AFCON - Parity or Big Teams Slacking

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

joao
Egg
Egg
AFCON - Parity or Big Teams Slacking

Post by joao »

While it is fun to true sports fans, the rise to the occasion of teams previously labeled 'minnows'
is quite interesting. With defending champion Algeria and Ghana almost eliminated while the Gambia
and other disrespected teams are claiming they too belong, I wonder what CE football experts have
to say about this.
Personally, I believe there is parity in the game of football. I try to watch a game objectively as this
enables me to judge and enjoy the proceedings. There are still many matches to go in this AFCON,
and it is too early to pick which team is going to lift the trophy but one thing for sure, the so-called
minnows will certainly have a say before the champion is crowned.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: AFCON - Parity or Big Teams Slacking

Post by Damunk »

The beauty of the African game was best captured by the late Keshi’s casual comment:
“Anytin can happen. Da’az fu‘ball”. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Tournament footy resulting in parity but the weather might be a factor.
Algeria, Egypt and Tunisia didn’t qualify for the World Cup playoffs until their respective last games. Home and away ties tend to favor the traditional heavyweights.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The The better teams have not gotten any better while the minnows have in terms of tactics. Also, the longevity of good teams in Africa seems to be about 2yrs max. Algeria is at the end of its reign, we don't know who's next.
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I think it’s what typically happen in tournaments. A few of the big teams under-perform; a few minnows punch above their weight and one even makes it to the semis.

But ultimately, the heavies dominate.

Even in this tournament, despite Egypt and Algeria disappointing, I’d say the big kids are doing well. Ghana is not really a top aide anymore, but Cameroon, Nigeria and Morocco are really the best teams so far. Ivory Coast also look good and Tunisia have bounced back nicely.

But of course it’s good to see Gambia, Gabon, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Equatorial do well and I hope one of them makes it to the semis at least.

That’s tournament football.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Poor preparations.

Blame the Europeans and their fans for not releasing players early.

Covid isolations are also a bit disruptive to training.

And some of the so called minnows are more resourceful.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:04 am The The better teams have not gotten any better while the minnows have in terms of tactics. Also, the longevity of good teams in Africa seems to be about 2yrs max. Algeria is at the end of its reign, we don't know who's next.
This, the so called big teams still play selfishly in the final 3rd and it was at display with IC and Algeria
African teams match well Physically and Athletically but usually the big teams tend to drift away when it comes to skill, team play and lack of concentration from the small teams in defense and organisation but teams are more organised and with more exposure to world football, their technical game play has increased
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

The so-called minnows have now improved on personnel, tactics and the advent of VAR and internet has made it harder for refs or CAF, FIFA to cheat blatantly.

It's still possible for cheating but not like before where you want the big teams to play to improved viewership etc.

We will see more and more competitive games in Africa henceforth.

Please let's not believe that it's weather, COVID or some strange reasons for the lack of performance of any particular team.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

A minnow will always be a minnow.. Sudan, Mauritania, Ethiopia etc all says hello
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

Olayemi14 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 am Tournament footy resulting in parity but the weather might be a factor.
Algeria, Egypt and Tunisia didn’t qualify for the World Cup playoffs until their respective last games. Home and away ties tend to favor the traditional heavyweights.

which kind weather?? what about morroco
thanks
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

visieC wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 pm The so-called minnows have now improved on personnel, tactics and the advent of VAR and internet has made it harder for refs or CAF, FIFA to cheat blatantly.

It's still possible for cheating but not like before where you want the big teams to play to improved viewership etc.

Please let's not believe that it's weather, COVID or some strange reasons for the lack of performance of any particular team.
Gambia has 5 Serie A players and one Serie B player, plus a few others in the Spanish and Belgian top leagues. They are only minnows by country population.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

At the end of the day it is still 11 vs 11. Anything can happen on the day. I think it is good and it makes for a more competitive tornament.
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Chief, you skipped all the other possible arguments to pick on one out of the four North African nations performing well.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/amp/news/bel ... 61a9a8d8a1

Morocco have been the most consistent African nation throughout the WC qualifiers. The others have labored.

delisyomie don wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:42 pm
Olayemi14 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 am Tournament footy resulting in parity but the weather might be a factor.

which kind weather?? what about morroco
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

visieC wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 pm The so-called minnows have now improved on personnel, tactics and the advent of VAR and internet has made it harder for refs or CAF, FIFA to cheat blatantly.

:clap: :clap: Suitcases may still switch hands but it's a lot harder for them to make an impact. :thumbs:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

chif456 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:56 pm At the end of the day it is still 11 vs 11. Anything can happen on the day.
I think it is good and it makes for a more competitive tournament.
:agree:
...But some herein think of football in terms of dynasty. Which is why the English keep
reminding everyone about 1966. Time, talent, and tactics have caught up with many of
the great teams of the past, with new teams like the USA, Croatia, and Belgium posing
a threat to the old guard.

Your statement that,
At the end of the day it is still 11 vs 11

is what makes things quite interesting, as it is more about how federations develop and
nourish their players into 'a team' that matters. Some countries have talent but lack
a serious developmental program - e.g. Nigeria and in fact most African countries. Some
lack talent but have a solid team, structured around team discipline and focused play -
Take Russia, Japan and Korea, to name a few.

In summary, I do believe that the African team that can muster the team discipline and
focused play of the Germans will dominate on the continent, and be a true contender at
the World cup.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The other consideration is that tournament football has a tempo.

You don't want to peak early, but you cannot peak late. Even if these teams like Senegal are somehow playing below potential, it may not even matter. They are running out of time to build momentum. Even if lets say a Senegal or Algeria were somehow the best sides (I don't believe they are, but let us say for argument's sake), can they peak in time?

Even if we look at France and Belgium as cases in point (2018 World Cup), France did not really falter in the early stages of the mundial as some think. They may have struggled more than pundits expected, against relatively low opposition, and scored fewer goals before the R16, but they still gained good results, and those results were improved upon.

You can stumble a little bit, even Nigeria in 2013 did not win every game in the group stage, but you cannot stumble too much. In fact, we can also look to Croatia. If you start scraping results, that also takes its toll.

Nigeria has a lot of advantages going forward. In that we create a lot of opportunities per game, and we have more to build on. The likelihood of Nigeria going to penalties or extra time is statistically lower.

If the other big dogs really want to get in our way, then they have no time to spare.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

I dont think Big teams are slacking or underestimating anyone.

I do think the lack of adequate preparation time has helped smaller nations that have been able to keep their players in camp for a much longer period, in a much better position to compete with the bigger nations.

I also think there is natural attrition that takes place in some teams that leads to declines. This has been the case for Algeria and Senegal.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:45 pm

Gambia has 5 Serie A players and one Serie B player, plus a few others in the Spanish and Belgian top leagues. They are only minnows by country population.
Lolly,

How many Serie A or Big 5 league players wey Malawi get? Abeg, tell us?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 pm Poor preparations.

Blame the Europeans and their fans for not releasing players early.

Covid isolations are also a bit disruptive to training.

And some of the so called minnows are more resourceful.
Hmm, the game between Morocco and Gabon I watched yesterday, Morocco seemed more like the minnow if there is such thing (minnow) in this AFCON tournament
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

chif456 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:56 pm At the end of the day it is still 11 vs 11. Anything can happen on the day. I think it is good and it makes for a more competitive tornament.
Exactly!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

charlie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:23 pm I dont think Big teams are slacking or underestimating anyone.

I do think the lack of adequate preparation time has helped smaller nations that have been able to keep their players in camp for a much longer period, in a much better position to compete with the bigger nations.

I also think there is natural attrition that takes place in some teams that leads to declines. This has been the case for Algeria and Senegal.
... and speaking of Algeria, I am also surprised they are not faring well in this AFCON. They (Algeria) better be careful, else they will be heading home like Ghana.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:10 am
charlie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:23 pm I dont think Big teams are slacking or underestimating anyone.

... and speaking of Algeria, I am also surprised they are not faring well in this AFCON. They (Algeria) better be careful, else they will be heading home like Ghana.
If they fail to beat Ivory Coast, they are heading home.
Simple.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:26 am
Odas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:10 am

If they fail to beat Ivory Coast, they are heading home.
Simple.
Speaking from their past two games I saw, I think Algeria is in HOT soup because I don't see them beating Ivory coast. However, any thing can happen, so let's wait and see.