Worst performance since 1982

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chopachop
Egg
Egg
Re: Worst performance since 1982

Post by chopachop »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:17 pm
john12 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:12 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm It is not about his performance. He was very good in the group stages. But it is a results business. He has to go.

Lol He has to stay he must Continue no two ways about it
Unfortunately for you I'm not obsessed with him the way you are with Rohr. Rohr was poor and he was sacked. He will never coach Nigeria again...deal with it! Eguavoen is leaving because we didn't meet the high standards we set for ourselves.
Chei, na curse wey dey curse we or what ?
Not one topic here in the eagles nest is without mention of the name Rohr.
He dey like say Rohr na 2nd coming of TB Joshua. Seriously the man should
consider opening a church in naija. I am sure if Rohr had won one Afcon or
even a match in the WC, there will be some here who will call for a statue of
Rohr to be created in naija. I have never seen where mediocrity is worshipped.
Rohr's record is nothing to write home about, don't tell me that he qualified the
team for Russia, WC qualification for a country of nigeria's size, football history
shouldn't be seen as an achievement, that is for countries like Mali, Guinea, Zimbabwe
no offence to the above countries.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:36 am
aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm It is not about his performance. He was very good in the group stages. But it is a results business. He has to go.

Unfortunately for you I'm not obsessed with him the way you are with Rohr. Rohr was poor and he was sacked. He will never coach Nigeria again...deal with it! Eguavoen is leaving because we didn't meet the high standards we set for ourselves.
Rohr's record is nothing to write home about, don't tell me that he qualified the
team for Russia, WC qualification for a country of nigeria's size, football history
shouldn't be seen as an achievement, that is for countries like Mali, Guinea, Zimbabwe
is it an achievement to go out in the 2nd round of afcon losing to a team that has lost 12 and their coach to Covid ?

or how about failing to even qualify for afcon ?

Are those achievements ?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

No offence to the North Africans, but there was NOTHING impressive about this Tunisian side.

This is an embarrassing defeat. It is so embarrassing that I told myself I would avoid CE, but somehow I found myself here.

It really is a pathetic loss. This Tunisian side is nothing special. To lose to them is pitiful.

Some will say that it was a defensive masterstroke, but it really wasn't. Even with 10 men, the Tunisian defence was suspect. And a better side would have equalised. The truth is this Nigerian side is extremely inefficient. Needing 12 chances to score 1 goal.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:37 am

is it an achievement to go out in the 2nd round of afcon losing to a team that has lost 12 and their coach to Covid ?

or how about failing to even qualify for afcon ?

Are those achievements ?
It is not mutually exclusive for Rohr to have been poor and for us to have had a poor AFCON. It is not one or the other. Rohr is gone and you should all deal with it.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:06 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:11 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 pm Yup, no two ways about it. And with a highly talented squad.
You keep repeating this delusional nonsense. That is why you got rid of Rohr.

Maybe Rohr was pulling the best he could out of a bunch of overhyped players. Have you thought about that?
Coach Rohr might be laughing at us now, Kai :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...exactement! while downing some fine German beer :rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:23 pm
mystic wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:20 pm 2008 quarterfinal exit was worse.
No it wasn't.

Ghana was a better team than this Tunisia team.

Also we had a much better team today than in 2008.

this is the worst AFCON easily since I started watching afcons back in 1996.
No wonder you say a lot of nonsense.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

It remains shocking that Rohr is held up as an exemplar given Nigeria's soccer history. What a low bar to hang on to. In my view, Nigeria should aspire for far more.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

akamoke wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 pm No, worst result (outcome), not performance

If I recall correctly, the 1982 set lost all their group games

This team is disapointing because the outcome betrays their performance
They lost 2 and won 1.
I am happy
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 pm Eguavoen has to bite the bullet.
You are correct. Worst ANC performance since 1982. Next to this was Berti Stash :taunt: :taunt:

That said, Eguavoen was there as INTERIM coach. He took over the team at the ANC. So will not 'blame' him for the loss. I will rather use the 4 matches he coached at the ANC to evaluate him. For those that loved statistics he has a 75% win record at this ANC.

While Eguavoen will not be my first pick, I will actually retain him for the WC qualifier and IF we qualify keep him till after the WC with a second round qualification as minimum expectation.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ANC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 pm
AreaDaddy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 pm
ANC wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:19 pm
AreaDaddy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 pm I really wanted Eguavoen to do well, but not reaching at least semi finals for Nigeria is a terrible result.

With regret he has to go.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
damn thats cold
Nothing we give me more pleasure that to see Nigeria fully engage its local capacity in coaching, so I wanted Eguavoen to have a good tournment, Nigeria has always got to at least the Semi finals in recent AFCONs so this is a real set back.

The situation that faces us now is that any replacement will have just 2 competitve matches before the world cup.

If that becomes the case then pragamatically anything we get from the World Cup now na just jara.
5 years wasted.
Rohr should have been gone after 2019
Nope. We should have sacked him after the world cup.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mcal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm
Odas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:06 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:11 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 pm Yup, no two ways about it. And with a highly talented squad.
You keep repeating this delusional nonsense. That is why you got rid of Rohr.

Maybe Rohr was pulling the best he could out of a bunch of overhyped players. Have you thought about that?
Coach Rohr might be laughing at us now, Kai :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...exactement! while downing some fine German beer :rotf:
... 'refined and smooth' German beer, you mean? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Kai, I go die-o!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 pm

It remains shocking that Rohr is held up as an exemplar given Nigeria's soccer history. What a low bar to hang on to. In my view, Nigeria should aspire for far more.
He has the best winning ratio at 66%. That is impressive and worth the praise Rohr gets.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bro, so right on the money.

I believe that is one of the worst damages that **** did to Naijarian football.
You batter someone and inflict psychological damage on them to the point they expect less of themselves. They cower their head in shame with slumped shoulders...and when you beat them, they believe they somehow deserved the beating.
Set very low expectations and applaud themselves when they manage to reach it.

Eguavoen knew what the deal was when he took the job. In 4 short games, he showed what we could be and where we needed work. Unfortunately for him, HE FAILED and he did the honorable thing of resigning.

Regardless of the condition of taking the job, he knew the deal.

The next guy will also know the deal. We expect to win and dominate while doing so. We expect to see improvement as he handles the team. We expect to see in-game, timely tactical adjustments. We don't expect to go into games playing cowardly football. That is not our DNA.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:30 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 pm

He has the best winning ratio at 66%. That is impressive and worth the praise Rohr gets.
I do not think it is worth the praise. I disagree with that. The bar was set by Westerhoff and Keshi, after that we have several who have either done better or equaled Gernot Rohr. Rohr just is not an exemplar and should not be. Except, perhaps, for those who have not followed Nigerian football closely or are basically unaware.
:?: :?: :?:
First Rohr's winning percentage is NOT 66%. It is 50% (26 wins in 52 games). Tiko had 28 in 52 (54%), Vogts had 50% (7 in 14), Westerhoff had 53% (31 of 58), Amodu's last stint was 13 of 21 (54%), Bonfrere was 8 of 15 (53%) Chukwu 18 of 35 (51%) Eguavoen 13 of 21 (67%). Although Keshi was 46% (26 of 57) he won an AFCON, Penna was 14 of 24 (58%). Please tell me again how on earth 50% by Rohr is outstanding?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 pm It remains shocking that Rohr is held up as an exemplar given Nigeria's soccer history. What a low bar to hang on to. In my view, Nigeria should aspire for far more.
I do not think it is worth the praise. I disagree with that. The bar was set by Westerhoff and Keshi, after that we have several who have either done better or equaled Gernot Rohr. Rohr just is not an exemplar and should not be. Except, perhaps, for those who have not followed Nigerian football closely or are basically unaware.
First Rohr's winning percentage is NOT 66%. It is 50% (26 wins in 52 games). Tiko had 28 in 52 (54%), Vogts had 50% (7 in 14), Westerhoff had 53% (31 of 58), Amodu's last stint was 13 of 21 (54%), Bonfrere was 8 of 15 (53%) Chukwu 18 of 35 (51%) Eguavoen 13 of 21 (67%). Although Keshi was 46% (26 of 57) he won an AFCON, Penna was 14 of 24 (58%). Please tell me again how on earth 50% by Rohr is outstanding?
:lol:

Competitive matches and you know that is exactly what I meant. Unless you can't count. :sneaky:

viewtopic.php?p=5719278#p5719278
Gernot Rohr's Record in Competitive matches with Nigeria

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

1. Tanzania 1:0 W
2. Zambia 2:1 W
3. Algeria 3:1 W
4. South Africa 0:2 L
5. Cameroun 4:0 W
6. Cameroun 1:1 D
7. Zambia 1:0 W
8. Algeria 1:1* D (later L)
9. Croatia 0:2 L
10. Iceland 2:0 *lW
11. Argentina 1:2 L
12. Seychelles 3:0 W
13. Libya 4:0 W
14. Libya 3:2 W
15. South Africa 1:1 D
16. Seychelles 3:1 W
17. Burundi 1:0 W
18. Guinea 1:0 W
19. Madagascar 0:2 L
20. Cameroun 3:2 W
21. South Africa 2:1 W
22. Algeria 1:2 L
23. Tunisia 1:0 W
24. Benin 2:1 *lW
25. Sierra Leone 4:4 D
26. Sierra Leone 0:0 D
27. Lesotho 4:2 W
28. Benin 1:0 W
29. Lesotho 3:0 W
30. Liberia 2:0 W
31. Cape Verde 2:1 W
32. CAR 0:1 L
33. CAR 2:0 W
34. Liberia 2:0 W
35. Cape Verde 1:1 D
Egypt
Sudan
Guinea Bussau

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:49 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:26 pm It remains shocking that Rohr is held up as an exemplar given Nigeria's soccer history. What a low bar to hang on to. In my view, Nigeria should aspire for far more.

Competitive matches and you know that is exactly what I meant. Unless you can't count. :sneaky:

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

Egypt
Sudan
Guinea Bussau

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses
Lolly,

I cannot read your mind. You need to be specific. What then are percentages for other coaches in order for us to compare?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

None of our performances were particularly good at this tournament but the results masked enough.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:53 pm

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

Egypt
Sudan
Guinea Bussau

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses
Lolly,

I cannot read your mind. You need to be specific. What then are percentages for other coaches in order for us to compare?
I already provided a link where it has been discussed.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

kalani JR wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 pm None of our performances were particularly good at this tournament but the results masked enough.
I disagree.

They were all good performances, but the teams had no answer.

The first team to respond, Egu then had no answer.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly,

But you claimed that Rohr had the best winning percentage. Not so? Or are you willing to recant that statement? Using the link that you provided, and including Eguavoen's recent games, he (Eguavoen) has 75%. So, how is 66% better than 75%? Please share with us how that math works?

Lolly, when you use these things please avoid being biased on them as much as possible. When Mega posted it he conveniently put an asterisk on Egu's record po0f 12 games at the time by putting a spurious barrier that the manager must have coached 15 games to qualify. Yet, in most places such barriers are regularly put at 10. Yet, Mega claimed he was going for 15 games. Well, well, not surprisingly, Egu had 12 games at the time. Thus, according to him Egu's record did not qualify so it was just Rohr..... Well, well, Egu now has added 4 games and has 16. I hope Mega now agrees that Egu qualifies even based on his unusual barrier. ... If it counts, your claim that Rohr has the best winning record is false even while using the arbitrary method advanced by Mega.
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:59 pm

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

Egypt
Sudan
Guinea Bussau

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses
Lolly,

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 pm Lolly,

But you claimed that Rohr had the best winning percentage. Not so? Or are you willing to recant that statement? Using the link that you provided, and including Eguavoen's recent games, he (Eguavoen) has 75%. So, how is 66% better than 75%? Please share with us how that math works?

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

Egypt
Sudan
Guinea Bussau

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses
Lolly,

Ok. You are late to the party.

We already discussed this last year and the sample that was used was for those in charge of more than 15 matches which disqualified Eguavoen.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

If it was used why are you then falsely claiming that Rohr has the best record? Where exactly is that comingvfrom if you are using 15 games? Please withdraw the false statement.

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:18 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 pm Lolly,

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses

Egypt
Sudan
Guinea Bussau

35 matches
23 Wins
6 Draws
6 Losses
Lolly,

Ok. You are late to the party.

We already discussed this last year and the sample that was used was for those in charge of more than 15 matches which disqualified Eguavoen.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Wining percentages (Competitive matches)

Rohr 66%
Amodu 65%
Westerhof 59%
Keshi 50%

Rohr
23-6-6
won 23/35
66%

Amodu
24-10-3
won 24/37
65%

Westerhof
24-9-8
Won 24/41
59%

Keshi
16-10-6
won 16/32
50%

Ethiopia 1:0 Nigeria during Westerhof era is given to Chukwu

Less than 15 games

Eguavoen
9-1-2
Won 9/12
75%