Eguavoen is playing Iwobi & Iheanacho wrongly says Okocha

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Eguavoen is playing Iwobi & Iheanacho wrongly says Okocha

Post by Synopsis »

Jay Jay Okocha says Iwobi plays better as a 10 than as a winger and Iheanacho should be played up top.

Do you agree?

https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2022/01/ ... -explains/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavoen is playing Iwobi & Iheanacho wrongly says Okocha

Post by Enugu II »

Synopsis wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:59 pm Jay Jay Okocha says Iwobi plays better as a 10 than as a winger and Iheanacho should be played up top.

Do you agree?

I agree. Same issues with Rohr in the early days until Rohr realized that Iwobi was much better in the middle.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

I disagree, they play the middle differently. Iheanacho just doesn't work as a line-leading striker. But he's decent at assisting and excellent at finishing. He's exactly a support striker. Iwobi is an AM, who will assist more than he scores. It really depends on what the coach is looking for out of the position. does he need someone with a threat to score or someone that can create. With the likes of Awoniyi and Sadiq as the striker who are not exactly the best finishers, I would continue with Iheanacho
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

amafolas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm I disagree, they play the middle differently. Iheanacho just doesn't work as a line-leading striker. But he's decent at assisting and excellent at finishing. He's exactly a support striker. Iwobi is an AM, who will assist more than he scores. It really depends on what the coach is looking for out of the position. does he need someone with a threat to score or someone that can create. With the likes of Awoniyi and Sadiq as the striker who are not exactly the best finishers, I would continue with Iheanacho
The problem though is Egu claimed that Nigerua needed to use the wings more to create havoc presumably with runs and crosses. We have seen it amply with Simon. That is not Iwobi's game so why stick him out there? Why was he magnificent in the second game when he came in but not so much in this game?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Synopsis wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:59 pm Jay Jay Okocha says Iwobi plays better as a 10 than as a winger and Iheanacho should be played up top.

Do you agree?

He plays the number 10 better than Kelechi. But he still needs to get back his old form. It is obvious he is lacking a bit of confidence and strength.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm

Do you agree?

He plays the number 10 better than Kelechi. But he still needs to get back his old form. It is obvious he is lacking a bit of confidence and strength.
Understandable. If you think of it, he is the only one from Rohr's preferred team at this competition who has gone from starter to being a bench player. He is human.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Iwobi needs to take a long hard look at himself. He is playing the exact position he plays at his club. I watch Everton just because of him and he is behind Townsend, who is close to 40, and Gordon who is in his first full season. He should be benching those guys easily.

I don't buy the argument that he is being used wrongly. He is not in form. Senior man is a better 10 on current form.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:19 pm
amafolas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm I disagree, they play the middle differently. Iheanacho just doesn't work as a line-leading striker. But he's decent at assisting and excellent at finishing. He's exactly a support striker. Iwobi is an AM, who will assist more than he scores. It really depends on what the coach is looking for out of the position. does he need someone with a threat to score or someone that can create. With the likes of Awoniyi and Sadiq as the striker who are not exactly the best finishers, I would continue with Iheanacho
The problem though is Egu claimed that Nigerua needed to use the wings more to create havoc presumably with runs and crosses. We have seen it amply with Simon. That is not Iwobi's game so why stick him out there? Why was he magnificent in the second game when he came in but not so much in this game?
I don't see the problem you do. Iwobi's game is more cerebral than the other wing options who tend to be more reliant on speed/dribble. Iwobi's game is predicated on pass and move, and combo play. The other wings are nearly all dribble, speed and create chaos. You can have both wings be that or you can have one wing be that and the other wing be a link-up type player like Iwobi. I like all the options we have. It gives us a lot of versatility to play multiple attacking styles.

I still agree with Egu, in the absencee of a reliable run-behind, clinical finisher, Iheanacho who carries a goal threat himself, makes a lot of sense. Iwobi is also not currently in the best of form, while Iheanacho is. The goal against Egypt and the excellent assist yesterday backs up the coach's choice. We are scoring goals folks. What's there to complain about.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

amafolas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:41 pm
I don't see the problem you do. Iwobi's game is more cerebral than the other wing options who tend to be more reliant on speed/dribble. Iwobi's game is predicated on pass and move, and combo play. The other wings are nearly all dribble, speed and create chaos. You can have both wings be that or you can have one wing be that and the other wing be a link-up type player like Iwobi. I like all the options we have. It gives us a lot of versatility to play multiple attacking styles.
My exact thought on Iwobi on the wings. However, I feel if you play Iwobi on the wings you need to pair him with an aggressive overlapping full back that is very good with link-up plays. I think Aina-Iwobi combo should be effective enough if we get to see that again but frankly I can't wait for Chukwueze to hit form so some teams can hear real wen in Cameroon.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Do you agree?

I was having a similar conversation with a friend of mine about the ideal lineup based on the players available at this tourney.

I think Kelechi at some point should be played as an out-and-out striker (9). Have Aribo as a true 10, play both Onyeka and Ndidi.

Or just play Iwobi at 10 to support Kelechi... and leave Aribo in his role as a deep-lying playmaker.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dont think you can say something is 'wrong' if its getting the desired results for the team. This might be a case of JJ looking out for his kin but the coach has to do whats best for the team and not whats best for Iwobi...potentially to the detriment of the team. And I'm sure Iwobi understands this. He still gets chances to come in field and create but also shouldn't be a stranger to the wide positions as every club he's played at has mainly seen it fit to play him out there. Playing there we won bronze at the last ANC and I'm sure he would mind sacrificing playing in that position to win silver or gold...

And I don't know what JJ means by 'right' position, b/c they are actually being played in similar positions that they play week in week out at their clubs and nobody calls it a wrong position when Iwobi is out wide left/right whenever he plays or when Kelechi is used behind Vardy or Daka and - in fact had one of his best seasons at Leicester playing there.
Last edited by maceo4 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The second game even though he was deployed wide, his best moments came when he drifted inwards.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm Iwobi needs to take a long hard look at himself. He is playing the exact position he plays at his club. I watch Everton just because of him and he is behind Townsend, who is close to 40, and Gordon who is in his first full season. He should be benching those guys easily.

I don't buy the argument that he is being used wrongly. He is not in form. Senior man is a better 10 on current form.
Senior man has his strengths but with his piss poor touch, he can never be a better 10 than Iwobi. He messed up a sure goal again with his poor touch against GB.

Kelechis goals will make him hard to drop but I'm not convinced we wouldn't do better with Iwobi in that position.
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

Iwobi is not playing well enough for the team to be built around his preferred position. That is partly the issue that plagues him at club-level as well. We can alter the formation a bit and find creative tactical solutions for Kelechi because he is consistently scoring and assisting. Alex will have to fill in wherever there is a spot for him, this is reserve/utility players do. Credit to Iwobi, for coming a working hard nd contributing in whatever position he plays, that has been a constant in his career.

For what it is worth, I think Iwobi's best position would actually be in a midfield three. He started his career as an attacking player, but he is not really quick or dynamic at all anymore. His talents are that he is strong, hard-working, a good forward passer, and talented at holding people of the ball.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:02 pm
airwolex wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm Iwobi needs to take a long hard look at himself. He is playing the exact position he plays at his club. I watch Everton just because of him and he is behind Townsend, who is close to 40, and Gordon who is in his first full season. He should be benching those guys easily.

Senior man has his strengths but with his piss poor touch, he can never be a better 10 than Iwobi. He messed up a sure goal again with his poor touch against GB.

Kelechis goals will make him hard to drop but I'm not convinced we wouldn't do better with Iwobi in that position.
His poor touch hasn't stopped Kele from creating loads of chances for the strikers in this tourney, coupled with his goal scoring threat, theres no way he'd be dropped for Iwobi...even more so since he's part of Egu's 'spine'...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

olumide wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm Iwobi is not playing well enough for the team to be built around his preferred position. That is partly the issue that plagues him at club-level as well. We can alter the formation a bit and find creative tactical solutions for Kelechi because he is consistently scoring and assisting. Alex will have to fill in wherever there is a spot for him, this is reserve/utility players do. Credit to Iwobi, for coming a working hard nd contributing in whatever position he plays, that has been a constant in his career.

For what it is worth, I think Iwobi's best position would actually be in a midfield three. He started his career as an attacking player, but he is not really quick or dynamic at all anymore. His talents are that he is strong, hard-working, a good forward passer, and talented at holding people of the ball.
+1
Super Eagus 4 Life!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

olumide wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm Iwobi is not playing well enough for the team to be built around his preferred position. That is partly the issue that plagues him at club-level as well. We can alter the formation a bit and find creative tactical solutions for Kelechi because he is consistently scoring and assisting. Alex will have to fill in wherever there is a spot for him, this is reserve/utility players do. Credit to Iwobi, for coming a working hard nd contributing in whatever position he plays, that has been a constant in his career.

I liked this post. You yarn correct
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Iwobi is a defensive liability. Iheanacho is a far better defensive player. Another thing is iheanacho passes better in the final third. The bedrock of eguavoens strategy is a solid central midfield, sharp attack in last third. No 9 is just there to pick up loose balls in the box.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Iheanacho has never performed well as an out and out striker. We all saw it in Russia. Musa had to drift in to score the goals while Kele could not hold the ball up. I will stick with Awoniyi whose physicality and hustle keeps the opposition CBs on their toes. As an AM, Iheanacho does not tackle or win the ball. He only represents a significant goal threat from his position and he can be lethal. As for Iwobi, I only see him as a sub for a tired Kele at the moment. Egu said we thrive on good wingers and he is right. Moses is doing it on the left. Maybe he should have gone for Musa on the right. Chukwueze on the right keeps cutting in rather than hitting the lines and Ejuke (for his speed) against Egypt was drifting in. Right wingers like the Finidis, Odegbamis and Babangidas did not do that. They hit the lines and supplied deadly crosses. We are still a work in progress.
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Cellular wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 pm

Do you agree?

I was having a similar conversation with a friend of mine about the ideal lineup based on the players available at this tourney.

I think Kelechi at some point should be played as an out-and-out striker (9). Have Aribo as a true 10, play both Onyeka and Ndidi.

Or just play Iwobi at 10 to support Kelechi... and leave Aribo in his role as a deep-lying playmaker.
For his creativity and his goal threat, what impresses me about Aribo is that he tackles, wins the ball and set up transitions. From his deep position almost alongside Ndidi, you find him next in the opposition's box 18 threatening to score. He is my star revelation.
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:54 pm Dont think you can say something is 'wrong' if its getting the desired results for the team.
Depends really... there's usually scope for improvement and it's possible to win without everything and every player working effectively.

In Egu's 4-4-2 as we've seen it, Iwobi can be used out wide; or possibly behind the striker. We won't see the best of him out wide.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Goldleaf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:32 pm Iheanacho has never performed well as an out and out striker. We all saw it in Russia. Musa had to drift in to score the goals while Kele could not hold the ball up. I will stick with Awoniyi whose physicality and hustle keeps the opposition CBs on their toes. As an AM, Iheanacho does not tackle or win the ball. He only represents a significant goal threat from his position and he can be lethal. As for Iwobi, I only see him as a sub for a tired Kele at the moment. Egu said we thrive on good wingers and he is right. Moses is doing it on the left. Maybe he should have gone for Musa on the right. Chukwueze on the right keeps cutting in rather than hitting the lines and Ejuke (for his speed) against Egypt was drifting in. Right wingers like the Finidis, Odegbamis and Babangidas did not do that. They hit the lines and supplied deadly crosses. We are still a work in progress.
That sort of delivery tends to be provided by full backs in the modern game.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:44 pm
maceo4 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:54 pm Dont think you can say something is 'wrong' if its getting the desired results for the team.
Depends really... there's usually scope for improvement and it's possible to win without everything and every player working effectively.

In Egu's 4-4-2 as we've seen it, Iwobi can be used out wide; or possibly behind the striker. We won't see the best of him out wide.
Yea, but is it about him or the team? I definitely think Kelly is better than him in that position and his end product will be much better than Iwobi. Kelly is working for the team and creating bags of chances from both open play and set pieces, so it’s odd to me to be looking for ‘improvement’ in a position where we are currently excelling at. I get it if Kelly was not playing well then the case can be made for who to replace him…also Iwobi hasn’t looked poor out wide also so I don’t see the point of this discussion except for maybe nepotism???
Super Eagus 4 Life!