SE haven't scored 2 goals in 1st H since 92

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
SE haven't scored 2 goals in 1st H since 92

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

In Afcon games.. Heard that on Bein sports commentary. Is it true?

Though the 2nd goal was fortuitous the team deserved more than 2 goals on the balance of play at that point. Yet people still complain.

This game was very tough.

Sudan played a physical game with a lot of heart and effort. I think all the players did well, Ekong had a couple shaky moments, Simon was industrious but the crosses are a problem. Awoniyi, contrary to popular opinion had another good game as the front man. He lead the line well and created a couple chances. He deserves credit for his hold up play that led to Simon's goal.

All in all. They're way ahead of where anybody thought they would be. I'm happy they haven't peaked yet, teams don't play their best game at this stage. In 2013. We were ordering calculators from Amazon at this stage then we started to play better in the 3rd game.

If this team improves even 1 notch we'll be in the semis, any team that makes the semis van win it all.

Guinea Bissau is another tough one as we have to win the group.
OCCUPY NFF!!
proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg
Re: SE haven't scored 2 goals in 1st H since 92

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm In Afcon games.. Heard that on Bein sports commentary. Is it true?

Though the 2nd goal was fortuitous the team deserved more than 2 goals on the balance of play at that point. Yet people still complain.

Sudan played a physical game with a lot of heart and effort. I think all the players did well, Ekong had a couple shaky moments, Simon was industrious but the crosses are a problem. Awoniyi, contrary to popular opinion had another good game as the front man. He lead the line well and created a couple chances. He deserves credit for his hold up play that led to Simon's goal.

All in all. They're way ahead of where anybody thought they would be. I'm happy they haven't peaked yet, teams don't play their best game at this stage. In 2013. We were ordering calculators from Amazon at this stage then we started to play better in the 3rd game.

If this team improves even 1 notch we'll be in the semis, any team that makes the semis van win it all.

We scored 3 goals in 1H against Mali in 2013.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Check this out.

"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

They said in group stages of the ANC…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:43 pm They said in group stages of the ANC…
Makes sense. Still quite a feat for this team.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

On balance of day this game should have ended 5-1 if we had an Osimhen leading the lines, but Awoniyi did quite well.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

proclaimjesus02 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:38 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm In Afcon games.. Heard that on Bein sports commentary. Is it true?

We scored 3 goals in 1H against Mali in 2013.
I think they meant in a group game
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

joao wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:43 pm Check this out.

Rohr never recovered from this game. Also, I feel Okoye somehow still has horrific flashbacks from this game which explains his otherwise inexplicable jitters on occasion.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

green4life wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:00 am

Rohr never recovered from this game. Also, I feel Okoye somehow still has horrific flashbacks from this game which explains his otherwise inexplicable jitters on occasion.
Definitely the beginning of the end for Rohr in my books. His game management was piss poor.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 pm On balance of day this game should have ended 5-1 if we had an Osimhen leading the lines, but Awoniyi did quite well.
Osimehn misses a lot of chances too so not too sure about that.

He isn't that clinical to be honest but he makes up with his workrate, strength, speed, and intelligence.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

in retrospect Sierra Leone has gone on to tie both Ivory Coast and Algeria. They are not as bad as we made them out to be.

I'm glad we have Egu, who looks to be a boss, but from the results of this tournament Rohr is not as bad as many people are making him out to be.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Some of Rohr’s results were head scratchers at the time, but Cape Verde and Sierra Leone have gone on the show they are very good teams. Cape V might be the best coached side in this tournament.

But ultimately it was the nature of the display since that second half agains SL that did the man in. It started a tailspin that he clearly had no clue how to get out of.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:53 pm

in retrospect Sierra Leone has gone on to tie both Ivory Coast and Algeria. They are not as bad as we made them out to be.

I'm glad we have Egu, who looks to be a boss, but from the results of this tournament Rohr is not as bad as many people are making him out to be.
You want start another fight? Rohr is poor while the other managers are top notch including Belmadi, their favourite local coach.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:19 pm

You want start another fight? Rohr is poor while the other managers are top notch including Belmadi, their favourite local coach.
I saw how they could not answer your legitimate question regarding Belmadi by the way.

Some people just want to hate Rohr despite as you pointed out him being our best coach in terms of win percentages.

I will not forget the destruction of Cameroon and Algeria courtesy of Rohr, or the victory over Argentina the draw against Brazil (even though friendlies yet when Rohr lose a friendly suddenly they are no longer friendlies)

I thank Rohr for his time, but he needed to go in the end.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:00 pm Some of Rohr’s results were head scratchers at the time, but Cape Verde and Sierra Leone have gone on the show they are very good teams. Cape V might be the best coached side in this tournament.

But ultimately it was the nature of the display since that second half agains SL that did the man in. It started a tailspin that he clearly had no clue how to get out of.
Bros, Sierra Leone has. Ot done anything to put them up there. Look the 4-4 was in NIGERIA. That I s a huge difference. Sierra Leone or any other team can be difficult when home but that result in Nigeria was and remains a major downer.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 pm

I saw how they could not answer your legitimate question regarding Belmadi by the way.

Some people just want to hate Rohr despite as you pointed out him being our best coach in terms of win percentages.

I will not forget the destruction of Cameroon and Algeria courtesy of Rohr, or the victory over Argentina the draw against Brazil (even though friendlies yet when Rohr lose a friendly suddenly they are no longer friendlies)

I thank Rohr for his time, but he needed to go in the end.
I answered his question…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

After what we have seen, anyone that underrates SL, CV or EqG does so at their own peril.
Maybe it’s the improved pitches, maybe it’s simply the stage but some of the performances of these so-called minnows has been outstanding.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:34 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:00 pm Some of Rohr’s results were head scratchers at the time, but Cape Verde and Sierra Leone have gone on the show they are very good teams. Cape V might be the best coached side in this tournament.

Bros, Sierra Leone has. Ot done anything to put them up there. Look the 4-4 was in NIGERIA. That I s a huge difference. Sierra Leone or any other team can be difficult when home but that result in Nigeria was and remains a major downer.
Hmmmmm. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rohr was poor towards the rnd. I didn't have an issue with him when he lost at home to South Africa because the team was playing well. Even after Madagascar, I saw it as a blip. But we saw some poor performances even in some ANCQ (apart from the Sierra Leone game).

In the WCQ we started very well. I was impressed with us away to Cape Verde. But in the last 3 games his team was poor and he didn't try to change anything at all. At least Belmadi will certainly shake things up against Ivory Coast.