyenugba (who's expecting his son to be his replacement @Kwara UTD when he retires) or ones for the future like Emmanuel Ayaosi. Things are a lot better than they were 10 years ago but there's still so much to improve on from the media.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

EII, Cellular

Why can’t they do both? Market the league and teams while shining the light on the season’s key players❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TTTK

They can do both and that will always be the case. The issue, I believe, is primary focus. My fear is marketing stars in today's environment where stars move from club to club is a strain on meager finances. The team is stable and you want fans attached to them primarily. That is more cost effective in the long run.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:56 pm

EII, Cellular

Why can’t they do both? Market the league and teams while shining the light on the season’s key players❗️

Cheers.
Oga, TTTK, you bring out a 3rd dimension, marketing the Teams.

I think that is the way to go...

Hype up rivalries... even see if they will do the US still divisions and conferences and schedule accordingly. 4 games against rivals, 2 across other teams... and have a "Super 8" tournament... you have your regular season champion and a Super 8 tournament champion. Find some way to make the league interesting... find sponsors that will give huge prize money for winning the Super 8 tournament.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...