We were taught a footballing lesson

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We were taught a footballing lesson

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:45 am How can you say that, Prof.?
What impact did Iwobi have in the 7 or so minutes he was on the field?
Tactically, Iwobi should have been brought on at half time for an ineffective Chukwueze, who was struggling.
He knew the Tunisians had checkmated his 1st half strategy and did nothing about it till we went a goal down.
Poor game management.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 am
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:30 pm
visieC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm I disagree.
The eagles played well.
The coach to me is the problem...not the players.
A weird thing to say...they played well but the coach doesn't get credit for them playing well?
I wondered about such incongruency. The fact is that the team played well and went down surprisingly from a rather harmless situation. Yet, the coach made a GOOD TACTICAL decision bringing in Iwobi. Unfortunately, Iwobi had not settled down before he was sent off. At that point, the game was as good as lost, TACTICS not withstanding. That the team battled, had two pk claims ignored (replays confirmed handling deep in the box) and then Sadiq's presence s not indicate that this loss was down to the Manager solely.
While I agree that Iwobi should have been brought in earlier, please note that Iwobi did not play 7 minutes as you claim. He was there for 3 or less and virtually his first contact sent him to the showers. So what impact was that? Moreover, after he left it was virtually lef t to God and not tactics. 10 against 11? Iet me know a manager anywhere sure of rescuing a game in those subsequent circumstance.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

We played 10 vs 11 for just under 1/2 of the match and still had chances to equalize. We were not outplayed.

I am shocked at the lashing the team and coach are getting. We played well. Yes, some of our reliables were not effective - Aribo, Iheanacho, Moses & Chukwueze but those who came on worked to turn things around.

This is a great lesson for the team. Osimhen will be back. Same for Etebo. We need the Lookmans and Oliseh/Eze for creativity. All we need to do is maintain stability with Coach Eguavoen in charge and focus on the matches against Ghana.

Our chances of making it to Qatar is great. I say GO SE and no to journeymen coaches!
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

I rewatched the match against Egypt over the weekend and one thing that was missing in our match against Tunisia was intensity. Our pace was just slower and we failed to press with intensity higher up.

Maybe the fact that it was the knock-out stage forced the team to be more cautious - we lost the key factor that threw off the Egyptians. It would have worked with the Tunisians. I still say, 11 vs 11, Nigeria wins!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm We played 10 vs 11 for just under 1/2 of the match and still had chances to equalize. We were not outplayed.

I am shocked at the lashing the team and coach are getting. We played well. Yes, some of our reliables were not effective - Aribo, Iheanacho, Moses & Chukwueze but those who came on worked to turn things around.

This is a great lesson for the team. Osimhen will be back. Same for Etebo. We need the Lookmans and Oliseh/Eze for creativity. All we need to do is maintain stability with Coach Eguavoen in charge and focus on the matches against Ghana.

Our chances of making it to Qatar is great. I say GO SE and no to journeymen coaches!
Etebo? Herein lies our problem. We really don't know our troops very well. When last did Etebo have a good game, club or country?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:43 pm I rewatched the match against Egypt over the weekend and one thing that was missing in our match against Tunisia was intensity. Our pace was just slower and we failed to press with intensity higher up.

Maybe the fact that it was the knock-out stage forced the team to be more cautious - we lost the key factor that threw off the Egyptians. It would have worked with the Tunisians. I still say, 11 vs 11, Nigeria wins!
The coach decided to rest 70% of the team against Guinea Bissau for reasons known to him. That was the primary reason for the slow start and sluggishness of our players. You don't' do that is a competition like the AFCON or Wordl Cup. Cameroon who were in a similar position like us fielded their best team. Some of us here said it, notably Cellular and myself. But our coach knows best.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:48 pm
tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:43 pm I rewatched the match against Egypt over the weekend and one thing that was missing in our match against Tunisia was intensity. Our pace was just slower and we failed to press with intensity higher up.

The coach decided to rest 70% of the team against Guinea Bissau for reasons known to him. That was the primary reason for the slow start and sluggishness of our players. You don't' do that is a competition like the AFCON or Wordl Cup. Cameroon who were in a similar position like us fielded their best team. Some of us here said it, notably Cellular and myself. But our coach knows best.
But he had to. Its standard in competitions like this. You need to give those that'll come off the bench some minutes to get in tune with the pace and conditions of the competition. He did nothing wrong there.

Was I disapppointed - yes. I was looking to a Cameroon Nigeria final to avenge 2000 loss in Lagos. We have something good going on. I lost interest in the SE under Rohr and this team and their play/style renewed my passion.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I dont agree that was the wrong decision. If anything Egu messed up by not taking the lessons he learned from the GB match into the Tunisia game.

Chuks should not have started.

Sadiq should have started.

Nwakali should have shored up a 3 man midfield.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:56 pm

But he had to. Its standard in competitions like this. You need to give those that'll come off the bench some minutes to get in tune with the pace and conditions of the competition. He did nothing wrong there.

Was I disapppointed - yes. I was looking to a Cameroon Nigeria final to avenge 2000 loss in Lagos. We have something good going on. I lost interest in the SE under Rohr and this team and their play/style renewed my passion.
If it was standard, why didn't Cameroon do the same? Same thing we did in 1998 that proved to be a mistake.

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Odas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:32 pm
Enyi wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 am
Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 pm
Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:05 pm
Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:01 pm
Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:34 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 pm They didn't have to shut Samu down, he wasn't gonna do ish anyways...was a good tactic to shut Simon down, but in the Egypt game they tried the same thing after Simon had been tormenting them and Zaidu then started joining in attack making it harder to just focus on Simon, but today Zaidu barely attacked, it was so weird...
That’s the downfall of 4-4-2….

Remember the Egu video….on YouTube….that basically is what any coach will play for his players….

Their plan….wing play….it’s old and outdated….double team the wings play 4-3-3 and let the 3 upfront keep the full backs busy and the 3 in midfield double team with your full backs and attack when the chance comes around…..

Mourinho masterpiece….,

Egu had no play B started throwing players in….Olayinka for Awoniyi is when I knew the game was over and Egu is gone
Thus the new coach take over from here you mean?
Easily
Based on his records I saw, I doubt he is good either
Like I said in another post….I totally agree with you. What is it with these foreign 60yr olds….is that not retirement age?

We should get a vibrant, Progressive coach that can adapt to what’s going on in the pitch and the team we are facing….
:agree: :agree: but will the people in charge see your point? At moment, our beating Ghana for a world cup spot - in Qatar - is beginning to look impossible
It is common sense…. No need getting a has been…. Why can’t they see it..I believe that we have a great first 11 but the NFF is holding us back
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:07 pm
tmex12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:56 pm

If it was standard, why didn't Cameroon do the same? Same thing we did in 1998 that proved to be a mistake.
Because they could have finished second in their group if they lost. They just needed a tie with Cape Verde to finish first. If they finished second, they would have had to travel to Limbe, for the quarters, an area they def wanted to avoid.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:01 pm

I dont agree that was the wrong decision. If anything Egu messed up by not taking the lessons he learned from the GB match into the Tunisia game.

Chuks should not have started.

Sadiq should have started.

Nwakali should have shored up a 3 man midfield.
Completely agree, and more.
1. The team knew they could beat Tunisia over a 90 mins span. 3rd ranked struggling team with no previous offensive production. With Egypt, the unknown with Salah and his potentially moments of brilliance kept them on their toes.

2. The preference for Chukwueze appears to be an attempt to get him going. Eguavoen's wing play philosophy requires both wingers to be on point. I don't know if Chukwueze was mentally prepared for Eguavoen's managerial approach. With 5 subs, he knew he was going to be subbed at one point in any game regardless of performance or opposing team to accommodate other players or for the discovery of the effectiveness of another player. That might have unnerved him.

3. We still don't know how to switch points of attack.

4. We have seen enough of Sadiq to know he should get more playing time. It is unfortunate it took a tournament for him to get his Super Eagles debut.

5. We should credit Eguavoen for the attempt to build tournament depth by using different players. He made the right decision to bench 8 of the starters. Some of the players are coming from clubs where the players appeared weekly at best.
Recovery time is key. He brought back competitiveness, and belief.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

After all is said and done, who is our coach, who? Personally, I think Eguavoen should stay till after the world cup.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

This tournament has been no joke at all. I just saw Comoros (10 men for 90 mins with a make-shift goalkeeper- outfield player playing as goalkeeper) almond beat 11-man Cameroon. Obama had to make some incredible saves for Cameroon to limp to a 2-1 victory. Ego’s face at the end of the march summed it up nicely. Gambia also knocked-out Guinea. This is crazy! I expect Cape Verde to knockout Senegal.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?