REMO STARS - The privately run NPFL club shaking up the domestic scene

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
REMO STARS - The privately run NPFL club shaking up the domestic scene

Post by Sunset »

I'm sure a number of people know about the club and how difficult it is in the country for one to run a private club successfully as they have been through their fair share of trials & tribulations getting relegated in the two NPFL seasons they competed in, but one thing was for sure and it was that they were producing some talented young players regardless of it. Oche Salefu & Victor Mbaoma in particular have been two of the biggest talents in the domestic and continental scene.

so of course bigger NPFL clubs would often lure them away which didn't help their chances of cementing themselves as an NPFL regular. In this they ensured there was a well run youth development system from U10 up to U19 along with their links with Feirense in Portugal.

As you can see from even their youth sides there is a clear understanding of the football philosophy they follow and want to achieve, one thing is for sure I think its just a matter of time till theres one talent that will explode at a major level.

Their U19's won a private league last season that had a number of 2nd & 3rd division senior teams competing in
And I believe a couple of those players were promoted to the first team.

Marcus Abraham & Olisa Ndah for example are two products in recent time that have been called up to the full SE

The main team at the moment have kicked off the current NPFL season with a bang as they currently sit top of the league with only 1 goal conceded in 4 matches with more than half of their starting XI being U21. It goes to show that their owner is truly serious about what he wants to achieve as there have been a number of sides that tried the same thing but couldn't last the test of time. :clap: :clap: :clap:

They even rebranded their U19 team
Last edited by Sunset on Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The privately run NPFL club on the verge of a major shakeup to the domestic scene and the SE - REMO STARS

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:03 pm I'm sure a number of people know about the club and how difficult it is in the country for one to run a private club successfully as they have been through their fair share of trials & tribulations getting relegated in the two NPFL seasons they competed in, but one thing was for sure and it was that they were producing some talented young players regardless of it. Oche Salefu & Victor Mbaoma in particular have been two of the biggest talents in the domestic and continental scene.

so of course bigger NPFL clubs would often lure them away which didn't help their chances of cementing themselves as an NPFL regular. In this they ensured there was a well run youth development system from U10 up to U19 along with their links with Feirense in Portugal.

As you can see from even their youth sides there is a clear understanding of the football philosophy they follow and want to achieve, one thing is for sure I think its just a matter of time till theres one talent that will explode at a major level.

Their U19's won a private league last season that had a number of 2nd & 3rd division senior teams competing in
And I believe a couple of those players were promoted to the first team.

Marcus Abraham & Olisa Ndah for example are two products in recent time that have been called up to the full SE

The main team at the moment have kicked off the current NPFL season with a bang as they currently sit top of the league with only 1 goal conceded in 4 matches with more than half of their starting XI being U21. It goes to show that their owner is truly serious about what he wants to achieve as there have been a number of sides that tried the same thing but couldn't last the test of time. :clap: :clap: :clap:

They even rebranded their U19 team
:clap: :clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The privately run NPFL club on the verge of a major shakeup to the domestic scene and the SE - REMO STARS

Post by Enugu II »

Let me add that what I like most about the Remo is the structure described here and elsewhere linking to promises of private ownership. Further the link it creates for its best graduates to access professional football in Europe. I met a guy recently who has a similar structure with links taking mainly Cameroonian players to Europe. He has a club in Europe and has approval for a club in a league just below the MLS. I met this guy after he spoke at an event with Amaju at Harvard. Interesting guy and very knowledgeable. I believe guys like that and likely this Remo owner may be the future of football in the continent. It is still early stages.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

correct
enough football to watch on their utube page
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Ebenezer Akinsanmiro (17) is the youngest player to get minutes so far in the NPFL
[tweet][/tweet]
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Sadly they will lose most of their talent to overseas clubs. Remo Stars and MFM should be the norm in Nigeria not the outlier,
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:56 pm Sadly they will lose most of their talent to overseas clubs. Remo Stars and MFM should be the norm in Nigeria not the outlier,
Ohenhen1

There are other players coming up and transferring current players should be fine as such transactions help grow the club. There are always numerous talents in Nigeria that replenish the club.

My hope is more clubs like Remo and their success will force the disappearance of state owned clubs that regularly fail to pay labor and serve as instrument of embezzling state funds without any ideas of growing the brand.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Here's a livestream of their match against Plateau UTD
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:56 pm Sadly they will lose most of their talent to overseas clubs. Remo Stars and MFM should be the norm in Nigeria not the outlier,
Well the big difference between them and an MFM is that they actually have a stable structure (youth teams) that can make up for the loss of players going overseas, They've also recruited pretty well with the likes of Dayo Ojo (former CHAN midfielder), Stanley Okorom (Former Enyimba), Emmanuel Daniel (2015 U23 GK), Noah Ojuola (former Midtjylland CB) as experienced options for their squad and at the very least I doubt they'd lose their players to NPFL sides which is the main reason for MFM's decline.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 am
Well the big difference between them and an MFM is that they actually have a stable structure (youth teams) that can make up for the loss of players going overseas, They've also recruited pretty well with the likes of Dayo Ojo (former CHAN midfielder), Stanley Okorom (Former Enyimba), Emmanuel Daniel (2015 U23 GK), Noah Ojuola (former Midtjylland CB) as experienced options for their squad and at the very least I doubt they'd lose their players to NPFL sides which is the main reason for MFM's decline.
Any idea what they are doing for their players that is different?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Is their pitch natural grass?
I am happy
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:55 am
Sunset wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 am
Any idea what they are doing for their players that is different?
It's more of a football organization than MFM's which is more akin to a charity. MFM's biggest product remains Stephen Odey and not one product has come close to the quality he brought. While I don't think Remo are even close to their peak wrt production and yet they are currently top of the league.
As I said earlier they have at least 10 youth products currently in the senior team that have been in this system since they were kids, so going to another NPFL team where the pattern of play is drastically different wouldn't suit them.
But most of all the fact that they broadcast all of their matches on YouTube makes their chances of getting scouted by a foreign team that much higher than it would be playing for another team in the NPFL.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

WANT TO IMPROVE DOMESTIC SOCCER?

Start by privatizing all the clubs and then reduce the number down to about 18 - tell the govs, sorry, it's not about you. After improving the quality, consider subscription TV so people all over the country can watch various clubs.
Bell
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

They maintain their top position in the NPFL with a very tough away win in Bauchi vs Wikki Tourists. Andy Okpe (20) assisted both goals and is only second to Ishaq Rafiu (former Remo player) in goal contributions so far in the League.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:25 pm They maintain their top position in the NPFL with a very tough away win in Bauchi vs Wikki Tourists. Andy Okpe (20) assisted both goals and is only second to Ishaq Rafiu (former Remo player) in goal contributions so far in the League.

Sunset

Which church was Onazi attached? I thought it was MFM or was it another church. I do know that he did not play for the church though.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:08 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:25 pm They maintain their top position in the NPFL with a very tough away win in Bauchi vs Wikki Tourists. Andy Okpe (20) assisted both goals and is only second to Ishaq Rafiu (former Remo player) in goal contributions so far in the League.

Sunset

Which church was Onazi attached? I thought it was MFM or was it another church. I do know that he did not play for the church though.
TB Joshua's (RIP) church, I don't remember the name but I know they helped fund his trip to Italy for trials with Lazio.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Arguably the most experienced player in the league wrt to the continental level Dayo Ojo (played in the Oboabona's SS team as a 17 year old) gets another matchwinner to keep Remo in the top position
[tweet][/tweet]
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 pm Arguably the most experienced player in the league wrt to the continental level Dayo Ojo (played in the Oboabona's SS team as a 17 year old) gets another matchwinner to keep Remo in the top position
[tweet][/tweet]
:clap: :clap:
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Their U19's playing (live) in the TCC league against Dino FC

ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Sunset wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:53 pm
Travelling by air! This is commendable. One of the major reasons for the very few away victories in the league is that away teams travel for long periods on bad roads in rickety uncomfortable mini-buses. They arrive at their destinations not in the best physical and even mental conditions for the match.
I will be keenly watching their away results to see if there is any impact.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

I suppose this was the game they travelled by air to. While not concluding that the result was because of that, it helps to arrive the match venue well rested and in your best physical condition.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:26 pm
I suppose this was the game they travelled by air to. While not concluding that the result was because of that, it helps to arrive the match venue well rested and in your best physical condition.
The effect of tough travel conditions in Nigeria has to be one of factors impacting results plus the quick turnaround between games given the long distance for travel.