Nigerian football philosophy according to coach Eguavoen

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

moniker
Egg
Egg
Nigerian football philosophy according to coach Eguavoen

Post by moniker »

Hi all, not sure if this has already been posted on CE but the coach's dissection and analysis of some of the teams and games he played in back in the 90s make an interesting watch. If he brings the clear-mindedness and intelligence exhibited in the video to our games in the AFCON then I think we may be in for a treat. Worth watching right to the end.

BigMuze
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigerian football philosophy according to coach Eguavoen

Post by BigMuze »

Westerhoff 94 to Bonfrere 2000

Rufai; Eguavoen-Nwanu-Okechukwu-Iroha; Oliseh; Okocha-Finidi-Amuneke; Amokachi-Yekini

Normally 4-4-1-1, 4-1-3-2(in set up), or 4-4-2(simplistically) or with at least one effective winger outlet at all times. In the 94’ final, that was only game that Amuneke played. Either Siasia or Adepoju or Oliha played for Amuneke. In the lead up games to the tournament, Jay-jay covered the left wing and Amuneke would come on as sub when opponents are stretched. Amokachi had a free role and was basically an attacking midfield battering ram. In the later years Kanu would slot into the Amokachi role for SE but using more of outrageous skill and technique instead of pace and brute force. An assist king.

When one wing is manned from the starting line-up, normally Finidi, the opposing fullback, Iroha, bombs forward regularly.

Oliseh was the key for this 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-3-2 formation. He had only become a regular at or just before Afcon 94’. Before then, it had to be two holding midfielders – normally a converted defender (Eguavoen, Ezeogu, at times Keshi, etc.) pairing a CM in Oliha, Adepoju or Ekpo. Impressively in Afcon 94 and USA 94 Siasia would also fill in that role but leave a lot of work for Oliseh again. So many a time prior to Jay-jay becoming more matured as a CM/CAM, or when we started cautiously, Oliseh would pair with either Adepoju or Oliha in midfield. Oliseh was that good. Nigeria was most dominant in the mid-90s playing attacking brand of football when we had only one DM Oliseh, playing behind Okocha, Finidi and Amuneke in midfield, then Amokachi and Yekini up front. At their prime, Finidi and Amuneke were midfielders as well as wingers. I wonder if they would be listed as FWDs or MFs in these times. By ATL 96 under Bonfrere, it was normally same template, with Oliseh working really hard for the less matured Jay-jay, then Garba Lawal became loved as a pseudo left CM. Tijani was the main wing outlet in the late 90s.

Oliseh was purely world class, but football was not played with the kind of pace, physicality, and energy at that time as it is now. It was more of flair, technique, and skill. We would find out against top opposition in 94 Afcon and USA that playing him solo as a holding MF had its downside. In retrospect for 98 WC, if we had a more mobile and combative CM player supporting Oliseh, prior to JayJay maturing in early 2000s, we may have done better (due respect to 98 Adepoju).

Westerhoff students (Chukwu, Eguavoen & Keshi)

Fast forward to Keshi coached 2013 team. Lacking in quality of personell but keeping with same broad template.

Enyeama; Ambrose-Omeruo-Oboabona-Echejile; Mikel; Onazi-Mba-Moses; Ideye-Emenike

The original plan was Fengor as DM but didn't work because of both his and Mikel's low mobility. Later Mikel sat back and Onazi was the workhorse. Also, Mba, normally a forward, used as AM due to his fantastic work rate. Like Siasia's use in this role in the past. Moses seemed to be given a free role to attack on any wing of choice.

Eguavoen's 2006 typical team.

4-1-3-2
Enyeama; Odiah-Enakhire-Yobo-Taiwo; Ayila; Mikel-Utaka-Nsofor; Kanu-Martins

Verdict

I think Eguavoen will stick with 4-1-3-2. The pivot remains Ndidi as Oliseh was in the past. Onyeka is a direct replacement for Ndidi.
Eguavoen/Keshi teams wouldn’t mind converting attacking and wing personnel with an excellent work rate to fill in Midfield roles as Westerhoff did with Siasia. Keshi did this with Mba in 2013. I don’t think Egu will bat an eyelid giving Ejuke and or Chuwueze one of these midfield roles. He will use either Aribo or Nwakali as the natural CM support for Ndidi. When he feels very brave, Iwobi.
The problem he has right now is who plays in the hole behind the main striker. Iheanacho, Iwobi, Olayinka, or either of the 9s, Umar and Awoniyi.

Based on the above, here is my interpretation of Eguavoen’s strongest 4-1-3-2 line up on paper is:

Okoye; Aina – Awaziem*” – Ekong – Zanusi; Ndidi; Chukwueze* – Aribo – Ejuke; Iheanacho** - Awoniyi***
Alternates: Simon*, Iwobi**, Umar***, Omeruo*”
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".