Eguavoen must Continue

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavoen must Continue

Post by vancity eagle »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:34 pm I am torn.

I went to bed last night thinking he HAD to go because even if we squeak by Ghana, there will be better coaches waiting at the WC.

I wake up this morning now saying to myself that the reason i supported firing Rohr was because the new coach was going to use the AFCON to get to know the players and be ready for the WCQ. Unfortunately Pinnick put Eguavoen there and the so called new coach still does not know his team. It will be disastrous to have him get us ready for the WCQ. He should have coached us in this AFCON.

Our best bet is Eguavoen actually LEARNED from this painful loss. His post match presser did not look like someone who did. I can forgive him for his emotions getting the best of him at that point and hope that upon reflection he would have seen the folly of his ways in that came. He waited till they scored to react.

Sigh.
Kpom.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Truth is though we will NEVER know what happened had we retained Rohr.

I still believe it was a risk worth taking but we will just never know how his team would have played in Cameroon. We can speculate he would have done poorly going by his recent results, but the Keshi team that won afcon and made 2nd round in WC also had a few piss poor results and play. I remember us failing to beat Kenya at home. There were many poor displays to be honest only for the team to get it together at the right moments.

Rohr's team could have continued their poor trend, or they could have gone on to win it all. We will never know.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:22 pm Eguavoen has rightly resigned from the interim position.

That is what honorable people do.

Resign and don't put the FA in a tough position by trying to hold onto an untenable position.

Let Pinnick hire the person that he wants and will give 100% support to.

The World Cup is more important to Pinnick than anything else. He won't want to jeopardize it as it is a quadrennial bonanza.

I wish the next guy the best of luck and full cooperation from every stakeholder.
At least he has taken responsibility for his failure and done the honourable thing. I give him props for that.

But I remember how he was getting excited last week on his regular media interviews telling everyone how he would be interested in taking the job on a permanent role. Egu should go and find a club and get a fulltime job coaching a team. That's the only way he can improve himself. He is nice guy but his coaching is outdated. Its still fresh in my memory he bungled up our Olympics qualification, inviting 101 foreign based players who had not played together for one day.
Completely agree.

Our guys should make the extra sacrifice and go and improve on themselves... keep improving on their craft. Find paths that will lead to opportunities... they are often very tedious and don't pay well. I would have thought by now we would have had some coaching internship pathway with all the agents, apparel companies, sponsors, and clubs that our FA has been dealing with. I guess it is not part of what they negotiate for.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:49 pm Truth is though we will NEVER know what happened had we retained Rohr.

I still believe it was a risk worth taking but we will just never know how his team would have played in Cameroon. We can speculate he would have done poorly going by his recent results, but the Keshi team that won afcon and made 2nd round in WC also had a few piss poor results and play. I remember us failing to beat Kenya at home. There were many poor displays to be honest only for the team to get it together at the right moments.

Rohr's team could have continued their poor trend, or they could have gone on to win it all. We will never know.
There was a pattern developing with ****. His run of not-so-good results was a pattern. Teams with ambition are not afraid to make coaching changes when you realize that the present coach can't take you further than he has brought you. ****'s team after close to 6 years did not resemble a team that showed the coach has been with them for that long.

We moved on from **** to an interim guy who also failed. We can't be afraid to make changes. We have seen that this set of players and with the addition of those who couldn't make it to the AFCON are capable of playing footie the way we want the game to be played.

The laziness to scout and find the right fit shouldn't be a deterrent to looking for the right fit.

Again, Pinnick should hire a professional to find him the right coach. He is not good at picking coaches.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:05 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:31 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:21 am Actually, on 2nd thought, I think we don't have a choice but tonstick with Eguavoen and get him better assistants or whatever. Hiring Peseiro would be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.what made me change my mind was the fact that we never got to see what effect Egu's initial sub would've made because of I-wobi's red card. Moreover, Egu did get the team to play with more urgency and to believe, that cannot be underestimated. To pay an unknown coach big money at this stage seems illogical. Bring him back.
Eguavoen won't stay as coach, he is SCARED
I read his statement regarding his job, he didn't really resign but said he would go back to his old job and let the Nff make a decision. If they give him the job he'll stay.

Let's face it. We've paid a penalty in for interrupting team development by firing Rohr and paid in results and money. Peseiro, if hired is unlikely to stay after the WC and might not even qualify. It's a dicey situation. Give Eguavoen a 2yr contract, reinforce him with quality help and make adjustments. Afterall, that's all a new coach would do. We have to learn to build!

Emir,

I hope you are correct on this.. I think that when things calm down, the NFF will realize that Nigeria's best bet at the moment is to keep Eguavoen as Manager. Here is why?

1. While Egu did not solve the Tunisian defense in the opening half, there is nothing to assume that the gamer would not have been won in the second half given our domination erven with a man less. Although the one man disadvantage eventually hurt us, the team put up a fight and may be a few inches on Sadiq's shot, two pk claims that the replay shows were Tunisia handling deep in the box.

2. The team is certainly re-energized under Eguavoen. There is little doubt about this.

3. This was a loss in four appearances. In my view, NFF decisions need to be based on a pattern of results. I have mentioned this severally. Rohr, for instance, lost at the group stage of the last AFCON to Madagascar but we came out of it to advance to third place. That never deserved a sack. His sack eventually was justified but there were a series (not one) of disappointing home results.
BRo, You are too much of an exprienced man to know that teams get re-energized under new coaches then later show their true colors. E.g man UTd under SOlskjaer.

2ndly, with all the attacking flair and freedom, you cuold see the team was not an organized unit.

FInally, what credentials did Eguavon bring with him when getting this job? Nada. Now you want to reward someone with poor work experience with an extension of his job after failing woefully in a pretty easy tournament?

ROhr met targets and still got fired becuase of poor football.
Eguavon failed on his targets but played attacking football but should also get fired.

We need a coach that would bring both winning and flair football. NO MORE HALF MEASURES. This is what is killing nigeria as a country.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:45 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:49 pm Truth is though we will NEVER know what happened had we retained Rohr.

There was a pattern developing with ****. His run of not-so-good results was a pattern. Teams with ambition are not afraid to make coaching changes when you realize that the present coach can't take you further than he has brought you. ****'s team after close to 6 years did not resemble a team that showed the coach has been with them for that long.

We moved on from **** to an interim guy who also failed. We can't be afraid to make changes. We have seen that this set of players and with the addition of those who couldn't make it to the AFCON are capable of playing footie the way we want the game to be played.

The laziness to scout and find the right fit shouldn't be a deterrent to looking for the right fit.

Again, Pinnick should hire a professional to find him the right coach. He is not good at picking coaches.
To the emboldened, :clap: :clap: :clap:

We need a good coach, no need settling for a poor one.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

This narrative that Egu was poor is weird to me. As "bad" as people claim that first half was, at no point in time did Tunisia look likely to score. It was 0-0 and we had some pretty decent opportunities. Aribo and Awoniyi both. So, the idea that there was supposed to be this sense of panic at halftime in a scoreless game where your opponent hasn't don't s**t is baffling.

Ok, so, now we concede. We are down 1-0. The coach decides to bring on a player to help distribute the ball THROUGH THE MIDDLE like we all asked for. The player then gets sent off. He then throws on Sadiq, who in 15 mins was the best player on the pitch and could have scored!!!

Man City plays Man City football, and they usually win. Occasionally, a team like Norwich or Wolverhampton will get it right and escape with a win. Surely Pep must be sacked. Or Man City should have to stopped playing to their strengths and adapt to what Norwich was doing. Even when the game is 0-0 and they have the upper hand? That is lunacy!! Egu played 4 games. He won 3 and lost 1. The fact we lost a game should't mean he has lost credibility as a coach. Every coach WILL lose games!!!!
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

The SE was going through a bad patch under ROhr. It happens to most teams. So what do you do? You find out the reasons for the bad patch, and come up with solutions to fix it.

I noticed those other foreign coaches with Rohr were hardly around him anymore. Was that the reason? did he need better assiatants? Did he need more inputs from the Technical Director? was their team indiscipline issues? DId they need a strict and experienced Team Manager?

FIring but a major tournament should be the LAST OPTION even considering that he still delivered results.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm This narrative that Egu was poor is weird to me. As "bad" as people claim that first half was, at no point in time did Tunisia look likely to score. It was 0-0 and we had some pretty decent opportunities. Aribo and Awoniyi both. So, the idea that there was supposed to be this sense of panic at halftime in a scoreless game where your opponent hasn't don't s**t is baffling.

Ok, so, now we concede. We are down 1-0. The coach decides to bring on a player to help distribute the ball THROUGH THE MIDDLE like we all asked for. The player then gets sent off. He then throws on Sadiq, who in 15 mins was the best player on the pitch and could have scored!!!

Man City plays Man City football, and they usually win. Occasionally, a team like Norwich or Wolverhampton will get it right and escape with a win. Surely Pep must be sacked. Or Man City should have to stopped playing to their strengths and adapt to what Norwich was doing. Even when the game is 0-0 and they have the upper hand? That is lunacy!! Egu played 4 games. He won 3 and lost 1. The fact we lost a game should't mean he has lost credibility as a coach. Every coach WILL lose games!!!!
Bushboy(man), sorry, but apples and udala. Not even close.

Pep has a pedigree. When he loses you understand it is a bad day at the office.

Eguavoen took the job knowing full well that there's no margin for error. It was a suicide mission where the only outcome that would have saved him was either winning the cup or losing to a better team.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm This narrative that Egu was poor is weird to me. As "bad" as people claim that first half was, at no point in time did Tunisia look likely to score. It was 0-0 and we had some pretty decent opportunities. Aribo and Awoniyi both. So, the idea that there was supposed to be this sense of panic at halftime in a scoreless game where your opponent hasn't don't s**t is baffling.

Unacceptable for the coach of the Nigerian NTs.

/s
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

We should be asking why we can’t find a better coach for a whole Super Eagles of Nigeria. Both Rohr and Eguavoen are not good enough for this period of our football. Let’s do the real work of finding a better coach. That is what the NFF guys are being paid to do. Enough of taking the lazy option.

And I pray we don’t go with the Portuguese chap. His record is poor.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

chief nfachairman wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:06 pm

The SE was going through a bad patch under ROhr. It happens to most teams. So what do you do? You find out the reasons for the bad patch, and come up with solutions to fix it.

I noticed those other foreign coaches with Rohr were hardly around him anymore. Was that the reason? did he need better assiatants? Did he need more inputs from the Technical Director? was their team indiscipline issues? DId they need a strict and experienced Team Manager?

FIring but a major tournament should be the LAST OPTION even considering that he still delivered results.
NFAChair, in management you sometimes take a gamble and hope that a bad patch will correct itself over time. Pinnick took that gamble by extending the man's contract after the WC.

He also saw that the team instead of improving was regressing.

If you did an honest assessment of the team under **** you will conclude that it started regressing right after they qualified for the WC with 100% (sans the boardroom point deduction).

Good coaches do get fired. Some even get fired after winning trophies... they get fired by management when they see that the message is not getting through or there's a leadership tussle. Ours was a case of the message not getting through.

Would you as someone who was/is in football management trust this guy with this set of players who many believe are close to being a formidable bunch?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm ! Egu played 4 games. He won 3 and lost 1. The fact we lost a game should't mean he has lost credibility as a coach. Every coach WILL lose games!!!!
I dont think Egu is a poor coach, but he isn't that great either. Same as Rohr ro be frank.

They are both stubborn and outdated.

We criticized Rohr for his lack of reading games and his ability to switch tactically.

Egu made some of the very same mistakes as Rohr and responded in much the same clueless fashion.

Rohr and Egu BOTH disrespected the role of midfield

Rohr and Egu BOTH were tempted by Nachos goals and forced him into their lineup in a position he is not suited to play

Rohr and Egu BOTH were slow to react to the opposition game plan.

When Egu did not make a single change at halftime after that poor performance, I knew he had lost the plot. Very Rohr-esque
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:20 pm
bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm ! Egu played 4 games. He won 3 and lost 1. The fact we lost a game should't mean he has lost credibility as a coach. Every coach WILL lose games!!!!
I dont think Egu is a poor coach, but he isn't that great either. Same as Rohr ro be frank.

We criticized Rohr for his lack of reading games and his ability to switch tactically.

Egu made some of the very same mistakes as Rohr and responded in much the same clueless fashion.

Rohr and Egu BOTH were tempted by Nachos goals and forced him into their lineup in a position he is not suited to play

When Egu did not make a single change at halftime after that poor performance, I knew he had lost the plot. Very Rohr-esque
Why was making a change at halftime so important??!! I agree it wasn't a brilliant half of football, but the ONLY team that looked likely to score was us! Why was a change so desperately needed?
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:38 pm

Why was making a change at halftime so important??!! I agree it wasn't a brilliant half of football, but the ONLY team that looked likely to score was us! Why was a change so desperately needed?
Because our attack was BLUNT. It was clear as day. It wasn't working. Why wait any longer ?

We already saw what Sadiq did in 15 minutes. He should have had no less than 45 in that match. Chuks should also have been yanked at 45, shouldn't even have started tbh.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Because people think this is FIFA 22 on Xbox :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:52 pm

So you continue with something that is clearly not working ?

Watching cluelessly hoping things change.

Wasn't this one of the main criticisms against Rohr ?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:00 pm
metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:52 pm

So you continue with something that is clearly not working ?

Watching cluelessly hoping things change.

Wasn't this one of the main criticisms against Rohr ?
You dont make changes just to make changes. Presumably, at half time they discussed how Tunisia was set up, and made according tactical adjustments. Go and watch what Egu said in the post match conference. You would presume that he started with what he considered to be his strongest team, why wouldn't you give your strongest team a chance after you see what the opponent has done and have adjusted?

The criticism against Rohr was that even after half time and deep into the second half, he did nothing perceptible to adjust to what was going on in front of him. Thats not the same thing as asking for wholesale changes at half time in the middle of a game that the opponent had barely threatened!

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

By and large, Eguavoen is just the Cinderella version of Rohr since he talks a good game and actually played some decent attacking football in the group stage of the AFCON...truth however remains that both men (Rohr and Eguavoen) are still very limited coaches in their own rights. Coaching left Eguavoen in 2006 and Rohr is just the poor version of Sam Alladyce, just the type of coach to come in and stabilize your team and get paper you over the cracks with very conservative yet sometimes effective football, but will never win you anything if you're an ambitious football nation.

Right now it's a conundrum for me when it comes to our coaching situation? should Eguavoen continue? yes.. but can he get better and improve his coaching tactically? it remains to be seen and I'm not sure we as Nigerian fans are patient enough to go with such odds... The best case scenario right now is just to let Eguavoen continue since he will have most of our key players and other interesting prospects return back to the team ahead of the world cup playoffs, then there will be no hiding place for him anymore since he will be the one choosing his own team this time.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:13 pm

NFAChair, in management you sometimes take a gamble and hope that a bad patch will correct itself over time. Pinnick took that gamble by extending the man's contract after the WC.

If you did an honest assessment of the team under **** you will conclude that it started regressing right after they qualified for the WC with 100% (sans the boardroom point deduction).

Good coaches do get fired. Some even get fired after winning trophies... they get fired by management when they see that the message is not getting through or there's a leadership tussle. Ours was a case of the message not getting through.

Would you as someone who was/is in football management trust this guy with this set of players who many believe are close to being a formidable bunch?
After the last ANC, the team play started getting uglier but they still won matches. Was an analysis done on why this was so? I didnt see any steps taken to try and improve Rohr's technical team rather they brought in an inexperienced Yobo and a Technical Director that has no good track record.

Again, National team and CLub football are pretty different. NAtional team,you only have few days with the players in a year. So how do you expect an interim coach to do much with a team just before a major tournament (AFCON), WC qualifer (against Ghana) and possibly world cup.

If we assess Rorhr on several indices, we woudl say he had a pass mark
1. Scouting: ROhr has been onpoint here
2. Player development: small time players moved on to bigger things. When he joined, Nigeria had alot of players in back water leagues but he kept encouraging the likes of OSimhen with national team invite.
3. Qualifiers and Trohies: qualified us for every tournament (with a game in hand) and won a bronze in the Afcon. Failed in his first WC attempt
4. Teamplay: Ugly but organized.

Finally, Peseiro is no messiah. I think he has a very poor track record. Pinnick is about to further finish his image in Nigerian football.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

chief nfachairman wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:26 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:13 pm

After the last ANC, the team play started getting uglier but they still won matches. Was an analysis done on why this was so? I didnt see any steps taken to try and improve Rohr's technical team rather they brought in an inexperienced Yobo and a Technical Director that has no good track record.

Again, National team and CLub football are pretty different. NAtional team, you only have few days with the players in a year. So how do you expect an interim coach to do much with a team just before a major tournament (AFCON), WC qualifer (against Ghana) and possibly world cup.

If we assess Rorhr on several indices, we woudl say he had a pass mark
1. Scouting: ROhr has been onpoint here
2. Player development: small time players moved on to bigger things. When he joined, Nigeria had alot of players in back water leagues but he kept encouraging the likes of OSimhen with national team invite.
3. Qualifiers and Trohies: qualified us for every tournament (with a game in hand) and won a bronze in the Afcon. Failed in his first WC attempt
4. Teamplay: Ugly but organized.

Finally, Peseiro is no messiah. I think he has a very poor track record. Pinnick is about to further finish his image in Nigerian football.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:07 pm Eguavoen took the job knowing full well that there's no margin for error. It was a suicide mission where the only outcome that would have saved him was either winning the cup or losing to a better team.
This is so disingenuous and a desperate attempt to avoid the truth.

You put all the blame on Eguavoen when the real issue here is that the coach that knew those players (and what each and every one of them can offer) was sacked right before the tournament. The people who sacked the coach and those who supported and cheered them on are to blame for this fiasco, and NOT Eguavoen!

Eguavoen stood up and did everything he could to serve his nation when others had made a catastrophic mistake that left SE in a desperate position with few options. I don't blame him at all!
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Orion wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:07 pm Eguavoen took the job knowing full well that there's no margin for error. It was a suicide mission where the only outcome that would have saved him was either winning the cup or losing to a better team.
This is so disingenuous and a desperate attempt to avoid the truth.

You put all the blame on Eguavoen when the real issue here is that the coach that knew those players (and what each and every one of them can offer) was sacked right before the tournament. The people who sacked the coach and those who supported and cheered them on are to blame for this fiasco, and NOT Eguavoen!

Eguavoen stood up and did everything he could to serve his nation when others had made a catastrophic mistake that left SE in a desperate position with few options. I don't blame him at all!
**** was rightfully sacked.

You all kept hoping that he would have learned by now. Obviously, it is not a lesson that can be learned in 6 years.

He needed more time.

And when he bombs at the AFCON you will use the excuse it is too late to make a change.

Get this into your thinking... NO TEAM WITH AN AMBITION TO WIN TROPHIES WILL HIRE HIM OR RETAIN HIM!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...