Nigeria vs Sudan 3-1 full time

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs Sudan Live! 3-1

Post by green4life »

1naija wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm I would start Sadiq in the next game so we can know if we should close that chapter for good. So far, i would not take any of our strikers in this tournament to the WC if we qualify.

We need to go and beg Dennis to see what he can do in GWG.
Uncle, abeg noooo. We never win group and Guinea B is arguably stiffer opposition than Sudan.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

oloye wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:26 pm
elerineye wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:21 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:47 pm My observation so far....

Okoye is a basket in the making.
:rotf:

I agree
I have never been comfortable with that guy in goal for us.
There is something about him that I cant quite place my hand on.
The only problem though, how come he keeps getting the nod to start ahead of other players.
Perhaps he is not so bad. Only time will tell.
It is his keeping and ball handling style. It just look off,kind of clumsy. He just does not have that swag which good keepers are known for.
That swag you are referring to is called confidence. It shows he lacks confidence in himself.
I just checked his age and he is only 22 years old. He is a pup for a goal keeper. He has the body and build of what you want in a goalie. As he gains experience, the confidence (and swag) will come.

Nigeria should continue to invest in him. Way too early to give up on Maduka in my opinion.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

elerineye wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:21 pm
ANC wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:47 pm My observation so far....

Okoye is a basket in the making.
:rotf:

I agree
I have never been comfortable with that guy in goal for us.
He always looks like he's feeling pressure ... somewhat jittery for no reason. Hard to explain.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs Sudan 3-1 full time

Post by green4life »

Flex Swift wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:49 pm I am not a coach so someone needs to explain to me why Chukuwneze plays on the right when he is left footed and Simon plays on the left who is right footed???
So they can cut into their stronger foot to score or assist. The role is not a traditional winger but more like an attacking midfielder from wide. Both have contributed with goals and and assists so far.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:53 pm
green4life wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:45 pm
gochino wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:48 pm
Synopsis wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm Nwakali is not playing well.
What did you see him do wrong?
Nwakali has been good, he hasn't put a foot wrong, he is playing from a deep position and keeping it simple.
My assessment as well. He played to instructions. Will like to see more of him versus Guinea B.
Egu thinks he did well also and we can expect more from him with more pt under his belt

I've been impressed with Eguavoen's press conferences. He provides an insight to the reasoning behind his personnel and tactical decisions.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

kawawa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 pm Awesome. Missed the game. Was on a flight to Nigeria, first since COVID and what joy on arrival in Lagos to find out we won
Order in inflight wifi next time and watch. I watched the first game on a Delta flight from Paris. I was surprised the wifi was strong enough since its satelite but it was good and I gladly killed 2 hrs on a 10hrs flight.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:04 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm I would start Sadiq in the next game so we can know if we should close that chapter for good. So far, i would not take any of our strikers in this tournament to the WC if we qualify.

Uncle, abeg noooo. We never win group and Guinea B is arguably stiffer opposition than Sudan.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs Sudan Live! 2-0 (Chukwueze, Awoniyi)

Post by ohsee »

100%Naija wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:02 pm
Kabalega wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:00 pm Who even scored the 2nd goal?
I don't think the players know either.
Awoniyi. Deflected off his head and changed direction so he gets credit for it.
Chief, you think say the Useless Ugandan does not know? The correct answer for him is Dennis Onyango the Useless Ugandan goalkeeper scored it from his bedroom in South Africa. :lol:
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Egu: "People say we are the favourites so we claim it!"
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

We have won our group
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

icee wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:44 am Egu: "People say we are the favourites so we claim it!"
My coach. I love the way he said that at the post game conference

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Robbynice wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:57 am

We have won our group
He said that we have qualified. But we haven't won our group yet based on the [presumably correct] rules I saw posted on this forum. :D
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

olu wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm Don't understand the Nwakali criticism. He looked good to me. Calm on the ball and helped maintain possession. Don't recall him misplacing passes or giving the ball away.

Sadiq could have done better with the 10 minutes he got. With more time tho he may have settled down better.
watch him when he is not in possession. Watch how lazily he jogs back to get in good defensive positioning.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I still have my doubts. I worry about squad depth. I wish we got Dessers and Amoo. They are far better options than Onyekweru and Umar. Also i am not sold on Okoye.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Okonkwo (at Arsenal) should be drafted in asap, so we know we have a pool of 3 decent young keepers who would compete for years to come.

Okoye fluffed a cross today, but he had an excellent save against Salah.

I can certainly understand why many have doubts about him.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 am

We have won our group
He said that we have qualified. But we haven't won our group yet based on the [presumably correct] rules I saw posted on this forum. :D
G4L,

Nigeria has won the group even if we lose 0-10 and Egypt wins their next game 20-0. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head and we beat Egypt and Egypt cannot overtake our 6 points.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:35 am

We have won our group
G4L,

Nigeria has won the group even if we lose 0-10 and Egypt wins their next game 20-0. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head and we beat Egypt and Egypt cannot overtake our 6 points.
That is what I thought hence the reason why I said we have already won our group.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robbynice wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:35 am

We have won our group
G4L,

That is what I thought hence the reason why I said we have already won our group.
Robbynice

On second thought G4L maybe be correct that we should verify this ooo. I am merely citing a rule that may have changed with some amendments announced just before finals started. Best to check as I am relying on some info that may not be currently accurate.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

ANC wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:30 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 pm
Synopsis wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:26 pm Awoniyi is a good backup striker.
We have to make do with him as the less said about Sadiq the better…

Awoniyi is a competent striker, simple and short. If you have a Romareo in your kitchen, please bring him out.
Couldn’t agree more. He’s competent and does his job. No one is saying he’s Aguero, but he’s doing a decent job. And if you don’t think he’s a handful for the defense, you’re not watching closely.

Also, you guys tend to analyze a game like everything/every pass/every cross must go right. I saw 2 things that were concerning in that game and that was it. Zaidu had a tackle in the box where he just kinda threw his legs at the box with his back to the attacker…that kinda defending should be stamped out of his head. It’s the box. Also, Maduka muffed a save in a weird fashion. That was about it. Every other thing was par for the course
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 pm
Tbite wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm Honestly, I think Sudan offered tougher opposition than Egypt did. Good win❗️

Cheers.
I disagree.

We did not defend anywhere near as well against Sudan as we did against Egypt. At Egypt that was probably the best defending I remember seeing from Nigeria in many many many years. Whereas against Sudan, at time it was almost as if we even dared them to do their worst. We made many schoolboy errors against Sudan but were not punished, so we did not have any incentive to tighten up our game.

We didn't press in the same manner, we were not as precise.

Sudan had more opportunities, largely because we took them less seriously.

In short we made Egypt look bad and made Sudan look good.
Sudan matched up athletically with us better than Egypt. Defensively, the things we were able to do with Egypt, we weren’t able to do with Sudan because of the improved speed and athleticism we faced.
Offensively, we had about the same chances except that we got some fortuitous goals which we didn’t get against Egypt. Notice, in particular, that Simon wasn’t able to have his way, like he did in the previous game against Egypt❗️

Cheers.
Thanks TTTKiller for a clear-headed appraisal of the match.
Like I said previously, winning is enough for many herein as they miss the
important aspects of the matchup.
When we encounter a well-coordinated and focused team, that will be a real test
for players and the coach.
Again thanks.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Some of the questions asked in that presser were amateurish and bush league, especially the Nwakali one. Kudos to Coach Egu for not taking the bait.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 am Some of the questions asked in that presser were amateurish and bush league, especially the Nwakali one. Kudos to Coach Egu for not taking the bait.
He’s been very smart in his responses, not taking them personally or getting defensive but rather taking some of those rather bush questions in stride. Seems our reporters like to ask ‘shocking’ questions.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:50 am
Ugbowo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 am Some of the questions asked in that presser were amateurish and bush league, especially the Nwakali one. Kudos to Coach Egu for not taking the bait.
He’s been very smart in his responses, not taking them personally or getting defensive but rather taking some of those rather bush questions in stride. Seems our reporters like to ask ‘shocking’ questions.
TBH, I do not blame any of those reporters. The reality is that they have to cater to the audience and the $$$. You do so by seeking sensation and controversy.