Will EGU empty Bench? ... Uzoho, Ebuehi, & Ndah ... Get ready!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Will EGU empty Bench? ... Uzoho, Ebuehi, & Ndah ... Get ready!

Post by Lolly »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:24 pm
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:19 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:53 pm according to both Owngoal and ScoreNigeria we will lineup like this

GK: UZOHO
RB: EBUEHI
CB: TROOST
CB: AJAYI
LB: COLLINS
CM: NDIDI
CM: NWAKALI
LW: EJUKE
RW: IWOBI
ST: IHEANACHO
ST: OLAYINKA

My thoughts are that Ndidi should definately be rested, he is our only irreplaceable player. Why on earth would you not give Onyeka a run. If we are going to sit Awoniyi, then Sadiq should be getting the start.
Is Olayinka not on the team abi he’s dead firewood? Why can’t he get a chance? Sadiq has had two…
Sadiq has had two 10 minute cameos at the end of the match when the team tactics had changed.

I wouldn't consider that "a chance" to be honest, you cant really tell anything from that.

Sadiq should be starting with Olayinka getting a 10 minute cameo. Olayinka is here simply because of many withdrawls, Sadiq is a legit option who we are not fully accessing. Not a smart move.
And you believe Sadiq is a better player than Olayinka? Do you really watch football matches or its just about the names you read on social media?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:31 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:53 pm according to both Owngoal and ScoreNigeria we will lineup like this

My thoughts are that Ndidi should definately be rested, he is our only irreplaceable player. Why on earth would you not give Onyeka a run. If we are going to sit Awoniyi, then Sadiq should be getting the start.
Is Olayinka not on the team abi he’s dead firewood? Why can’t he get a chance? Sadiq has had two…
Sadiq has had two 10 minute cameos at the end of the match when the team tactics had changed.

Sadiq should be starting with Olayinka getting a 10 minute cameo. Olayinka is here simply because of many withdrawls, Sadiq is a legit option who we are not fully accessing. Not a smart move.
Are you in camp? Have you seen what the two are doing? Were your eyes closed when Sadiq came on twice? Do you think he did enough to justify more PT, and I don’t mean scoring, I mean hold up play, ball possession, linking with teammates, presence in the box, providing a threat etc? Do you think at this point we can count on Sadiq if Awoniyi goes down? Are we just hoping that with more time it would somehow click? Does a coach have the time to wait and hope in a tournament situation or does he need to get on with trying to find the players that are ready to give him what he wants (or at least a semblance of it). Or he should just go with who YOU like regardless of how they are playing? Mind you I was as much a Sadiq fan as you, but one must deal with reality…the drop off between Awoniyi and him has been gargantuan, and Taiwo himself is really only a back up striker in the grand scheme of things.
you cannot write a player off after two 10 minute cameos when the team started to sit back. If you believe that Sadiq COULD be a legit option, he should be starting the match, and that would be lights out if he failed to take that chance. Olayinka is just here to make up the numbers. He has NO CHANCE of going to Qatar.

Didn't Sadiq set up a break that Ejuke effed up against Egypt ?
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Lolly wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:32 pm

I wouldn't consider that "a chance" to be honest, you cant really tell anything from that.

And you believe Sadiq is a better player than Olayinka? Do you really watch football matches or its just about the names you read on social media?
I honestly don't understand vancity eagle most times. Is he trying to say that Olayinka is not good to be tried out? What did Sadiq do with the two chances he was given? Playing against instructions.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 pm
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:31 pm

Are you in camp? Have you seen what the two are doing? Were your eyes closed when Sadiq came on twice? Do you think he did enough to justify more PT, and I don’t mean scoring, I mean hold up play, ball possession, linking with teammates, presence in the box, providing a threat etc? Do you think at this point we can count on Sadiq if Awoniyi goes down? Are we just hoping that with more time it would somehow click? Does a coach have the time to wait and hope in a tournament situation or does he need to get on with trying to find the players that are ready to give him what he wants (or at least a semblance of it). Or he should just go with who YOU like regardless of how they are playing? Mind you I was as much a Sadiq fan as you, but one must deal with reality…the drop off between Awoniyi and him has been gargantuan, and Taiwo himself is really only a back up striker in the grand scheme of things.
you cannot write a player off after two 10 minute cameos when the team started to sit back. If you believe that Sadiq COULD be a legit option, he should be starting the match, and that would be lights out if he failed to take that chance. Olayinka is just here to make up the numbers. He has NO CHANCE of going to Qatar.

Didn't Sadiq set up a break that Ejuke effed up against Egypt ?
Why does Olayinka have zero chance? I don’t get how your brain works, so if the guy comes on and has a blinder of a game does what the coach asks, scores etc there is still zero chance? Buddy you sound like you live in a FIFA game, this is not how real life works. In real life you take your opportunities or you risk other willing participants snatching your place…ATEODD whoever starts I will support, but you need to stop being so rigid and acting like this is a video game when it’s real life and if Olayinka is showing the coach more of what he needs then he’s entitled to give him a chance. If Sadiq had been doing the damn thing and impressing and then suddenly he’s dropped then I might understand your argument, but he’s not, he’s not shown enough in his two cameos IMO to where someone else can’t be given a chance. Nwakali had the same short cameos and he’s shown more promise and now is rewarded with a start, so I’m more certain the coaching crew is not biased and is doing what they feel is best for the team, not for VE…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

naijaguy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:37 pm

I honestly don't understand vancity eagle most times. Is he trying to say that Olayinka is not good to be tried out? What did Sadiq do with the two chances he was given? Playing against instructions.
Don't mind him. Nwakali is here because of withdrawals yet he has played a reasonable amount of minutes. Ebuehi and Ajayi are here because of withdrawals too but VE doesn't see anything wrong with them starting tomorrow. I have always suspected VE doesn't understand football.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:51 pm
naijaguy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:37 pm

Don't mind him. Nwakali is here because of withdrawals yet he has played a reasonable amount of minutes. Ebuehi and Ajayi are here because of withdrawals too but VE doesn't see anything wrong with them starting tomorrow. I have always suspected VE doesn't understand football.
He sounds like he plays a lot of video games…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

This is Olayinka that VE things doesn't deserve a look in a dead rubber game

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I dont think VE is saying Olayinka doesnt deserve a chance.

If i understand him correctly, Sadiq hasn't been given enough opportunities to perform so its kind of odd for him to not be given the starting opportunity since Awo is being rested.

I agree with VE.

Maybe Egu has seen something in Olayinka who if we are being honest, has been deployed on the wings the past season with Slavia.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

What I think he's saying is that Sadiq is ahead of Olayinka in the pecking order (evidence is his 2 minute cameos) , so it makes sense to start Sadiq and give him a fair chance of being assessed.

Thats what most coaches would do, and thats what makes the most sense
Lolly wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:56 pm This is Olayinka that VE things doesn't deserve a look in a dead rubber game

Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

If Egu uses the line-up leaked in the press with Sadqi left out it shows he wants to start the match with 11 players not 10 players and one passenger that cannot press from the front, cannot hold the ball up and keeps falling on the ground and trips over his own feet.

According to Egu in the press conference today the game tomorrow will be physical and fast paced and he needs to counter the G Bissau team. He said will make changes because all the players in the squad should be prepared to play and are good enough to start. Olayinka has champions league experience has played against Manu etc. I am looking forward to the game.
Last edited by Flex Swift on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:24 pm I dont think VE is saying Olayinka doesnt deserve a chance.

If i understand him correctly, Sadiq hasn't been given enough opportunities to perform so its kind of odd for him to not be given the starting opportunity since Awo is being rested.

I agree with VE.

Maybe Egu has seen something in Olayinka who if we are being honest, has been deployed on the wings the past season with Slavia.
How can you say that when VE’s argument is Olayinka has no chance of making the World Cup team so why waste minutes on him…we don’t even know if Sadiq will be given the whole second half to show what he’s got, but there’s no player on the squad that can’t be used esp in a dead rubber game given the threat of injury or Covid taking out a player that’s ahead of them in the pecking order.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

I could care less about who Egu starts at striker, but I am VERY concerned that Ndidi is starting. If this boy gets injured we can kiss this tournament goodbye! This is the perfect opportunity to give Onyeka some game time. We may need him at some point in the knockout stages. If he cannot be trusted in a dead rubber game, then he should have been left alone to fight for his club in the EPL!

I hope this lineup is fake ooo!!!
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Also, I also have a feeling that Sadiq will never be a starter on this team esp given the way the team has been setting up to press from high which is not one of his strengths, could be one of the reasons he’s not starting and maybe Olayinka can more so fit into that style of play as he’s a high energy full effort type of player.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:42 pm I could care less about who Egu starts at striker, but I am VERY concerned that Ndidi is starting. If this boy gets injured we can kiss this tournament goodbye! This is the perfect opportunity to give Onyeka some game time. We may need him at some point in the knockout stages. If he cannot be trusted in a dead rubber game, then he should have been left alone to fight for his club in the EPL!

Abi…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:24 pm I dont think VE is saying Olayinka doesnt deserve a chance.

I agree with VE.

Well, I would have agreed with you if he didn't add that Olayinka is only here because of withdrawals and does ot deserve to start ahead of Sadiq "who is legit". I wonder what that means.

And to be honest, I suspect Egu has seen enough of Sadiq and come to the conclusion that he is not good enough. I don't think he is. My opinion.

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:42 pm I could care less about who Egu starts at striker, but I am VERY concerned that Ndidi is starting. If this boy gets injured we can kiss this tournament goodbye! This is the perfect opportunity to give Onyeka some game time. We may need him at some point in the knockout stages. If he cannot be trusted in a dead rubber game, then he should have been left alone to fight for his club in the EPL!

I agree with you here. Was surprised to see he was going to start. Not sure why Egu doesnt rate Onyeka but make we dey watch.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

^^^
It's not even about rating Onyeka. It's just simple common sense. Worst case scenario is that we lose the game, but we still go on the second round as group winners. But imagine a situation in a crucial round of 16 or Q-final game where (God forbid) Ndidi goes down injured, and we have to bring on Onyeka cold off the bench without any significant game time!!! I thought Egu was smarter than this. He is proving otherwise. Anyway, siddon look.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Everyone has now turned into a coach.
Sadiq was equally drafted in because Osimhen and Onuachu were injured. If it was Olayinka that was given the cameo appearances given to Sadiq, you guys would still be clamouring for Sadiq to start this last game. Nobody would mention the fact that Olayinka was given few minutes and should start the last game.
Anyway Eguavoen is the coach and he sees them in training daily. He knows which player to play in each game. I don't care who he starts.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

I think there’s a balance required. Coaches sometimes still like the main spine of their team to start, even in a dead rubber game to continue to build that coherence. Even if Ndidi starts he will probably be subbed for Onyeka at some point. True champions build their squads in such a way that no one is indispensable and part of that is the mentality you create in the squad. Every player should be confident that the they can get the job done if called upon
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

In the film room interview, Egu mentioned keep the spine of the team intact and I believe that his what he has done with the team selection, Defense - Troost, Mid - Ndidi, F - Nacho
He believes this is his core players that can make a difference and this players have showed it over 2 games so lets see how the coach builds on this and if it will work. He said it and he is carrying it out for all to see
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

In the pregame interview Egu said expect few changes not many.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I think if Sadiq does not start in the absence of Awo, then it will be a clear message that Eguavoen is not satisfied with his performance.
That won’t help his confidence becos funny enough I see signs of him trying too hard to impress, believing his time is limited.
He is a good striker but not the same type as Awoniyi.
I actually prefer him by far to Onuachu for starters.

I also think that Awoniyi can rekindle that special strike partnership he had with Nacho as U17s back in the day. There are early signs showing already in my opinion.

So let’s hope they can all show their true worth and then we can judge.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm I think if Sadiq does not start in the absence of Awo, then it will be a clear message that Eguavoen is not satisfied with his performance.
That won’t help his confidence becos funny enough I see signs of him trying too hard to impress, believing his time is limited.
He is a good striker but not the same type as Awoniyi.
I actually prefer him by far to Onuachu for starters.

I also think that Awoniyi can rekindle that special strike partnership he had with Nacho as U17s back in the day. There are early signs showing already in my opinion.

So let’s hope they can all show their true worth and then we can judge.
The biggest problem with Sadiq so far is that he is -1 when Nigeria does not have the ball. In that regard, Awoniyi is miles better. I believe this is an issue. Egu, it seems, values defending from up top.

In my view, this is a major problem and personally it is a downer if the arrowhead cannot or is weak in pestering the opposition when the opposition has the ball. He should be the first line of defense and reliable at that. Awoniyi is hands down better in that regard.

To quote Amodu if Sadiq likes he can score on the moon 🌙 but if he does not do his fair share in recovering the ball, he will be on the bench. This game is not INLY played when your team has the ball. It is also played when your team does not.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics