WESTERHOFF: Good Team but Warns Eguavoen on Govt Officials

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
WESTERHOFF: Good Team but Warns Eguavoen on Govt Officials

Post by Enugu II »

2021 Africa Cup Of Nations Is coming to Nigeria – Westerhof
https://bestchoicesports.com.ng/2021-af ... -westerhof
0 comments, 15/01/2022, by Best Choice Sports, in CAF, FIFA, Investigation, News
117 total views, 36 views today
By Vitus Michael

Clemens Westerhof, the coach who led Nigeria’s Super Eagles to win their second Africa Cup of Nations AFCON in 1994 has disclosed that the 2021 AFCON trophy is coming back to Nigeria.

Nigeria last lifted the continental diadem 9 years ago in South Africa.

After watching the Super Eagles defeat Egypt 1-0 in the opening Group D match on Tuesday, the Dutchman said he was proud of Coach Augustine Eguavoen and his style of play.

“Austin Eguavoen made me proud,” Westerhof said as reported by Vanguard.

“I’m so proud of him that I think the Cup is coming to Nigeria. The boys were strong, very strong like they were in my days in Nigeria. Sometimes we trained three times a day. I made the boys strong. I noticed that Nigerians are very physical and strong, so I made them stronger. You must use what you have. I think Eguavoen is doing the same thing.

“I tell you, the boys I saw against Egypt can win the cup. But I tell you, on this moment, the big job Eguavoen must do now is to make them a family. They must be together, eat together, play together, all players must see themselves as brothers. That way they fight for each other on and off the field. The job now is to hold the team together. He must ensure discipline.”

He advised Eguavoen, who is on interim capacity, to avoid distractions from government officials and ensure complete discipline in the team.

Former Super Eagles coach, Clemens Westerhof
“He must be the policeman of the team. He should police them well, no beer, no women, no distractions. Then he must protect them from government officials. Now Nigeria may want to send delegations. Some may even come when they are training and they will stop training because the minister wants to talk with them.

“No way; that must not happen. Government officials can pass their message through the federation, they must leave the players now to concentrate. They must not be in the same hotel with the players. The most difficult job now is how to hold them together as a family and protect them from many officials who may cause unnecessary distractions.”

Shortly after Eguavoen received Westerhof’s message, he thanked the Dutch and revealed that he adopted Westerhof’s approach in the management of the players.

Late Stephen Keshi said same thing when he coached the Super Eagles.

Recall that Eguavoen was oke of the key defenders Westerhof used to win the 1994 AFCON and qualified the country to the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

Nigeria ranked 5 in the world after the USA ’94 World Cup where they were rated joint most entertaining side with Brazil.

The Super Eagles on Saturday booked their passage into the last l6 of the 2021 AFCON with a 3-1 victory against Sudan.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: WESTERHOFF: Good Team but Warns Eguavoen on Govt Officials

Post by joao »

he must protect them from government officials. Now Nigeria may want to send delegations.
Some may even come when they are training and they will stop training because the minister wants to talk with them.
Typical 'oga them' mentality.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

They already came halftime of the Egypt game, such an unnecessary distraction from the Air Peace chairman, let them leave these boys to do their thing.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I'd love to see Westerhoff in the stands in Qatar for SE quarter final game with Eguaveon as coach. It really would be a proud moment for him. I think the main difference between Rohr and Westerhoff is that Westerhoff encouraged and adopted the Nigerian football culture and improved on it while Rohr tried to change it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I like Westerhoff but for me he has this annoying habit of always making it about him.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:58 am I like Westerhoff but for me he has this annoying habit of always making it about him.

He's an old man now, nothing wrong with him reflecting and noting t h e important contributions he made. Afteral, how many former FC are still talking about Nigeria? Westerhoff is one of us.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:02 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:58 am I like Westerhoff but for me he has this annoying habit of always making it about him.

He's an old man now, nothing wrong with him reflecting and noting t h e important contributions he made. Afteral, how many former FC are still talking about Nigeria? Westerhoff is one of us.
I guess.
Maybe I’m being a bit harsh.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

EH, I HOPE SO, BUT...

...I think it's too early for that. The one thing I like is the statement: You must use what you have.There are too many here who want to transform Nigerians into Europeans instead of optimizing their style based on speed, power, zeal and flair. Keep govt "officials" [and politicians] away? Absolutely.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 am I'd love to see Westerhoff in the stands in Qatar for SE quarter final game with Eguaveon as coach. It really would be a proud moment for him. I think the main difference between Rohr and Westerhoff is that Westerhoff encouraged and adopted the Nigerian football culture and improved on it while Rohr tried to change it.

WITH THE HIGHLIGHTED...

...I'm in total agreement.
Bell
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

We made him popular and he still likes to be in the news when it comes to SE. His students have caught the big too.

Meanwhile, why do you need to police professionals? At this level, they should know better.
“He must be the policeman of the team. He should police them well, no beer, no women, no distractions.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:04 am

I guess.
You are. I bet that Westerhoff did not call the media. The media made the call and chose questions to ask. Tha t is usually how it works.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:39 am

I guess.
You are. I bet that Westerhoff did not call the media. The media made the call and chose questions to ask. Tha t is usually how it works.
This is true.
I’ve said the same about Rohr in the past but nobody answer me. :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:42 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:39 am

I guess.
This is true.
I’ve said the same about Rohr in the past but nobody answer me. :rotf:
It is what it is. The task is simply being aware of it and trying to manage it because you will not be in the room where they select both headline and the lead.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle EII, you and lolly Mohammed must stop highlighting sections in article. Most of us (except bigpokey and Kongi) can read. Let us decide what in the article is important. I am sick and tired of seeing irrelevant sections of articles highlighted. This must stop!
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:54 am
https://bestchoicesports.com.ng/2021-af ... -westerhof
0 comments, 15/01/2022, by Best Choice Sports, in CAF, FIFA, Investigation, News
117 total views, 36 views today
By Vitus Michael

Clemens Westerhof, the coach who led Nigeria’s Super Eagles to win their second Africa Cup of Nations AFCON in 1994 has disclosed that the 2021 AFCON trophy is coming back to Nigeria.

Nigeria last lifted the continental diadem 9 years ago in South Africa.

After watching the Super Eagles defeat Egypt 1-0 in the opening Group D match on Tuesday, the Dutchman said he was proud of Coach Augustine Eguavoen and his style of play.

“Austin Eguavoen made me proud,” Westerhof said as reported by Vanguard.

“I’m so proud of him that I think the Cup is coming to Nigeria. The boys were strong, very strong like they were in my days in Nigeria. Sometimes we trained three times a day. I made the boys strong. I noticed that Nigerians are very physical and strong, so I made them stronger. You must use what you have. I think Eguavoen is doing the same thing.

“I tell you, the boys I saw against Egypt can win the cup. But I tell you, on this moment, the big job Eguavoen must do now is to make them a family. They must be together, eat together, play together, all players must see themselves as brothers. That way they fight for each other on and off the field. The job now is to hold the team together. He must ensure discipline.”

He advised Eguavoen, who is on interim capacity, to avoid distractions from government officials and ensure complete discipline in the team.

Former Super Eagles coach, Clemens Westerhof
“He must be the policeman of the team. He should police them well, no beer, no women, no distractions. Then he must protect them from government officials. Now Nigeria may want to send delegations. Some may even come when they are training and they will stop training because the minister wants to talk with them.

“No way; that must not happen. Government officials can pass their message through the federation, they must leave the players now to concentrate. They must not be in the same hotel with the players. The most difficult job now is how to hold them together as a family and protect them from many officials who may cause unnecessary distractions.”

Shortly after Eguavoen received Westerhof’s message, he thanked the Dutch and revealed that he adopted Westerhof’s approach in the management of the players.

Late Stephen Keshi said same thing when he coached the Super Eagles.

Recall that Eguavoen was oke of the key defenders Westerhof used to win the 1994 AFCON and qualified the country to the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

Nigeria ranked 5 in the world after the USA ’94 World Cup where they were rated joint most entertaining side with Brazil.

The Super Eagles on Saturday booked their passage into the last l6 of the 2021 AFCON with a 3-1 victory against Sudan.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Westerhoff is a Nigerian at heart. Let me enjoy his old age. God bless him.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 am I'd love to see Westerhoff in the stands in Qatar for SE quarter final game with Eguaveon as coach. It really would be a proud moment for him. I think the main difference between Rohr and Westerhoff is that Westerhoff encouraged and adopted the Nigerian football culture and improved on it while Rohr tried to change it.

GBAGAM.... not only that but playing useless style of football. very annoying and bad to the taste of nigerisans..