We are Witnessing a WATERSHED for the Respect of the AFCON....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
We are Witnessing a WATERSHED for the Respect of the AFCON....

Post by Enugu II »

We may not realize it now but there are things happening in relation to this AFCON that tells me that Africa has finally sat up to fightback against Europe's domination, dictation, and disrespect in reference to Africa's flagship competition -- the AFCON. For years, Africa has been roundly disrespected and its competition demeaned and Africa had always tucked its tail between its legs begging and running for cover to satisfy Europe's quest. Finally, Africa has pushed back. It may not yet be enough but it is an IMPORTANT starting point.

Fortunately, Nigerian players have always been in strong support of representing their club in spite of pressure from their European clubs not to do do. Read Oliseh's biography on this issue and his personal encounter with this. See also the price Mikel Obi paid for representing Nigeria at the Olympics.

A few years ago, I remember Cameroon's European coach calling up a whole set of new players because ,many players in the original list preferred to stay back and play for their European clubs rather than represent Cameroon at an AFCON.

I have noted here how Africa moved its flagship AFCON from a March schedule to January to accommodate Europe and FIFA's calendar. Yet that was not enough. Note that while Africa conceded at that time, Europe refused to reduce its top leagues to 14-16 teams and leaving Winter and summer months free of club soccer in order to accommodate international football. In spite of Europe's recalcitrance, Europe continued to demand that Africa move its flagship competition to the summer to accommodate Europe's needs. Last AFCON (I believe) Africa accommodated those demands in spite of the problems with that schedule for most of Africa.

But it now seems the tide is changing with players who had played for the biggest nations in Europe coming out to speak up against this master-slave relationship that has been constantly demanded Europe. The likes of Patrick Vieira speaking out matters! Now the current players are also speaking out. Hopefully, CAF will understand that this is a moment of watershed. An important one! They should understand how to use this moment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We are Witnessing a WATERSHED for the Respect of the AFCON....

Post by deanotito »

To be perfectly honest, I think more concessions from Africa are coming. Europe holds most of the cards here, and they will continue to press their advantage
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

That is why we need to have leaders who think of their country first not their belly first. Pinnick, is another example of a useless leader who is always looking to promote anything foreign and himself. Could you imagine the buffoonery of a leader to boast of having a season ticket to Arsenal? Every time Pinnick is posting his houseboy work for Infantino in his Instagram or Twitter.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

deanotito wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:32 am To be perfectly honest, I think more concessions from Africa are coming. Europe holds most of the cards here, and they will continue to press their advantage
Yeah, Europe holds most of the Cards as you said, but such is because we let them do it without challenge.

Imagine FIFA and Europe wanting AFCON postponed, and people like Pinnick who should have been the first to raise 'objection' was in support of the postponement
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

I am predicting this will be the most covered AFCON in history. I think all bad press is still press nonetheless. I believe the negative press in Europe was a blessing in disguise
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Odas wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:55 am
deanotito wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:32 am To be perfectly honest, I think more concessions from Africa are coming. Europe holds most of the cards here, and they will continue to press their advantage
Yeah, Europe holds most of the Cards as you said, but such is because we let them do it without challenge.

Imagine FIFA and Europe wanting AFCON postponed, and people like Pinnick who should have been the first to raise 'objection' was in support of the postponement
Europe helps our players develop. Europe is currently indispensable to the development of African football. While the relationship is not entirely one-way, I would say this factor gives Europe a significant advantage in pressing its way.

While I am no Pinnick, I think the Afcon should be moved to the summer - rainy season notwithstanding. I would imagine that Europe might even consider paying for retractable roof installations at African host stadiums than have to deal with losing key players or going on break for Afcon.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

deanotito wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:57 am

Europe helps our players develop. Europe is currently indispensable to the development of African football. While the relationship is not entirely one-way, I would say this factor gives Europe a significant advantage in pressing its way.

While I am no Pinnick, I think the Afcon should be moved to the summer - rainy season notwithstanding. I would imagine that Europe might even consider paying for retractable roof installations at African host stadiums than have to deal with losing key players or going on break for Afcon.
It is not just about the stadiums. It is also about the fans' experience. Will they provide retractable roofs for the streets as well?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

We have more leverage than we think. We have a 52 vote block in FIFA and we should leverage it on issues like this. An example is the biennial world cup proposal.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I don't understand this article. Euro clubs disrespecting the AFCON has been going on for a long time. I remember Wenger and the issues with releasing Kanu for the AFCON from 20 yrs back. The same level of disrespect continues 20 years on. What is happening now is not a "watershed" but a sad reminder that after so many years of Africans complaining about it, the disrespect for the competition remains.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:08 pm I don't understand this article. Euro clubs disrespecting the AFCON has been going on for a long time. I remember Wenger and the issues with releasing Kanu for the AFCON from 20 yrs back. The same level of disrespect continues 20 years on. What is happening now is not a "watershed" but a sad reminder that after so many years of Africans complaining about it, the disrespect for the competition remains.
Without mentioning specifics, I seem to recall that in the past many of our Europe-based African stars refused to feature in AFCON and remained with their clubs.
It seems that era has thankfully passed but part of the disrespect came from there.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:22 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:08 pm I don't understand this article. Euro clubs disrespecting the AFCON has been going on for a long time. I remember Wenger and the issues with releasing Kanu for the AFCON from 20 yrs back. The same level of disrespect continues 20 years on. What is happening now is not a "watershed" but a sad reminder that after so many years of Africans complaining about it, the disrespect for the competition remains.
Without mentioning specifics, I seem to recall that in the past many of our Europe-based African stars refused to feature in AFCON and remained with their clubs.
It seems that era has thankfully passed but part of the disrespect came from there.
:clap: precisely.

I am really elated by this development. It has been a long fight and small wins like this require celebration because it is an indication that our people long blinded by neocolonization are gradually removing the wool from their eyes.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

At what point? For example, going back to 1994, we had all our foreign-based players. Same with the other teams. Yes, occasionally you've had players snub the competition, like Martins in 2004. But I don't believe the percentage of such players has changed over the years.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

The issue has nothing to do with players but the leaders of the national FA and CAF living under colonial reinforced authoritarianism…..

Africa holds the cards (they just don’t know it yet)….European leagues need the AFRICAN players but the FAs don’t need the European leagues….

That’s the reason why the South American FA/leagues are doing so well…
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

highbury wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:46 am That is why we need to have leaders who think of their country first not their belly first. Pinnick, is another example of a useless leader who is always looking to promote anything foreign and himself. Could you imagine the buffoonery of a leader to boast of having a season ticket to Arsenal? Every time Pinnick is posting his houseboy work for Infantino in his Instagram or Twitter.
That’s the problem right there…
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:18 pm
At what point? For example, going back to 1994, we had all our foreign-based players. Same with the other teams. Yes, occasionally you've had players snub the competition, like Martins in 2004. But I don't believe the percentage of such players has changed over the years.
It wasn’t only about Nigerian players. African players elsewhere were undermining the value of AFCON by not showing up.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Exactly! I remember those days and incidents as well. African players OPENLY saying they want to remain with their clubs, instead. Looking back at those days now, I wonder if they were PAID to take such position(s) :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

We demand respect from others but hardly show the same respect to ourselves. Why on earth is the NPFL going on in parallel with AFCON? If AFCON is as important as we want the world to believe, why is Nigeria giving it the cold shoulder by continuing with its league during the tournament? NPFL matchday 5 games are going on as I type. Footbal fans and sports journalists in Nigeria will have to choose which competition to follow! Is that not a disrespect to AFCON?
South Africa did not qualify for AFCON but suspended their league for the duration of AFCON. Now that is respect.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

ukwala wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:26 pm We demand respect from others but hardly show the same respect to ourselves. Why on earth is the NPFL going on in parallel with AFCON? If AFCON is as important as we want the world to believe, why is Nigeria giving it the cold shoulder by continuing with its league during the tournament? NPFL matchday 5 games are going on as I type. Footbal fans and sports journalists in Nigeria will have to choose which competition to follow! Is that not a disrespect to AFCON?
South Africa did not qualify for AFCON but suspended their league for the duration of AFCON. Now that is respect.
That says it all
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:05 am

It is not just about the stadiums. It is also about the fans' experience. Will they provide retractable roofs for the streets as well?
In Europe, people go watch games in the freezing cold. So Streets? Na their (fans) own shelenge be dat.

But I think this stadium issue is fixable…if people are willing to come together and be creative, this issue can be solved. Afcon cannot continue to be the outlier tournament and expect that there would be no effect on its players within these clubs.

Think of it from an employment standpoint. If a certain worker was allowed an additional paid month off on top of the vacation everybody receives, that worker would have to be exceptional. If he/she is not exceptional, his employment opportunities would be negatively affected. Are African players - on the whole - exceptional? Are their talents that unique compared to other peers?

I think the Afcon date harms our players in Europe on a comparative basis. Age cheating has the same effect. It brings their value, opportunities and respect down.

Napoli paid 60m for a player. Said player gets injured playing for them and is out for a month. As soon as he’s fit to play, he wants to go for another month in Africa. All the while, Napoli is struggling in the league cause it’s star player is out. And you think Napoli would be fine with Afcon?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

deanotito wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:31 pm

In Europe, people go watch games in the freezing cold. So Streets? Na their (fans) own shelenge be dat.

But I think this stadium issue is fixable…if people are willing to come together and be creative, this issue can be solved. Afcon cannot continue to be the outlier tournament and expect that there would be no effect on its players within these clubs.

Think of it from an employment standpoint. If a certain worker was allowed an additional paid month off on top of the vacation everybody receives, that worker would have to be exceptional. If he/she is not exceptional, his employment opportunities would be negatively affected. Are African players - on the whole - exceptional? Are their talents that unique compared to other peers?

I think the Afcon date harms our players in Europe on a comparative basis. Age cheating has the same effect. It brings their value, opportunities and respect down.

Napoli paid 60m for a player. Said player gets injured playing for them and is out for a month. As soon as he’s fit to play, he wants to go for another month in Africa. All the while, Napoli is struggling in the league cause it’s star player is out. And you think Napoli would be fine with Afcon?
In Europe they watch games in the cold. However, they never play tournaments in the cold. They play their major tournaments in the summer. Even the European club competitions pause in the coldest winter months. And the issue is not just about timing. The European clubs association tried to get AFCON cancelled based on spurious COVID-19 claims.

The solution is not always asking Africa to move without Europe moving an inch. Black players from all countries (even Europe) are calling them out on their one sided approach. The solution is a harmonised calendar that recognises the peculiarity of the AFCON timing. If Napoli in your example appreciates Osimhen, they should respect the AFCON and look for a solution.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Kpom.

I dont know why we have to be so stubborn.

Afcon is the ONLY major tournament that takes place during the European domestic season, and we cry "racism" but it's simply that we are disrupting club seasons when NOBODY ELSE IS.

How anybody thinks this will help African players in Europe is beyond belief. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and thinking we are the "big man"

Typical African arrogance and ignorance.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:09 pm

Kpom.

Afcon is the ONLY major tournament that takes place during the European domestic season, and we cry "racism" but it's simply that we are disrupting club seasons when NOBODY ELSE IS.

How anybody thinks this will help African players in Europe is beyond belief. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and thinking we are the "big man"

Only one party has been "arrogant and ignorant". It is the party that has not moved an inch and keeps demanding and threatening. African football is not just about African players in Europe. Enough with the blackmail.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:26 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:09 pm

Kpom.

Only one party has been "arrogant and ignorant". It is the party that has not moved an inch and keeps demanding and threatening. African football is not just about African players in Europe. Enough with the blackmail.
They’re demanding and threatening because they have the upper hand, and a fair amount of the logic of the situation on their side. It’s not racism. It’s just power.

The Afcon is an outlier. It doesn’t have much viewership beyond Africa and even in Africa, due to poverty, the viewership is not that great. So commercially, the Afcon has no muscle compared to the European football powers. So on what basis do we fight? The people who suffer are our players