Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by ukwala »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:19 am
Dammy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:19 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:14 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:17 am I have watched both play and I am not impressed with Akpoguma but that is just me. I really don't bat an eyelid considering his absence. It is not like he is central to the fortunes of this team. I have seen Ndah as well and I do not see him as key to SE and neither is he below Akpoguma in terms of performance bar the fact that he is in a German club and gets hyped.

Last time we saw Akpoguma he was huffing and puffing trying to keep up with some unknown opponent. Give me a break with the German hype.

Let me be clear, should we also wonder if Rohr was under the take to have had him in the squad?

Shouldn't we have standards besides our personal opinion of a player? By all accounts Akpoguma plays at a much higher level consistently than Ndah. Hoffenhein is a top 10 team in one of the top leagues in the world while Ndah is starter in a league that's way below in terms of quality and degree of difficulty.

When you consider the fact that Ndah was never in the SE pool of defenders heading into Afcon but was still able to make the team even though he hadn't played for the team. On what grounds is Ndah more deserving than Akpoguma besides ROI?
Leave them and their reprobate minds. They will try and justify anything that suits them. This was the practice that led us to missing successive AFCONs. This is the final squad for a major tournament and not an invitation to a training camp! Their corrupted minds see nothing wrong with a player who plays at a lower level and has not had a minute's training selected over a versatile player who plays at a much higher level and has been part of the squad for a year! This is how it begins and we saw this with the 2014 WC selection. I will *Nice Lady*, rant, moan about it because I want the best for the SE and not supporting an agenda.
Fact is that Ndah's selection over Akpoguma is unmerited and based on ROI. This is why a lot of fans don't want local coaches.
When you're done crying a bucket load of salty tears, it ain't changing sh#t, your white massa is gone with his useless "my team is young and they are learning" mediocre having self :rotf:. All of a sudden Akpoguma is the second coming of prime Maldini, the same Akpoguma that couldn't even start ahead of old man Balogun and error-prone Ekong under your Lord and savior Rohr is now the new best thing after sliced bread, make una continue, agenda must agend now that a local coach is in charge :taunt:
My brother the whole thing tire me! And the most unfortunate aspect of it all is impugning the integrity of Eguavoen simply because he is Nigerian.
Semi Ajayi played more games, was more established and impactful in the team than Akpoguma and was playing regularly for his club yet he was eased out without a whimper. Why? I can only imagine it was because it was done by the white coach.
It’s really shameful to attribute every decision by a local coach to corruption.
Eguavoen has never been afraid to introduce new players to his squads. He drafted 5 of the 2005 U-20 boys into his 2006 AFCON squad (Taiwo, Mikel, Adeleye, Ogbuke, Kaita) plus a previously unknown Yusuf Ayila and he did very well in the AFCON, considering where he was coming from.
Sven Goran Erickson took an untried, untested 17-year old Theo Walcott to the 2006 World Cup at a time he was yet to play a senior game for Arsenal (if memory serves me well) and heaven did not fall.
A coach lives and dies by his choices. Guys should let Eguavoen be please.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by Dammy »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:19 am
Dammy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:19 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:14 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:17 am I have watched both play and I am not impressed with Akpoguma but that is just me. I really don't bat an eyelid considering his absence. It is not like he is central to the fortunes of this team. I have seen Ndah as well and I do not see him as key to SE and neither is he below Akpoguma in terms of performance bar the fact that he is in a German club and gets hyped.

Last time we saw Akpoguma he was huffing and puffing trying to keep up with some unknown opponent. Give me a break with the German hype.

Let me be clear, should we also wonder if Rohr was under the take to have had him in the squad?

Shouldn't we have standards besides our personal opinion of a player? By all accounts Akpoguma plays at a much higher level consistently than Ndah. Hoffenhein is a top 10 team in one of the top leagues in the world while Ndah is starter in a league that's way below in terms of quality and degree of difficulty.

When you consider the fact that Ndah was never in the SE pool of defenders heading into Afcon but was still able to make the team even though he hadn't played for the team. On what grounds is Ndah more deserving than Akpoguma besides ROI?
Leave them and their reprobate minds. They will try and justify anything that suits them. This was the practice that led us to missing successive AFCONs. This is the final squad for a major tournament and not an invitation to a training camp! Their corrupted minds see nothing wrong with a player who plays at a lower level and has not had a minute's training selected over a versatile player who plays at a much higher level and has been part of the squad for a year! This is how it begins and we saw this with the 2014 WC selection. I will *Nice Lady*, rant, moan about it because I want the best for the SE and not supporting an agenda.
Fact is that Ndah's selection over Akpoguma is unmerited and based on ROI. This is why a lot of fans don't want local coaches.
When you're done crying a bucket load of salty tears, it ain't changing sh#t, your white massa is gone with his useless "my team is young and they are learning" mediocre having self :rotf:. All of a sudden Akpoguma is the second coming of prime Maldini, the same Akpoguma that couldn't even start ahead of old man Balogun and error-prone Ekong under your Lord and savior Rohr is now the new best thing after sliced bread, make una continue, agenda must agend now that a local coach is in charge :taunt:
I don't have a white or black master like you. It's only on record on this forum that I called for the sacking of Rohr but your porous memory will not allow you to remember. I support the SE period. I do not belong to your crew of "seeing or hearing no evil" because it suits your narrative. I'm not foolish to think that my opinion will change anything but it's my gaddem opinion and the likes of you cannot change it! I can cry a river if I want to and it's none of your effing business!
You keep comparing apples and oranges and now I fully understand why BP is always on your case!
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:04 am Looks pretty decent to me.
Nothing to raise eyebrows about, especially as he worked under Eguavon in the national B team in prep for the Mexico game.
Did he play vs Mexico?

Ndah played against Mexico. I am sure the full match would be on YouTube somewhere.

I don’t have a problem with Egu calling up one or two players of his own but I expected to see more of his players in the midfield where we have been short. Ndah at this stage is like the 5th choice central defender. And even behind Ndidi if we find ourselves short of central defenders. He is surplus to requirement for this tournament.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:46 am Ndah played against Mexico. I am sure the full match would be on YouTube somewhere.

I don’t have a problem with Egu calling up one or two players of his own but I expected to see more of his players in the midfield where we have been short. Ndah at this stage is like the 5th choice central defender. And even behind Ndidi if we find ourselves short of central defenders. He is surplus to requirement for this tournament.
There might be more to his game than we appreciate.
For instance, in the clips above he is playing at RB, is fast, skilful, two-footed and an accurate passer - much more than can be said of Ekong and even Balogun for that matter.
Let’s at least consider that Egu might believe the boy is good and will step up once given the chance.
It’s not as if Egu has flooded the squad with unknowns.

If we have to eat humble pie on Ndah, let’s eat it.
Happily sef.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I give it to you people straight. Idah invitation over Ebuehi makes no football sense. Maybe something else is going on. The selection is rubbish. You can't waste spots with Covid 19 uncertainty. That 5th choice might have to play a few games.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Shehu is too underrated here for a player that can play almost any position well, reminds me of the undeserved flak Elderson Echiejile got so many years when he was above average. The real dud are passing under the radar I think and one of those might be Simon that plays as a forward but cannot cross the ball, same with Musa but Musa gets a pass be ause he an change a good due to his fearlessness.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

18 DECEMBER 2021 2 MIN READ
Ndah injury unsettled Pirates in hammering by Sundowns, but 'that's no excuse'
in Sport / Soccer by Marc Strydom

Now a player is selected while injured, brings back memories........
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:30 pm I give it to you people straight. Idah invitation over Ebuehi makes no football sense. Maybe something else is going on. The selection is rubbish. You can't waste spots with Covid 19 uncertainty. That 5th choice might have to play a few games.
I don’t think he was selected over Ebuehi…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:44 pm 18 DECEMBER 2021 2 MIN READ

Dammy, I get your concerns and I know it is coming from a genuine place but maybe you are laser-focussed on the less important issues.
Ndah might well turn out to be a gem, unspotted by everyone but Eguavon.
His injury might be a minor one, predicted to be long forgotten by tournament time.

I just feel you need to give the benefit of the doubt to Egu.
Ignore the trolls winding you up. Many are from the same camp as those throwing insults and innuendos at Rohr. Now the tables have turned in their favour, they are suddenly hypersensitive to concerns of others about local coaches.

The prayer is to eat humble pie on Ndah if you love the SE, and it just might happen
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:12 pm

Dammy, I get your concerns and I know it is coming from a genuine place but maybe you are laser-focussed on the less important issues.
His injury might be a minor one, predicted to be long forgotten by tournament time.

Ignore the trolls winding you up. Many are from the same camp as those throwing insults and innuendos at Rohr. Now the tables have turned in their favour, they are suddenly hypersensitive to concerns of others about local coaches.

The prayer is to eat humble pie on Ndah if you love the SE, and it just might happen
Why have the "trolls" not attacked me or Lolly? We have both criticised Ndah's selection over Akpoguma.

Dammy has been rightly called out because he cast aspersions on the integrity of yet another local coach because he didn't like a selection. If he has any information to prove corruption he should publish the info or pass it to investigative journalists (preferably foreign as he will not trust local ones).

For all my criticism of Rohr I never called him corrupt.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We have an Afcon to prosecute. Let us ignore the detractors. Come on SE let's go and enjoy our purposeful football.

I am happy to see the following players. Sadiq, Dennis, Nwakwali, Ndah, all added...notice these are attacking players... people are vexing over players the previous coach hardly used. How many times did Ebuehi travel down and gets overlooked by ****? So ignored sotey the fake coach claimed the bobo no fit play for African pitch
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:50 pm

Why have the "trolls" not attacked me or Lolly? We have both criticised Ndah's selection over Akpoguma.

Dammy has been rightly called out because he cast aspersions on the integrity of yet another local coach because he didn't like a selection. If he has any information to prove corruption he should publish the info or pass it to investigative journalists (preferably foreign as he will not trust local ones).

Semantics! Let them keep calling me out! I say it as I see it.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:17 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:34 am Nigeria 4 Salone 4 Akpoguma played 90 mins.. since then even that fake **** never played him.
Akpoguma has never played at centreback. Rohr was a fool to insert Akpo there ahead of Aina.
VE

Well we are told Akpoguma can play there and did so for his club. However, we saw him play there for Nigeria and it was an eyesore.

Guys please do not go back to delete your posts when this Ndah kid blossoms. If he is fit and stuns at the AFCON you will be made to eat your words. Let me state that I am no fan of his because I feel that he focuses so much on anticipation but akamoke claims he is quicker than I think. What is not disputable is that his talent had long been noted in Nigeria which led to several appearances for Nigeria B and now getting good reviews In South AfricaA. Those of you affixed to EPL will never know thus, ofcourse. Well, welcome to the real world. Football is not only played in EPL or Europe. It is a game played globally.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Which of the goalkeepers should they have dropped for him?
Lolly wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:47 am
maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:08 am Feel bad for Ebuehi though, keep your head up

https://www.instagram.com/tyronneebuehi ... =copy_link
His omission is criminal. He should be going instead of Shehu and we don’t need 4 goalkeepers. I feel for the lad.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Idah has retired. :taunt:
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:30 pm I give it to you people straight. Idah invitation over Ebuehi makes no football sense. Maybe something else is going on. The selection is rubbish. You can't waste spots with Covid 19 uncertainty. That 5th choice might have to play a few games.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:46 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:04 am Looks pretty decent to me.
Nothing to raise eyebrows about, especially as he worked under Eguavon in the national B team in prep for the Mexico game.
Did he play vs Mexico?

Ndah played against Mexico. I am sure the full match would be on YouTube somewhere.

Lolly,

How do you know that Ndah is the 5th choice central defender? You must be clairvoyant to know that. Remember this is no longer Gernot Rohr at the helm. All these players and all positions are virtually in play. It is a new world, bros. Only very few of these players are certain of starting and that is possibly Osimhen and Ndidi. The rest of them CANNOT BE ASSURED OF ANYTHING!!!! Take that to the bank. All positions and formations are open. The perfunctory idea of Musa coming in late at all games cannot even be assured. Okoye as starting keeper is open to challenge. Better believe it. So Ndah, its all on him, can fight for a starting spot!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:22 pm Which of the goalkeepers should they have dropped for him?
Lolly wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:47 am
maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:08 am Feel bad for Ebuehi though, keep your head up

https://www.instagram.com/tyronneebuehi ... =copy_link
His omission is criminal. He should be going instead of Shehu and we don’t need 4 goalkeepers. I feel for the lad.
I don’t know who should have been dropped but I now it is mental taking 4 goalkeepers to a tournament even under COVID.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy

Should we assume that you have an agenda against Ndah and home based players whether they are good or not. Why this agenda to see them not play for their homeland even when they are good?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Dammy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:04 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:50 pm

Semantics! Let them keep calling me out! I say it as I see it.
You have seen nothing and you have no evidence apart from oyibo na oyibo. If you make such claims you back them up or expect to be called out. We will keep calling out your smear attempts against local coaches.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:07 pm

Dammy

Should we assume that you have an agenda against Ndah and home based players whether they are good or not. Why this agenda to see them not play for their homeland even when they are good?

But does he have an injury or not? Or should we simply ignore that because you think Dammy has an agenda against HB players?

Seems that Ndah has not played 90mins of football in nearly one month....
Last edited by txj on Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ndah COULD be a gem. But why drop Akpoguma and not Omeruo who has been languishing in 2nd division , and is getting older. Makes no sense. Just looks like Egu is slowly trying to get rid of foreign born. Just what it looks like.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Dammy

But does he have an injury or not? Or should we simply ignore that because you think Dammy has an agenda against HB players?

Seems that Ndah has not played 90mins of football in one month....
But none of this matters because obviously there is a player to sell.

28 players and we have even more room for passengers and agents picks.

Thing is this covid is no joke, and we can have players wiped out of the team. There is no room for pretenders on our bench. Now more than ever. I just can't wait for this Portugese coach to be confirmed, just for this one reason.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Dammy

Seems that Ndah has not played 90mins of football in one month....
If true, this should def raise eyebrows.
Is it confirmed?