THE CONONDRUM THAT IS IHEANACHO

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
THE CONONDRUM THAT IS IHEANACHO

Post by vancity eagle »

I have said that it was Rohr's insistence to stick with Nacho in a 2 man attack and ignore the 433 which had worked so well previously was what lead to his sack.

Iheanacho is a headache for managers and it is the same thing at Leicester.

For a team that has so many wide forwards it was hard to fit Nacho into a starting 11.

On Egu's first try out he got it right and Nacho paid him back with a beautiful finish.

I think it was a hybrid of 442 and 433 we played today with Nacho dropping back but not necessarily being a playmaker.

Nacho's strengths are his finishing ability. BY FAR the best in the SE. He is also very intelligent and has very good vision. These are all great attributes for a playmaker, but the reason he cannot be a playmaker are his weaknesses.

1) Poor Touch - people can claim he doesn't have a poor touch, but he does. There was a chance in the second half where he couldn't control a simple ball. The ball got ahead of him and he couldn't get off a good shot on goal where he was clean in. Had he controlled that ball and not displayed a heavy touch, he for sure would have scored his second.

2) Lack of Forward drive- His poor touch means he cannot run at defenders like Iwobi, Aribo, Chukwueze, Simon, Ejuke. Because of this when he drops back its pretty much one touch football, release and move. This can work, but its not the typical drive you get from an attacking midfielder.

Nacho needs to study his role and perfect it, and he can be deadly for Nigeria, especially when partnering Osimehn.

Egu got the team to attack and defend in numbers and we were not missing that midfield control that we lacked when Rohr played a 442.

Let us hope that Nacho continues to solidify his position under Egu.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: THE CONONDRUM THAT IS IHEANACHO

Post by YUJAM »

Dude you need to stop. There’s a reason why Nacho is in the EPL and doing really well there.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

YUJAM wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm Dude you need to stop. There’s a reason why Nacho is in the EPL and doing really well there.
and what about what I said stops him from doing well there ?

You need to understand that even Egu said "Iheanacho is confused" as to his role.

Rohr knew it
Rodgers knows it
Egu knows it

Credit to Egu for seeming to figure out how best to utilize Nacho and having our team play well regardless of the 442 formation.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

VE is right,

Nacho is a supremely talented player, probably the most talented and naturally gifted player in the team. But he offers the same conundrum as JJ Okocha did in his time that its not farfetched to see him as a luxury type of player... But I trust Egu to solve this "problem" cause it's a good one to have.

I liked the Nacho/Awoniyi combo as well, it will be interesting to see how it blossoms if we progress in the tournament
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

he held up play very well today, linked up with Awoniyi well too
a few heavy touches and passes and am sure he knows this and will sort it out next game
once he settles down to his role he will be a handful due to his eye for goal and pass
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

You know him and Awoniyi comes a long way....U17..u21 et al
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

That was a pure 4-4-2.

And we played with two banks of four with the front two putting occasional pressure on the ball, joined tactically by Aribo every now and again. It wasn’t full press, but it was designed to get the ball sent to the wide areas where both Simon and Chukwueze partnered the full backs well.

Simon in particular will be one of the first names on the team sheet. He makes the formation possible with his workload. He was both a winger and wing-back today. Amazing energy.

It was also the wingers that made it possible for Aribo to get so close to Nacho. Of course, that’s a bit easier when you have the brick wall that is Ndidi behind you.

Was also good to see when Nwakali came on for Nacho, we went to 4-5-1 with Nwakali, not Aribo as the first outlet.

Altogether, if Chukwueze could step up, and Zaidu could add a bit more offensive output (although I wonder if he was under instructions not to), this team could be the perfect 4-4-2 for the modern game.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

4420,4439,4441,4440,453, 4444444whatever, damn stupids. Just play the gademball, and you fatasseess watch the gademball game.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Iheanacho actually played below his normal potential today. So I wouldn't rate him based on this match.

If he played according to his true ability, he would have had two goals and two assists.

He knows how to pick a pass, he was not at his best today. He was off it. But you wouldn't know because his no backlift left foot precision is so good, that even on a bad day, it almost never misses.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

he is by far our best finisher. That is not even in dispute. He is also one of our smarter players with great vision.

His touch is what lets him down sometimes. Would have had 2 goals today if not for that heavy touch.

I think it is worth playing Nacho, in perhaps a 442 ?

I can understand why Rohr tried desperately to make it work , but he failed in the end.

Egu made it so easy today.
kaysalaw
Egg
Egg

Post by kaysalaw »

Just keep Egu as our permanent coach Shikena