Awoniyi vs. Osimhen - Statistical Review

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Awoniyi vs. Osimhen - Statistical Review

Post by Otitokoro »

I have read some several comments here on CE about Awoniyi not being 'it', with regards his ongoing performance. Someone even referred to him as 'sluggish', which is laughable.
Out of curiosity, decided to do a comparison of his stats versus Osimhen over their respective 1st 3 games.

OSIMHEN
1. Tunisia (2019 AFCON) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (0 Shots on goal)
2. Ukraine (2019 Friendly) - played 90 mins - 1 goal (pen), 0 assists
3. Benin (2021 AFCONq) - played 90 mins - 1 goal (pen), 0 assists
225 total mins played in first 3 games. 2 goals, 0 assists.

AWONIYI
1. Cape Verde (2022 WCQ) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (blocked goal bound shot on goal)
2. Egypt (2021 AFCON) - played 72 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists, (1 header hit post)
3. Sudan (2021 AFCON) - played 83 mins - 1 goal, 1 assist, (1 shot hit post)
200 total mins played in first 3 games. 1 goal, 1 assist.

No doubt, Osimhen has since developed into a 'Super Striker' for Nigeria.
However, it is important to note that Awoniyi is most certainly not too far behind. He brings a different context to the strike force and has been playing extremely well for the SE.
To state the Awoniyi is not 'it' is rather disingenuous, to say the least.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Awoniyi vs. Osimhen - Statistical Review

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:25 pm I have read some several comments here on CE about Awoniyi not being 'it', with regards his ongoing performance. Someone even referred to him as 'sluggish', which is laughable.
Out of curiosity, decided to do a comparison of his stats versus Osimhen over their respective 1st 3 games.

OSIMHEN

AWONIYI
1. Cape Verde (2022 WCQ) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (blocked goal bound shot on goal)
2. Egypt (2021 AFCON) - played 72 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists, (1 header hit post)

However, it is important to note that Awoniyi is most certainly not too far behind. He brings a different context to the strike force and has been playing extremely well for the SE.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

The stats don’t say anything. We have all watched the first 2 matches and the guy is just average. Nowhere near the quality we need at this level.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Of course, they won't mean anything to you, since they don't buttress your baseless argument.
To the rest of the football world, particularly those who matter, they do - that's why football stats exist in the first place. Also wonder which 'quality level' did you have previously, that is not being met?
To quote the words of one industry leader I know: an argument without data is absolute bullshit!
Lolly wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 pm The stats don’t say anything. We have all watched the first 2 matches and the guy is just average. Nowhere near the quality we need at this level.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Problem is his finishing is agric, Osimhen wasn’t getting the same amount of chances. Taiwo’s movement is really really good, his hold up play is really really good, his finishing has been poor.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

this is a strange thread...are they both not Nigerians?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Otitokoro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:25 pm I have read some several comments here on CE about Awoniyi not being 'it', with regards his ongoing performance. Someone even referred to him as 'sluggish', which is laughable.

OSIMHEN

AWONIYI

U get time to waste to show that a fool is wrong. I don't even know if he knows the meaning of sluggish.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Can we ban the likes of Lolly from commenting on football related matters? can someone tell that guy to just stick to politics and kissing Buhari's arse? :twisted:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I agree with Otitokoro. Some of you must be expecting him to be Osimhen. He is not. He is different and a legitimate ball playing striker. In my view, he is a far better option than others we have seen besides Osimhen.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Awoniyi is an okay squad player for NIeria. He has good movement and he is strong. But questions remain about his speed and fimishing. Osimhen is a one man show. He hustles, he holds the ball up,and he is clinical.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Lolly wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 pm The stats don’t say anything. We have all watched the first 2 matches and the guy is just average. Nowhere near the quality we need at this level.
Who else is better that should be playing ahead of him?
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Agents
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

If we're going to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of Osimhen compared to Awoniyi, Awoniyi has better movements than Osimhen and is more well rounded as a ball playing striker... but nobody is ready for that conversation yet.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

why do we always do things like this? Awoniyi is just representing his country and so far has done an amazing job. He deserves every opportunity he has had and he works well with Kelechi,both him and Moses are very with their backs against the goal or opponent. its good we have all these players its a blessing.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

OSIMHEN

AWONIYI

Onku, I’m not with those criticizing Awoniyi, but respect your age.

Delete this
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 pm I agree with Otitokoro. Some of you must be expecting him to be Osimhen. He is not. He is different and a legitimate ball playing striker. In my view, he is a far better option than others we have seen besides Osimhen.
I agree. While he lacks Osimhen's quality, he fits the teams pattern of play and complements the players around him.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

It's not fair to compare any Nigerian striker to Osimhen, he's simply an anomaly.

It's more like Onuachu vs Awoniyi vs Moffi vs Sadiq, they all have their particular strengths and there isn't much that separates them
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Sunset wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm It's not fair to compare any Nigerian striker to Osimhen, he's simply an anomaly.

It's more like Onuachu vs Awoniyi vs Moffi vs Sadiq, they all have their particular strengths and there isn't much that separates them
Kpom.

Osimhen, Iheanacho are levels above, but Awoniyi is a really good player in his own right.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Nigerians na wa!!!!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Sunset wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm It's not fair to compare any Nigerian striker to Osimhen, he's simply an anomaly.

Kpom! :clap: :clap:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Awoniyi is okay. Just has to be more clinical in front of goal. But there is no comparison. Tnere is a reason why Osimhen is valued at over 70 MP by clubs.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Osimhen is a better finisher and all around striker than Awoniyi, however, Osimhen misses his fair share of chances too. Iheanacho is the best finisher we have. He's not as mobile as the other strikers tho.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olu wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:00 am Osimhen is a better finisher and all around striker than Awoniyi, however, Osimhen misses his fair share of chances too. Iheanacho is the best finisher we have. He's not as mobile as the other strikers tho.
Olu,

In my view, Osimhen is definitely ahead of Awoniyi. Iheanacho competes for another spot and not directly with Awoniyi. Awoniyi is in competition with likes of Onuachu, Ighalo, etc. Awoniyi, in my view, is better than his competitors. This guy is not just a bull but a ball-playing guy. If you watch closely, see his sharp combinations with several other players. I thumbs up Awoniyi. He is the guy!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics