EKONG has been Huge

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
EKONG has been Huge

Post by jette1 »

So I see all these psuedo headings and dis & dat about one player or another on how they did against Egypt and Sudan yet nothing about EKONG. This guy has been consistently there since he joined our youth team back in the 90s. I remember when mikel was nearing exit from SE and there was this discussion on who should succeed him and not once did anyone of you even mentioned his name. ROHR ofcouse was wise enough to give him that recognition. So the question is are we going to remain in denial and defend our unconscious biases and prejudices we harbor against ajibotes
Last edited by jette1 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EKONG has been Huge

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Did Ekong play our youth teams? Hmmm...didn't know that. He has been very solid so far at Afcon. Put in a captain's shift in both games. I expect him and Omeruo to be rested v Bissau. BTW, Omeruob is probably the most unappreciated SE player ever. All things being equal, he should be Captain.
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 am Did Ekong play our youth teams? Hmmm...didn't know that. He has been very solid so far at Afcon. Put in a captain's shift in both games. I expect him and Omeruo to be rested v Bissau. BTW, Omeruobisnpribablybthe most unappreciated SE player ever. All things being equal, he should be Captain.
Youth as in U23, as in Olympics 2016
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

He’s been focused and really wants to win something, him Omeruo and Ndidi have been no nonsense
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 am He’s been focused and really wants to win something, him Omeruo and Ndidi have been no nonsense
Yup. The biggest surprise so far has been our defense and the ability of the team to recover 2nd balls. We have not conceeded from open play yet, Maduka has been on vacation. Honestly, we could win Afcon with Noble in goal.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Wait till Maldini Ndah comes in and makes the spotlight :thumbs:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:clap:
jette1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:52 am So I see all these psuedo headings and dis & dat about one player or another on how they did against Egypt and Sudan yet nothing about EKONG. This guy has been consistently there since he joined our youth team back in the 90s. I remember when mikel was nearing exit from SE and there was this discussion on who should succeed him and not once did anyone of you even mentioned his name. ROHR ofcouse was wise enough to give him that recognition. So the question is are we going to remain in denial and defend our unconscious biases and prejudices we harbor against ajibotes
:clap: I have been a critic of Ekong. I do not know what it is but he has clearly been one of our top players so far. In the last game, he was my second highest rated player. He really has been one of Nigeria's best.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:52 am So I see all these psuedo headings and dis & dat about one player or another on how they did against Egypt and Sudan yet nothing about EKONG. This guy has been consistently there since he joined our youth team back in the 90s. I remember when mikel was nearing exit from SE and there was this discussion on who should succeed him and not once did anyone of you even mentioned his name. ROHR ofcouse was wise enough to give him that recognition. So the question is are we going to remain in denial and defend our unconscious biases and prejudices we harbor against ajibotes
Come again?
Ekong was born in 1993, so how could he have joined our youth team “in the 90s”?
Basically, he never played for a Nigerian ‘youth’ team.
The Olympic team cannot be considered a youth team in the true sense.
And that was 2016.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Ekong has been slow!

We are playing Kami Kazi high line defense. I don't wanna find out if he can catch up with those fast African boys if dem lob ball behind Ekong.

Other than that, he has been good

Cmoke
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cmoke wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:15 am Ekong has been slow!

We are playing Kami Kazi high line defense. I don't wanna find out if he can catch up with those fast African boys if dem lob ball behind Ekong.

Cmoke
Cmoke

The discourse though is on how he has played so far. He has been magnificent.

You are writing about your concerns and many share those but those concerns have not been bared thus far.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

highbury wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:29 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 am Did Ekong play our youth teams? Hmmm...didn't know that. He has been very solid so far at Afcon. Put in a captain's shift in both games. I expect him and Omeruo to be rested v Bissau. BTW, Omeruobisnpribablybthe most unappreciated SE player ever. All things being equal, he should be Captain.
Youth as in U23, as in Olympics 2016
Hmm, like Emir, I didn't know he played for us at the 'youth' level
Last edited by Odas on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ekong has rediscovered his mojo.

So far has played very well.

There was one interception he did at the later stages of the game against Egypt... masterfully done.

His communication with Omeruo has been good.

I hope it is a sign of more things to come.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:36 am
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 am He’s been focused and really wants to win something, him Omeruo and Ndidi have been no nonsense
Yup. The biggest surprise so far has been our defense and the ability of the team to recover 2nd balls. We have not conceeded from open play yet, Maduka has been on vacation. Honestly, we could win Afcon with Noble in goal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: even I would have managed our goalkeeping position successfully.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

No doubt Ekong’s defense has improved. Most likely due to his partnership with Omeruo and buoyed by Eguavoen’s new strategy. Compared to Balogun who like to make those crazy runs down the middle like a banshee, Omeruo is more like a stay home CD and this may have boosted Ekong‘a confidence and diminish panicky situations :)
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 am

Cmoke
Cooked

You are writing about your concerns and many share those but those concerns have not been bared thus far.

Cooked. :laugh: They always seem to come up with imaginary pribkens when a player player threatens their client.
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ekong, Omeruo, Aina, Zaidu, and Ndidi have been huge in our defense. Ndidi has been so effective that he makes it look like we are playing 5 - 2- 4 with him playing defence and midfield simultaneously. Go back and watch the games closely. For those of you that watch in on Bein sports, pay particualr attention to how many times the arab commentator calls Ndidi, and Ekong's names. Granted, it seems he is unable to say Umeruo so he calls him Wilfred Ndidi also. Lol
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

He’s been great. Didn’t expect him to be as Watford games have not been flattering, but he’s been great
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 am
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 am

Cmoke
Cooked

Cooked. :laugh: They always seem to come up with imaginary pribkens when a player player threatens their client.
:rotf:

Did not realize autocorrect affects you as well.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 am
Come again?
Ekong was born in 1993, so how could he have joined our youth team “in the 90s”?
Basically, he never played for a Nigerian ‘youth’ team.
The Olympic team cannot be considered a youth team in the true sense.
And that was 2016.
Good thing I at least got you out of wherever
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:44 am Wait till Maldini Ndah comes in and makes the spotlight :thumbs:
Tbh, I’m dying to see him on the pitch.
Omeruo has been quite decent but I expect Ndah to be ‘decenter’. :D:
I hope it’s not Ajayi next in line.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

He'd done pretty well though his distribution remains average.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Why is Ekong Captain, he is the second most senior?
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Cellular wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 am Ekong has rediscovered his mojo.

So far has played very well.

There was one interception he did at the later stages of the game against Egypt... masterfully done.

His communication with Omeruo has been good.

I hope it is a sign of more things to come.
I also think he is more focused. He is taking a social media break during the AFCON. I think he has been hearing all the noise and have come ready to do the job and prove all his critics wrong. So far so good.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger