PEOPLE, WE HAVE A COACHING PROBLEM...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet
PEOPLE, WE HAVE A COACHING PROBLEM...

Post by Riche007 »

No doubt, we got most of our tactics right in the group stages. However, today, there was hardly any pivot to counter the Tunisian compact strategy.
What was even more concerning is that after the goal, Egu's response with his substitutions did not make any logical sense.
Super Eagles, we've got a problem!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PEOPLE, WE HAVE A COACHING PROBLEM...

Post by airwolex »

We have to find s middle ground between being pragmatic, like Rohr, or more expansive like Eguaveon. It is a real conundrum. There are no real easy answers
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Yes we have a problem.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Should've known when Egu started demonstrating how Nigeria plays on a table when he mentioned Temile and Nwosu. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 pm We have to find s middle ground between being pragmatic, like Rohr, or more expansive like Eguaveon. It is a real conundrum. There are no real easy answers
Today's game was less about expansiveness and more to do with reading the game and making the necessary adjustments. It was obvious to everyone that our wing play was ineffective, yet we did little from the middle. Iwobi was subbed on, he got a red card...then, we start throwing in subs that made little sense. Egu panicked big time.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

To be fair to Eguavoen, I think bringing on Iwobi was the right call because he probably wanted to play through the middle more using Iwobi. It was unfortunate tho that Iwobi got a harsh red card. Bringing on Olayinka was strange.

Tunisia's strategy was to clog both wings. It didn't help that Simon was holding on to the ball too long and that Chuwkueze is predictable since he is always looking to cut in. Eguavoen's attempt to switch patterns was foiled by the red card. The Olayinka substitution didn't help matters.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:32 pm Should've known when Egu started demonstrating how Nigeria plays on a table when he mentioned Temile and Nwosu. :laugh:
:rotf:
when?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Iwobi was the right substitution given that Nacho was sitting on a yellow card. Sadiq should have started the game.
Riche007 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:25 pm No doubt, we got most of our tactics right in the group stages. However, today, there was hardly any pivot to counter the Tunisian compact strategy.
What was even more concerning is that after the goal, Egu's response with his substitutions did not make any logical sense.
Super Eagles, we've got a problem!
Last edited by 1naija on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

olu wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 pm To be fair to Eguavoen, I think bringing on Iwobi was the right call because he probably wanted to play through the middle more using Iwobi. It was unfortunate tho that Iwobi got a harsh red card. Bringing on Olayinka was strange.

Tunisia's strategy was to clog both wings. It didn't help that Simon was holding on to the ball too long and that Chuwkueze is predictable since he is always looking to cut in. Eguavoen's attempt to switch patterns was foiled by the red card. The Olayinka substitution didn't help matters.
That's the point...Iwobi gets a red card within a few mins of coming on, then he panics.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Eff it let me just let it out……

Sudan came with the exact same game plan as Tunisia. Luckily we scored an early goal but Egu noticed the ineffectiveness of Samu once teams loaded up on the wings and brought on Iwobi who completely changed d dynamic of our attack and balanced the game especially once Nwakali joined d fray.

I expected the same response at half time today.

For some reason we came out the exact same way in the exact same shape with the exact same attacking patterns when it was obvious it wasn’t working. It’s like both coaches were waiting for each other. Which is very ironic considering Eguavoen did not wait against Sudan.

Iwobi needed to come in but for Samu not Kelechi.

Kelechi substitution I can very much understand it. The yellow card and the stamp on him few mins before the sub meant he had to come off. But Iwobi should have been on earlier for Samu. If Kelechi had to come off maybe Henry could have come on since Ejuke was not on the bench.

Olayinka for Awoniyi was a head scratcher. Eguavoen was thinking it was a personnel issue not a tactical one. That was very poor reading of the game.

At 10 men, our adjustments were not cohesive. We just Dey play with no direction. It showed a coach who didn’t really know his players. He was just throwing everything.

Egu faced some adversity today and flopped. Flopped badly too.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 pm We have to find s middle ground between being pragmatic, like Rohr, or more expansive like Eguaveon. It is a real conundrum. There are no real easy answers

It's not just about being pragmatic or expansive. It's also about being able to adjust and counter what your opponents are doing on the day.

That being said we only have a coaching problem if Peseiro isn't the right man for the job. It's a shame that he wasn't at Afcon.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

In truth we only really played with good organization in the first half against Egypt.

Our next two games produced good results but not much by way of good organization or fluidity in developing our play, relying more and more on individual play.

Today we could not find solutions to the Tunisian organization.

And after the red card, it was all free form. I found that to be quite troubling.

I would not recommend Eguavoen for coach.

But he needs to be commended for his efforts under very untenable circumstances.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

olu wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 pm To be fair to Eguavoen, I think bringing on Iwobi was the right call because he probably wanted to play through the middle more using Iwobi. It was unfortunate tho that Iwobi got a harsh red card. Bringing on Olayinka was strange.

Same Olayinka that created our best chance of the game with the cross to Moses that beat out the entire Tunisian defense and left him one v one with the keeper. Crosses that we had been screaming about all tournament long that we need to do better with them? But sure his substitution didn't help matters...ok o...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 am In truth we only really played with good organization in the first half against Egypt.

Our next two games produced good results but not much by way of good organization or fluidity in developing our play, relying more and more on individual play.

And after the red card, it was all free form. I found that to be quite troubling.

But he needs to be commended for his efforts under very untenable circumstances.
Agreed...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Perhaps after this we might learn to give a little more respect for planning , hard work and good decision-making.

The idea that you can be successful out of chaos is frankly the most stupid thing i ever heard

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Maceo4 the flip-flopper
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 am In truth we only really played with good organization in the first half against Egypt.

I agree. We never really improved as the tournament went on which isn't a good sign. I was hoping that we wouldn't get found out until the Semis. But it wasn't meant to be.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:32 pm Should've known when Egu started demonstrating how Nigeria plays on a table when he mentioned Temile and Nwosu. :laugh:
should have known when he insisted on 442.

He had me fooled, he made us think it could work after 3 matches.

But like I had said, it will be found out against better opponents. Tunisia studied and packed the midfield and crowded out Simon.

If Egu was a top coach he would have switched to a 433 before the end of the first half. When the second half started and I saw he made no changes, I knew we were done.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

We overloaded the team with wingers and fwds and yet very few midfielders, Ndidi was once again overplayed as the lone DM...
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:34 am Perhaps after this we might learn to give a little more respect for planning , hard work and good decision-making.

The idea that you can be successful out of chaos is frankly the most stupid thing i ever heard
It's a Nigerian thing unfortunately. And the fact that we've occasionally succeeded in spite of getting in our own way means that we never learn.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:36 am
should have known when he insisted on 442.

He had me fooled, he made us think it could work after 3 matches.

But like I had said, it will be found out against better opponents. Tunisia studied and packed the midfield and crowded out Simon.

If Egu was a top coach he would have switched to a 433 before the end of the first half. When the second half started and I saw he made no changes, I knew we were done.

It's not about formations

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am We overloaded the team with wingers and fwds and yet very few midfielders, Ndidi was once again overplayed as the lone DM...
We had two central midfielders, Aribo and Ndidi

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:40 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am We overloaded the team with wingers and fwds and yet very few midfielders, Ndidi was once again overplayed as the lone DM...
We had two central midfielders, Aribo and Ndidi
Which still proves my point, we're absolutely nullified when the Tunisians crowded out that midfield.