Eguavoen must Continue

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavoen must Continue

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 am are we seriously expecting Pesiero (who wasn't even in cameroon to watch the team) to take over ? Seriously ?

Now this hiring of Egu is looking even more a horrible mistake. Why would we hire a part time coach.

Either hire Egu or hire Peseiro. This in between nonsense was just a big waste of time.
But you cheered when **** was fired, abi level headed folks were telling you that it was too late in the game to fire him, I personally said though I don't like him NFF should see out their contract with him as they agreed to it and he has achieved every single goal they set for him , but this your sudden buyers remorse get as e be...I even remember you saying nothing can be worse than **** we need to get rid of him immediately. It never occurred to you that the same incompetent people who waited till last minute to fire **** were the same ones you were counting on to replace him? Why didn't you say this interim change was a problem when it was announced? Now you are doing monday morning quarterbacking b/c things didn't go your way...na real wa
i still think firing Rohr was the right move.

If you go back I had always had a problem with Egu coaching "interim" when the NFF had already identified the man to lead SE to World Cup.

what is the point of having an interim coach when you have your actual coach, but for some reason, you dont want him to start YET.

To make matters worse Peseiro wasn't even in Cameroon. I thought he would even be on the bench with Egu, but the guy wasn't even in the stands.

We are in trouble.

NFF fumbled, either you hire Peseiro permanently or you hire Egu permanently. You dont dilly dally around and have an ambiguous situation.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:21 am Actually, on 2nd thought, I think we don't have a choice but tonstick with Eguavoen and get him better assistants or whatever. Hiring Peseiro would be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.what made me change my mind was the fact that we never got to see what effect Egu's initial sub would've made because of I-wobi's red card. Moreover, Egu did get the team to play with more urgency and to believe, that cannot be underestimated. To pay an unknown coach big money at this stage seems illogical. Bring him back.
Eguavoen won't stay as coach, he is SCARED
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:21 am Actually, on 2nd thought, I think we don't have a choice but tonstick with Eguavoen and get him better assistants or whatever. Hiring Peseiro would be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.what made me change my mind was the fact that we never got to see what effect Egu's initial sub would've made because of I-wobi's red card. Moreover, Egu did get the team to play with more urgency and to believe, that cannot be underestimated. To pay an unknown coach big money at this stage seems illogical. Bring him back.
I read his statement regarding his job, he didn't really resign but said he would go back to his old job and let the Nff make a decision. If they give him the job he'll stay.

Let's face it. We've paid a penalty in for interrupting team development by firing Rohr and paid in results and money. Peseiro, if hired is unlikely to stay after the WC and might not even qualify. It's a dicey situation. Give Eguavoen a 2yr contract, reinforce him with quality help and make adjustments. Afterall, that's all a new coach would do. We have to learn to build!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:31 am
I read his statement regarding his job, he didn't really resign but said he would go back to his old job and let the Nff make a decision. If they give him the job he'll stay.

Let's face it. We've paid a penalty in for interrupting team development by firing Rohr and paid in results and money. Peseiro, if hired is unlikely to stay after the WC and might not even qualify. It's a dicey situation. Give Eguavoen a 2yr contract, reinforce him with quality help and make adjustments. Afterall, that's all a new coach would do. We have to learn to build!

Emir,

I hope you are correct on this.. I think that when things calm down, the NFF will realize that Nigeria's best bet at the moment is to keep Eguavoen as Manager. Here is why?

1. While Egu did not solve the Tunisian defense in the opening half, there is nothing to assume that the gamer would not have been won in the second half given our domination erven with a man less. Although the one man disadvantage eventually hurt us, the team put up a fight and may be a few inches on Sadiq's shot, two pk claims that the replay shows were Tunisia handling deep in the box.

2. The team is certainly re-energized under Eguavoen. There is little doubt about this.

3. This was a loss in four appearances. In my view, NFF decisions need to be based on a pattern of results. I have mentioned this severally. Rohr, for instance, lost at the group stage of the last AFCON to Madagascar but we came out of it to advance to third place. That never deserved a sack. His sack eventually was justified but there were a series (not one) of disappointing home results.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:05 am

Emir,

I hope you are correct on this.. I think that when things calm down, the NFF will realize that Nigeria's best bet at the moment is to keep Eguavoen as Manager. Here is why?

1. While Egu did not solve the Tunisian defense in the opening half, there is nothing to assume that the gamer would not have been won in the second half given our domination erven with a man less. Although the one man disadvantage eventually hurt us, the team put up a fight and may be a few inches on Sadiq's shot, two pk claims that the replay shows were Tunisia handling deep in the box.

2. The team is certainly re-energized under Eguavoen. There is little doubt about this.

3. This was a loss in four appearances. In my view, NFF decisions need to be based on a pattern of results. I have mentioned this severally. Rohr, for instance, lost at the group stage of the last AFCON to Madagascar but we came out of it to advance to third place. That never deserved a sack. His sack eventually was justified but there were a series (not one) of disappointing home results.

Pinnick has wanted Peseiro all along. I think that's who we'll end up with, even though it puts us in a bind because he doesn't know our players and we have a World Cup playoff to prosecute.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

mystic wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:14 am

Emir,

Pinnick has wanted Peseiro all along. I think that's who we'll end up with, even though it puts us in a bind because he doesn't know our players and we have a World Cup playoff to prosecute.
the guy didn't even have the decency to watch the team from the stands, and he will now lead us ?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Emir,

Mystic,

In my view, the loss has to be analyzed based on its circumstance. Certainly, Egu had difficulty solving the defense in the wide areas in the first half. However, going down via fluke shot so early in the second half meant that it was an UPHILL task. A task that was further complicated with Iwobi (brought in to deal with the wide problems) was barely on and .....0-1.....DOWN by A PLAYER. These are not easy circumstances. Yet, the team controlled much of the play. .... two pk appeals were ignored and then Sadiq misses by a whisker.

What is the importance of the above? I do not see the coaching as the problem. NOT BY A MILE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EGu 11

Coaching IS the problem. It certainly was today,

It was clear well before their goal and our red card, that Egu was being outcoached. They figured him out and he failed to adjust. This loss was on him. completely outcoached by an assistant of all things.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:21 am

Emir,

Mystic,

In my view, the loss has to be analyzed based on its circumstance. Certainly, Egu had difficulty solving the defense in the wide areas in the first half. However, going down via fluke shot so early in the second half meant that it was an UPHILL task. A task that was further complicated with Iwobi (brought in to deal with the wide problems) was barely on and .....0-1.....DOWN by A PLAYER. These are not easy circumstances. Yet, the team controlled much of the play. .... two pk appeals were ignored and then Sadiq misses by a whisker.

What is the importance of the above? I do not see the coaching as the problem. NOT BY A MILE.
I'm not stating my opinion. I'm just saying what I think that Pinnick will do. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we stick with Eguavoen.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:19 am

Emir,

the guy didn't even have the decency to watch the team from the stands, and he will now lead us ?
Well let's see what happens. I think he's Pinnick's guy.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:24 am EGu 11

It was clear well before their goal and our red card, that Egu was being outcoached. They figured him out and he failed to adjust. This loss was on him. completely outcoached by an assistant of all things.
VE,

No one doubts that Egu was outcoached in the opening half.. I doubt that any one disagrees with that conclusion.

However, went down surprisingly after having been on top. Even then, it appeared that Nigeria would at least tie the game up. Instead, things happened quickly. The most disastrous was going a man down while chasing an equalizer.... Further two pk calls (replay shows the Tunisians handled two times inside the box) without a VR check. In my view, the result of this game was impacted greatly by those circumstances as the Tunisians did not outplay the SE. Based on those, I would be comfortable with Egu remaining as Manager.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Was there a signed contract to hire him on the part of the NFF?
Decency my behind.
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:19 am the guy didn't even have the decency to watch the team from the stands, and he will now lead us ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I never said Tunisia outplayed Nigeria. They did not.

Their assistant coach however made Egu look like a complete novice. This was a catastrophic embarassment.

at the end he was throwing on Musa and Olayinka.

It was like a dazed boxer trying to throw open punches that would never land. It was pathetic to be honest. Such a shame for a guy who started brightly but ultimately this match exposed Egu bad as a stubborn ONE DIMENSIOAL COACH.

Him continuing is probably the best option, simply because he knows the players. But added technical help would be great.

If he cannot figure out in 4 matches the importance of having 3 central midfielders when his attack is blunted (strikers and wingers isolated) and our defense was under pressure due to Ndidi being overworked, then I dont really fancy him as a coach.

His insistence with 422 is simply outdated.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

EII
All na 'woulda, shoulda, coulda...'
History books would affirm we lost to Tunisia - no matter how lousy the officiating was and how tactically inept the Nigerian coaching crew were.
It's crystal clear Eguavoen and his coaching crew were outcoached today. He failed the one real test the team faced in this tournament. He was like a deer in the headlights.
It's likely that Ghana will get the better of Nigeria if Eguavoen stays in charge. The writing is on the wall.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:27 am

VE,

No one doubts that Egu was outcoached in the opening half.. I doubt that any one disagrees with that conclusion.

However, went down surprisingly after having been on top. Even then, it appeared that Nigeria would at least tie the game up. Instead, things happened quickly. The most disastrous was going a man down while chasing an equalizer.... Further two pk calls (replay shows the Tunisians handled two times inside the box) without a VR check. In my view, the result of this game was impacted greatly by those circumstances as the Tunisians did not outplay the SE. Based on those, I would be comfortable with Egu remaining as Manager.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:37 am EII
History books would affirm we lost to Tunisia - no matter how lousy the officiating was and how tactically inept the Nigerian coaching crew were.
It's crystal clear Eguavoen and his coaching crew were outcoached today. He failed the one real test the team faced in this tournament. He was like a deer in the headlights.
It's likely that Ghana will get the better of Nigeria if Eguavoen stays in charge. The writing is on the wall.

VE,

I think Egu will do just fine. I would not fire a Manager based on one game.. No Manager wins them all. You fire a Manager based on a pattern of results. This is why you do not act based on an aberration. I will feel more confident having Egu handle the next outings than to have an entirely new manager who may bring an entirely different outlook. We shall see.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:37 am EII

VE,

Are you assuming that there's a magician out there who will come and Abracadabra us into the WC? We have to learn to make things better and not just start over all the time. We don't know what would've happened if we didn't get ref card. I'm sure there's a coach out there who's a magician but I'd be more suspect of him if he ended up in Nigeria.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Egu is not it as a coach

but there is no other option.

He should stay and have additions to the technical team. He needs to also be told to abandon this stupid 442.

Playing that nonsense in Qatar (should we qualify) will be suicide.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:46 am Egu is not it as a coach

He should stay and have additions to the technical team. He needs to also be told to abandon this stupid 442.

I think the better option would've been to start with 443 with Nwakali in then bring on a winger in the 2nd to put pressure on Tunisia.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Not assuming anything here, but focused on reality.
The issue with Nigeria was self inflicted, so we will have to live with the consequences of our decisions.
Meanwhile, Ghana no longer feel like they are the bottom of the barrel. Nigeria, with all the chatter about going all the way got taken out by a third place team.
All games between Ghana and Nigeria have always been a dog fight. Ghana will now believe they have something to fight for and will come guns blazing.
I really don't believe Eguavoen has the guts to outwit Ghana tactically and strategically. Remember, he was in charge during the 'Brentford Massacre', when Ghana beat Nigeria 4-1 with largely its U20 team.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:42 am Are you assuming that there's a magician out there who will come and Abracadabra us into the WC? We have to learn to make things better and not just start over all the time. We don't know what would've happened if we didn't get ref card. I'm sure there's a coach out there who's a magician but I'd be more suspect of him if he ended up in Nigeria.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

We shall see.
He has been beaten twice by Tunisia in succession.
Ghana will more than likely do the same.
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:41 am I think Egu will do just fine. I would not fire a Manager based on one game.. No Manager wins them all. You fire a Manager based on a pattern of results. This is why you do not act based on an aberration. I will feel more confident having Egu handle the next outings than to have an entirely new manager who may bring an entirely different outlook. We shall see.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:55 am

I think the better option would've been to start with 443 with Nwakali in then bring on a winger in the 2nd to put pressure on Tunisia.
its like he didn't learn anything from the match where he played the guys on the bench.

No matter if you keep winning, you must always be looking to IMPROVE your team. Especially when your victories are against mediocre opposition, and tougher challenges lie ahead.

Chukwueze should have never started that match.

Sadiq should have come on no later than the start of the second half.

Nwakali should definately have been on at some point.

Nacho should have been yanked at half time.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:06 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:55 am

its like he didn't learn anything from the match where he played the guys on the bench.

No matter if you keep winning, you must always be looking to IMPROVE your team. Especially when your victories are against mediocre opposition, and tougher challenges lie ahead.

Chukwueze should have never started that match.

Sadiq should have come on no later than the start of the second half.

Nwakali should definately have been on at some point.

Nacho should have been yanked at half time.

Rigidity. It's the problem with Eguavoen and other local coaches. They refuse to try new ideas or make adjustments that might necessarily be in order with their own approach. Same with oliseh .
OCCUPY NFF!!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:21 am
maceo4 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:43 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 am are we seriously expecting Pesiero (who wasn't even in cameroon to watch the team) to take over ? Seriously ?

Now this hiring of Egu is looking even more a horrible mistake. Why would we hire a part time coach.

Either hire Egu or hire Peseiro. This in between nonsense was just a big waste of time.
But you cheered when **** was fired, abi level headed folks were telling you that it was too late in the game to fire him, I personally said though I don't like him NFF should see out their contract with him as they agreed to it and he has achieved every single goal they set for him , but this your sudden buyers remorse get as e be...I even remember you saying nothing can be worse than **** we need to get rid of him immediately. It never occurred to you that the same incompetent people who waited till last minute to fire **** were the same ones you were counting on to replace him? Why didn't you say this interim change was a problem when it was announced? Now you are doing monday morning quarterbacking b/c things didn't go your way...na real wa
i still think firing Rohr was the right move.

If you go back I had always had a problem with Egu coaching "interim" when the NFF had already identified the man to lead SE to World Cup.

what is the point of having an interim coach when you have your actual coach, but for some reason, you dont want him to start YET.

To make matters worse Peseiro wasn't even in Cameroon. I thought he would even be on the bench with Egu, but the guy wasn't even in the stands.

We are in trouble.

NFF fumbled, either you hire Peseiro permanently or you hire Egu permanently. You dont dilly dally around and have an ambiguous situation.
I always said Egu was crap.

I was also against the sacking of Rohr. I advocated for better Nigerian assistant like Finidi to help chnage the teams style to a Nigerian one.

Guys, Peseiro is CRAP!!!