Nigeria 0 vs Tunisia 1 2nd Round AfCON 2022

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 0 vs Tunisia 1 2nd Round AfCON 2022

Post by Odas »

If una tok finish, all I no be say my AFCON do end be dis. I am in pain, big one.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

mystic wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:17 pm There are some days where you lose and just have to congratulate your opponent. Today is one of them. Okoye gave up a soft goal and our wingers kept dribbling into cul-de-sacs.

Congrats to Tunisia 🇹🇳! They played a great game. On to the World Cup playoffs.
I agree ,we need a better goalkeeper ..that I agree with
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:17 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:11 pm
charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 pm
txj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 pm
charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm Enough blame to go around but if we are to have any dreams of beating Ghana, Okoye cannot be our goalie. He's not mature for the responsibility.
I have to admit, Okoye is not ready. That goal was on him.
Its back to Francis as #1 in my opinion. Maduka will have other chances, but he needs to progress first before he can win back the #1 jersey.

The flight of the ball switched on him, but modern GKs should expect that from the balls in use today.

But there were MULTIPLE ERRORS before that shot, starting with Aina, then Ndidi, then Ekong....
True he was blindsided by the movement on the ball, but it went into the net because he has soft hands and didnt push the ball well out of danger. I have seen other goalies in this tournament make similar saves with much more ease.

But you are right, his defense let him down tostart by allowing room for Tunisia to shoot in the first place.
If a keeper cannot save that then he is not FIT to be a National Team keeper. I don't think there is any keeper that has performed as poorly as Okoye! :boo: Watch the other National Team keepers.

Hopefully he will improve.
Several world class keepers like De Gea have howlers and they are national team keepers. You can easily find them on youtube Should he have saved it, certainly, but That shot was not an easy to to save.
If Maduka had proven he was a clear cut choice above Uzoho, I would agree with you. But competition for the 1st place jersey in GK for SE is very tight and if a GK fails an assignment, there has to be consequences, or there shall be no competition.

Uzoho lost his place in the last Afcon against Algeria because of his positioning on the Mahrez FK. Only fair for him to be given another chance after Maduka has failed at a similar test.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Sadly I saw the handwriting in the first half before I signed out. The team has too many passengers who just get ball and lay it off to whoever is open and none pass it back or woof it. The creativity in the team is too scanty so when they meet crafty teams, they were always gonna struggle. Players like Ndidi, Simon, Aribo, iheanacho, and Aina are limited but the easy group games flattered them. This game called for the big boys, the athletic boys that can run not flat footed players like Ekong, Iheanacho, Ndidi etc. Anyway half of the players in the current SE setup don't belong in my view and that's Rohrs fault. The team is loaded with players nit athletic ir creative enough.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

charlie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:23 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm Enough blame to go around but if we are to have any dreams of beating Ghana, Okoye cannot be our goalie. He's not mature for the responsibility.
Its back to Francis as #1 in my opinion. Maduka will have other chances, but he needs to progress first before he can win back the #1 jersey.

The flight of the ball switched on him, but modern GKs should expect that from the balls in use today.

But there were MULTIPLE ERRORS before that shot, starting with Aina, then Ndidi, then Ekong....
True he was blindsided by the movement on the ball, but it went into the net because he has soft hands and didnt push the ball well out of danger. I have seen other goalies in this tournament make similar saves with much more ease.

But you are right, his defense let him down tostart by allowing room for Tunisia to shoot in the first place.
If a keeper cannot save that then he is not FIT to be a National Team keeper. I don't think there is any keeper that has performed as poorly as Okoye! :boo: Watch the other National Team keepers.

Several world class keepers like De Gea have howlers and they are national team keepers. You can easily find them on youtube Should he have saved it, certainly, but That shot was not an easy to to save.
If Maduka had proven he was a clear cut choice above Uzoho, I would agree with you. But competition for the 1st place jersey in GK for SE is very tight and if a GK fails an assignment, there has to be consequences, or there shall be no competition.

Uzoho lost his place in the last Afcon against Algeria because of his positioning on the Mahrez FK. Only fair for him to be given another chance after Maduka has failed at a similar test.
No bro. It wasn't Uzoho. It was Akpeyi
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm
olumide wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:59 pm Ehh, disappointing loss, but the problems that we know this team has came to the fore today. There isn't a top class keeper in the pool. Okoye and Uzoho have potential, but for now that is all. None of the defenders is reliable. I love Aina's and Zaidu's game when they are bombing forward, but defensively, both make mistakes defensively. Ekong is error-prone, Omeruo is limited.

Still, this is the sort of game where Osimhen, Victor Moses type players will bail you out. We don't have that sort of player right now. Iheanacho is inconsistent, everyone knows this. Sadiq, Awoniyi, and Olayinka have their qualities, but none are really of the quality to be starting upfront consistently for Nigeria, tbh. Badly need Victor and even Onuachu back.

Tunisia were the better side, and earned the win. There is a lot to build from here and we have qualifiers for the WC in less than two months and another AFCON in 18. We have to just move forward.
I agree with most of the above, but Onuachu doesnt add anything that the likes of Awoniyi and Sadiq dont offer IMO.
I agree with that he is not the player we need in general play, but if you ask me which Nigerian I want to finish a chance, he would be right there with Iheanacho and Osimhen. Even in the games we dominated, striker play wasn't good enough in the box. I have a lot of time for Taiwo, his hustle is great, but I don't see a natural goal scorer there, unless he is just running in behind and smashing it, he has very little finesse. Sadiq is ALWAYS clumsy and or wanting an extra moment or touch (at least in this tournament). He played well today, but really should have been much more decisive in finishing and passing. A goal down in knockout rounds, I want a player that will take one chance if it comes to him.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:16 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm
tolahs wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm In tournament ball, as you go further in the rounds - levels of intensity cannot afford to dip. You play with urgency from the start with full awareness of the dark arts - Tunisia came in as the underdog, seeking an early goal which then gives them the option to play on the counter(legit strategy). Equavoen said in not so many words in the pre-match conference about intensity, respect & sharing the ball - we need to get away from hero ball!!!
WE BEAT OURSELVES AGAIN.
I always suspected resting majority of the players for our last game against GB would make them a bit sluggish in their first game back. That’s almost a week off in a tournament.
If they played and get injured you will say something different.

Tunisia did not seek for an early goal. They came to contain the SE and hope to counter. OKoye gifted them a goal and the dynamics changed.

Things became worse when your impact sub is giving a RED card.
We were not sharp enough in the first half. We should have bullied them a bit and given them something to think about. We didn’t.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Uzoho lost his spot due to injury. He was not in goal against Algeria.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:18 pm

But bros, we know other people made an error, but their errors didn't lead directly to a goal. He is the last line of defense and there is no way a NT keeper should be getting beat by a shot like that. I haven't seen it in this tourney, even with keepers playing in the most useless leagues...

His positioning was poor and he started going to his right before the ball bounce and swerved on him. He was certainly at fault for conceding the goal. No one is absolving him of that. But equally at fault were the players who dove in and those who did not close down on Mskani allowing him to take a shot like that on goal.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

omey2k4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:22 pm
mystic wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:17 pm There are some days where you lose and just have to congratulate your opponent. Today is one of them. Okoye gave up a soft goal and our wingers kept dribbling into cul-de-sacs.

Congrats to Tunisia 🇹🇳! They played a great game. On to the World Cup playoffs.
I agree ,we need a better goalkeeper ..that I agree with
Well, I did tell y’all that Ezenwa is better than the 2 young kids…❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

That was Akpeyi
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

All in all I see a Cameroon vs Ivory Coast final, with Ivory Coast winning the AFCON.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 pm I am extremely disappointed but that’s football for you. The worst part of this loss is that Rohr undeservedly gets the last laugh… and even qualifying for the World Cup suddenly seems like a mirage. How did things suddenly go from extremely promising to hopeless❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Thats what you Rohr haters really dont get. Rohr is very likely in pain as well with the exit of Nigeria. These SE players were also his boys. He coached them for 5 years. How can you laugh when your players have been humiliated?

This whole sordid mess is on Pinnik and the NFF. As I said, they should not have rushed to fire Rohr, but instead have looked to strengthen the team for the AFCON. That said, I do think we lucked into a competent coach in Eguavon, and he should be kept on.

The worst thing we can do now is panic and overhaul our coaching staff again,...which is very likely what Pinnik will do.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

But do we keep going back and forth between both of them? Go and read the Guinea Bissau game from three days ago and see what people said about Uzoho after he parried a save in front of him. :D These kids are very raw and will undergo growing pains.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Keepers do have howlers. SO not unusual.

Keepers like De Gea has single handedly won matches for their teams! Okoye has not done that. More like the only time he was call to action he FAILED.

He is young. He will improve. But I find it strange that he is the BEST that Nigeria have.

Looking at this AFCON, I don't think there is any team whose keeper is not better than ours!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mystic wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:26 pm

Uzoho lost his spot due to injury. He was not in goal against Algeria.
Exactly! It was Akpeyi (1Naija's favorite) who was in goal in that game
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 pm

That was Akpeyi
You are right,...my bad.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Keepers like De Gea has single handedly won matches for their teams! Okoye has not done that. More like the only time he was call to action he FAILED.

He is young. He will improve. But I find it strange that he is the BEST that Nigeria have.

Looking at this AFCON, I don't think there is any team whose keeper is not better than ours!
And thats the million dollar issue that we still have to resolve. Its a problem that predated Egu and will be a problem for him or the next manager to resolve. I cant imagine that throwing in a completely new Gk right before the Ghana qualifiers will be an option for them.

visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 pm All in all I see a Cameroon vs Ivory Coast final, with Ivory Coast winning the AFCON.
Not so sure.
Morrocco is quite good.

The Arab teams have very good strategy.
They are not too big, not too strong but skillful and quick.

Let's wait and see.

I pray Nigeria doesn't think Ghana will be easy.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 pm I am extremely disappointed but that’s football for you. The worst part of this loss is that Rohr undeservedly gets the last laugh… and even qualifying for the World Cup suddenly seems like a mirage. How did things suddenly go from extremely promising to hopeless❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Nothing is hopeless. This teams was given ZERO chance before the ANC and has shown that the core of the team is still very solid, and can play good football. There is no team that will go undefeated, you just build on your defeats and go from there.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

metalalloy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:30 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 pm

And thats the million dollar issue that we still have to resolve. Its a problem that predated Egu and will be a problem for him or the next manager to resolve. I cant imagine that throwing in a completely new Gk right before the Ghana qualifiers will be an option for them.

We have not been able to develop GKs locally.

Just watch any of our local teams or the youth NTs
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Officiating was bad. That was no red card. Iwobi went for the ball and accidentally caught the Tunisia player. Nigeria underaged Tunisia. Went away from what they were doing well like one touch passing and wing player. We don't have a good striker if Osimhen is not playing.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:34 pm Officiating was bad. That was no red card. Iwobi went for the ball and accidentally caught the Tunisia player. Nigeria underaged Tunisia. Went away from what they were doing well like one touch passing and wing player. We don't have a good striker if Osimhen is not playing.
with his studs up. Thats a red. If it was against a Nigerian player, you would cry for a red too.