Awoniyi vs. Osimhen - Statistical Review

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Olayemi14
Egg
Egg
Re: Awoniyi vs. Osimhen - Statistical Review

Post by Olayemi14 »

The things Awoniyi does well are miles ahead of Osihmen. He can play back to goal and hold up play better than any striker of late. However, his finishing is not there yet. Just watch Simon’s goal again. Osihmen is much better overall. Osihmen is more of a poacher. He 100% belongs in the team. Below Osihmen and maybe behind Dennis but ahead of Sadiq.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Olayemi14 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:25 am The things Awoniyi does well are miles ahead of Osihmen. He can play back to goal and hold up play better than any striker of late. However, his finishing is not there yet. Just watch Simon’s goal again. Osihmen is much better overall. Osihmen is more of a poacher. He 100% belongs in the team. Below Osihmen and maybe behind Dennis but ahead of Sadiq.
Behind WHO? Which Dennis. Bros, we dey discuss Super Eagles and not club football.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Otitokoro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:46 pm Of course, they won't mean anything to you, since they don't buttress your baseless argument.
To the rest of the football world, particularly those who matter, they do - that's why football stats exist in the first place. Also wonder which 'quality level' did you have previously, that is not being met?
To quote the words of one industry leader I know: an argument without data is absolute bullshit!
Lolly wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 pm The stats don’t say anything. We have all watched the first 2 matches and the guy is just average. Nowhere near the quality we need at this level.
Damn, easy Mr. Otitokoro! You sound very upset because your idea wasn't agreed to, or accepted
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Chief, I said maybe. The discussion is Awoniyi vs. Osihmen. The bottomline is that Awoniyi belongs in the team.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

Unfair comparison in my opinion!!!!!!!!
Osihmen is untouchable!!!!!!!!!!!!
The boy can play...
he is hungry
he can head
He reads the game
He is spectacular
also entertaining
he hustles
He dribbles
his defensive effort is not bad.

For me, a neutral......He is by far the best Nigerian forward right now.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

This is why I believe Osimhen missing this AFCON is a blessing, as we can now
check on other options to back him up. To be honest, the current set of forwards
are still figuring each other out. With no friendly to get them ready for this AFCON,
anyone thinking the team should be hitting on all cylinders is not being realistic.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

joao wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 am This is why I believe Osimhen missing this AFCON is a blessing, as we can now
check on other options to back him up. To be honest, the current set of forwards
are still figuring each other out. With no friendly to get them ready for this AFCON,
anyone thinking the team should be hitting on all cylinders is not being realistic.
I think this statement will certainly be on point if Naija wins the cup.

For me, Ohsimen is like Messi or Ronaldo or Mbappe to the eagles.
If Naija wins without him...Then his presence will be a huge windfall for the eagles.

For me, other forwards are ok and interchangeable without much effect.

I think as a football lover and an self-professed objective observer, after Ohsimen is Ighalo and then Dennis.

By the ways...I am from the Cameroons.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:22 am
olu wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:00 am Osimhen is a better finisher and all around striker than Awoniyi, however, Osimhen misses his fair share of chances too. Iheanacho is the best finisher we have. He's not as mobile as the other strikers tho.
Olu,

In my view, Osimhen is definitely ahead of Awoniyi. Iheanacho competes for another spot and not directly with Awoniyi. Awoniyi is in competition with likes of Onuachu, Ighalo, etc. Awoniyi, in my view, is better than his competitors. This guy is not just a bull but a ball-playing guy. If you watch closely, see his sharp combinations with several other players. I thumbs up Awoniyi. He is the guy!
Kpom.
Awoniyi is also on an upward trajectory even at club level so how anyone can start downplaying his value is a mystery.
Osimhen misses chances too, both for the SE and Napoli.
We are blessed to have them both, plus more.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

joao wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 am This is why I believe Osimhen missing this AFCON is a blessing, as we can now
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Are we ever realistic in this place?
That would be an unrealistic expectation.

The boys have done great so far.

If people are not happy, they should go and buy a groundnut stall and set it up in the opponents’ half every time we play!
Nonsense! :clap:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nigeria is blessed to have Awoniyi too
This thread na wa o.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Fact: In every one of the three games that Awoniyi has started, he has hit the upright or post. No Nigerian striker in history has ever done that.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

ANC wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:59 am Nigeria is blessed to have Awoniyi too
This thread na wa o.
Hear, hear.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

nzeogwu wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:55 pm Fact: In every one of the three games that Awoniyi has started, he has hit the upright or post. No Nigerian striker in history has ever done that.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 am
nzeogwu wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:55 pm Fact: In every one of the three games that Awoniyi has started, he has hit the upright or post. No Nigerian striker in history has ever done that.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Chai!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotf: so how many hit the post do we have compared to the opposition? Abeg who is keeping stats? Help!!!!!!!
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Awoniyi may become better than Osimhen in the future, who knows. Who knows what the future holds.

I certainly would never have predicted that either Osimhen and Awoniyi would have turned their careers as well as they did.

BUT if the argument is based on the present day, then Osimhen is a class or two above Awoniyi. This argument is only useful as a WHAT IF scenario. Based on today, Osimhen is untouchable.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Otitokoro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:25 pm I have read some several comments here on CE about Awoniyi not being 'it', with regards his ongoing performance. Someone even referred to him as 'sluggish', which is laughable.
Out of curiosity, decided to do a comparison of his stats versus Osimhen over their respective 1st 3 games.

OSIMHEN
1. Tunisia (2019 AFCON) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (0 Shots on goal)
2. Ukraine (2019 Friendly) - played 90 mins - 1 goal (pen), 0 assists
3. Benin (2021 AFCONq) - played 90 mins - 1 goal (pen), 0 assists
225 total mins played in first 3 games. 2 goals, 0 assists.

AWONIYI
1. Cape Verde (2022 WCQ) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (blocked goal bound shot on goal)
2. Egypt (2021 AFCON) - played 72 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists, (1 header hit post)
3. Sudan (2021 AFCON) - played 83 mins - 1 goal, 1 assist, (1 shot hit post)
200 total mins played in first 3 games. 1 goal, 1 assist.

No doubt, Osimhen has since developed into a 'Super Striker' for Nigeria.
However, it is important to note that Awoniyi is most certainly not too far behind. He brings a different context to the strike force and has been playing extremely well for the SE.
To state the Awoniyi is not 'it' is rather disingenuous, to say the least.
Chief you missed one stat .. Awoniyis Bundesliga record this season is like 9 goals in 16 games while Osimhen in Serie A is 5 in 11 . Awoniyi actually has a better score rate at least in their respective leagues :mrgreen:

Having said that comparisons can be odious and its near impossible to be able to compare like for like since so many other factors come into play .

Long and short of it is that I agree with your premise that Osimhen is only marginally better if he can be considered better at all and has had the advantage of being in the SE for a while
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:56 am
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Are we ever realistic in this place?
That would be an unrealistic expectation.

The boys have done great so far.

If people are not happy, they should go and buy a groundnut stall and set it up in the opponents’ half every time we play!
Nonsense! :clap:
Was waithcing some old Super Eagles clips yesterday and was simply amazed at some of the sitters that the great Yekini Missed . I am talking simple tap ins and one on one chances

I say that to say that I wonder why people have such unrealistic expectations of players in general and strikers in particular when no striker, even the legends have anything close to a perfect record
:?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Yekini mighy have missed chances but he had a right footed shot like no other. I also think he was stronger and way more technically gifted than Osimhen, never mind Awoniyi.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I expect Osimhen's efficiency to increase. He is performing below his ability IMO.

When that happens (not guaranteed) then we can begin to understand if he can unseat Yekini.

For now, I think that should be his focus. He wastes too many opportunities. What saves Osimhen is that he creates a plethora of opportunities. When you create so many chances, not just for yourself, but also for your team, it tends not to matter too much. But for him to reach his true potential, he has to tighten up.

I think it is within his ability to surpass Yekini. I don't think he should lose sight of that goal.

It may be the start stop start stop start of his career that is reducing his efficiency.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Celebrity
Egg
Egg

Post by Celebrity »

Phew! CyberEagles!
Anyone underrating Awoniyi needs to get their heads checked ASAP! That guy is as talented as they come. Look at his body movement, his off & on the ball positioning, his ability to beat his man in the box, his vision to pick up open team mate, that guy a complete and prolific striker! All he needs is one game to score like 2-3 goals and his spirit will be reborn. Have we forgotten Awoniyi during his U-17 days? Kai! He’s also under a lot of pressure to perform knowing the SE Fans are already in bed with Osimehen. You don’t get to play top flight German football if you are an average striker.
I am die hard Onuachu fan but I wouldn’t be stupid enough to think Onuachu should start ahead of Awoniyi in the SE line up.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

airwolex wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm Yekini mighy have missed chances but he had a right footed shot like no other. I also think he was stronger and way more technically gifted than Osimhen, never mind Awoniyi.

Agreed on his right foot but he wasn't clinical.

Personally I believe the best all round striker we have ever had was Victor Ikpeba . He was clinical, packed a lethal shot, technically gifted very cerebral and rarely missed sitters .
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

My brother,
Been quite a while and welcome back...
I think this thread somewhat took a left turn...my intent was not to do a 'like-for-like' comparison between Osimhen and Awoniyi. The intent was to demonstrate that Awoniyi's current performance, which some had stated was not 'it', 'too sluggish' or 'inefficient', was statistically better than what was being falsely peddled by the same folks.

Clearly, the closest player we currently have to becoming a world class super striker is Victor Osimhen. I tried to review his first three games as a Super Eagle and compare that with Awoniyi's current performance. The point being Awoniyi is actually doing very well and is on track to becoming a very good striker for the SE, when you review all the key elements: speed, holdup play, box presence and a host of other things. Again, he is NOT Osimhen and may end up not being as good as Osimhen, BUT he is certainly not far behind.
BAP wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:32 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:25 pm I have read some several comments here on CE about Awoniyi not being 'it', with regards his ongoing performance. Someone even referred to him as 'sluggish', which is laughable.
Out of curiosity, decided to do a comparison of his stats versus Osimhen over their respective 1st 3 games.

OSIMHEN
1. Tunisia (2019 AFCON) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (0 Shots on goal)
2. Ukraine (2019 Friendly) - played 90 mins - 1 goal (pen), 0 assists
3. Benin (2021 AFCONq) - played 90 mins - 1 goal (pen), 0 assists
225 total mins played in first 3 games. 2 goals, 0 assists.

AWONIYI
1. Cape Verde (2022 WCQ) - played 45 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists (blocked goal bound shot on goal)
2. Egypt (2021 AFCON) - played 72 mins - 0 goals, 0 assists, (1 header hit post)
3. Sudan (2021 AFCON) - played 83 mins - 1 goal, 1 assist, (1 shot hit post)
200 total mins played in first 3 games. 1 goal, 1 assist.

No doubt, Osimhen has since developed into a 'Super Striker' for Nigeria.
However, it is important to note that Awoniyi is most certainly not too far behind. He brings a different context to the strike force and has been playing extremely well for the SE.
To state the Awoniyi is not 'it' is rather disingenuous, to say the least.
Chief you missed one stat .. Awoniyis Bundesliga record this season is like 9 goals in 16 games while Osimhen in Serie A is 5 in 11 . Awoniyi actually has a better score rate at least in their respective leagues :mrgreen:

Having said that comparisons can be odious and its near impossible to be able to compare like for like since so many other factors come into play .

Long and short of it is that I agree with your premise that Osimhen is only marginally better if he can be considered better at all and has had the advantage of being in the SE for a while
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

BAP wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm
airwolex wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm Yekini mighy have missed chances but he had a right footed shot like no other. I also think he was stronger and way more technically gifted than Osimhen, never mind Awoniyi.

Agreed on his right foot but he wasn't clinical.

Personally I believe the best all round striker we have ever had was Victor Ikpeba . He was clinical, packed a lethal shot, technically gifted very cerebral and rarely missed sitters .
Agreed