Time to move on

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Time to move on

Post by Ugbowo »

Gents,

We won the game and got the three points but the reality is we haven't done anything other than put together a great 45 mins performance that we haven't seen in years (well the SLeone game had a great first half too).

We need to stop patting ourselves on the back and move on.

Sudan will be very tough and Guinea Bissau even harder. Now is not the time to rest on our laurels. Coach Egu already posted his celebration on IG. I would hope he too is not getting carried away.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Time to move on

Post by vancity eagle »

45 minutes ?

Come on. This match was dominant from start to finish, other than perhaps the last 10 minutes.

I have not seen us dominate an opponent of this quality for a long time. We manhandled them. Finishing and final decisions need to improve though.

On to the next match.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:28 pm 45 minutes ?

Come on. This match was dominant from start to finish, other than perhaps the last 10 minutes.

I have not seen us dominate an opponent of this quality for a long time. We manhandled them. Finishing and final decisions need to improve though.

On to the next match.
45 mins we hardly put a foot wrong and completely dominated. In the second half we gave up possession too easily with harried clearances and invited pressure. Egypt's formation and personnel changes threated us for a minute but not so much. The second half was not as crisp as the first. Great victory regardless but we need to shut it down and move on.

We didn't come to afcon just to beat Egypt.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:24 pm Gents,

We won the game and got the three points but the reality is we haven't done anything other than put together a great 45 mins performance that we haven't seen in years (well the SLeone game had a great first half too).

Sudan will be very tough and Guinea Bissau even harder. Now is not the time to rest on our laurels. Coach Egu already posted his celebration on IG. I would hope he too is not getting carried away.
Abeg relax... We as fans are in high spirits over a well earned victory because WE ARE FANS and its what we do. That doesn't mean we over the moon about anything just yet, I believe the players and coaching staffs are professionals and know enough that the battle is far from been won as they gear up for the next challenge... we've been shite for so long that any silver-lining at this point is a much needed break for us
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:32 pm

Abeg relax... We as fans are in high spirits over a well earned victory because WE ARE FANS and its what we do. That doesn't mean we over the moon about anything just yet, I believe the players and coaching staffs are professionals and know enough that the battle is far from been won as they gear up for the next challenge
Sorry, it's coming from my coaching mind set. I've seen over celebrations derail teams. We need to act like this is business as usual.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Ok..so should we all start practicing free-kicks at home abi what do you suggest as we move on?
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:35 pm

Abeg relax... We as fans are in high spirits over a well earned victory because WE ARE FANS and its what we do. That doesn't mean we over the moon about anything just yet, I believe the players and coaching staffs are professionals and know enough that the battle is far from been won as they gear up for the next challenge
Sorry, it's coming from my coaching mind set. I've seen over celebrations derail teams. We need to act like this is business as usual.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:31 pm

On to the next match.
45 mins we hardly put a foot wrong and completely dominated. In the second half we gave up possession too easily with harried clearances and invited pressure. Egypt's formation and personnel changes threated us for a minute but not so much. The second half was not as crisp as the first. Great victory regardless but we need to shut it down and move on.

I agree with the bolded, but it wasn't the entire 2nd half. More like the last 15 minutes.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 pm Ok..so should we all start practicing free-kicks at home abi what do you suggest as we move on?

LOL No. Let's move on to Sudan.

How should we line up? How are we shutting them down and attacking them?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Not the bunch of carpenters, bricklayers, plumbers, pure water sellers and night soil men that played today...

But I get your overall point though...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm
nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 pm Ok..so should we all start practicing free-kicks at home abi what do you suggest as we move on?

LOL No. Let's move on to Sudan.

How should we line up? How are we shutting them down and attacking them?
I think we should have a zoom session to discuss the next games ahead... Meanwhile where's Enugu II when you need him? He usually organizes these zoom sessions.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

:rotf: :rotf: ooh la la
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

txj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:41 pm

Not the bunch of carpenters, bricklayers, plumbers, pure water sellers and night soil men that played today...

Seems like we are forgetting CAR and Madagascar already.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

:rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Are you sure you watched the same game?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

joao wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:51 pm
txj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:41 pm

Seems like we are forgetting CAR and Madagascar already.

I forgot to add panel beaters and fuckinizers :rotf: :rotf:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Us? fans? or you mean the players? Because whatever we (fans) do. Whether we move on or we refuse to move on and continue to twerk from now till 2066, it will have ZERO EFFECT ON HOW THE TEAM PERFORMS! ZERO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Often wonder why people do not like fans to enjoy anything, when it has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the team's performance. So, we should move on? when are we to enjoy our team? Are we supposed to continue to postpone excitement and happiness?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:35 pm Sorry, it's coming from my coaching mind set. I've seen over celebrations derail teams. We need to act like this is business as usual.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

On to the next match.

The 2hf was expected as we would not be expected to keep the same intensity, but could've and should've managed the game more efficiently.

Lots of opportunities with better control to have severely punished Egypt...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

sabb wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm

:rotf: :rotf: ooh la la
:rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 pm

Us? fans? or you mean the players? Because whatever we (fans) do. Whether we move on or we refuse to move on and continue to twerk from now till 2066, it will have ZERO EFFECT ON HOW THE TEAM PERFORMS! ZERO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Often wonder why people do not like fans to enjoy anything, when it has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the team's performance. So, we should move on? when are we to enjoy our team? Are we supposed to continue to postpone excitement and happiness?
You forget the social media world that we are in today. Guys will be glued to their timelines reading all the endless praises they will be getting. Like i said i already saw Coachie posting a celebratory video on IG. Our excitement transmits to them definitely.

We just need to act like we have been here before and this is nothing new to us. Move on to the next game. Saturday soon come.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

txj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:04 pm

On to the next match.

The 2hf was expected as we would not be expected to keep the same intensity, but could've and should've managed the game more efficiently.

A second goal would have killed them off and may have led to a third or fourth.

But the first half was job well done albeit helped by a cagey clueless at times, Egyptian team.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 pm
danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 pm

You forget the social media world that we are in today. Guys will be glued to their timelines reading all the endless praises they will be getting. Like i said i already saw Coachie posting a celebratory video on IG. Our excitement transmits to them definitely.

We just need to act like we have been here before and this is nothing new to us. Move on to the next game. Saturday soon come.

Your point is well taken...Glad Egu spoke about taking things game by game...No sense in an early euphoria...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 pm
txj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:04 pm

On to the next match.

A second goal would have killed them off and may have led to a third or fourth.

But the first half was job well done albeit helped by a cagey clueless at times, Egyptian team.
Ugbowo

It was not that Egypt was clueless. The reality is that they were outfoxed. In my view,. after watching Nigeria, Egypt did have a good plan but were definitely surprised. I believe with Salah's pace centrally against two central defenders that are challenged by pace, Egypt had a plan and it required getting the ball to Salah to run against the slow-footed central defenders. IT DID NOT WORK. It didn't work simply because not only did Nigerian attackers harass Egypt's back four preventing them from launching balls for Salah to run onto but also cut off the passing lanes by challenging every ball in the middle. Bottomline, Egypt had a plan but they were outfoxed.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics