We were taught a footballing lesson

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
We were taught a footballing lesson

Post by airwolex »

This Tunisians did a number on us and we played into their hands.

In hindsight we were too over reliant on Simon and their game plan was to shut him and Chukwueze down. Once that was done, it was up to our midfielders, Aribo and Iheanacho to step up and they had an off day.

I kept waiting for Simon to explode or the Tunisians to lose concentration, but they never did.

It was abit embarrassing to see how one dimensional we were, but perhaps this is good, so we can prepare for Ghana.

Good job by our boys. We mooove
Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: We were taught a footballing lesson

Post by Igugu »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm This Tunisians did a number on us and we played into their hands.

In hindsight we were too over reliant on Simon and their game plan was to shut him and Chukwueze down. Once that was done, it was up to our midfielders, Aribo and Iheanacho to step up and they had an off day.

I kept waiting for Simon to explode or the Tunisians to lose concentration, but they never did.

It was abit embarrassing to see how one dimensional we were, but perhaps this is good, so we can prepare for Ghana.

Good job by our boys. We mooove
Good observation. I expected Moses to dribble/carry the ball into the Tunisian 18 by all means and at least hope the desperate Tunisian defense brings him down, but he did not do that.
We should have brought in Nwakali instead of Musa. But it is all over now. Next game, please.
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

I disagree.
The eagles played well.
The coach to me is the problem...not the players.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria stopped doing the right things.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

taught by an assistant coach. just shameful.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

They didn't have to shut Samu down, he wasn't gonna do ish anyways...was a good tactic to shut Simon down, but in the Egypt game they tried the same thing after Simon had been tormenting them and Zaidu then started joining in attack making it harder to just focus on Simon, but today Zaidu barely attacked, it was so weird...
Last edited by maceo4 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

visieC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm I disagree.
The eagles played well.
Totally :agree:
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The eagles played well.
A weird thing to say...they played well but the coach doesn't get credit for them playing well?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damn! My AFCON don finish be dis-ooo, kai
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 pm They didn't have to shut Samu down, he wasn't gonna do ish anyways...was a good tactic to shut Simon down, but in the Egypt game they tried the same thing after Simon had been tormenting them and Zaidu then started joining in attack making it harder to just focus on Simon, but today Zaidu barely attacked, it was so weird...
Yep. I said as much. Aina and Zaidu should have attacked much but they never did. I guess every one was relying on Simon including the wingbacks. Plus, i can't state this enough, Senior man and Aribo just did not do enough. The wings were choked, work it through the middle a bit. Senior mans experiment as a number 10 might be over. For someone who strikes the ball so well, his control is so bad. Na wa o
Last edited by airwolex on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 pm They didn't have to shut Samu down, he wasn't gonna do ish anyways...was a good tactic to shut Simon down, but in the Egypt game they tried the same thing after Simon had been tormenting them and Zaidu then started joining in attack making it harder to just focus on Simon, but today Zaidu barely attacked, it was so weird...
That’s the downfall of 4-4-2….

Remember the Egu video….on YouTube….that basically is what any coach will play for his players….

Their plan….wing play….it’s old and outdated….double team the wings play 4-3-3 and let the 3 upfront keep the full backs busy and the 3 in midfield double team with your full backs and attack when the chance comes around…..

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Egu had no play B started throwing players in….Olayinka for Awoniyi is when I knew the game was over and Egu is gone
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:30 pm
The eagles played well.
A weird thing to say...they played well but the coach doesn't get credit for them playing well?
A coach is credited with half time shift in Play….

We came out more lathergic than before

A coach is judged by his Subs….

Awoniyi for Olayinka is a funny one. Olayinka is a left winger for Prague not a striker

Iwobi for Iheanacho - that’s ur only striker and he is off as well ( Red card is unlucky. Sh*t happens)

Samu staying on, Musa….coming on

And not once did he think….this formation ain’t working let’s sit think and regroup….nope

Egu is a good guy and he tried his best but he is stuck in his ways. He is the far opposite of Rohr….

We just have to find an happy medium and we are good to go….

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:34 pm

Remember the Egu video….on YouTube….that basically is what any coach will play for his players….

Their plan….wing play….it’s old and outdated….double team the wings play 4-3-3 and let the 3 upfront keep the full backs busy and the 3 in midfield double team with your full backs and attack when the chance comes around…..

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Egu had no play B started throwing players in….Olayinka for Awoniyi is when I knew the game was over and Egu is gone
Thus the new coach take over from here you mean?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:01 pm

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Easily

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:05 pm

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Easily
Based on his records I saw, I doubt he is good either
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

If Okoye made that save,the story could have been different. He say the shot from 25 yards out clean yet the shot beat him is quite amazing.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The eagles played well.
I wondered about such incongruency. The fact is that the team played well and went down surprisingly from a rather harmless situation. Yet, the coach made a GOOD TACTICAL decision bringing in Iwobi. Unfortunately, Iwobi had not settled down before he was sent off. At that point, the game was as good as lost, TACTICS not withstanding. That the team battled, had two pk claims ignored (replays confirmed handling deep in the box) and then Sadiq's presence s not indicate that this loss was down to the Manager solely.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

How can you say that, Prof.?
What impact did Iwobi have in the 7 or so minutes he was on the field?
Tactically, Iwobi should have been brought on at half time for an ineffective Chukwueze, who was struggling.
He knew the Tunisians had checkmated his 1st half strategy and did nothing about it till we went a goal down.
Poor game management.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 am
The eagles played well.
I wondered about such incongruency. The fact is that the team played well and went down surprisingly from a rather harmless situation. Yet, the coach made a GOOD TACTICAL decision bringing in Iwobi. Unfortunately, Iwobi had not settled down before he was sent off. At that point, the game was as good as lost, TACTICS not withstanding. That the team battled, had two pk claims ignored (replays confirmed handling deep in the box) and then Sadiq's presence s not indicate that this loss was down to the Manager solely.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:45 am How can you say that, Prof.?
What impact did Iwobi have in the 7 or so minutes he was on the field?
Tactically, Iwobi should have been brought on at half time for an ineffective Chukwueze, who was struggling.
He knew the Tunisians had checkmated his 1st half strategy and did nothing about it till we went a goal down.
Poor game management.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 am
The eagles played well.
he acted like the Nigerian version of Rohr. :boo:
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The eagles played well.
A coach that knows the players better may have organized the team in a different way to maximize the effectiveness of each player. Also, when we went down, the coach may have made different subs, again, based on his in-depth knowledge of exactly what each player brings to the table. This is why you do not sack a coach that has been with the team for several yrs just before a major tournament.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The eagles played well.
The coach and players share in the blame.

Egu clearly didn't have a plan B for the Tunisians marking out Moses and Samu. Both players kept trying to take on two or three Tunisians at a time. Egu should've figured out a way to switch things up and keep Tunisia guessing. Instead Nigeria was too one dimensional and thus predictable.

Secondly the players themselves are unable to take shots and attack aerial balls into Tunisias box. Were they able to do this well, it could've offered an alternative plan. Moses and Samu could've quickly whipped in crosses instead of trying to dribble in traffic. They could also square the balls to players at the top of the box where they can take shots at goal. Tats how Tunisia scored. They couldn't break into our box and so surprised us with a long range shot. Other teams like Gabon and Gambia also have great range shot takers. But our players didn't show any inkling to do it and even after they got desperate against Tunisia and they did take shots they were weak and off target. These are things you do yourself to improve, not something the coach should be teaching you in the national team camp.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 pm

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Easily
Like I said in another post….I totally agree with you. What is it with these foreign 60yr olds….is that not retirement age?

We should get a vibrant, Progressive coach that can adapt to what’s going on in the pitch and the team we are facing….

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enyi wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 am
Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 pm

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Easily
Like I said in another post….I totally agree with you. What is it with these foreign 60yr olds….is that not retirement age?

We should get a vibrant, Progressive coach that can adapt to what’s going on in the pitch and the team we are facing….
:agree: :agree: but will the people in charge see your point? At moment, our beating Ghana for a world cup spot - in Qatar - is beginning to look impossible