Nigeria 0 vs Tunisia 1 2nd Round AfCON 2022

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 0 vs Tunisia 1 2nd Round AfCON 2022

Post by The YeyeMan »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:00 pm
theYemster wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 pm
chif456 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pm That was such a poor goal to concede. That red looked worse on replays. It was just not our day at the office.
The red card was deserved. Players know refs have been told to clamp down on such play so not sure why Iwobi did it.
Wrong.
It was a red card. The ref only looked at the VAR for a few seconds before giving it.
It's only a red card at AFCON. No serious ref gives a red there.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Benedict Iroha wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 pm Imagine winning all games only to lose to a 3rd ranking team.
It's very bad, I swear. I hate this loss, especially because it was to a THIRD place team
Last edited by Odas on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

With our flanks cut out, Iwobi would have made a difference if he had stayed on.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm
chif456 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pm That was such a poor goal to concede. That red looked worse on replays. It was just not our day at the office.
The red card was deserved. Players know refs have been told to clamp down on such play so not sure why Iwobi did it.
Wrong.
Straight RED homie!

Its not!

Go and watch the Chelsea Spurs game today for a tackle on Malang Sarr
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Alategun
Egg
Egg

Post by Alategun »

I thought we didn't play to our strength. Rushed to bomb aimlessly forward every time we got the ball from back to front 1st half. We should have used the midfield more and be patient. Midfield should have commanded the ball more. We played better 2nd half. I hope we keep Egu. Fir better for worse, need to trust our coaches. Send them out for frequent training.
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

I'm not sure what Iwobi would have done differently other than not go for the ball. He was turning and he had some control. The other player lunged in...
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

:clap:
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:05 pm
Wrong.
It was a red card. The ref only looked at the VAR for a few seconds before giving it.
You will watch it again and change your mind.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

icee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 pm A lesson in humility and big picture. I need a cool off nap
Yep. After that third group game, we were beginning to sound like England with all the mouth we were making. I am surprised some people were not singing "It's comin' 'ome."

This sort of thing happens a lot: teams can be outstanding in the group phase, then go on to lose in the knockout. Other teams can be lousy in the group phase and go on to win the tournament. It happens. It's football. It's not mathematics. :idea:
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:38 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:38 pm
txj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 pm Tunisia playing modern football. making the ball work
+1000.

Yup. Simple
dats it
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Play

GK
AINA EKONG BALOGUN SANUSI

NDIDI ONYEKA/BONKE

DENNIS ARIBO SIMON

OSHIMEN

That’s the strongest team we can put out….

The earlier we put 4-4-2 to bed the better

that’s th
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:00 pm Eguaveon just said "You can not change the style of play in the middle of a tournament" Haba coach... you need to have alternatives plans if you get neutralized.
Difficult for a coach appointed days to the tournament. What could he have done?

Okoye gifted them a goal.

Iwobi was introduced to change things and he got a RED card.

Some players need to improve drastically

1) Kelechi with his first touch
2) Simon Moses and his dribbles. You dont have to always dribble.

The RED card was unfair!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kai, my AFCON don finish be dat, menh!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Well, the Tunisians had a good game plan on how to stop us.
They didn't have a plan on how to break us down... they were hoping on luck. And they got lucky.

But this loss starts with how you manage 3rd games that are rubber matches in a tournament you are still trying to build team chemistry.

You feel you can just turn it back on. We should have learned all the way back with Paraguay.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm
Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 pm
txj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 pm
charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm Enough blame to go around but if we are to have any dreams of beating Ghana, Okoye cannot be our goalie. He's not mature for the responsibility.
I have to admit, Okoye is not ready. That goal was on him.
Its back to Francis as #1 in my opinion. Maduka will have other chances, but he needs to progress first before he can win back the #1 jersey.

The flight of the ball switched on him, but modern GKs should expect that from the balls in use today.

But there were MULTIPLE ERRORS before that shot, starting with Aina, then Ndidi, then Ekong....
Will you STOP this NONSENSE about blaming multiple players.

A goalie's job is to stop such routine balls.

The bobo no try at all...

You expect him to stop such balls.

PERIODT!
I dont think TXJ is absolving Maduka. He is just saying there are other players that made errors leading to the attempt,...and he is right.

That said, Maduka was only really tested once in this tourney, and he failed. So he gets to lose his 1st place goalie,..IMO.

Salah save

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 pm
I don't think it was done intentionally. It was 'accidental foul', but it was bad.
That's my guess as well. Looked like he tried to shield the ball by stamping down and blocking out the opponent, but the Tunisia player put his leg underneath. It was unintentional but dangerous play. Red card is for dangerous play, intentional or not.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Tunisia came with a strategy to play for a draw or nick it...and it worked out this time.
We need more options...shooting from outside, quick release of the ball in the final third, etc to counter such strategies.
Awoniyi needs to concentrate on his club career. And Olayinka, thank you for coming out!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:06 pm :clap:
Wrong.
I've seen it. It's not a red card. But whatever.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

The truth of the matter is that to get to the final you need every member of the team to play a pivotal role. Some games the strikers bail you out, some days the midfielders/ defenders and goalies. Today was the day we needed Okoye and he failed us. Sorry to say Enyeama will never miss that. Live to fight another day. Gdluck to SE. I am out! See you in March
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:06 pm :clap:
Wrong.
Lolly, u have played football and you say that’s a red…..???really

Iwobi played the ball before he step on the player….player ran into that tackle and made the most of it….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

The red to Iwobi finished us. The game was made for him. The middle of the Tunisian defense was like a freeway. Say, the ball was often falling to Ndidi. He's not exactly known for creativity. Iwobi would have passed to Sadiq on the ball Ndidi chose to shoot. Oh well! Hopefully WC qualification can heal my wounds.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 pm Well, the Tunisians had a good game plan on how to stop us.
They didn't have a plan on how to break us down... they were hoping on luck. And they got lucky.

But this loss starts with how you manage 3rd games that are rubber matches in a tournament you are still trying to build team chemistry.

You feel you can just turn it back on. We should have learned all the way back with Paraguay.

They did bro.

The used their press in CM to break us down in not allowing us to develop play centrally.
Then stopped the primitive tactic of having Simon play like Sir Stanley Rous...

And they did break us in defence with the 3rd man run

They executed very well.

Got the break with the goal, but a very good performance

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

txj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 pm
charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm
Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 pm
txj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 pm
charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm Enough blame to go around but if we are to have any dreams of beating Ghana, Okoye cannot be our goalie. He's not mature for the responsibility.
I have to admit, Okoye is not ready. That goal was on him.
Its back to Francis as #1 in my opinion. Maduka will have other chances, but he needs to progress first before he can win back the #1 jersey.

The flight of the ball switched on him, but modern GKs should expect that from the balls in use today.

But there were MULTIPLE ERRORS before that shot, starting with Aina, then Ndidi, then Ekong....
Will you STOP this NONSENSE about blaming multiple players.

A goalie's job is to stop such routine balls.

The bobo no try at all...

You expect him to stop such balls.

PERIODT!
I dont think TXJ is absolving Maduka. He is just saying there are other players that made errors leading to the attempt,...and he is right.

That said, Maduka was only really tested once in this tourney, and he failed. So he gets to lose his 1st place goalie,..IMO.

Salah save

Barely a save, the defense was there to recover the ball if it got past Maduka.
That said, he did slow the ball down with his feet, so I see you point.

I still think Maduka needs much much more polishing. He is too shaky.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

ohsee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:06 pm
icee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 pm A lesson in humility and big picture. I need a cool off nap
Yep. After that third group game, we were beginning to sound like England with all the mouth we were making. I am surprised some people were not singing "It's comin' 'ome."

This sort of thing happens a lot: teams can be outstanding in the group phase, then go on to lose in the knockout. Other teams can be lousy in the group phase and go on to win the tournament. It happens. It's football. It's not mathematics. :idea:
Fans will always brag. CE and Nigerian twitter isn’t to blame for the player’s mentality. It’s unprofessional and immature for players and coaches to get too confident.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!