SE NEW MANAGER: Jose Peseiro......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: New SE coach officially announced

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:48 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:32 pm I dont buy all these "fifa no clear them yet"

We've been hearing this for years.

Where Ejaria then ? Still not cleared ?
Maybe Ejaria and Lookman refused to "drop" thus the rigmaroling, the major reason more than anything else why I want the new Portuguese coach to manage the team is because I know he won't be a yes man to the corrupt ways of the NFF, I expect him to select his team based on MERIT alone without pandering to shameless agents that try to push their junk players to the NT... we really need that type of man to shake things up and stick to his guns.
How do you know this? He’s a journeyman just like **** and will do whatever to secure the bag…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

naijaguy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:56 pm So NFF sacked Rohr for this journeyman.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣..
Those of you who clamoured for Rohr's sack for this man should bury your heads in shame.
You sacked a coach who has never faulted in his contract, has the highest winning rate of any super eagle coach, still endured owing him; only for you to appoint a serial loser. Una well done oo.
In the battle of two shite journeymen, I'll take my chances with Jose Peseiro, at least his teams can actually play good and exciting football. Don't make it seem like Rohr was the second coming of Clemens Westerhoff, the man made a very talented Nigerian squad look like national team of Djibouti.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:01 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:48 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:32 pm I dont buy all these "fifa no clear them yet"

We've been hearing this for years.

Where Ejaria then ? Still not cleared ?
Maybe Ejaria and Lookman refused to "drop" thus the rigmaroling, the major reason more than anything else why I want the new Portuguese coach to manage the team is because I know he won't be a yes man to the corrupt ways of the NFF, I expect him to select his team based on MERIT alone without pandering to shameless agents that try to push their junk players to the NT... we really need that type of man to shake things up and stick to his guns.
How do you know this? He’s a journeyman just like **** and will do whatever to secure the bag…
tobi changes his views left and right.. he believes anything
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

naijaguy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:56 pm So NFF sacked Rohr for this journeyman.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣..
Those of you who clamoured for Rohr's sack for this man should bury your heads in shame.
You sacked a coach who has never faulted in his contract, has the highest winning rate of any super eagle coach, still endured owing him; only for you to appoint a serial loser. Una well done oo.

They're naive and believe there own nonsense. This is obviously a panic hire by the NFF to create a built in excuse incase Afcon doesn't go well. Watch. Eguavoen will do well at Afcon but this Peso coach will not qualify the team for the WC.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Is it normal practice to name players that don’t have the necessary paper work on the 40 player list? Am I missing something?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Not a good move by Pinnick. :boo:

So you have a LAME DUCK coach taking the team to the AFCON?

Do you know what happened the last time we did something like this? Ghana thrashed us 4-1!

I was even in the stadium that day in 2007 at Millwall with a couple of friends. We left after the 4th goal went in.

We might as well write the 2022 AFCON off.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Doesnt look like a good appointment. But like every one before him. I will give a chance.

Things I want to see.
1. A coach that is progressive in his approach.
2. Good with young players.
3. Good in game tactics.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Is there any chance NFF can get rid of Amanju Pinnick? That organisation is begging for a leadership change
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Orion wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:14 pm Not a good move by Pinnick. :boo:

So you have a LAME DUCK coach taking the team to the AFCON?

Do you know what happened the last time we did something like this? Ghana thrashed us 4-1!

I was even in the stadium that day in 2007 at Millwall with a couple of friends. We left after the 4th goal went in.

We might as well write the 2022 AFCON off.
An unprecedented move to say the least. I've never heard of. National team going into a competition with an interim coach with the new coach watching as an observer.

The is what the former UK meant when he referred to Nigeria as a fantastically corrupt country. This is not only corrupt but bumb as well.it doesn't node well for the decision making abilitiy of Nigerian administrators.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Flex Swift wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 pm Is there any chance NFF can get rid of Amanju Pinnick? That organisation is begging for a leadership change
cr
The problem is the person that will replace him will be worse. First you have to change how the NFF leader is chosen. Should we have a non political director of football type that runs he operations of the NFF and then have the board be filled with political appointees?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

this is what i will like to do to some of you people on CE ... especially all the WOWOs
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:40 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 pm Is there any chance NFF can get rid of Amanju Pinnick? That organisation is begging for a leadership change
cr
The problem is the person that will replace him will be worse. First you have to change how the NFF leader is chosen. Should we have a non political director of football type that runs he operations of the NFF and then have the board be filled with political appointees?
I don’t believe anybody would be as bad as the current leadership. If people can say Rohr failed we can equally claim Pinnick is a failure.

No improvement in the domestic game….. Eyimba use to win the champions league. Nigeria can’t even qualify for Chan. Nigeria use to qualify for the second round at the World Cup Nigeria use to reach the finals Olympic football. Nigeria use to routinely qualify for the finals of the Afcon and were cheated in the finals. Now the best is bronze and first round knock out at the World Cup. Where it the improvement in Nigerian football.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I don't know him at all. What is his coaching style?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Peseiro's record, profile and style of play.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jose-pesei ... ainer/1595

Welcome to SE coach Peso! We're jhaapy to have u. :mrgreen:

He has some good club experience as well as national team management. Could be a good appointment if he has the temperament and patience to deal with our jagbajantis.

Any info on his coaching style, is he an all attack type? Defensive or just a good all round manager? He now has the best talent he's ever had on national team and mabe even his whole career as a head coach. . Gotta be a very good coach to coach some of the teams he has, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see an injured south African based player on the team list. :laugh:

I
OCCUPY NFF!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Peseiro's record, profile and style of play.

Post by aruako1 »

Exactly! I have asked the same.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'm about to watch some of the games of the Venezuelan team he coached to get an idea of his style of football
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

ol boy read your post - he is ultra defensive look at what you posted paying attention to his preferred formation

Name in Home Country /
Full Name: José Vitor dos Santos Peseiro
Date of Birth: Apr 4, 1960
Place of Birth: Coruche Portugal
Citizenship: Portugal Portugal
Avg. term as coach: 1.21 Years
Coaching Licence: UEFA Pro Licence
Preferred formation: 5-4-1
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1979–1980 Cartaxo
1980–1982 Coruchense
1982–1983 Oriental
1983–1984 Amora 6 (0)
1984–1987 Oriental 51 (3)
1987–1988 Samora Correia 33 (7)
1988–1989 Torreense 5 (1)
1989–1991 União Santarém
1991–1992 Alcanenense
1992–1994 União Santarém
Teams managed
1992–1994 União Santarém
1994–1996 União Montemor
1996–1999 Oriental
1999–2003 Nacional
2003–2004 Real Madrid (assistant)
2004–2005 Sporting CP
2006–2007 Al Hilal
2007–2008 Panathinaikos
2008 Rapid București
2008–2009 Rapid București
2009–2011 Saudi Arabia
2012–2013 Braga
2013–2015 Al Wahda
2015–2016 Al Ahly
2016 Porto
2016 Braga
2017 Sharjah
2018 Vitória Guimarães
2018 Sporting CP

A new job almost every other year.
Last edited by DIMKA76 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:40 pm I'm about to watch some of the games of the Venezuelan team he coached to get an idea of his style of football
Please share any links you find.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:28 pm Why can't he start from AFCON working with Eguavoen? He won't have enough time with the players for the WC qualifier match if he has to wait till after AFCON. Amaju is really messing things up.
Lolly it's the sensible thing to do and the NFF has to be lauded for getting him in on time to observe from the touchline. It is better than being thrown into the fray at the 11th hour. That would be setting him up to fail.

The positive is that he can observe every players strength and weakness from a distance and critique the team at the same time. Egu will set the team up in a way that reflects our true DNA, it is important that the coach get this (Rohr didn't to some extent). This really is Egu's mandate.

Also, by watching from the sidelines, he will also have the time and opportunity to watch up close, all the teams that will be in the draw for the WC playoffs. He and his coaching crew will be taking notes. Note Egu's focus will be limited to the teams we face game by game.

Big picture is important...
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Mr Shows wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:15 am
Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:28 pm Why can't he start from AFCON working with Eguavoen? He won't have enough time with the players for the WC qualifier match if he has to wait till after AFCON. Amaju is really messing things up.
Lolly it's the sensible thing to do and the NFF has to be lauded for getting him in on time to observe from the touchline. It is better than being thrown into the fray at the 11th hour. That would be setting him up to fail.

The positive is that he can observe every players strength and weakness from a distance and critique the team at the same time. Egu will set the team up in a way that reflects our true DNA, it is important that the coach get this (Rohr didn't to some extent). This really is Egu's mandate.

Also, by watching from the sidelines, he will also have the time and opportunity to watch up close, all the teams that will be in the draw for the WC playoffs. He and his coaching crew will be taking notes. Note Egu's focus will be limited to the teams we face game by game.

I agree with you 100%. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:21 am
Mr Shows wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:15 am

I agree with you 100%. :thumb:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The UNREMARKABLE Jose Peseiro......

Post by Enugu II »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:23 am
JOSE PESEIRO

Peseiro has been managing clubs and national teams since 1992. Ofcourse, there are those impressed when a manager has a long career. Jose has that long career managing in Europe, South America, and Asia. He now is likely headed to Nigeria -- an African jaunt as he seeks to manage in all continents of the world. But what has he really achieved in almost three decades of coaching? The reality is that his coaching career has been largely unremarkable just like the man he replaced -- Gernot Rohr. Notably still, his playing career was also unremarkable.

I guess that explains why the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, refers to Peseirio being recommended by Jose Mourinho. If a guy's career is unremarkable, why stress career? Naaa! Stress an association with Jose Mourinho whom many Nigerians associate with some magic wand, GOD-like. After all if Jose recommended him then he must be somebody.

But who really is Peseiro? Well, he has managed 17 teams! How many trophies? Well, he won the league with Al Ahly in Egypt (But how many managers fail to win at Ahly?). Well, he won a nondescript knockout contest in Portugal two times (if you care). Well well, his trump card (Like Rohr) is a UEFA cup final! What else? Longest tenure as manager has been early in his career -- four years! His last several managerial duties lasted no more than than one year.... that has now been 7 stints since 2015! Perhaps, he will get a long tenure in Nigeria,.. Rohr did. We will watch soon. Maybe there is a Mourinho magic rub that will keep him in Nigeria to win the trophies as the NFF speculates.

SUMMARY TACTICAL APPROACH

Although, Peseiro used a largely defensive approach with Venezuela, it is clear that Venezuela needed it given its weak position within the CONMEBOL confederation where it had to face the likes of Brazil, Argentina, and Chile frequently. The idea was to keep the losing margin as low as possible. However, Nigeria will be expected to be on the front foot in many of its continental encounters. In essence we are back to the Gernot Rohr conundrum. Rohr had coached weaker African sides before coming to Nigeria and his defensive approach was justified. However, carrying that approach to Nigeria became repulsive and totally unexpected. Will Peseiro become another Gernot Rohr?

Peseiro's training methods, however, put him as part of a vanguard that is leading a coaching innovation tagged "tactical periodization" (you can read more here: http://www.wheelocksportscoaching.com/w ... -Union.pdf ). But his records have not indicated the benefits of that approach to his teams.

MY VERDICT

My analysis of this hiring and Amsaju's claim that this new Manager (likely Peseiro) will assume work as soon as the AFCON that comes up in a few weeks, is becoming clear:

1. Amaju and the NFF do not concern themselves with achieving much at this AFCON. They are looking at the AFCON as a preparation for the WC qualifiers. Make no mistake about it. The AFCON will be a bunch of international friendlies for the SE in preparation for the all or nothing third round qualifiers for the World Cup.

2. Finance wise, Amaju and his cohorts calculate that the WC will deliver a windfall of cash. AFCON delivers a pittance of nothing. They do not care about the glory of winning an AFCON. The cash of the World Cup smells much better.

3. Rationally, it is much easier to qualify for the World Cup than to win the AFCON. AFCON win means being the African champion. Theoretically the best team in Africa. Not so the World Cup. World Cup presents five places. Theoretically, five teams in Africa, not just the best team or even the best three teams but five get to the World Cup. Amaju has made his strategic calculation and that is what this is.
Bump
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics