What if Eguavoen wins Afcon?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
What if Eguavoen wins Afcon?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I know it's a long shot due to the fake crisis created by Pinnick but it's a possibility nonetheless. The same set of players that were deemed good enough to win weeks ago are still the ones going to Afcon. Even without Osihmen the SE are still contenders, other teams have won Afcon with much less firepower that we currently have.

Will the Nff actually give the job to a new coach if Eguavoen wins? Will the Nff be able to stand the pressure to keep Eguavoen if he wins? Hmmmm...it's not as unlikely as we might think that SE win with Eguavoen.

I'd even suggest that all he has to do is get to the finals with a markedly improved SE to put Peakmilk in an untenable position.

Pesiero might be the first coach to be hired and to never coach. Siddonlook mode activated.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: What if Eguavoen wins Afcon?

Post by Tobi17 »

If he wins the AFCON then he stays as coach simple, it will be absolutely daft of the NFF to further waste money on some foreign guy right before the thick of a world cup playoff when the current manager already has the momentum.

For me if Eguavoen gets to the semi-final, then that's success in itself given the circumstance of our shoddy coaching situation... he should stay.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:41 am If he wins the AFCON then he stays as coach simple, it will be absolutely daft of the NFF to further waste money on some foreign guy right before the thick of a world cup playoff when the current manager already has the momentum.

For me if Eguavoen gets to the semi-final, then that's success in itself given the circumstance of our shoddy coaching situation... he should stay.
But they've already hired his replacement. What next? And, what will be the goal for coach Peso?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:48 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:41 am If he wins the AFCON then he stays as coach simple, it will be absolutely daft of the NFF to further waste money on some foreign guy right before the thick of a world cup playoff when the current manager already has the momentum.

But they've already hired his replacement. What next? And, what will be the goal for coach Peso?
Egbon I tire for NFF, they're so clueless that it befuddles me, the goal is simple for Peseiro, qualify for the world cup and get to the round of 16 at the very least... The only good thing is that the Jose Peseiro guy will be close to the coaching staffs and team at the AFCON so he will acquaint himself with the whole structure... but the question remains, will Peseiro stick to the core of these team or build his own team with the process of elimination if the current one doesn't fit into his style of football?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:03 am I know it's a long shot due to the fake crisis created by Pinnick but it's a possibility nonetheless. The same set of players that were deemed good enough to win weeks ago are still the ones going to Afcon. Even without Osihmen the SE are still contenders, other teams have won Afcon with much less firepower that we currently have.

Will the Nff actually give the job to a new coach if Eguavoen wins? Will the Nff be able to stand the pressure to keep Eguavoen if he wins? Hmmmm...it's not as unlikely as we might think that SE win with Eguavoen.

I'd even suggest that all he has to do is get to the finals with a markedly improved SE to put Peakmilk in an untenable position.

Pesiero might be the first coach to be hired and to never coach. Siddonlook mode activated.

If what you are saying happens, Peseiro would not be the first to be hired without coaching. To the best of my knowledge that distinction belongs to Carlos Alberto Pereira (the late Brazilian legend) whom we hired after after the 1998 Mundial.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mystic wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:30 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:03 am I know it's a long shot due to the fake crisis created by Pinnick but it's a possibility nonetheless. The same set of players that were deemed good enough to win weeks ago are still the ones going to Afcon. Even without Osihmen the SE are still contenders, other teams have won Afcon with much less firepower that we currently have.

If what you are saying happens, Peseiro would not be the first to be hired without coaching. To the best of my knowledge that distinction belongs to Carlos Alberto Pereira (the late Brazilian legend) whom we hired after after the 1998 Mundial.

Shaaii..... we don do am before. :lol: Google says it's Carlos Alberto Torres, I don't remember that far back. When did that happen? Kai, so Pinnick used an old trick. No wonder Eguaveon isn't bothered. Pinnick is diabolical. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:40 am
mystic wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:30 am

Shaaii..... we don do am before. :lol: Google says it's Carlos Alberto Torres, I don't remember that far back. When did that happen? Kai, so Pinnick used an old trick. No wonder Eguaveon isn't bothered. Pinnick is diabolical. :laugh:

You're right. It's Torres.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Hiring a new coach, that will not be involved with AFCON shows the thinking process of
NFF management. We can simply imagine how things will look if Eguavoen wins AFCON, and the
new coach fails to qualify the SE for the World Cup. That will surely expose Pinnick and fellow
'stake holders' to ridicule.

Knowing the mentality of some of us, I hope that when things start going well at AFCON, evil minds
don't try to sabotage the team for personal interests.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

joao wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:06 am

Hiring a new coach, that will not be involved with AFCON shows the thinking process of
NFF management. We can simply imagine how things will look if Eguavoen wins AFCON, and the
new coach fails to qualify the SE for the World Cup. That will surely expose Pinnick and fellow

Knowing the mentality of some of us, I hope that when things start going well at AFCON, evil minds
Pinnick and co. will sabotage Eguavoen to make sure he does not succeed. Eguavoen has been at AFCON many times as a player and once as a Manager, so he has tournament experience. Hopefully he can pull a 'Keshi' on them , just not sure he is as mentally strong as the late Keshi.
If he wins AFCON, NFF cannot justify this new Oyibo
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ikemba wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:27 am
joao wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:06 am

Pinnick and co. will sabotage Eguavoen to make sure he does not succeed. Eguavoen has been at AFCON many times as a player and once as a Manager, so he has tournament experience. Hopefully he can pull a 'Keshi' on them , just not sure he is as mentally strong as the late Keshi.
If he wins AFCON, NFF cannot justify this new Oyibo
I'm sorry, this is all conjecture and I don't buy it.
We need more then conspiracy theories to make a convincing case on this.
Moreover', the argument is predicated on the assumption that Eguavon is just plain stupid, which he is not. Same with this 'mentally weak' presumption.

It is quite disrespectful of Eguavon to presume that he is the stupid one here that can't see what you all are seeing so clearly, whilst portraying Pinnick as some kind of evil genius with a master plan.
Really? :rotf:

It just does not add up and "won't stand up in court".
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It is not out of the realm of possibility.

Here are some factors to consider.
1) Nigeria always plays to the strength of the opposition, it is actually against better sides that you see Nigeria's best, NOT against weaker sides. Although we may not necessarily win the encounter, Nigeria ALWAYS packs a punch against competitive sides.
2) This AFCON is a wildcard due to COVID, all the permutations and rules have to be thrown out of the proverbial window.
3) Eguavoen's record is damn good, in fact I said the NFF should hire him, weeks before they did, based on that.
4) Our talent pool is better than most African countries, injuries or no injuries, COVID or no COVID. We have been freezing out in form players like Awoniyi, Moffi, Sadiq, at one point or another. In fact, I am not so sure there is a clear pecking order. So we cannot say for sure that we have suffered. It may very well be that many of the guys in camp are going to end up being better than the guys like Emmanuel Dennis.
5) We do have some experience in the side, so it is not a crazy experiment.
6) Proximity to Cameroon is a massive boost, even the Naija factor will not derail this benefit. We are at a massive advantage here. As we can essentially be isolated and comfortable, before embarking on the short journey.

We know the negatives, but many of the negatives may be offset by the wildcard nature of the tournament.

Do not be surprised if we do win the whole thing.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

He won't QED!
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

If he wins he still has to hand over to Peserio. A deal is a deal.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

They will still give Peserio credit since he will be around the coaching crew observing.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Even if he doesn’t win he is a million times more appropriate to be our coach that Jose Whateverhisface.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

imehjunior wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:39 am They will still give Peserio credit since he will be around the coaching crew observing.
Abeg let me know your preferred cold beer. You sabi dem well well.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

If Egu wins, he joins Pesiero's team as co-manager or 1st Assistant......Pesiero already has a contract...

the other question is if Egu gets smashed in the 1st two games and just about makes it to the second round.....do we strip him of the post and let Pesiero take over early? :???: :???:

we will see.... dont think either will happen
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Emir,

If that happens there will be Katakata everywhere. You and I know that. It is plausible but for Pinnick's sake, it better don't. It is that simple.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

If Peseiro will be there on the bench then he should be coaching, and Egu should be helping the transition already. What is the point of just being there to watch? It makes no sense.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The only thing I can think is that Egu is coach, so if we fail he can get the blame, and the new man steps in.

Otherwise there is no reason to have an interim coach when you've already hired the new coach.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:16 pm Emir,

If that happens there will be Katakata everywhere. You and I know that. It is plausible but for Pinnick's sake, it better don't. It is that simple.
The fact that we haven't heard a word from Peseiro makes me suspicious of the hiring. Is there a quote of him acknowledging his appointment as manager?

When you get a job like like that usually the coach will release a statement of confirmation. Nothing so far. This has arranged written all over it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:21 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:16 pm Emir,

The fact that we haven't heard a word from Peseiro makes me suspicious of the hiring. Is there a quote of him acknowledging his appointment as manager?

When you get a job like like that usually the coach will release a statement of confirmation. Nothing so far. This has arranged written all over it.
Emir

I thought the NFF claimed he will be arriving Nigeria for 'unveiling'.. whatever th a t means? Or maybe, I am wrong on this but I thought I read it somewhere.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

If he gets us to the final or win the tournament, he should lead us to Qatar. The journeyman can assist him if he is already under contract.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.