What if Eguavoen wins Afcon?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What if Eguavoen wins Afcon?

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:50 pm Egu has said he wanted about 4 or 5 homebased players in the squad, but was constrained by time.

So I wonder which 4 or 5 players would he have replaced, and with who ?

These reasons I am glad Peseiro will be taking over. Quota systems are not an effective way to run your national team.
VE

But it isn't necessarily a quota system. Are you certain that Rohr had the very best Nigerian players? The truthful answer is that he did not. But the truth is that no one does and so I cannot fault Rohr on that. Managers simply select WHO they consider the best. Rohr did that and so should Egu. You and I will not agree on Nigeria's best 28 but it does not mean that we have not made the effort to each select the best. It is simply a difference of opinion on who the best is. It isn't a science and it will never be.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:30 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:50 pm Egu has said he wanted about 4 or 5 homebased players in the squad, but was constrained by time.

These reasons I am glad Peseiro will be taking over. Quota systems are not an effective way to run your national team.
VE

But it isn't necessarily a quota system. Are you certain that Rohr had the very best Nigerian players? The truthful answer is that he did not. But the truth is that no one does and so I cannot fault Rohr on that. Managers simply select WHO they consider the best. Rohr did that and so should Egu. You and I will not agree on Nigeria's best 28 but it does not mean that we have not made the effort to each select the best. It is simply a difference of opinion on who the best is. It isn't a science and it will never be.
Oga, there's no reasonable standard
that can be used to justify selecting 4 players local based players other than sentiment which you very tidyly hide under "difference of opinion".

Why u like to put K -leg enter matters? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

VE

Chosing up to 5 hb players is a defacto quota system, whether they say it outright or not.

We have so many players doing the business in good euro leagues, who cannot get a sniff into a 28 man squad, and you mean to tell me our squad can accommodate 5 hb players based purely on merit ?

I dont think so.

It will be nothing but sentiments, and perhaps business interests.

Anyways I'm hoping Egu just said this to pacify those clamoring for hb players, the way Rohr used to also make excuses.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

It’s a quota system and the Brazilians do it for Copa America etc, difference is they have a very competent league, we don’t…they have a similar and better conveyor belt of talent leaving the country as well, but it’s buttressed by a developed league with multi levels of competitions all the way from their Serie A - Serie D. We don’t! They have a great developmental process that tracks these players as they come through the ranks and hit the Serie A…we don’t. Until we do, is this a process that will likely work out for us consistently…depends, but what’s the point in taking these chances and putting the cart before the horse. Improve your league first then all of this will follow and be easier to clearly identify the local talents that are ready to make the step up and can be taken to an AFCON for experience.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:40 am
mystic wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:30 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:03 am I know it's a long shot due to the fake crisis created by Pinnick but it's a possibility nonetheless. The same set of players that were deemed good enough to win weeks ago are still the ones going to Afcon. Even without Osihmen the SE are still contenders, other teams have won Afcon with much less firepower that we currently have.

Will the Nff actually give the job to a new coach if Eguavoen wins? Will the Nff be able to stand the pressure to keep Eguavoen if he wins? Hmmmm...it's not as unlikely as we might think that SE win with Eguavoen.

I'd even suggest that all he has to do is get to the finals with a markedly improved SE to put Peakmilk in an untenable position.

Pesiero might be the first coach to be hired and to never coach. Siddonlook mode activated.

If what you are saying happens, Peseiro would not be the first to be hired without coaching. To the best of my knowledge that distinction belongs to Carlos Alberto Pereira (the late Brazilian legend) whom we hired after after the 1998 Mundial.

Shaaii..... we don do am before. :lol: Google says it's Carlos Alberto Torres, I don't remember that far back. When did that happen? Kai, so Pinnick used an old trick. No wonder Eguaveon isn't bothered. Pinnick is diabolical. :laugh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Chei, I go die-oo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:43 pm

VE

Oga, there's no reasonable standard
that can be used to justify selecting 4 players local based players other than sentiment which you very tidyly hide under "difference of opinion".

Why u like to put K -leg enter matters? :laugh:
There could be a reasonable reason for it.

When you have late withdrawals or the usual club/country row, you can mitigate that risks by having homebased players on standby to fill in the gap. Keshi used that successfully so can be done.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:55 pm
Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:09 pm
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:34 pm
If Egu wins, he joins Pesiero's team as co-manager or 1st Assistant......Pesiero already has a contract...
I really hope you guys realize going from Technical Director to coach is actually a step down? To now say he will now become the 1st assistant is simply asinine. The technical assistant (Paseiro) and head coach (Salisu) actually answer to the Technical Director (Egu) of the Federation, and I’m sure even if he wins the ANC in his interim role he will not want the headache associated with coaching on a full time basis, talk less of taking such a demotion.
Mace04, you are right but......the way Nigerian football is setup, The technical Director is not that appetizing compared to the assistant. I believe from what heard - (note: this is rumour)..Salisu is getting paid better than Egu even now and so will the incumbent coach and his assistants....

BTW.....The technical director, has no say on the football matters on the pitch but on the general organization of the team.
I don’t know about pay amount, but I know Egu gets his pay on time while the coaches are consistently being owed for months at a time. Would he want that headache?

Also, as TD he has a lot of say on what goes on and the TA/Coach do run their plans and lists through him and he does give his technical input regarding on field matters. The coach is not autonomous or above their employers, it’s still a collaborative effort with the Federation. But there is so much of a headache that comes with coaching from pressure from all sorts of agents to people wanting favors, to answering for poor performances, that as TD he’s isolated from this and can be in the background blameless and with less pressure.

But that said, it would be such a slap in the face to suggest he become an assistant to Paseiro regardless of pay, like come on…
Co-manager then cos he aint influencing anything if Peseiro takes over......He couldnt influence Rohr thus the likes of Amoo, Nwakali, Dennis didn't make the list.

Either that or go and wash Pinnick's car cos he is basically a lame duck
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enyi wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:05 pm
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:55 pm
Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:09 pm
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:34 pm
If Egu wins, he joins Pesiero's team as co-manager or 1st Assistant......Pesiero already has a contract...
I really hope you guys realize going from Technical Director to coach is actually a step down? To now say he will now become the 1st assistant is simply asinine. The technical assistant (Paseiro) and head coach (Salisu) actually answer to the Technical Director (Egu) of the Federation, and I’m sure even if he wins the ANC in his interim role he will not want the headache associated with coaching on a full time basis, talk less of taking such a demotion.
Mace04, you are right but......the way Nigerian football is setup, The technical Director is not that appetizing compared to the assistant. I believe from what heard - (note: this is rumour)..Salisu is getting paid better than Egu even now and so will the incumbent coach and his assistants....

BTW.....The technical director, has no say on the football matters on the pitch but on the general organization of the team.
I don’t know about pay amount, but I know Egu gets his pay on time while the coaches are consistently being owed for months at a time. Would he want that headache?

Also, as TD he has a lot of say on what goes on and the TA/Coach do run their plans and lists through him and he does give his technical input regarding on field matters. The coach is not autonomous or above their employers, it’s still a collaborative effort with the Federation. But there is so much of a headache that comes with coaching from pressure from all sorts of agents to people wanting favors, to answering for poor performances, that as TD he’s isolated from this and can be in the background blameless and with less pressure.

But that said, it would be such a slap in the face to suggest he become an assistant to Paseiro regardless of pay, like come on…
Co-manager then cos he aint influencing anything if Peseiro takes over......He couldnt influence Rohr thus the likes of Amoo, Nwakali, Dennis didn't make the list.

Either that or go and wash Pinnick's car cos he is basically a lame duck
Kai :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I think he's fine with his TD position the way it is, whether he influences anything or not, he's been trying to move more into football administration and move away from coaching so the TD position looks good on his resume.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

If Egu wins the AFCON, he goes home with a fat pay check.. A deal has already been signed with Oyibo coach..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:47 pm It’s a quota system and the Brazilians do it for Copa America etc, difference is they have a very competent league, we don’t…they have a similar and better conveyor belt of talent leaving the country as well, but it’s buttressed by a developed league with multi levels of competitions all the way from their Serie A - Serie D. We don’t! They have a great developmental process that tracks these players as they come through the ranks and hit the Serie A…we don’t. Until we do, is this a process that will likely work out for us consistently…depends, but what’s the point in taking these chances and putting the cart before the horse. Improve your league first then all of this will follow and be easier to clearly identify the local talents that are ready to make the step up and can be taken to an AFCON for experience.
Mace

It is even considerable that there are guys that Egu already believes are good enough to make the SE squad. He has briefly worked with the homebased lads and should know this. However, he has to consider team chemistry and not just talent and skill. Those considerations may have deterred the move.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Purity wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:13 pm If Egu wins the AFCON, he goes home with a fat pay check.. A deal has already been signed with Oyibo coach..
Most importantly he will be the oga of the oyinbo in his role as the Technical Director of the NFF. :clap:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Purity wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:13 pm If Egu wins the AFCON, he goes home with a fat pay check.. A deal has already been signed with Oyibo coach..
Gbam!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:49 pm
Most importantly he will be the oga of the oyinbo in his role as the Technical Director of the NFF. :clap:
Which kin Oga? Why I'm no boss Rohr? Egu go just go back to answer yes sir to Pinnick.
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

If Egu wins Afcon he will establish a “Youths Earnestly Seeking Egu” YES-EGU campaign to secure his role as coach for the World Cup campaign 😀
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

Eguavoen win AFCON you guys must be smoking some really good weed…
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

404 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:49 am Eguavoen win AFCON you guys must be smoking some really good weed…
Since you pretend to know the results, please inform on who wins the AFCON. :wink: :roll: :taunt:
I guess you never reckon why the games are played - to see if minnows can be champs.
Enjoy the matches, and don't fail to come back with apologies if our SE are crowned.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

With the way some of you talk, I wonder if you have ever made big decisions before.

If Eguavoen wins, we thank him very much and he goes. He was always INTERIM! Made clear that he was INTERIM. There were no talks of IF he does this or that, just strictly INTERIM.

Whatever the outcome, we thank him and we move on. We have already made the decision, no need for confusion.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pm
Tbite wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:53 pm The idea that our talent is not better than most African countries is laughable. In terms of performance. Let me show you something interesting.

Do you realise that only Mohammed Salah has more goal contributions than Emmanuel Dennis? Then Osimhen prior to Injury would ordinarily be a top 5 striker in Serie A. Awoniyi is a top 5 striker in the Bundesliga! Terem Moffi is a top 5 striker in Ligue 1. Nigerian strikers do not rank well compared to African strikers, but compared to the ENTIRE world.

So we lost some of these players, but then as you mention we still have capable players like Ejuke, Chukwueze, Aribo etc.

I haven't tabulated our transfer values relative to CIV, Senegal etc. because it seems transfermkt are using the current squad? But even then, I think our squad is much more valuable than it would appear. Onuachu is worth much more (I gather he is injured), Aribo is significantly undervalued, Terem Moffi is significantly undervalued, Awoniyi's value will increase etc.

Kessie, Zaha, Pepe, Haller...that is the strongest collection of players to compare to Nigeria.

but I didn't say we had THE strongest pool, just better than most. Algeria's and Egypt's pool are beneath us. We should be ahead of these sides easily if Rohr had been a reasonable coach.

Algeria have not improved their squad from when we manhandled them three or so years ago (Feghouli, Brahimi are past their prime). The AFCON loss was mostly down to the individual brilliance of Mahrez and the relative poor performance of Ndidi.

Nigeria should be in a position of strength in Africa right now. Our federation have let us down.

I see no reason why Nigeria should not be THE most valued squad in Africa in the next 1-2 years, with some reasonable transfer window actions.
Tbite

No one says that Nigerian talent is not better than some African countries. That is not the point at all. The point however is that you cannot assess African talent by churning out who plays for Top 5 league or whatever given the economic realities. This simply citing stats from Euro league mean diddly. What exactly do those stats mean in terms of contests between the countries in African competition? That is the crux of the matter.
Well that is the point, I was pointing out individual strengths, not saying that we were the favourites.

Talent pool is usually judged by simplistically summing individual ability.

Talent pool is NOT about the sum of the whole being greater than the individual parts, that is not talent pool, that is something else, that is the cultivation of the TEAM.

As far as the individual parts go we have positives. Or do people take issue with me trying to find positives?

Look at the Algerian squad, I called it prior to them dropping two points today. I noticed that they had not improved on their squad, whereas the Nigerian squad is significantly better than it was in the past few years. Apart from the loss of Mikel, how have we not improved? If we extend the years back a bit more, then the loss of Enyeama. Even Emenike I don't think is really a loss, neither would I call Victor Moses really a loss. So I can only think of two positional losses in the past half decade.

We have significantly improved on our squad. Had Rohr been prepared to take more risks, and the NFF willing to provide some semblance of support, I would have considered this tournament firmly within our grasps.

Things just fell apart. The talent we have today (including the injuries and those that were not released) is more than enough to win AFCON. All things being equal.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This is why it made no sense for Pinnick to have been in a hurry to hire. If Eguavoen wins (or is generally successful), what sense would it make for a new coach to implement a new system for our March final WC qualifier. On the flip side, why would you force a new coach to implement Eguavoen's system? Wouldn't he have to rise and fall on his choices?

The time between the end of the Afcon and the next qualifier just didn't work for a new appointment from outside the Nigerian set up. Given the timing challenges, the only coaches that should have replaced Rohr are a.) One of his assistants b.) One of the ex-international coaches like Egu.

The appointment was really bizarre and spoke to ulterior motives. And when one sees that the new hire has a mediocre record in all ramifications, its even more bizarre.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The North Africans to be honest have not been that special in the past 15 or so years. They have simply been more cohesive. I.e. they have been more organised. But as far as their squads go, we have either been neck and neck with them or better than them. We should have won at least two more AFCONS in the past 15 years. Just organisationally poor.

What teams like Egypt benefit from mostly is the team chemistry. Simply the number of games they spend playing together and a local coach who can instil some sort of footballing philosophy that they understand. This is bread and butter football 101.

How can Egypt today beat a Nigerian team with chemistry? I would say almost impossible. We shoot ourselves in the foot with our chopping and changing. They say firing Rohr was chaotic, no Rohr was the chaos. The man did not know his team!

All in all, we make the North Africans look much better than they really are. Rohr was a massive football coward. He was afraid of anyone and everyone. Why? Why should we be afraid of teams in Africa? Why?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:11 pm This is why it made no sense for Pinnick to have been in a hurry to hire. If Eguavoen wins (or is generally successful), what sense would it make for a new coach to implement a new system for our March final WC qualifier. On the flip side, why would you force a new coach to implement Eguavoen's system? Wouldn't he have to rise and fall on his choices?

The time between the end of the Afcon and the next qualifier just didn't work for a new appointment from outside the Nigerian set up. Given the timing challenges, the only coaches that should have replaced Rohr are a.) One of his assistants b.) One of the ex-international coaches like Egu.

The appointment was really bizarre and spoke to ulterior motives. And when one sees that the new hire has a mediocre record in all ramifications, its even more bizarre.
Pinnick is a guy with numerous ulterior motives.

I think Pinnick has found a convenient system and they want to preserve it.

What is the system? It is the convenient outsourcing of Nigerian football! Rely on foreigners for anything and everything. It takes the pressure off the NFF. We simply focus on scouting foreign talent pools.

Hiring local coaches complicates that. They are more likely to rely on local talent and ask questions. A guy like Rohr was very good at scouting every nook and cranny for a player willing to change allegiances.

Rohr made Pinnick's job easier. Eguavoen doesn't make it easier. Then there is the local politics.

I also think they are selling 'hope'. In Nigeria, oyibo is synonymous with hope. It is sexy. From Lagerback's powerpoint to Peseiro's referees, it is sexy. Every Vogts, every Lagerback can be refreshed with a new face, a new beginning.