First game of 2022 - Ighalo scored a good goal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: First game of 2022 - Ighalo scored a good goal

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ighalo wouldn't make the squad. Got to think long term, big picture. Ighalo will just take minutes away from Awoniyi and Sadiq. He is also not prolific in front of goal. What will team look like in 2026.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:45 pm Ighalo wouldn't make the squad. Got to think long term, big picture. Ighalo will just take minutes away from Awoniyi and Sadiq. He is also not prolific in front of goal. What will team look like in 2026.
Not prolific in front of goal yet top scorer in last AFCON. What does that tell you?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Tbite wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 am Let me say this about Ighalo.

I am usually very critical of players who stay past their expiry date, even players who sacrificed and delivered for the country in the past. It is unfortunate but that is the nature of football. Football is about what have you done for me lately. That is not a wrong position, it is just common sense. There are ways to honor legends off the field.

I thought Yobo stayed past his expiry date and I think Ahmed Musa is staying past his.

However, I do not believe that Ighalo is past it. Not even close. Not only that, but I think Ighalo is incredibly underrated by Nigerian football fans. Think of how good you think Ighalo is and multiply it by two, that is how good he really is. Ighalo is facing the same sort of scrutiny that Yakubu Aiyegbeni did, both of them had horrendous misses in Mundial, both of them were underrated, one in his entire career (Yakubu) and the other mostly for GWG.

Ighalo's cameo for United didn't just show a sentimental side to the man, it showed genuine staying power. The man has been SE material for the past 5 or so years. Genuinely. Ighalo has mostly chosen where to play based on a paycheck (the United example notwithstanding), but he is no expired good. Don't be fooled by his Super League and Middle East exploits.

This guy can hack it! It is clear to see. He has a sharpness in front of goal that is natural, and he is not lethargic.

Now one might say that we have Terrem Moffi, that we have Awoniyi, that we have Dennis (had), Osimhen (had) etc. but apart from Osimhen, I am not even sure that any of these guys have truly surpassed Ighalo. I am not saying that they haven't, but they haven't really proven it. Doing well in Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga in 1 season, great....but Ighalo has shown staying power.

I do not think he should get in the way of youth, but he hasn't suggested that he is. But is experience, combined with his consistency, suggests that he is not a desperate inclusion. Nigerians think that he is someone brought in because people ran out of ideas. A foolish proposition.

There are some Nigerian footballers that we didn't get everything from them that we could. Enyeama is one (he had more left), Ighalo is another IMO. Bobo is not done oh!
Ighalo is just too slow and heavy for this current squad. Didn't you watch our last game against CV? He had issues running into the box on time, it was just Osimhen that was doing all the hustling and running.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:53 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:45 pm Ighalo wouldn't make the squad. Got to think long term, big picture. Ighalo will just take minutes away from Awoniyi and Sadiq. He is also not prolific in front of goal. What will team look like in 2026.
Not prolific in front of goal yet top scorer in last AFCON. What does that tell you?
That he was prolific two years ago! :sneaky:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:11 pm
That he was prolific two years ago! :sneaky:
No, he is prolific against African teams. :sneaky:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

gochino wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 pm

I am usually very critical of players who stay past their expiry date, even players who sacrificed and delivered for the country in the past. It is unfortunate but that is the nature of football. Football is about what have you done for me lately. That is not a wrong position, it is just common sense. There are ways to honor legends off the field.

I thought Yobo stayed past his expiry date and I think Ahmed Musa is staying past his.

However, I do not believe that Ighalo is past it. Not even close. Not only that, but I think Ighalo is incredibly underrated by Nigerian football fans. Think of how good you think Ighalo is and multiply it by two, that is how good he really is. Ighalo is facing the same sort of scrutiny that Yakubu Aiyegbeni did, both of them had horrendous misses in Mundial, both of them were underrated, one in his entire career (Yakubu) and the other mostly for GWG.

Ighalo's cameo for United didn't just show a sentimental side to the man, it showed genuine staying power. The man has been SE material for the past 5 or so years. Genuinely. Ighalo has mostly chosen where to play based on a paycheck (the United example notwithstanding), but he is no expired good. Don't be fooled by his Super League and Middle East exploits.

This guy can hack it! It is clear to see. He has a sharpness in front of goal that is natural, and he is not lethargic.

Now one might say that we have Terrem Moffi, that we have Awoniyi, that we have Dennis (had), Osimhen (had) etc. but apart from Osimhen, I am not even sure that any of these guys have truly surpassed Ighalo. I am not saying that they haven't, but they haven't really proven it. Doing well in Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga in 1 season, great....but Ighalo has shown staying power.

I do not think he should get in the way of youth, but he hasn't suggested that he is. But is experience, combined with his consistency, suggests that he is not a desperate inclusion. Nigerians think that he is someone brought in because people ran out of ideas. A foolish proposition.

There are some Nigerian footballers that we didn't get everything from them that we could. Enyeama is one (he had more left), Ighalo is another IMO. Bobo is not done oh!
Ighalo is just too slow and heavy for this current squad. Didn't you watch our last game against CV? He had issues running into the box on time, it was just Osimhen that was doing all the hustling and running.
He was the secondary/support striker, mainly there to hold on to the ball and draw other players to join the attack. Play him as the lone striker and he is much better. The other players in camp are not as experienced, strong and smart as Ighalo. But we will see who is right in a few weeks time.

gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:38 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:11 am Nigerians are a joke.

You have literally one of the hottest groups of young strikers in the world yet you want to start a washed up player based on past glory.

This is the kind of nonsense that had a fat and clubless Musa starting games. And we wonder why we fail.

There is no justifiable reason Ighalo should be starting ahead of Awoniyi or Sadiq.

Football is what have you done for lately, not 2 and half years ago.

People act like 2 and half years is not a long time in football.

Osimehn was a NOBODY 2 and half years ago.
Anybody who knows his football very well should know you start with your experienced striker and gradually introduce the kids later on. Ighalo is the glue that holds the ball and helps your midfielders join in attack. None of the pretenders you listed is anywhere near experience and guile of Ighalo.

If I don’t start Ighalo, I will start Kelechi as a false 9.
I see, how many times did he do that in the last game against CV?
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:20 pm

He was the secondary/support striker, mainly there to hold on to the ball and draw other players to join the attack. Play him as the lone striker and he is much better. The other players in camp are not as experienced, strong and smart as Ighalo. But we will see who is right in a few weeks time.
He was actually the main striker and Osimehn was the support striker
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

some nigerians

So if Ighalo never retired he should keep starting for SE because of "experience" and Osimehn should just chop bench.

What kind of retarded thinking is this ?

What on earth has Musa's "experience" done for SE. Make him keep starting too.

Where does this BACKWARD thinking come from ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

If Egu is dumb enough to start Ighalo based on "experience" and "sentiments" then it will show he is not up to the job.

I expect Awoniyi or Sadiq to grab that spot.

Football is a young mans game. Ighalo is not Ronaldo or Messi. Let him just be Covid backup and have a good time on the bench with the likes of Musa.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 am It's all good as long as he comes off the bench at Afcon.
... and shoots the ball into the opponent's goal (net), though in all seriousness, the coaches will decide. For some reason, I think we will do well in this AFCON.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ohenhen1, over to you, Sir!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

He missed 2 sitters against Cape Verde and ran around like a pregnant woman.

This no be Saudi Arabia.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:30 pm He missed 2 sitters against Cape Verde and ran around like a pregnant woman.

This no be Saudi Arabia.
I wonder oh! As if they did not watch the game.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gochino

You can be prolific without being fast. In fact as prolific strikers age, they mainly play in the box and focus on positioning and ball placement.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:43 pm

Gochino

You can be prolific without being fast. In fact as prolific strikers age, they mainly play in the box and focus on positioning and ball placement.
Yeah, I know but in his case he was just bad all round in the last game
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

the least he could have done in his old age and with his "experience" is to score those 2 sitters he missed.

Sorry we no need am. We have much better and fresher options.

It would be one thing if we did not have good options, fine, but we do, we have PLENTY of them.

Only in Nigeria would people campaign for a retiree and known choker who plays in Saudi Arabia when you have one of the hottest young strikers in the bundesliga and another young prospect being courted by some of the top clubs in laliga.

All in the name of "experience"

Are we that afraid of progression ?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:37 pm some nigerians

So if Ighalo never retired he should keep starting for SE because of "experience" and Osimehn should just chop bench.

You are beginning to sound like Ohenhen.

Where did anyone say he should start ahead of Osimhen? In the absence of Osimhen at AFCON, I will start with Ighalo ahead of Sadiq and Awoniyi.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

https://latestnews.ng/al-shabab-to-igha ... challenge/
Al Shabab To Ighalo – We Won’t Release You For Super Eagles AFCON Challenge
January 2, 202

https://i0.wp.com/latestnews.ng/site-up ... 1024&ssl=1

Saudi Arabia outfit Al Shabab says Nigerian forward Odion Ighalo won’t be permitted to join up with the senior national team of Nigeria ahead of their campaign at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.

The club have already informed Ighalo of their decision to hold on to him during the AFCON period using the late arrival of his invitation letter from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as their excuse.

They claimed they didn’t receive his invitation letter within the days stipulated by FIFA for clubs to be notified about their players going away for a tournament with their national team.

Their excuse is similar to the one given by English Premier League side Watford on another Nigerian player in Emmanuel Dennis before the player decided not to honour the call up. Like Dennis, it’s now up to Ighalo to decide if he wants to be at the tournament or not.

We gathered the club who are pushing for the league title as they second on the log are open to the idea of Ighalo leaving if he insist despite the fact that he is their leading top scorer with ten goals in 14 games this season.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Otitokoro wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:13 pm https://latestnews.ng/al-shabab-to-igha ... challenge/
Al Shabab To Ighalo – We Won’t Release You For Super Eagles AFCON Challenge
January 2, 202

https://i0.wp.com/latestnews.ng/site-up ... 1024&ssl=1

Saudi Arabia outfit Al Shabab says Nigerian forward Odion Ighalo won’t be permitted to join up with the senior national team of Nigeria ahead of their campaign at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.

The club have already informed Ighalo of their decision to hold on to him during the AFCON period using the late arrival of his invitation letter from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as their excuse.

They claimed they didn’t receive his invitation letter within the days stipulated by FIFA for clubs to be notified about their players going away for a tournament with their national team.

Their excuse is similar to the one given by English Premier League side Watford on another Nigerian player in Emmanuel Dennis before the player decided not to honour the call up. Like Dennis, it’s now up to Ighalo to decide if he wants to be at the tournament or not.

We gathered the club who are pushing for the league title as they second on the log are open to the idea of Ighalo leaving if he insist despite the fact that he is their leading top scorer with ten goals in 14 games this season.
God please manifest thine will and let this happen
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:47 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:37 pm some nigerians

You are beginning to sound like Ohenhen.

Where did anyone say he should start ahead of Osimhen? In the absence of Osimhen at AFCON, I will start with Ighalo ahead of Sadiq and Awoniyi.
But for what reason should he start ahead of those players ?