Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:27 am The way I see it Eguoavoen has basically kicked out all the Foreign born players he could.

Lookman
Ejaria
Akpoguma
Ebuehi
Bassey

Yet he included rubbish players like Musa, Ighalo, Ndah, Omeruo, Collins.

The only foreign born he retained are key members of the squad and in fact all starters. He couldn't drop these players just yet, but wait until later if my suspicions come true.

Iwobi
Aina
Aribo
Balogun
Troost
Okoye

It seems he has done away with any foreign born who is not a starter.

And people think this is SE going in the right direction.

Just wait until he release a list without Rohrs influence, you will see why home grown coaches are not desired.

This is blatant discrimination. I hope I am wrong but this is what it looks like.
Why don't STFU and let the coach prove his mettle on the field of play? all of a sudden the NT is not going on the right direction because few players were dropped? I bet you will be here again singing a different tune when we advance far in the tournament and do well, we know how unstable you are... always flip-flopping.

Lastly the Lookman you've been hyping here hasn't even looked anywhere close to been impressive at Leicester so let's not act that we're missing prime Messi. Akpoguma isn't a starter for his club and definitely down the pecking order in the NT, with Awaziem and Omeruo we already have two established ball playing defenders that have proven to be a solid pairing. The only notable exclusions from that list are Dessers and maybe Ebuehi.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:33 am I am starting to see why Nigeria is a hot mess. Alot of you lot are just as corrupt and crooked as those in power. How can you justify dropping guys that plays regularly in the bunesliga, Seria A, Scottish Prem in positions where we are light on personel for bums that play in Cyprus, German 2nd Division, Saudi Retirement league etc. Why must we always go to a Major tournament with a sh!!t bench? We all know the likes of Shehu, Collins, Ighalo, Akpeyi, Noble, Musa do not deserve to be at the AFCON. Even Nwakali sef i would drop for Onyedika and/or Yusuf. The same clowns like 1naija, Lollipops Muhammed and Kongi the dunce will come and say we have average players yet they will justify picking rubbish players like Shehu over better more deserving players like Ebuehi.

Good luck to the SEs but i dont expect much.
We've not even seen the tactics or system Eguavoen will deploy at the AFCON for goodness sake, why not wait and see what the team will actually look like under him? Damn una too dey emotional! If Eguavoen makes it to the finals and wins the AFCON I hope you will show your faces :rotf:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:05 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:57 pm I feel so sorry for Akpoguma. He's just finding out what Nigeria is about. He gave an interview earlier this month where he spoke about looking forward to the AFCON. Little did he know he was going to be dropped for an uncapped player from the South African league.
I need those supporting this obvious corrupt selection to put a positive spin on it. I'm waiting...........
You guys gotta find something to b1tch about. Akpoguma na deep bench player and has yet to establish himself on this team, his being dropped is NOT a big deal given we have 5 trusted CDs ahead of him. If Balogun can’t go I can see Kevin replacing him, but it’s really not that serious.
It's all over social media, genuine fans are asking the same question but you can choose to bury your head in the sand!
I am happy
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:45 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:33 am I am starting to see why Nigeria is a hot mess. Alot of you lot are just as corrupt and crooked as those in power. How can you justify dropping guys that plays regularly in the bunesliga, Seria A, Scottish Prem in positions where we are light on personel for bums that play in Cyprus, German 2nd Division, Saudi Retirement league etc. Why must we always go to a Major tournament with a sh!!t bench? We all know the likes of Shehu, Collins, Ighalo, Akpeyi, Noble, Musa do not deserve to be at the AFCON. Even Nwakali sef i would drop for Onyedika and/or Yusuf. The same clowns like 1naija, Lollipops Muhammed and Kongi the dunce will come and say we have average players yet they will justify picking rubbish players like Shehu over better more deserving players like Ebuehi.

Good luck to the SEs but i dont expect much.
We've not even seen the tactics or system Eguavoen will deploy at the AFCON for goodness sake, why not wait and see what the team will actually look like under him? Damn una too dey emotional! If Eguavoen makes it to the finals and wins the AFCON I hope you will show your faces :rotf:
I will gladly cheer for the team and chop humble pie if they win. When Afcon starts its all about supporting the SEs but lets not pretend as if all of these players are there on merit. Selecting sh!!t players like Musa, Shehu and Colllins will bite us in the @$$ when we get to the quaters and beyond. Good luck.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Dammy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:55 am
maceo4 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:05 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:57 pm I feel so sorry for Akpoguma. He's just finding out what Nigeria is about. He gave an interview earlier this month where he spoke about looking forward to the AFCON. Little did he know he was going to be dropped for an uncapped player from the South African league.
I need those supporting this obvious corrupt selection to put a positive spin on it. I'm waiting...........
You guys gotta find something to b1tch about. Akpoguma na deep bench player and has yet to establish himself on this team, his being dropped is NOT a big deal given we have 5 trusted CDs ahead of him. If Balogun can’t go I can see Kevin replacing him, but it’s really not that serious.
It's all over social media, genuine fans are asking the same question but you can choose to bury your head in the sand!

Dont mind him.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Why no Ebeuhi and Akpoguma?
Unless they don't want to play?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

He is not guaranteed a spot in the SE simply because he switched. I don't know Ndah and I would have preferred Akpoguma but the fact that you do not agree with a selection is not enough to accuse a coach of corruption.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:25 am
He is not guaranteed a spot in the SE simply because he switched. I don't know Ndah and I would have preferred Akpoguma but the fact that you do not agree with a selection is not enough to accuse a coach of corruption.

I hate when Nigerians lie to themselves...
It is what it is.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:01 am

I hate when Nigerians lie to themselves...
It is what it is.
Once you disagree with a foreign coach's selection, you disagree. You disagree with a local coach's selection it is corrupt. Anyone that points out the discrepancy in thinking is a Nigerian lying to himself. I get you. Well done.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Akpoguma has had a couple of chances with the SE even when he was doing much better at his club than he is doing now, and looked lost. His addition to the squad would not have made it any better than it is now. For all we know Ndah could be better. I doubt he can be any worse than Akpoguma looked when he featured.

The team that will start every game is the same team that has started the past 2 - 3 years. Thats what we should be worried about. My opinion is that team is average. Our performance in Cameroon will be based on the performance of that team and not because Akpoguma missed out this time. Even Nacho who was a proven starter for the SE missed last AFCON and the world didn't end. Akpoguma could still make it to Qatar if we qualify.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I have watched both play and I am not impressed with Akpoguma but that is just me. I really don't bat an eyelid considering his absence. It is not like he is central to the fortunes of this team. I have seen Ndah as well and I do not see him as key to SE and neither is he below Akpoguma in terms of performance bar the fact that he is in a German club and gets hyped.

Last time we saw Akpoguma he was huffing and puffing trying to keep up with some unknown opponent. Give me a break with the German hype.

Let me be clear, should we also wonder if Rohr was under the take to have had him in the squad?
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Rohr had the best pool of Nigerian players in a while at the last AFCON and still managed to underwhelm, yes we won the golden bronze but I can't remember any game we played in that tournament where we looked very good bar maybe the Cameroon 3-2 win. IMHO the chance of these team making it far in the AFCON 2022 will depend 90% on coaching than player selections. Even the players that looked very poor under Rohr might suddenly turn out to be very good playing under a new coach and a different system/team orientation... we saw how the same Tottenham players that looked average under Nuno Espirito Santo are looking world class under Conte... coaching makes the difference, not so much the personnels.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:17 am I have watched both play and I am not impressed with Akpoguma but that is just me. I really don't bat an eyelid considering his absence. It is not like he is central to the fortunes of this team. I have seen Ndah as well and I do not see him as key to SE and neither is he below Akpoguma in terms of performance bar the fact that he is in a German club and gets hyped.

Last time we saw Akpoguma he was huffing and puffing trying to keep up with some unknown opponent. Give me a break with the German hype.

Let me be clear, should we also wonder if Rohr was under the take to have had him in the squad?

Shouldn't we have standards besides our personal opinion of a player? By all accounts Akpoguma plays at a much higher level consistently than Ndah. Hoffenhein is a top 10 team in one of the top leagues in the world while Ndah is starter in a league that's way below in terms of quality and degree of difficulty.

When you consider the fact that Ndah was never in the SE pool of defenders heading into Afcon but was still able to make the team even though he hadn't played for the team. On what grounds is Ndah more deserving than Akpoguma besides ROI?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:14 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:17 am I have watched both play and I am not impressed with Akpoguma but that is just me. I really don't bat an eyelid considering his absence. It is not like he is central to the fortunes of this team. I have seen Ndah as well and I do not see him as key to SE and neither is he below Akpoguma in terms of performance bar the fact that he is in a German club and gets hyped.

Shouldn't we have standards besides our personal opinion of a player? By all accounts Akpoguma plays at a much higher level consistently than Ndah. Hoffenhein is a top 10 team in one of the top leagues in the world while Ndah is starter in a league that's way below in terms of quality and degree of difficulty.

When you consider the fact that Ndah was never in the SE pool of defenders heading into Afcon but was still able to make the team even though he hadn't played for the team. On what grounds is Ndah more deserving than Akpoguma besides ROI?
Emir

But what then is the use of a Manager if we use the criteria you proffer? In my view, the Manager should have the freedom to pick who ever. If the ream fails then the Manager is responsible. If we had the standard you mention, do you think Okoye will be an Eagle today? Fact is Rohr saw something in Okoye regardless of where Okoye was playing and had every right as Mansger to pick Okoye. That right should belong to every manager and the FA will retain the right to fire the manager if the team fails.

The point you mention about how close AFCON is clearly is a hindrance and I believe it prevented Egu from cutting more of Rohr's picks. He possibly made just these cuts given the expanded squad due to covid. He will likely rely on his game day selection and strategy to impart his own thinking.

Importantly, both Ndah and I believe other new players that Egu picked were not just wildcards. They had worked under Egu previously. He knows them. Certainly that is the case with Ndah. He must believe that Ndah definitely can pay on this team after training him previously. In essence, these new callups are not random but logical.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:26 am

Emir

But what then is the use of a Manager if we use the criteria you proffer? In my view, the Manager should have the freedom to pick who ever. If the ream fails then the Manager is responsible. If we had the standard you mention, do you think Okoye will be an Eagle today? Fact is Rohr saw something in Okoye regardless of where Okoye was playing and had every right as Mansger to pick Okoye. That right should belong to every manager and the FA will retain the right to fire the manager if the team fails.

The point you mention about how close AFCON is clearly is a hindrance and I believe it prevented Egu from cutting more of Rohr's picks. He possibly made just these cuts given the expanded squad due to covid. He will likely rely on his game day selection and strategy to impart his own thinking.
Okoye is no Ndah. We were desperate for Goalies when Okoye was given a chance, he did not have a pool of better established Goalies in front of him. Uzoho was hurt, Akpeyi unconvincing and getting older. The position was essentially vacant. I would understand if Ndah had played with the team and demonstrated that he could be a better fit. Instead, he'd on Xmas holiday in Nigeria and finds out he's going to Afcin at a peppersoup joint. It's not good!

The issues of integrity surrounding anything Nigerian is made worse. I mean, is he better than Ajayi? I doubt it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Was Akpoguma playing somewhere else when he was a deep bencher in SE and couldn’t get any games? So with his top 10 Bundesliga performance he was still getting benched by an old man in a useless Scottish league and an Error prone Ekong. But back then you didn’t cry foul or corruption or wonder why he couldn’t get a look in, that regardless of his top 10 bundesliga appearances he still wasn’t good enough to get any minutes? But suddenly when he’s dropped it’s blue murder, how could this possibly happen if not for corruption…blah blah blah

Dessers was playing in a higher league than Ighalo, did you cry blue murder and corruption when old man Odion was begged to come back while Dessers has never really gotten a fair shot?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:48 am

Was Akpoguma playing somewhere else when he was a deep bencher in SE and couldn’t get any games? So with his top 10 Bundesliga performance he was still getting benched by an old man in a useless Scottish league and an Error prone Ekong. But back then you didn’t cry foul or corruption or wonder why he couldn’t get a look in, that regardless of his top 10 bundesliga appearances he still wasn’t good enough to get any minutes? But suddenly when he’s dropped it’s blue murder, how could this possibly happen if not for corruption…blah blah blah
Pls stop. Akpoguma barely got a chance to adjust to SE and the African climate/game. I think he started 1 game and subbed in another, not enough time for acclamation. It's not even fair to expect him to start performing right away. This is nothing but player laundering, corruption and out right fraud.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:45 am

Emir

Okoye is no Ndah. We were desperate for Goalies when Okoye was given a chance, he did not have a pool of better established Goalies in front of him. Uzoho was hurt, Akpeyi unconvincing and getting older. The position was essentially vacant. I would understand if Ndah had played with the team and demonstrated that he could be a better fit. Instead, he'd on Xmas holiday in Nigeria and finds out he's going to Afcin at a peppersoup joint. It's not good!

The issues of integrity surrounding anything Nigerian is made worse. I mean, is he better than Ajayi? I doubt it.
Emir

I do not believe there is an issue of integrity at all. Ndah has reportedly been very good in the PSL. Scroll a few weeks back on this site and view my conversation with another member about Ndah. Ndah is not my favorite but that conversation led to video posts on Ndah demonstrating that he was doing quite well in the PSL.

Further, Egu is familiar with this player having managed him as the local SE prepared for the fame against Mexico in the USA.

In my view, the selection makes sense especially wit h a new coach seeking to stamp his identity on this team. I think it makes sense. Think when Amodu invited a few locals in the midst of World Cup qualifiers years ago. That is what this us. Do not be surprised if Ndah actually plays in games going forward under Egu.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:58 am

Emir

Emir

I do not believe there is an issue of integrity at all. Ndah has reportedly been very good in the PSL. Scroll a few weeks back on this site and view my conversation with another member about Ndah. Ndah is not my favorite but that conversation led to video posts on Ndah demonstrating that he was doing quite well in the PSL.

Further, Egu is familiar with this player having managed him as the local SE prepared for the fame against Mexico in the USA.

In my view, the selection makes sense especially wit h a new coach seeking to stamp his identity on this team. I think it makes sense. Think when Amodu invited a few locals in the midst of World Cup qualifiers years ago. That is what this us. Do not be surprised if Ndah actually plays in games going forward under Egu.
Of course he'll play under Eguavoen. How else will they reap their profit? Heck, he might even start every game.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:04 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:58 am

Emir

Emir

Of course he'll play under Eguavoen. How else will they reap their profit? Heck, he might even start every game.
Emir,

Ndah is a legit callup. Would it be right to claim Rohr made profits from Okoye's callup? Okoye was in hardly anyone's radar when he was called up! In Ndah's case, he already has multiple apps for Nigeria B and said to be a revelation in the PSL. I just do not see his call up as far fetched. Certainly not in the magnitude of Okoye's and yet I have not heard or read that Rohr calle Okoye because of profiteering. In my view, Ndah's call up is legitimate as any.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:54 am

Pls stop. Akpoguma barely got a chance to adjust to SE and the African climate/game. I think he started 1 game and subbed in another, not enough time for acclamation. It's not even fair to expect him to start performing right away. This is nothing but player laundering, corruption and out right fraud.
There were enough games and training sessions for him to show what he can do, he even got undeserved preferential treatment when he first switched and being immediately thrown into the starting lineup and he quickly played his way off the team and way down the pecking order. What acclimatization are you even talking about? You can’t argue with facts, he was a deep bencher despite playing at a higher level than those starting ahead of him. But at that time it wasn’t considered corruption when he was riding pine. I brought Dessers vs an Ighalo call up, that one nko no blue murder or corruption?

Funny thing if you go and see Ndahs play you will actually notice he’s the kind of Naija defender that has suited our style of play, someone comfortable with the ball at his feet, can handle a high press and play out of pressure, can pass accurately and not just hoof anywhere belle face.

You are complaining about Ndahs addition, but the likes of Troost and Balogun where were they at when they got brought into the SE fold? Tottenham reject, German division 2 when capped but now are main stays. Good coaches look at the full picture including skill set and not just the current club and pick players that fit how they want their team to play. I won’t be surprised if Ndah pushes more for a place than deep benchman Akpoguma was doing…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:26 am

There were enough games and training sessions for him to show what he can do, he even got undeserved preferential treatment when he first switched and being immediately thrown into the starting lineup and he quickly played his way off the team and way down the pecking order. What acclimatization are you even talking about? You can’t argue with facts, he was a deep bencher despite playing at a higher level than those starting ahead of him. But at that time it wasn’t considered corruption when he was riding pine. I brought Dessers vs an Ighalo call up, that one nko no blue murder or corruption?

Funny thing if you go and see Ndahs play you will actually notice he’s the kind of Naija defender that has suited our style of play, someone comfortable with the ball at his feet, can handle a high press and play out of pressure, can pass accurately and not just hoof anywhere belle face.

You are complaining about Ndahs addition, but the likes of Troost and Balogun where were they at when they got brought into the SE fold? Tottenham reject, German division 2 when capped but now are main stays. Good coaches look at the full picture including skill set and not just the current club and pick players that fit how they want their team to play. I won’t be surprised if Ndah pushes more for a place than deep benchman Akpoguma was doing…

Ok o. Ndah should be captain. Just don't complain if a player based in Sudan is given a chance ahead of him and others. Since we have no standards or methods for player selection then anything is possible, Uchebo, Ogbeche, Babatunde, Reuben Gabriel and Mba all agree with you .
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:31 am
maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:26 am

Ok o. Ndah should be captain. Just don't complain if a player based in Sudan is given a chance ahead of him and others. Since we have no standards or methods for player selection then anything is possible, Uchebo, Ogbeche, Babatunde, Reuben Gabriel and Mba all agree with you .
Bros, it’s just one player in a position where we are struggling for defenders that can play the ball out of the back, Awaziem and Omeruo are the only Naija style defenders we have, now add Ndah to that list and he’s on form at his club, I can see us being able to get back to the style that Keshi used to win in 2013 with a young Omeruo and unfancied Oboabona who were both good with the ball at their feet so we weren’t just playing kick and rush.

Super Eagus 4 Life!