CAF Bans Teslim Balogun Stadium

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
CAF Bans Teslim Balogun Stadium

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF Bans Teslim Balogun Stadium

Post by vancity eagle »

GOOD.

We need home field advantage.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Regarding home field advantage.

Let me say this.

What gives home field advantage more than anything else (more than the fans, camaraderie, hospitality etc.) is the FAMILIARITY with the venue and environment. Not just familiarity with the city, but familiarity with the pitch.

You cannot criticise a stadium for not delivering the true value of home advantage, if the stadium is in reality just newly broken into (in recent times). What made Surulere, Rades, and other stadiums in Africa dangerous was this CONTINUITY. People mentioned the atmosphere, i.e. fans threatening players, North African ultras etc. That is all well and good, but continuity is the real gem.

THIS is our issue. It doesn't matter where you go, whether it is Abuja or Uyo or Benin of PHC or Ibadan or Enugu or Warri. If you do not build that continuity over many years, you will not get the true value of home advantage.

So wherever we go, just be prepared to STAY there. And don't give me excuses about how we have to switch because we just go to the state where the government will support the team. If that is the case, then that is an inherent weakness in Nigeria's footballing structure! No we cannot go where governor A or governor B wants us to go. If they want to support the team, perhaps we can pool resources.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:07 am Regarding home field advantage.

Let me say this.

What gives home field advantage more than anything else (more than the fans, camaraderie, hospitality etc.) is the FAMILIARITY with the venue and environment. Not just familiarity with the city, but familiarity with the pitch.

You cannot criticise a stadium for not delivering the true value of home advantage, if the stadium is in reality just newly broken into (in recent times). What made Surulere, Rades, and other stadiums in Africa dangerous was this CONTINUITY. People mentioned the atmosphere, i.e. fans threatening players, North African ultras etc. That is all well and good, but continuity is the real gem.

THIS is our issue. It doesn't matter where you go, whether it is Abuja or Uyo or Benin of PHC or Ibadan or Enugu or Warri. If you do not build that continuity over many years, you will not get the true value of home advantage.

So wherever we go, just be prepared to STAY there. And don't give me excuses about how we have to switch because we just go to the state where the government will support the team. If that is the case, then that is an inherent weakness in Nigeria's footballing structure! No we cannot go where governor A or governor B wants us to go. If they want to support the team, perhaps we can pool resources.
They never plan,they’ve had ample time to try and build a new home since Surelere was neglected but they’ve just been gypsys in their own land.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

How come Cameroun get better stadium?
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

How come Cameroun get better stadium?
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Let me say this.

Im not totally sure that continuity counts as much as that feeling of being amongst your own fans.
It’s probably a combination of both but if your own stadium is somehow filled with hostile fans, I suspect that ‘continuity’ will count for zilch.

:idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

There was someone here telling us that the stadium wasn’t bad and was up to standards when it was quite clear watching from afar that it wasn’t…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

imehjunior wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:19 pm How come Cameroun get better stadium?
They built all of those stadium for the AFCON and right now I wouldn't praise them until about a year or so after the AFCON when we can go back and evaluate the state of those stadium
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I was called all sorts of names when I said even namas should not be subjected to play soccer in such shait infested arena. We have several world class stadiums in Rivers state. Akwa Ibom also has a beautiful stadium. The top 4 stadiums in Nigeria are:

1. The great Liberation stadium in Port Harcourt
2. The World Class new Port Harcourt Stadium that Amaechi built
3. Uyo stadium
4. The National stadium, Abuja

Last: Any stadium in Lagos
Lower than Last : Ibadan stadium.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Good. Let them come back to Uyo.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 am

And they blame ROhr and SE for playing poorly at home in this atrocious field. Horrible!

The only way you can avoid the horrble bumps on the pitch is to hit long balls.

Sports Ministry insisted on playing home matches in Lagos becuase the Sports Minister trying to make his God father, BAT, look good. Campaign Strategy.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Let me say this.

Im not totally sure that continuity counts as much as that feeling of being amongst your own fans.
It’s probably a combination of both but if your own stadium is somehow filled with hostile fans, I suspect that ‘continuity’ will count for zilch.

Yes of course. But I emphasise continuity for many reasons, athletes more than anything love patterns.

In fact some athletes would probably prefer a hostile and predictable situation than a positive but unpredictable situation.

Look at Djokovic, the guy thrives when the crowd are against him, because he has learned to harness their negative energy into his routine. Obviously, not everyone can do that, Naomi Osaka definitely can't. But the point is, predictability in sports is so crucial. In fact, one might argue that apart from playing two gruelling matches before the final in the US Open, that the other factor that tilted against him was that the crowd actually SUPPORTED him.

Nadal cannot serve a ball without employing a superstitious pattern. Cristiano Ronaldo cannot enter or leave a pitch without his superstitious Portuguese belief (albeit one that is common throughout Portugal).

The point is, even the crowd's support has to be familiar. The crowd in Lagos are not the same as the crowd in Uyo or in Abuja. Everything should be routine as soon as they come from the airport to the hotel to the dressing room, to training etc.

I agree with you, being with the fans is crucial, but I do not think it is enough. They need an established home. Moving around the country is detrimental.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

chief nfachairman wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:02 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 am

And they blame ROhr and SE for playing poorly at home in this atrocious field. Horrible!

The only way you can avoid the horrble bumps on the pitch is to hit long balls.

Sports Ministry insisted on playing home matches in Lagos becuase the Sports Minister trying to make his God father, BAT, look good. Campaign Strategy.
Man stop it, his team also played in Cameroon on a beautiful pitch and was the same dross, that was the day VE lost his patience :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

A lot of Nigerians are confused with a playing surface vs a stadium.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:29 am
Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Let me say this.

Yes of course. But I emphasise continuity for many reasons, athletes more than anything love patterns.

In fact some athletes would probably prefer a hostile and predictable situation than a positive but unpredictable situation.

Look at Djokovic, the guy thrives when the crowd are against him, because he has learned to harness their negative energy into his routine. Obviously, not everyone can do that, Naomi Osaka definitely can't. But the point is, predictability in sports is so crucial. In fact, one might argue that apart from playing two gruelling matches before the final in the US Open, that the other factor that tilted against him was that the crowd actually SUPPORTED him.

Nadal cannot serve a ball without employing a superstitious pattern. Cristiano Ronaldo cannot enter or leave a pitch without his superstitious Portuguese belief (albeit one that is common throughout Portugal).

The point is, even the crowd's support has to be familiar. The crowd in Lagos are not the same as the crowd in Uyo or in Abuja. Everything should be routine as soon as they come from the airport to the hotel to the dressing room, to training etc.

I agree with you, being with the fans is crucial, but I do not think it is enough. They need an established home. Moving around the country is detrimental.
Good point but humans like habit. Athletes are only human.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

All of those shouting Uyo stadium. You clearly haven't been there recently. The pitch is awful now, a complete eyesore. Most still think the pitch is as good as when SE played there. You'll be in for a nasty surprise.
No Escape
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

That stadium needs to be nuked.