How is Ndidi still at Leicester?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
How is Ndidi still at Leicester?

Post by john12 »

Based on this tournament performance, Ndidi has been the best DM in Africa and for a continent that has Gueye at PSG, partey at Arsenal, how on earth is Ndidi still playing at a smaller club like Leicester when he should be at one of the best teams in the world? The guy has covered many grounds at this tournament.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How is Ndidi still at Leicester?

Post by deanotito »

I’ve only been asking the same question for the last 4 years. Everybody used to have a “but but but…” answer for me 2 years ago. Now, it’s mostly just silence
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

deanotito wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:03 am I’ve only been asking the same question for the last 4 years. Everybody used to have a “but but but…” answer for me 2 years ago. Now, it’s mostly just silence
Myself is very confused and I believe that ndidi owes his true supporters an explanation. Is he still at Leicester because of academic reasons, or is he scared of big clubs or does he has a bad agent? How can the likes of gueye and partey sign for PSG and Arsenal while ndidi, is still at Leicester for over 5 years. He is clearly the best Defensive midfielder in Africa now. Ask a neutral, if you think I’m biased
GG of G
Egg
Egg

Post by GG of G »

But Leicester is better than Arsenal at the moment.....until things change that is. I reckon until the likes of Chelsea, City and Liverpool, Real Madrid etc calls....he should continue to enjoy his time in the Midlands
"Do not be Misled. God is not one to be mocked. Whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

GG of G wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:10 am But Leicester is better than Arsenal at the moment.....until things change that is. I reckon until the likes of Chelsea, City and Liverpool, Real Madrid etc calls....he should continue to enjoy his time in the Midlands
At the moment, Yes, but Historically No. I will even prefer if he plays for a historical big team that’s out of form. Barcelona, Ac Milan
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

On ESPN FC, Nedum Onouha claimed Kasper S. told him that Ndidi is only a shade below Kante.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

He is legitimately one of the best DMs in the World. Not in Africa.

The one thing I have noticed is that many clubs want him, but always as their backup plan in case option 1 fails in the window.

This would suggest that he is highly valued but the clubs do not believe he is a perfect fit for their system.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 am He is legitimately one of the best DMs in the World. Not in Africa.

The one thing I have noticed is that many clubs want him, but always as their backup plan in case option 1 fails in the window.

This would suggest that he is highly valued but the clubs do not believe he is a perfect fit for their system.
This makes the most sense Tbite. :agree:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 am He is legitimately one of the best DMs in the World. Not in Africa.

This is mostly conjecture. Or are we now going to say all the clubs get their “option 1”?

Ndidi would fit in almost all big clubs, with maybe a few exceptions (Man City, for instance may not work)
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Leicester City. Based in England. Billionaire owner.

Ndidi. Premier League starter for a former PL champion and current FA Cup holder.

Price, more O’s than Cheerios. Throw in the fact that Covid has chidinmaed the finances of many clubs on the continent and it’s clear to see why a cut price Abdoulaye from France is favoured over upwards of 60-70 mill Will.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

deanotito wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:39 am

This is mostly conjecture. Or are we now going to say all the clubs get their “option 1”?

Ndidi would fit in almost all big clubs, with maybe a few exceptions (Man City, for instance may not work)
Of course, no arguments. But relative to whom?

I guess I should rephrase to say "less of a perfect fit" for the club's intentions. Which is the factor used to decide Option 1, 2, 3 etc.

The factors that determine the options are: Player Ability, Team chemistry, Age/Fitness, Understanding of Teams Tactics.

One could argue that the ability/tactics element largely overlap, one thing that we do know is that Ndidi has been playing less of an offensive role, so that is a consideration. Of course, it may also be a pricing issue, he is the fourth most valuable DM in the world (transfermakt), but there are many DMs with a more offensive look.

In terms of fitness, he is somewhat injury prone, to put it mildly. His age is ideal.

We come to these conclusions not based on an outsiders view of the matter, but because we know the player intimately. I would say that although Ndidi is versatile, his versatility in recent years has mostly be tested in defence. He plays DM, CM, CB. But more practically, based on just playing styles, you can see Soumare at Leicester is more offensive minded.

So the question then is, who wants a pure DM? And based on these factors, why is he placing #2? Is his transfer value an impediment? Someone might look at Yves Bissouma who is priced at less than half of Ndidi as a better option for example. Is it the injury? Or is it the offensive 'limitation'. He can score and assist, but on a game to game basis, he will usually not contribute too much upfront, unless in dire straits. Whereas a Kante or a Soumare will contribute offensively every game. For Soumare, the stats may be better reflected in key passes.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

TBH if I were a scout, I wouldn't care about the offensive argument. The only two things I would worry about would be his price and the injuries. That would be it. Ndidi is VERY expensive.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

GG of G wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:10 am But Leicester is better than Arsenal at the moment.....until things change that is. I reckon until the likes of Chelsea, City and Liverpool, Real Madrid etc calls....he should continue to enjoy his time in the Midlands
:roll: How and in what way is Leicester better than Arsenal? Arsenal is 4th on the table and Leicester is 10th.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Leicester WAS better than Arsenal for a long time, but Arsenal are better this season. If you want to use a 5 year window then Leicester are easily the better team. Short term, Arsenal are good.

Leicester are significantly underperforming. Brendan Rodgers has to go. He is a good coach, but he is at the end of his cycle. Leicester SHOULD be in the top 4 this season. Arteta has overachieved and Rodgers has underachieved.
GG of G
Egg
Egg

Post by GG of G »

Thanks, Tbite for capturing my thoughts exactly.
"Do not be Misled. God is not one to be mocked. Whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

I also said he was one of the better midfielders in world football ages ago.

The only thing I can think of as the reason why he has not moved on might be his ridiculous last minute tackle against Algeria that gifted them a free kick. I guess European scouts don't think he's that disciplined and once you have a reputation, albeit unfair, it sticks.

I still think he is one of the best midfielder's in the world. certainly the most underrated.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:54 am TBH if I were a scout, I wouldn't care about the offensive argument. The only two things I would worry about would be his price and the injuries. That would be it. Ndidi is VERY expensive.
Kante cost less than £29m
Jorginho cost £50m

I have written a report on Ndidi 3x in 5yrs before and after he joined Leicester and the issue is Money…

Truth is that African players have a low resell value with not much in terms of commercial value to the club….

Do you see a Nigerian wearing a jersey with Mane in it? But they will wear Di Maria….

He might be a great DM - one of the best in the world but I can guarantee you that more ppl in Nigeria have shirts with Fabinho and across the world Xhaka….

So when u work out the finances….unless ur desperate…it ain’t happening…

I had a discussion with Ole before he was sacked and after the finances, he wanted a report on Rice to see how it compliments his team…

I keep telling ppl, football is a business and nothing else matters. That’s why I like competitions like the AFCON, it is purely pride and entertainment
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Enyi wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:50 pm
Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:54 am TBH if I were a scout, I wouldn't care about the offensive argument. The only two things I would worry about would be his price and the injuries. That would be it. Ndidi is VERY expensive.
Jorginho cost £50m

I have written a report on Ndidi 3x in 5yrs before and after he joined Leicester and the issue is Money…

Truth is that African players have a low resell value with not much in terms of commercial value to the club….

Do you see a Nigerian wearing a jersey with Mane in it? But they will wear Di Maria….

He might be a great DM - one of the best in the world but I can guarantee you that more ppl in Nigeria have shirts with Fabinho and across the world Xhaka….

I had a discussion with Ole before he was sacked and after the finances, he wanted a report on Rice to see how it compliments his team…

I keep telling ppl, football is a business and nothing else matters. That’s why I like competitions like the AFCON, it is purely pride and entertainment
The above doesn’t make any sense to me.
You are saying no one is buying him because he has a low resell value? Doesn’t that mean he’s a bargain now as well? And if you go back to the original post, it is pointing out that inferior African DMs are at bigger clubs.

Not sure what your point about your conversation with Ole was… that he considers finances when buying a player?

Maybe I’m just struggling with the sentence structures but the above doesn’t make sense to me.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ahh I thought you had replied to me. I will edit my post to try to fix it.

There are cheaper alternatives with comparable profiles. Though I think Ndidi is the best.

For example when it comes to his strength of tackling.

If injuries for example are a concern (and I don't know that they are) then why would you pay more than double the price of lets say Yves Bissouma to get Ndidi? When in the previous season he had more tackles per game (though with more games played).

If we want to discuss the issue of resale value, I am not so sure how much of an investment he is. His age is good like I said, he has MINIMUM three years in his prime, most likely much longer. The Injuries dampen the prospects somewhat. I think team chemistry is key, it really depends where he plays (He links up with Iheanacho for example better than other players). As for the shirt sales, well that is a reasonable point.

All in all, Clubs will NOT make a decision on one factor alone, so it depends on all these elements. My feeling is that if Leicester are willing to budge a bit on price, it would make negotiations much easier.

I think Leicester value Ndidi more highly than your typical investment. The guy can do no wrong at that club (probably because he is so damn consistent). So, I think this presents a major obstacle. Leicester have made acquisitions to account for Ndidi's time off, but they do not value him any less, this does not mean that other clubs do not perceive of a premium.

I feel the club, more than the player, hold the cards here.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

I'd say he's content. Maybe similar to how Mikel was at Chelsea. He's comfortable at Leicester, the team is fairly solid, and they have ambition.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

juventuss wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:57 pm I'd say he's content. Maybe similar to how Mikel was at Chelsea. He's comfortable at Leicester, the team is fairly solid, and they have ambition.
I buy this. He’s a hero in Leicester, often challenging for top four, while completing his degree. After Vardy and Shmiechel who are both over 30, he’s the most important member of that squad.

He had 2 or 3 years before he needs to make a big money move. And because he’s best in a team that plays with a set holding player (unlike Chelsea who play with a “quarterback”), there are only so many places that he’s worth the investment. In fact, big teams rarely play like that, as it’s a role that teams that need extra protection for the back four invest in.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

waka-man wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:08 am
Jorginho cost £50m

You are saying no one is buying him because he has a low resell value? Doesn’t that mean he’s a bargain now as well? And if you go back to the original post, it is pointing out that inferior African DMs are at bigger clubs.

Not sure what your point about your conversation with Ole was… that he considers finances when buying a player?

Maybe I’m just struggling with the sentence structures but the above doesn’t make sense to me.
He is not a bargain now because he is valuable to Leicester….it will cost Leicester more to buy a player of similar quality….

The other Africans that are at big clubs went for cheap.

Even Gueye, when he left Everton, he went for £30m and this was when I believe PSG was about to splash £60m on David Luiz…so that will tell what his value is…

If u are going to buy a player, it’s multi factorial and the least is talent unless I will be minting money….

Talented players are a dime a dozen believe me…but $#% like Leadership qualities, international presence, commercial value, resell value counts….

That’s why you look at the big big clubs….Rarely see Africans…Salah is in Liverpool, Barca wants a striker, Bayern is looking….Salah’s contract is running out, no one is pushing…

Ndidi is too expensive at £30m whereas Declan Rice is Cheap at £50m….sorry I can’t put it any simpler than that (done look at the money but what’s backing it)….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Enyi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 pm
waka-man wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:08 am
Jorginho cost £50m

He is not a bargain now because he is valuable to Leicester….it will cost Leicester more to buy a player of similar quality….

The other Africans that are at big clubs went for cheap.

Even Gueye, when he left Everton, he went for £30m and this was when I believe PSG was about to splash £60m on David Luiz…so that will tell what his value is…

If u are going to buy a player, it’s multi factorial and the least is talent unless I will be minting money….

Talented players are a dime a dozen believe me…but $#% like Leadership qualities, international presence, commercial value, resell value counts….

That’s why you look at the big big clubs….Rarely see Africans…Salah is in Liverpool, Barca wants a striker, Bayern is looking….Salah’s contract is running out, no one is pushing…

Ndidi is too expensive at £30m whereas Declan Rice is Cheap at £50m….sorry I can’t put it any simpler than that (done look at the money but what’s backing it)….
A bit clearer but while it is a factor, it’s not that big.
Osimhen went for big bucks. Try and buy Salah. Or Mane and see the price.

Your more accurate point is he is worth more to Leicester than he is worth to anyone else. A small team can’t afford him, a big team don’t need him as much.

By the things like leadership qualities are part of talent. And if Chelsea or Real or Man City thought Ndidi was the answer to their problems, trust me, they’d break the bank to get him.