Probable route for Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Probable route for Nigeria

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:38 pm Sorry….how do they determine exactly which of the four best losers meets who, when they say B/E/F?
Is that the order?
If all 3rd placed teams in those three groups qualify, does it mean we meet the team from GpB rather than GpE?[*][*]
Good question. I think it is the first listed option. However, I wonder if that is actually the correct answer given that one group option is listed two times on that schedule.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

marutimon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:28 pm
Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:13 pm
Robotnik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm Was thinking Malawi in the round of 16 or Sierra Leone
I think it’s 3rd place qualifier from Group B, E, or F in that order.
Ahhh so the tiebreaker is only for the spots available, irrespective of who the superior side is, it will be the team from Group B, assuming they make the cutoff. So it will be Malawi, even if Gambia are the superior side.

Assuming Malawi makes it. Only in the event that a team from Group B does not even make it, THEN Groups E and F factor in.

Disregard my last post.
Wrong. Read above. The chances Nigeria play Malawi are minimal, unless you get some freak results like Guinea Bissau beating us. Group F is the likely candidate.
I am not discussing the likelihood here, but clarifying how the order works. It seems that as long as Group B makes the cut-off then we face them. I think this is what EII is also questioning above.

In other words....If B = Top 4 then B, else E, if E = top 4, else F?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:38 pm Sorry….how do they determine exactly which of the four best losers meets who, when they say B/E/F?
Is that the order?
If all 3rd placed teams in those three groups qualify, does it mean we meet the team from GpB rather than GpE?[*][*]
Good question. I think it is the first listed option. However, I wonder if that is actually the correct answer given that one group option is listed two times on that schedule.
But note the orders are different for each team, which means if B is our priority then we get B, if B is available, if E is our 2nd priority then we get E, compared to Cameroon for example.

F is listed in the same order for both Nigeria and Cameroon, but note that one of A/B/E must qualify as only two groups miss out.

For Nigeria not to play Malawi, they have to drop to 5th or 6th in the ranking. Any other position and we play them. If this theory is correct.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Is that the order?
Not necessarily, It's a little confusing. Nigeria would play 3rd place B (Malawi) only if the other 3rd place qualifiers come from A,C and D.

Take a look at the knockout format below, it may give a clearer indication.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Afri ... kout_stage
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Zelex wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:04 pm
Is that the order?
Not necessarily, It's a little confusing. Nigeria would play 3rd place B (Malawi) only if the other 3rd place qualifiers come from A,C and D.

Ahh I totally ignored that chart lol, I thought it was just a summation of what was below. Thanks for the clarification.

That chart is actually not confusing. Ignoring it, however, made it very confusing.

So we have A,B,C,F or A,B,E,F as likely options.

Both options present 3F. Tunisia or Gambia. As the others above were debating.

Malawi then is not really an option....it would take a shock result against Nigeria or against Egypt for that matter.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

marutimon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:28 pm
Robotnik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm Was thinking Malawi in the round of 16 or Sierra Leone
Ahhh so the tiebreaker is only for the spots available, irrespective of who the superior side is, it will be the team from Group B, assuming they make the cutoff. So it will be Malawi, even if Gambia are the superior side.

Assuming Malawi makes it. Only in the event that a team from Group B does not even make it, THEN Groups E and F factor in.

Disregard my last post.
Wrong. Read above. The chances Nigeria play Malawi are minimal, unless you get some freak results like Guinea Bissau beating us. Group F is the likely candidate.
Apologies, I didn't see the chart that you were guys were using. Well I saw it and thought nothing of it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Is that the order?

:clap: :clap: thanks for posting this. This is the all important key!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:57 pm
Is that the order?
But note the orders are different for each team, which means if B is our priority then we get B, if B is available, if E is our 2nd priority then we get E, compared to Cameroon for example.

F is listed in the same order for both Nigeria and Cameroon, but note that one of A/B/E must qualify as only two groups miss out.

For Nigeria not to play Malawi, they have to drop to 5th or 6th in the ranking. Any other position and we play them. If this theory is correct.
This is my understanding. We are likely to play Malawi.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Lolly wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:34 pm
Robotnik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm
Malawi in group B
We are playing Malawi if we win our group
I thought when they listed BEF, they meant best amongst the 3 3rd placed teams from these groups. It doesn’t mean order of priority.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Disregard my last post.
I don’t think this assumption is correct.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Is that the order?

Thanks for this. It's more likely we play 3rd placed from Group E or F. I can't see any of the 3 placed qualifiers coming from our group (D).
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Cito wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Disregard my last post.
I don’t think this assumption is correct.
See the posts above.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:27 pm
Is that the order?

No I was wrong, see what Zelex posted.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

My prediction is third place teams ABEF make it. I assume the third place team from Nigeria's group fails to advance. This makes it easier to predict match ups. Just a prediction.

This will help narrow the options from that table to one. LOL.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:25 pm
Is that the order?

:clap: :clap: thanks for posting this. This is the all important key!
Yes o. It was helpful. It seems like as long as one of the four best 3rd place finishers is from Group F, we are playing that team.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

This is a hilarious thread.
I’d hate to see you all try and do a bit of calculus.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Isn't it likely we may play CIV or Algeria I'd one of them finish third ? They are group E.

That would not be a reward for topping our group.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

If our SE is good enough we should not be hoping for any soft opponent.
Gambia or Malawi will pose our SE a stiffer opposition than Tunisia. If anyone
thinks either of the former two names are going to be push overs, they are in
for a serious heartache.
We keep bragging about our team, forgetting that for many teams, humbling the
SE is an agenda to boost their pride, and they will come determined.

Please guys, which of us would have thought Ghana will be humbled by Comoros
in a do or die matchup? Thus, it's reality check time for every 'BIG' team.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:05 pm Isn't it likely we may play CIV or Algeria I'd one of them finish third ? They are group E.

That would not be a reward for topping our group.
Nope. That only happens if no one from Group F is one of the 3rd best teams or Malawi isn't a 3rd best team (despite having 4 pts).

And for that to happen you need freak results like Tunisia losing by more than 4 goals to Gambia or Guinea Bissau beating Nigeria...
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tbite wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:27 pm
Is that the order?

No I was wrong, see what Zelex posted.
Thanks!
mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

Most likely Gambia.

Tunisia most likely winning against Gambia.

Tunisia needs to win to get through, while Gambia can afford to lose.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

waka-man wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:57 pm This is a hilarious thread.
I’d hate to see you all try and do a bit of calculus.
and how would you do the calculation with half information?

Based on the information that some of us had, the assumptions made sense. Even words such as 'theory' were used. But hey whatever gets you going.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

No surprise results, so basically unless Tunisia loses by at least 6 goals against Gambia, we're playing Tunisia / Gambia in the 1/8 final.

So it's 99,99% set.