Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

I’m surprised Victor Moses and Ademola Lookman didn’t make the cut but happy that Nwakali finally gets a look❗️

Cheers.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Flag of Nigeria Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by Tobi17 »

joao wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:33 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:04 pm You still can drop and add whoever you want on your list. Eguavoen has made his list.
Abe no mind our always complaining ITKs.
Eguavoen is yet to play a game and CE experts are already judging him.
Can't wait to see the starting eleven. There will be smoke and fire on CyberEagus.
Exactly, I don't care so much about the player selections... By and large the team isn't far from what 80% of Nigerian fans were expecting so I'm not too ruffled about... what matters most to me is how Eguavoen will set up his team and how the SE will adapt to his style of football.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Mr Shows wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:13 pm It too late in the day to make wholesale changes for a tournament kicking off in a few weeks time. Akpoguma and Ebuehi haven't featured in recent games, so their omission is understandable. Shehu Musa, while not a fan favourite is a coaches player (Like Garba Lawal). Igahlo was top scorer in the last ANC, Dressers for all he brings, hasn't cut his teeth on the African stage. He is still in for a shout during the WC play off.

Nwakali is the wildcard in this squad. This is sink or swim time. I feel Eguavoen may try Ejuke in the no10 position if Nwakali can't hack it. Fall back is Aribo.

There will always be Q's on who should or shouldn't be included in a 28 man squad. However, only 11 will cross the white line on match day and I doubt we will see much changes in personnel.
Nwakali is not a #10. He will be competing with Frank Onyeka to play alongside Ndidi in central midfield❗️

Cheers.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

This is a list designed to prosecute all matches in the AFCON. All matches as in group stage to the final. Not a paid 'learning' adventure but a list designed to ensure only one outcome. Victory on Feb 6th, 2022.

With Oshimen's injury, expect him to play 60 mins max against Egypt. Another forward sub comes in. The calculation is should we win against Egypt, expect 45 mins max for Oshimen in the next match against Sudan. Another forward sub. Part of Eguavoen's tournament objective is to make sure at least 80% of the bench is used by the 3rd match against Guinea Bissau. If after first two victories, expect full rotation. Use certain players, have them rested for knockout stages. All this scenario hangs on a big must win against Egypt. Big win as in a 2 to 3 goal difference. No defensive, counter attacking, wishing, praying, and hoping BS. There are certain players dropped from this list that are on standby for a provisional WC List. He knows it. The selected players know it. The next coach after an unsuccessful AFCON knows it. The world Cup allows only 23 players per team. This would be the last call for Ighalo, and Musa barring an exceptional performance.

Game management. Tournament management. It is all on the line for Eguavoen, the NFF technical director who had front row seat to 5+yrs of Rohr's cluelessness, ineptitude, mental, and tactical inflexibility.

It is Eguavoen's rendezvous with destiny to join the elite club of players, and then coaches to have won the AFCON.

Eguavoen knows the only way he is going to coach Nigeria at QATAR 2022 is to win the AFCON. Anything else puts him back to the basement.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:37 pm Mystic,

Given this squad list, one has to speculate about a subplot. I think you capture some of this in your #12.

I have read your analysis and I agree but one has to add the following:

1. It is clear that Eguavoen wants to put his stamp on this AFCON. Obviously, he wants to make clear that if he wins this AFCON that it MUST be credited to him and not to his predecessor. He has now made that clear with his tweaking of this squad, which is pretty obvious. The next step is how this team will be deployed and how it plays.

2. The non-listing of some players definitely is to define the above intent. Thus, the absence of Ebuehi, Akpoguma, and the like are not mere coincidence but likely intended to send a message. That may also be the caser with the absence of Lookman and Ejaria in spite of expectations created if Rohr had remained in the saddle. THis may also explain the omission (is it really?) of Basssey on the list.

3. Better believe that the inclusion of Ndah and Nwakali is part of that message. Both were unlikerly to be on the list drawn up by Rohr.

4. I believe that if the NPFL had been in gear for a while, Egu possibly would have called up more than the few now listed. The call up of Ndah from South Africa is a stretch to satisfy midway the yelling for NPFL (or atleast non-Euro based talent).

5. There will definitely be changes in the regular personnel deployed on the field. Make no mistake about that. The likes of Ejuke, Dennis, and Awazirem are more likely to become regulars. That is now more likely. There may be one or two such changes in the regular lineup that starts the game. Bet on it. The stamp of Eguavoen will be unmistakable.

6. I suspect that Egu will wish to try a 2-striker formation but he needs preparatory games for that. Rohr was reticent attempting that and in a recent game where he did, it failed to yield dividend. However, I feel Egu will wish to do that using a more creative midfield to assist going forward but not at the risk of not protecting the back line. Expect this but there needs to be one or two preparatory games to help.

mystic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:01 pm Congratulations to the players that made the squad.

A few comments:

1. I'm not a fan of John Noble as I believe that we have better goalkeepers. One of Olorunleke Ojo(Enyimba) Adewale Adeyinka(Akwa Utd) or Adebayo Adeleye(Hapoel Katamon Jerusalem) would have been a better choice. However Noble was on the original provisional list and is still well thought of by the goalkeeper coach Alloy Agu and that was always going to give him the edge.

2. Olisa Ndah has been brilliant at Orlando Pirates and his form was rewarded. I've been a big fan of his since watching him play for the U23s as well as the Home-based national team.

3. All the same I am bummed for Kevin Akpoguma who I believe has been seriously undervalued. Eguavoen has probably viewed him as a defender who gives him cover at CB/RB which he already has in Chidozie Awaziem. That probably did him in and opened the door for Ndah.

4. Speaking of undervalued, Shehu Abdullahi is consistently undervalued in these parts because folks continue to underrate the importance of his versatility. When building squad depth coaches need players like Shehu that give you cover at multiple positions and that's what's keeping him relevant in the team.

5. Having said that, I'd have gone for Tyrone Ebuehi in this spot because he's simply a superior player. But I understand the rational for keeping Shehu.

6. I'm glad to see Kelechi Nwakali in the squad. His fortunes at Huesca have changed with the arrival of coach Xisco Munoz from Watford. I was hoping that the new staff would look at one or both of Kelechi Nwakali and Raphael Onyedika; and Nwakali has gotten the nod.

7. Eguavoen has had the good sense to drop Innocent Bonke. Thank goodness for that!

8. No Ovie Ejaria or Ademola Lookman. I'm not surprised about Ejaria given that he's been out of the Reading lineup this month. As for Lookman I didn't really see a way into the squad for him at this time - particularly with Ahmed Musa (rightly or wrongly) still in the picture.

9. Speaking of Musa he makes it into the squad ahead of Lookman and Samuel Kalu. But there's no surprise here. If Kalu was in form it would have been interesting to see how Eguavoen would have resolved that. But he isn't and Egu doesn't have the loyalty to him that Gernot Rohr did.

10. Apart from adding Nwakali in midfield, the other key additions are in the attack with Emmanuel Dennis and Sadiq Umar making the final roster. I've been a big believer in both players for some time and folks are finally seeing it with Dennis shinning at Watford and Sadiq having a couple of super productive seasons at both Partizan Belgrade and Almeria. The addition of these two players seriously upgrades our options in the frontline.

11. I have mixed feelings about the return of Ighalo. I certainly think that he's still good enough to positively impact the Super Eagles and I understood Rohr's rational for bringing him back vis-a-vis his experience, professionalism and competitive spirit. However, when you look at the history of Nigerian football and bringing back retired players, these things rarely work and more often than not tend to blow up in our faces. All the same I have tremendous respect for Ighalo and I wish him all the best. Hopefully he'll come through for us when it counts as the coaches envision.

12. I believe that this is virtually the same squad we'd have paraded to the Nations Cup with Gernot Rohr bar two or three players. The two sure fire changes that Egu made are Olisa Ndah over Kevin Akpoguma, and Kelechi Nwakali over Innocent Bonke. Of the two changes I like the latter but in siddon look mode over the wisdom of the former. I also think that Rohr would have kept Samuel Kalu - meaning that one of Sadiq Umar or Taiwo Awoniyi (more likely Sadiq) wouldn't have made the squad. Just something to think about.

13. Good squad overall.

Again congratulations to the players that made the squad. Now go and make us proud!
EII,

I mostly agree. The Eguavoen stamp would have been even more noticeable if he hadn’t been limited by Rohr’s particular choices for the provisional list. Had it been possible for Eguavoen to go outside the provisional list, you would probably have seen the inclusion of Anayo Iwuala❗️

Cheers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bret Fart, we cant risk Nigeria's no 2 goalkeeper in local league games. Thats what Adeleke is for...😁
bret- hart wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:30 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:23 pm Bret Fart, and other farters, how many Orlando pirates games have you watched to know that Ndah is not balling either?

Is this not the same Akpoguma that many here kept off their list after he featured for Nigeria? He has been in the SE set up for more than 3 years, so if he is still battling with Ndah fir a spot, then he aint it.
bret- hart wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:01 pm I forgot about Akpoguma sef. Dude is balling in the Bundesliga but you drop him for bums playing in Cyprus and Bundesliga 2. shiiii

At least he is playing regularly and mind you I am not for his inclusion. Bassey is the one that should have been called up. Your boy Noble is chopping bench at Enyinmba. You no dey shame?? Yeye Agent. Wooooooooo :rotf:
Last edited by 1naija on Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:35 pm We will see when Eguoavoen draws up a list that is entirely his, as this is based on Rohrs 40.

I see both positives and negatives that can directly be attributed to Eguavoen.

Positive.

He replaced Onuachu with a midfielder which seems to show that he is willing to address midfield problem unlike Rohr.

Negative

Replaced Akpoguma with Nda. To me this shows that they are back to selling players. Not a good sign.

Shehu, Musa, Ighalo cannot be blamed on Rohr or Eguoavoen. That is on the NFF.

Rohr clearly wanted Ighalo back and I dont think that can be disputed.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:05 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:37 pm Mystic,

Given this squad list, one has to speculate about a subplot. I think you capture some of this in your #12.

I have read your analysis and I agree but one has to add the following:

1. It is clear that Eguavoen wants to put his stamp on this AFCON. Obviously, he wants to make clear that if he wins this AFCON that it MUST be credited to him and not to his predecessor. He has now made that clear with his tweaking of this squad, which is pretty obvious. The next step is how this team will be deployed and how it plays.

2. The non-listing of some players definitely is to define the above intent. Thus, the absence of Ebuehi, Akpoguma, and the like are not mere coincidence but likely intended to send a message. That may also be the caser with the absence of Lookman and Ejaria in spite of expectations created if Rohr had remained in the saddle. THis may also explain the omission (is it really?) of Basssey on the list.

3. Better believe that the inclusion of Ndah and Nwakali is part of that message. Both were unlikerly to be on the list drawn up by Rohr.

4. I believe that if the NPFL had been in gear for a while, Egu possibly would have called up more than the few now listed. The call up of Ndah from South Africa is a stretch to satisfy midway the yelling for NPFL (or atleast non-Euro based talent).

5. There will definitely be changes in the regular personnel deployed on the field. Make no mistake about that. The likes of Ejuke, Dennis, and Awazirem are more likely to become regulars. That is now more likely. There may be one or two such changes in the regular lineup that starts the game. Bet on it. The stamp of Eguavoen will be unmistakable.

6. I suspect that Egu will wish to try a 2-striker formation but he needs preparatory games for that. Rohr was reticent attempting that and in a recent game where he did, it failed to yield dividend. However, I feel Egu will wish to do that using a more creative midfield to assist going forward but not at the risk of not protecting the back line. Expect this but there needs to be one or two preparatory games to help.

mystic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:01 pm Congratulations to the players that made the squad.

A few comments:

1. I'm not a fan of John Noble as I believe that we have better goalkeepers. One of Olorunleke Ojo(Enyimba) Adewale Adeyinka(Akwa Utd) or Adebayo Adeleye(Hapoel Katamon Jerusalem) would have been a better choice. However Noble was on the original provisional list and is still well thought of by the goalkeeper coach Alloy Agu and that was always going to give him the edge.

2. Olisa Ndah has been brilliant at Orlando Pirates and his form was rewarded. I've been a big fan of his since watching him play for the U23s as well as the Home-based national team.

3. All the same I am bummed for Kevin Akpoguma who I believe has been seriously undervalued. Eguavoen has probably viewed him as a defender who gives him cover at CB/RB which he already has in Chidozie Awaziem. That probably did him in and opened the door for Ndah.

4. Speaking of undervalued, Shehu Abdullahi is consistently undervalued in these parts because folks continue to underrate the importance of his versatility. When building squad depth coaches need players like Shehu that give you cover at multiple positions and that's what's keeping him relevant in the team.

5. Having said that, I'd have gone for Tyrone Ebuehi in this spot because he's simply a superior player. But I understand the rational for keeping Shehu.

6. I'm glad to see Kelechi Nwakali in the squad. His fortunes at Huesca have changed with the arrival of coach Xisco Munoz from Watford. I was hoping that the new staff would look at one or both of Kelechi Nwakali and Raphael Onyedika; and Nwakali has gotten the nod.

7. Eguavoen has had the good sense to drop Innocent Bonke. Thank goodness for that!

8. No Ovie Ejaria or Ademola Lookman. I'm not surprised about Ejaria given that he's been out of the Reading lineup this month. As for Lookman I didn't really see a way into the squad for him at this time - particularly with Ahmed Musa (rightly or wrongly) still in the picture.

9. Speaking of Musa he makes it into the squad ahead of Lookman and Samuel Kalu. But there's no surprise here. If Kalu was in form it would have been interesting to see how Eguavoen would have resolved that. But he isn't and Egu doesn't have the loyalty to him that Gernot Rohr did.

10. Apart from adding Nwakali in midfield, the other key additions are in the attack with Emmanuel Dennis and Sadiq Umar making the final roster. I've been a big believer in both players for some time and folks are finally seeing it with Dennis shinning at Watford and Sadiq having a couple of super productive seasons at both Partizan Belgrade and Almeria. The addition of these two players seriously upgrades our options in the frontline.

11. I have mixed feelings about the return of Ighalo. I certainly think that he's still good enough to positively impact the Super Eagles and I understood Rohr's rational for bringing him back vis-a-vis his experience, professionalism and competitive spirit. However, when you look at the history of Nigerian football and bringing back retired players, these things rarely work and more often than not tend to blow up in our faces. All the same I have tremendous respect for Ighalo and I wish him all the best. Hopefully he'll come through for us when it counts as the coaches envision.

12. I believe that this is virtually the same squad we'd have paraded to the Nations Cup with Gernot Rohr bar two or three players. The two sure fire changes that Egu made are Olisa Ndah over Kevin Akpoguma, and Kelechi Nwakali over Innocent Bonke. Of the two changes I like the latter but in siddon look mode over the wisdom of the former. I also think that Rohr would have kept Samuel Kalu - meaning that one of Sadiq Umar or Taiwo Awoniyi (more likely Sadiq) wouldn't have made the squad. Just something to think about.

13. Good squad overall.

Again congratulations to the players that made the squad. Now go and make us proud!
EII,

I mostly agree. The Eguavoen stamp would have been even more noticeable if he hadn’t been limited by Rohr’s particular choices for the provisional list. Had it been possible for Eguavoen to go outside the provisional list, you would probably have seen the inclusion of Anayo Iwuala❗️

Cheers.
Would Eguoavoens "stamp" had he had full control been a good or a bad thing?

I think it's very likely it would have been bad going by the final decisions he made in his 28.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:39 pm
gurrano wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:29 pm
Odas wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:14 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:42 pm Different coach same madness. Too many goalkeepers, too many defenders, too many forwards but very few central midfielders. Who swear for us?
Lolly, abeg make you no stat troble-oo! Shey Rohr must be fired, right? Well, Rohr has been fired, but let's wait and see.

They might be the same players, but with different approach and tactics, things might be better. Thus for now, hold-on to what you think.
I agree with Lolly on this point.. why do we need 4 goalkeepers, 9 defenders and 10 strikers while the midfield which has been an area of concern has only 5 players listed
That one is on Rohr.

But why would Eguoavoen drop Ejaria for all those defenders and strikers.

There seems to be conflicting reports.

We know Rohr chose the 40, but who chose the 28 ?

I dont believe the 28 is Rohrs decision. Why would it be ?
The 28 man list is Eguoavoen's working within the provisional list that he inherited. There is confusion because Rohr's 40 man provisional list was never made public. Clearly Eguavoen did not have license to alter the provisional list but Onuachu's injury opened the door for him to bring in Nwakali.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

mystic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:12 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:35 pm We will see when Eguoavoen draws up a list that is entirely his, as this is based on Rohrs 40.

Positive.

He replaced Onuachu with a midfielder which seems to show that he is willing to address midfield problem unlike Rohr.

Negative

Replaced Akpoguma with Nda. To me this shows that they are back to selling players. Not a good sign.

But Eguoavoen did not drop any of Ighalo, Sbehu, or Musa.

He could have done so but he didn't. So that one is not on Rohr but the NFF.

I was actually hoping Egu would have been the end of these players but clearly not. I had pointed to evidence where Rohr had dropped Musa only for the NFF to intervene. Rohr even admitted that powerful people forced him TO PLAY MUSA.

Clearly this nonsense will continue with Egu and there are indications it will even get WORSE.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I take it most of you questioning Ighalo's inclusion would have preferred we go to the AFCON with one striker...osimhen, like we did during the qualifiers.

Positive.

Negative

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Positive.

Negative

But Eguoavoen did not drop any of Ighalo, Sbehu, or Musa.

He could have done so but he didn't. So that one is not on Rohr but the NFF.

I was actually hoping Egu would have been the end of these players but clearly not. I had pointed to evidence where Rohr had dropped Musa only for the NFF to intervene. Rohr even admitted that powerful people forced him TO PLAY MUSA.

Clearly this nonsense will continue with Egu and there are indications it will even get WORSE.

None of the above changes the fact that Rohr was the primary driver in bringing back Ighalo. Even Ighalo has said as much.

As for the final 28, the buck stops with Eguavoen.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Not sure the list makes a whole lot of sense to me.
We seem to be solving the wrong problems.
Like Osimhen’s injury. I know we all love Awoniyi and Umar, but no squad needs those two, plus Dennis, Iheanacho, Osimhen and Ighalo in a team that is likely to play only one attacker, especially with a slew of wide-attackers.
And this nonsense about looking for an AM when we don’t really need one. And so we invite Nwakali, when Aribo and Iwobi are already in the squad.
Meanwhile, Ndidi is the only genuine defensive midfielder in the squad. And Balogun the only CD comfortable on the ball. And we’ve kept Bassey at home leaving guess who, Balogun again, as our left-sided CD.
And then we keep folks like Shehu and Musa in the squad when we should be blooding Alhassan and Amoo.
So no, I don’t get it. I don’t get it all.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Positive.

Negative

Don’t mind VE, **** had been begging Ighalo, **** said with his own mouth he picks the team, there could be advise but he makes the final decision. This is ****s list but somehow others will be blamed for it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:23 pm I take it most of you questioning Ighalo's inclusion would have preferred we go to the AFCON with one striker...osimhen, like we did during the qualifiers.

Positive.

Negative

There are more than 2 strikers on the list so subtracting Ighalo wouldn’t equal 1….
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:48 pm Not sure the list makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Like Osimhen’s injury. I know we all love Awoniyi and Umar, but no squad needs those two, plus Dennis, Iheanacho, Osimhen and Ighalo in a team that is likely to play only one attacker, especially with a slew of wide-attackers.
And this nonsense about looking for an AM when we don’t really need one. And so we invite Nwakali, when Aribo and Iwobi are already in the squad.
Meanwhile, Ndidi is the only genuine defensive midfielder in the squad. And Balogun the only CD comfortable on the ball. And we’ve kept Bassey at home leaving guess who, Balogun again, as our left-sided CD.
And then we keep folks like Shehu and Musa in the squad when we should be blooding Alhassan and Amoo.
Nwakali is not an AM, he’s a deep lying CM, neither Aribo nor Iwobi has his skill set. That said Nwakali is so frail and lazy that I’m not sure if he can really add enough, would have preferred Yusuf who is more similar to be added alongside Nwakali. Also Nwakali makes us a bit more deadly on set pieces he’s taken some more pretty brilliant ones for his team this season.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:39 pm
gurrano wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:29 pm
Odas wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:14 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:42 pm Different coach same madness. Too many goalkeepers, too many defenders, too many forwards but very few central midfielders. Who swear for us?
Lolly, abeg make you no stat troble-oo! Shey Rohr must be fired, right? Well, Rohr has been fired, but let's wait and see.

They might be the same players, but with different approach and tactics, things might be better. Thus for now, hold-on to what you think.
I agree with Lolly on this point.. why do we need 4 goalkeepers, 9 defenders and 10 strikers while the midfield which has been an area of concern has only 5 players listed
That one is on Rohr.

But why would Eguoavoen drop Ejaria for all those defenders and strikers.

There seems to be conflicting reports.

We know Rohr chose the 40, but who chose the 28 ?

I dont believe the 28 is Rohrs decision. Why would it be ?
I agree actually. Why would the final 28 be Rohr’s. The guy was fired. Are we already planning to blame anything that happens going forward on him. There is a new coach. He submitted the list. The buck stops with him. I trust he knows why he chose this guys and I support him. No need to blame Rohr.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I take it you've not seen Umar as a winger. In fact the two times i have watched him, he was played as a winger.

The only questionable inclusion in the list given his last performance for Nigeria, and the inclusion of Denis and Sadiq, is Awoniyi.

waka-man wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:48 pm Not sure the list makes a whole lot of sense to me.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Good list. They should be able to win Afcon with Eguavoen coaching this team.
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:21 pm I take it you've not seen Umar as a winger. In fact the two times i have watched him, he was played as a winger.

The only questionable inclusion in the list given his last performance for Nigeria, and the inclusion of Denis and Sadiq, is Awoniyi.

Man, in which case the logic makes even less sense. We need more wingers?

No squad needs:
Awoniyi
Sadiq
Dennis
Osimhen
Ighalo
Iheanacho
Chukwueze
Moses
Ejuke
Iwobi
Musa

And only Ndidi as a DM.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:21 pm I take it you've not seen Umar as a winger. In fact the two times i have watched him, he was played as a winger.

Taiwo played one game. Not a fair assessment given Dennis did not light up when he got a chance for Nigeria and Sadiq has no such comparison as yet. Taiwo has been at least as good for his team as any Nigerian attacker this season. Top 5 league, Europe. Maybe we wait for Sadiq to get one game for Nigeria or play in a league like the Bundesliga. It would have been a travesty to disregard Taiwo because of one subbed in game.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Based on the list, the likely srarting 11 will be

Akpeyi
Ekong
Balogun
Awaziem
Aina
Aribo
Ndidi
Iwobi
Simon
Sadiq
Osimhen / Denis .. depending on Osimhen's health.

This lineup gives us the flexibility of playing Osimhen as the lone striker with Sadiq on the wing , then switching to make both of the main strikers.

Coach 1naija is the shiznit!!!!4👍👍👍😁
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

1naija wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:31 pm Based on the list, the likely srarting 11 will be

Akpeyi
Ekong
Balogun
Awaziem
Aina
Aribo
Ndidi
Iwobi
Simon
Sadiq
Osimhen / Denis .. depending on Osimhen's health.

This lineup gives us the flexibility of playing Osimhen as the lone striker with Sadiq on the wing , then switching to make both of the main strikers.

Coach 1naija is the shiznit!!!!4👍👍👍😁
Sadiq not playing as a winger on this team not with Samu, Ejuke and even Dennis in the midst. He is Covid cover for striker position. Na me talk am.