Eguavoen must Continue

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavoen must Continue

Post by Dammy »

The best option at this point is to allow Eguavoen to continue. Rohr is the past and that chapter is closed. The NFF need to hire quality backup for him and stop the quota system of assistant coaches.
Senegal have such a system in place and Eguavoen will learn from this. This is not the time to experiment with a new coach as the WCQs against Ghana is in less than 2 months and there are no matches in between.
I am happy
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Odas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 am are we seriously expecting Pesiero (who wasn't even in cameroon to watch the team) to take over ? Seriously ?

Now this hiring of Egu is looking even more a horrible mistake. Why would we hire a part time coach.

Either hire Egu or hire Peseiro. This in between nonsense was just a big waste of time.
Whaaaat? The NEWLY hired coach wasn't in Cameroon? I thought it was said he will be there to watch the games and observe the players
That's a big issue now. The only sensible thing is to let Eguavoen continue for the playoffs or else we can say good bye to the world cup. We have seen too little of Eguavoen, he needs time to select his own players and camp longer with them.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:24 am EGu 11

Coaching IS the problem. It certainly was today,

It was clear well before their goal and our red card, that Egu was being outcoached. They figured him out and he failed to adjust. This loss was on him. completely outcoached by an assistant of all things.
Yes, that was in the first half, in the second half, the issue seemed to be addressed but was only agravated by Iwobi's red card. How come no one is complaining about the pure penalty we were meant to have in the first half? Why didn't VAR even take a look at it, also there was an incident in which Olayinka went down in the box during a counter, not ever a replay was shown talkless of VAR.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:55 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:50 am
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 am are we seriously expecting Pesiero (who wasn't even in cameroon to watch the team) to take over ? Seriously ?

Now this hiring of Egu is looking even more a horrible mistake. Why would we hire a part time coach.

Either hire Egu or hire Peseiro. This in between nonsense was just a big waste of time.
But you cheered when **** was fired, abi level headed folks were telling you that it was too late in the game to fire him, I personally said though I don't like him NFF should see out their contract with him as they agreed to it and he has achieved every single goal they set for him , but this your sudden buyers remorse get as e be...I even remember you saying nothing can be worse than **** we need to get rid of him immediately. It never occurred to you that the same incompetent people who waited till last minute to fire **** were the same ones you were counting on to replace him? Why didn't you say this interim change was a problem when it was announced? Now you are doing monday morning quarterbacking b/c things didn't go your way...na real wa
Yeah.. Like we've suddenly forgotten how you were waxing lyrical, hyping up Eguavoen as the second coming of Pep when we beat Egypt, Susan and GB... how did that turn out now?
One thing Egu did show is our team with the same players CAN attack and CAN beat a team with a World Class player...some reasons why folks had gripes with the previous coach. So where do we go from here? Who can have us be good in attack and also tactically strong in other aspects with multiple strategies to deploy given the progression of game play...
You continue to spew the same lie hoping that nobody will call you out. Rohr beat Cameroon, Algeria, South Africa in competitive matches by playing good football. You can’t rewrite history. His trouble started when he was struggling to beat so called minnows at home and his weak performance at the World Cup.

You guys still fail to see the weaknesses in the personnel on the pitch. We are not as strong as we were in 2016-2018. And Rohr ran out of ideas on how to improve us. Eguavoen on the other hand managed to get them to play a few games well. Bur if you watch our 3 games closely, you would have noticed the same weakness of creating chances and free flowing football apart the game against Egypt. We have personnel problems but we refuse to accept it.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 am The best option at this point is to allow Eguavoen to continue. Rohr is the past and that chapter is closed. The NFF need to hire quality backup for him and stop the quota system of assistant coaches.
Senegal have such a system in place and Eguavoen will learn from this. This is not the time to experiment with a new coach as the WCQs against Ghana is in less than 2 months and there are no matches in between.
Quota system? Salisu is a better coach that Eguavoen any day and the best coach on the bench yesterday but his corruption Indictment is an issue for me.

If Eguavoen manages the team against Ghana, we will not qualify. Old habits don’t die easily. He will bring in his preferred players and mess up team chemistry and he would be out coached again. We are not in a good place.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

NFF have no choice but to beg Eguavoen to continue at this point. Perseiro wasn’t even Cameroon as an observer. With no preparatory games before the WC playoffs it will be a disaster to have him takeover on the eve of a West-African derby with WC ticket on the line. That would be insane. At least Eguavoen has had 4 competitive matches and some training sessions to get to know the players. Let him take them to the playoffs, and WC should they qualify. Then after that, decide on the way forward. They have no choice but to take their chance with Eguavoen!
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Goalgetter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm NFF have no choice but to beg Eguavoen to continue at this point. Perseiro wasn’t even Cameroon as an observer. With no preparatory games before the WC playoffs it will be a disaster to have him takeover on the eve of a West-African derby with WC ticket on the line. That would be insane. At least Eguavoen has had 4 competitive matches and some training sessions to get to know the players. Let him take them to the playoffs, and WC should they qualify. Then after that, decide on the way forward. They have no choice but to take their chance with Eguavoen!
Keeping Eguavoen will also give us an advantage over Ghana, as they are looking for a new coach while we have continuity.
I am happy
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

gochino wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:16 am
Odas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 am

Whaaaat? The NEWLY hired coach wasn't in Cameroon? I thought it was said he will be there to watch the games and observe the players
That's a big issue now. The only sensible thing is to let Eguavoen continue for the playoffs or else we can say good bye to the world cup. We have seen too little of Eguavoen, he needs time to select his own players and camp longer with them.
Thus the new coach (Pesiero) wasn't in Cameroon, and so didn't observe/watch anything?

If so, Eguavoen please come back, please. I dey beg you, 'biko.'
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

But for Okoye's howler, that game goes into overtime. Iwobi didnt help either but Okoye really did them in but it didnt look good before that either sha. They dont seem to be able to handle determined teams with technical ability, they get intimidated and start ball watching.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 am
Dammy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 am The best option at this point is to allow Eguavoen to continue. Rohr is the past and that chapter is closed. The NFF need to hire quality backup for him and stop the quota system of assistant coaches.
Quota system? Salisu is a better coach that Eguavoen any day and the best coach on the bench yesterday but his corruption Indictment is an issue for me.

If Eguavoen manages the team against Ghana, we will not qualify. Old habits don’t die easily. He will bring in his preferred players and mess up team chemistry and he would be out coached again. We are not in a good place.
What's the metric used to conclude that Salisu is better than Eguavoen?

I know you like statistics, Eguavoen's record at thos AFCON is 3 wins out of 4 which is 75% win rate :taunt: If you add that to his previous tenure I believe it will be much better than that of Rohr
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

wanaj0 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:53 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 am

What's the metric used to conclude that Salisu is better than Eguavoen?

I know you like statistics, Eguavoen's record at thos AFCON is 3 wins out of 4 which is 75% win rate :taunt: If you add that to his previous tenure I believe it will be much better than that of Rohr
So you now want us to use statistics to judge? Do you now believe that Rohr's is a better coach than Keshi since he has a far better winning ratio than Keshi?
Last edited by Lolly on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

oscar52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm But for Okoye's howler, that game goes into overtime. Iwobi didnt help either but Okoye really did them in but it didnt look good before that either sha. They dont seem to be able to handle determined teams with technical ability, they get intimidated and start ball watching.
We didn't have a single shot on target in the first half and only one shot on target the whole 95 minutes. And you still want us to believe we would have scored?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 pm
oscar52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm But for Okoye's howler, that game goes into overtime. Iwobi didnt help either but Okoye really did them in but it didnt look good before that either sha. They dont seem to be able to handle determined teams with technical ability, they get intimidated and start ball watching.
We didn't have a single shot on target in the first half and only one shot on target the whole 95 minutes. And you still want us to believe we would have scored?
This just not TRUE. Please take a look at the CAF highlights. They are easily accessible.

11th - Aribo's shot blocked into corner from close.
13th - shot at goal blocked by a Tunisian player's hands but ok appeal denied.
16th? - Awoniyi's diving header deflected from four yards.

Bros, check the videos. They are accessible.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Eguavoen has rightly resigned from the interim position.

That is what honorable people do.

Resign and don't put the FA in a tough position by trying to hold onto an untenable position.

Let Pinnick hire the person that he wants and will give 100% support to.

The World Cup is more important to Pinnick than anything else. He won't want to jeopardize it as it is a quadrennial bonanza.

I wish the next guy the best of luck and full cooperation from every stakeholder.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:22 pm Eguavoen has rightly resigned from the interim position.

Resign and don't put the FA in a tough position by trying to hold onto an untenable position.

The World Cup is more important to Pinnick than anything else. He won't want to jeopardize it as it is a quadrennial bonanza.

I wish the next guy the best of luck and full cooperation from every stakeholder.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:13 pm
This just not TRUE. Please take a look at the CAF highlights. They are easily accessible.

Shots on target, bro. Deflected shots are not counted. There is a reason why they are recorded.

And it was clearly displayed on the match statistics at the end of the match.
Last edited by Lolly on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Goalgetter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm NFF have no choice but to beg Eguavoen to continue at this point. Perseiro wasn’t even Cameroon as an observer. With no preparatory games before the WC playoffs it will be a disaster to have him takeover on the eve of a West-African derby with WC ticket on the line. That would be insane. At least Eguavoen has had 4 competitive matches and some training sessions to get to know the players. Let him take them to the playoffs, and WC should they qualify. Then after that, decide on the way forward. They have no choice but to take their chance with Eguavoen!
I agree.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:22 pm Eguavoen has rightly resigned from the interim position.

At least he has taken responsibility for his failure and done the honourable thing. I give him props for that.

But I remember how he was getting excited last week on his regular media interviews telling everyone how he would be interested in taking the job on a permanent role. Egu should go and find a club and get a fulltime job coaching a team. That's the only way he can improve himself. He is nice guy but his coaching is outdated. Its still fresh in my memory he bungled up our Olympics qualification, inviting 101 foreign based players who had not played together for one day.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Two options seem to be:
a) retain him for the WCQs and then he returns to his TA role, and a new coach hired.
b) hire someone immediately for the WCQs

There are merits and downsides to both approaches.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:13 pm

Bear in mind, not all blocked shots are counted as 'on target'.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Honestly the best bet is for him to continue with technical assistance.

A brand new coach who wasn't with the team in Cameroon, who won't have any friendlies and less than a week to get things going before Ghana will be a disaster.

Our only saving grave is that Ghana is in the same position. We couldn't have hoped for a better opponent.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:58 pm Honestly the best bet is for him to continue with technical assistance.

A brand new coach who wasn't with the team in Cameroon, who won't have any friendlies and less than a week to get things going before Ghana will be a disaster.

Our only saving grave is that Ghana is in the same position. We couldn't have hoped for a better opponent.

Why will it be a disaster? Surely the NFF has a plan since this was the inevitable outcome when Eguaveon was appointed as "interim coach" while a "substantive head coach" was sought. I asked the question back as the appointment made zero sense for one person to take a team to a tournament only to turn the ropes over to someone else... Nothing has changed, even if Egu won the Nations cup, we would be in the same quandry...
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I am torn.

I went to bed last night thinking he HAD to go because even if we squeak by Ghana, there will be better coaches waiting at the WC.

I wake up this morning now saying to myself that the reason i supported firing Rohr was because the new coach was going to use the AFCON to get to know the players and be ready for the WCQ. Unfortunately Pinnick put Eguavoen there and the so called new coach still does not know his team. It will be disastrous to have him get us ready for the WCQ. He should have coached us in this AFCON.

Our best bet is Eguavoen actually LEARNED from this painful loss. His post match presser did not look like someone who did. I can forgive him for his emotions getting the best of him at that point and hope that upon reflection he would have seen the folly of his ways in that came. He waited till they scored to react.

Sigh.