Class of 2013

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

imehjunior
Egg
Egg
Class of 2013

Post by imehjunior »

Why does the 2013 team hardly get anything near the fame and glory the 1980 and 1994 set get.

They never get mentioned when great teams of the past are mentioned.

Apart from Mikel and Enyeama no other member of that squad has anything near legendary status. We tend to forget the team won the Nations cup.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
BigMuze
Egg
Egg
Re: Class of 2013

Post by BigMuze »

imehjunior wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:27 pm Why does the 2013 team hardly get anything near the fame and glory the 1980 and 1994 set get.

Apart from Mikel and Enyeama no other member of that squad has anything near legendary status. We tend to forget the team won the Nations cup.
It is a good question especially since that 2013 SE team achieved same as the 1994 team, i.e. WC qualification, Afcon win and second round of WC. It was however quite glaring the lack of depth and quality in the 2013 squad. Plus it didnt help that the team did not consolidate their success missing qualification for subsequent Afcons.
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

imehjunior wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:27 pm Why does the 2013 team hardly get anything near the fame and glory the 1980 and 1994 set get.

Because NFF and some fans were unhappy with the victory! The AFCON win spoilt things for the NFF rogues
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

The team was greater than the sum of its parts. It didn't have as much individual quality as 94.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Much respect to the big boss, but it can be argued that he kept three of the best Nigerian players at the time (Martins, Osaze, Ike Uche) off the team to the Nations Cup, with only Osaze making a return to the World Cup team. Kalu Uche (our best player in the 2010 World Cup) also chose to stay off the team due to the problems his brother was having with Keshi.

Brown Ideye missed the World Cup as well, if I remember.

As someone said, the team was greater than the sum of its parts due to the Keshi effect, but you just wonder what may have happened, if better parts (players) were integrated.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

It's a really valid question.
It's not like Westerhof was an uncontroversial coach either.
As for talent, a team that had:

Mikel
Enyeama
Vic Mo

All who could stake a claim to the best Naija 22 of all time, as well as:
Onazi
Musa
Omeruo

Who have all gone on to have relatively successful careers, it should get more respect.

It's worth remembering, that was not a loved team and it wasn't until beating the VE-sponsored Ivoriens that Nigerians took notice.

Maybe respect will come with time.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.