I am watching THE GAME for the first time now

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: I am watching THE GAME for the first time now

Post by 1naija »

Seniorest uncle, no o. Our age group still has 5 hours to go. But have a good night rest 12 hour rest like your fellow 75 year olds.
Riche007 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:43 am Greatest Grand Uncle 1naija, isn't it your bed time now?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I think Iwobi will get in ahead of Samu.
Also, don’t be surprised to see a change of shape.
Nwakali might become part of middle three while Simon, Nacho and Awoniyi play further ahead. Unlikely but based on personnel and opposition, it cojld happen.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You are adding Awoniyi based on sentiments. If your life dependef on it, there is no way you would pick Awoniyi over Sadiq.
waka-man wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 am I think Iwobi will get in ahead of Samu.
Also, don’t be surprised to see a change of shape.
Nwakali might become part of middle three while Simon, Nacho and Awoniyi play further ahead. Unlikely but based on personnel and opposition, it cojld happen.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: BASED ON THE 5 MINS HIGHLIGHTS OF THE GAME

Post by theYemster »

1naija wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:06 am Looking at it again, that was actually great goalkeeping from the Guinea Bissau goalkeeper than poor effort by Sadiq. If he hit it one time the keeper wiuld have blocked it because he had the angel covered. It would have looked like a better effort by Sadiq though.
Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:44 am
1naija wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 am The only poor choice he made was with that perfect through ball from Nwakali.
Yes, he should have hit that one time
I agree. The goalie made a great save.

Sadiq was poor in the game though. I see the potential but maybe this tournament is just a little too soon for him.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

He may have actually got a penalty if he flopped. Then again VAR might have caught the flop.
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:23 am
1naija wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 am The only poor choice he made was with that perfect through ball from Nwakali.
i think he should have gone down in the box when the goalie touched him . I actually like him a lot and should be part of the team going forward
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Sadiq is not ready
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ANC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:16 am Sadiq is not ready
Sadiq has what many would describe as a ‘languid’ style. It comes with the deceptive perception of laziness.
Players like our own Nwankwo Kanu, England’s Matt Le Tissier and Peter Crouch all suffered limited international careers for this reason (except Kanu who still had his critics though). Same with the phenomenally gifted Glen Hoddle. Their relatively ‘long’ legs was part of the problem. They all ended up having their talents under appreciated.

Sadiq is actually very skillful but has to sort his legs out and learn how to deal with the ‘hustle’ of the African game. I suspect moving to La Liga next season - as is likely - will make or break him.
It’s a little too easy for him in the Segunda for now.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Not for me. Too clumsy, not quick nor strong, bad balance. There was a time he tried to close down a striker and bundled right into him from behind. Something is off about his game, perhaps he tries toohard. Maybe if he relaxes and plays to his strengths.

We have to make do obviously, but going forward the likes of Onauchu and Dressers should get his spot.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:55 am Not for me. Too clumsy, not quick nor strong, bad balance. There was a time he tried to close down a striker and bundled right into him from behind. Something is off about his game, perhaps he tries toohard. Maybe if he relaxes and plays to his strengths.
The point is, he isn’t like this in the Segunda.
The question is, why?

That’s for the coaches to answer and find a solution to.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:03 am
airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:55 am Not for me. Too clumsy, not quick nor strong, bad balance. There was a time he tried to close down a striker and bundled right into him from behind. Something is off about his game, perhaps he tries toohard. Maybe if he relaxes and plays to his strengths.
The question is, why?

National team coaches don't have time for that though, especially when you have a plethora of options available. I suspect he is used differently. For us he is being asked to do too much.

Also, I guess his speed and strength are sufficient at that level. The confidence he pushes the ball past defenders, then loses foot races, tells me he is used to winning such battles at his club. You never see Kelechi for instance trying that. Senior man knows he isn't blessed with blistering pace, so baba doesn't even bother
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

1naija wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:06 am Looking at it again, that was actually great goalkeeping from the Guinea Bissau goalkeeper than poor effort by Sadiq. If he hit it one time the keeper wiuld have blocked it because he had the angel covered. It would have looked like a better effort by Sadiq though.
Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:44 am
Yes, he should have hit that one time
He did well there, really don't know what people are talking about, not every striker would have converted that chance. Kudos to the goalkeeper. Sadiq should have gone down when he was kicked by the defender
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am
The question is, why?

National team coaches don't have time for that though, especially when you have a plethora of options available. I suspect he is used differently. For us he is being asked to do too much.
Just watch his games. I’ve been posting about him for over a year.
He is used just as Egu is using him.
The issue is that he needs to ‘tune in’ better to the SE team and the African game in general.
I keep saying that his style is deceptive.

You think he is ‘slow’ right?
You’ll be shocked. He is not slow at all. Give him half a yard of space and it’s all over.

You think he’s ‘clumsy’.
Understandable, but once he gets his rhythm going, you’ll be very surprised at the sublime things he can do with his feet, including finishing.

You think he is featherweight?
That’s the physicality of the African game he may not be experiencing in La Segunda.
He needs to work on that.

But you are right. There is plenty of competition so he needs to start delivering.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bros, each and every time he gets in a foot race, he loses. Each time he gets in a physical battle he either fouls or is out muscled.

If he is bullying folks in segunda, he might be a flat track bully.

That said, he is young enough to improve. Egu obviously sees something in him
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am Also, I guess his speed and strength are sufficient at that level. The confidence he pushes the ball past defenders, then loses foot races, tells me he is used to winning such battles at his club. You never see Kelechi for instance trying that. Senior man knows he isn't blessed with blistering pace, so baba doesn't even bother
Didnt see this.
Yeah, he does win most foot races in Spain.
It’s hit and miss in Africa and you raise a general point I’ve been pondering for a while.
Speed is a key part of the skill set for many black players in Europe.
In Africa, it is virtually cancelled out.
Could this be one reason why the minnows with no big names are effectively challenging the bigger teams at AFCON?

Just a thought.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 am
airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am Also, I guess his speed and strength are sufficient at that level. The confidence he pushes the ball past defenders, then loses foot races, tells me he is used to winning such battles at his club. You never see Kelechi for instance trying that. Senior man knows he isn't blessed with blistering pace, so baba doesn't even bother
Didnt see this.
It’s hit and miss in Africa and you raise a general point I’ve been pondering for a while.
Could this be one reason why the minnows with no big names are effectively challenging the bigger teams at AFCON?

Just a thought.
I totally agree. The likes of Mane and Sallah are struggling. Partey legit looked like the slowest player in the tournament. When you come to Africa, you need to adjust your game, unless you are on another level like Simon
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Sadiq Umar has been in the Spanish second division since 2020 playing for Almeria. They failed to secure promotion last season. The Rumour was that Sadiq would move clubs but it did not happened.

I made it a point to watch as many of Almeria games as possible and honestly the standard in the Spanish second division is low. I also think Sadiq is playing at his appropriate level. I think the only way Sadiq will play in La liga is if Almeria gets promoted which is a strong possibility as the team are currently top of the league leading by 3 points.

I was not surprised by Sadiq performance yesterday as that is how he plays for his club but he doesn’t have to press as much as he does for Nigeria. Also his club do not play the long balls up to him to hold up. The ball is played to feet and the pace of play is not as frantic as other leagues the climate in Spain is generally warm so he able to cope.

The two main strikers Nigeria has for this tournament is Awoniyi and Sadiq this is their opportunity to make the position permanent. It was important that they scored against Sudan (Awoniyi) and Bissau (Sadiq). Nigeria cannot afford a non scoring striker
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

We have to make do obviously, but going forward the likes of Onauchu and Dressers should get his spot.
hit or miss first touch too. Sadiq is not it. He plays almost as if he's teenager that just had a growth spurt.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:32 am
Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 am
Didnt see this.

Just a thought.
I totally agree. The likes of Mane and Sallah are struggling. Partey legit looked like the slowest player in the tournament. When you come to Africa, you need to adjust your game, unless you are on another level like Simon
I’m with airwolex on this one, he definitely has been out paced and out hustled and seems shocked by not being able to out-physical everybody easily. Look at the slow step over he tried in the 3rd minute attempting to create space in the box, seemed shocked how easily the defender just squashed the whole play. He clearly has talent and I was a big fan but it doesn’t seem like he’s yet at the desired level, mind you we are playing some of the lowest teams in the tournament. I shudder to think how he will attempt to out-physical CIV or Senegalese defenders. Hopefully he proves me wrong and that goal ends up being the perfect launching pad for the rest of his tournament.

But man this game so reminded me of Onuachus embarrassing cameo vs Brazil trying to do those his slow moves and how easily they just took the ball from him to trying to score from halfway only to send a shot closer to throw in. But damn that was Brazil, this is some ‘useless’ Guinea fowl…
Last edited by maceo4 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am
airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am
The question is, why?

Just watch his games. I’ve been posting about him for over a year.
He is used just as Egu is using him.
The issue is that he needs to ‘tune in’ better to the SE team and the African game in general.
I keep saying that his style is deceptive.

You think he is ‘slow’ right?
You’ll be shocked. He is not slow at all. Give him half a yard of space and it’s all over.

You think he’s ‘clumsy’.
Understandable, but once he gets his rhythm going, you’ll be very surprised at the sublime things he can do with his feet, including finishing.

You think he is featherweight?
That’s the physicality of the African game he may not be experiencing in La Segunda.
He needs to work on that.

But you are right. There is plenty of competition so he needs to start delivering.
That gentleman is slow and lacks power. He may be fast for the European game, but he's not fast for the African game. Noone has the short burst of Simon, but watch Awoniyi after 5 strides, and he's leaving defenders behind, even in the African game. Sadiq, no. The young man is not it at all. He needs more coordination and pure power. hit the gym or something.

As a striker, you have to have one thing you do really well. For Sadiq, what is it?
Finishing? No
technique? No
Pace? No
Power? No
Shooting? No
Hold-up play? No
Hustle? No
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

amafolas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 am
As a striker, you have to have one thing you do really well. For Sadiq, what is it?
Finishing? No
technique? No
Pace? No
Power? No
Shooting? No
Hold-up play? No
Hustle? No
This alone tells me you have your mind made up and are not ready for a fair discussion.
Its okay. :thumb:
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:42 pm
Finishing? No
technique? No
Pace? No
Power? No
Shooting? No
Hold-up play? No
Hustle? No
This alone tells me you have your mind made up and are not ready for a fair discussion.
no what's obvious, you are so invested in the young man, you are incapable of evaluating him objectively. He's still a young guy. I haven't watched him enough to project what he would be like in the future.

But currently and what I have seen so far in his performances for Nigeria, everything I have said is what I gleaned from his performance. He has no stand-out ability and is miles behind what Awoniyi brings to the table. The gentleman really could use some gym time. I really think more power will add a lot more to his game. He plays like someone that's still growing into his body

If you disagree, please show proof. Bullying some wimpy white boys in segunda is not what I will consider pace/power.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:56 am
ANC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:16 am Sadiq is not ready
Sadiq has what many would describe as a ‘languid’ style. It comes with the deceptive perception of laziness.
Players like our own Nwankwo Kanu, England’s Matt Le Tissier and Peter Crouch all suffered limited international careers for this reason (except Kanu who still had his critics though). Same with the phenomenally gifted Glen Hoddle. Their relatively ‘long’ legs was part of the problem. They all ended up having their talents under appreciated.

Sadiq is actually very skillful but has to sort his legs out and learn how to deal with the ‘hustle’ of the African game. I suspect moving to La Liga next season - as is likely - will make or break him.
It’s a little too easy for him in the Segunda for now.
The emboldened is his main problem, same with Nwakali who does not cover much ground. Their lack of energy and hustle is affecting their careers. They are finding it too easy in the lower division. You can't be coasting at the top level especially not at international level.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:42 pm
Finishing? No
technique? No
Pace? No
Power? No
Shooting? No
Hold-up play? No
Hustle? No
Clearly, he has his mind made up. I watched the game and I certainly don't share all those No, No.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics