PEOPLE, WE HAVE A COACHING PROBLEM...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PEOPLE, WE HAVE A COACHING PROBLEM...

Post by txj »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:45 am
txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:40 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am We overloaded the team with wingers and fwds and yet very few midfielders, Ndidi was once again overplayed as the lone DM...
We had two central midfielders, Aribo and Ndidi
Which still proves my point, we're absolutely nullified when the Tunisians crowded out that midfield.

We also had Kele playing just ahead of them.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:10 am Eff it let me just let it out……

Sudan came with the exact same game plan as Tunisia. Luckily we scored an early goal but Egu noticed the ineffectiveness of Samu once teams loaded up on the wings and brought on Iwobi who completely changed d dynamic of our attack and balanced the game especially once Nwakali joined d fray.

I expected the same response at half time today.

For some reason we came out the exact same way in the exact same shape with the exact same attacking patterns when it was obvious it wasn’t working. It’s like both coaches were waiting for each other. Which is very ironic considering Eguavoen did not wait against Sudan.

Iwobi needed to come in but for Samu not Kelechi.

Kelechi substitution I can very much understand it. The yellow card and the stamp on him few mins before the sub meant he had to come off. But Iwobi should have been on earlier for Samu. If Kelechi had to come off maybe Henry could have come on since Ejuke was not on the bench.

Olayinka for Awoniyi was a head scratcher. Eguavoen was thinking it was a personnel issue not a tactical one. That was very poor reading of the game.

At 10 men, our adjustments were not cohesive. We just Dey play with no direction. It showed a coach who didn’t really know his players. He was just throwing everything.

Egu faced some adversity today and flopped. Flopped badly too.
Strange that, You are comparing Tunisia and Sudan. Tunisia may have struggled at the group stage
but they ain't no Sudan, that is why they progressed to the knock out stage and Sudan is back home.
Egypt was outright piss poor and Nigeria defeating Egypt without Egypt posing any threat gave everybody,
the players and even Egu over confidence that the match against Tunisia was a forgone conclusion and
Nigeria's to lose.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:36 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:32 pm Should've known when Egu started demonstrating how Nigeria plays on a table when he mentioned Temile and Nwosu. :laugh:
should have known when he insisted on 442.

He had me fooled, he made us think it could work after 3 matches.

But like I had said, it will be found out against better opponents. Tunisia studied and packed the midfield and crowded out Simon.

If Egu was a top coach he would have switched to a 433 before the end of the first half. When the second half started and I saw he made no changes, I knew we were done.

It's not about formations
sure. whatever you say

Your 2 strikers are isolated

Your 2 wingers are crowded out running into culdesacs

there is no creativity in the middle and Ndidi is defending by himself.

Sure not about formations. ok.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:47 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am We overloaded the team with wingers and fwds and yet very few midfielders, Ndidi was once again overplayed as the lone DM...
Which still proves my point, we're absolutely nullified when the Tunisians crowded out that midfield.

who IS NOT A MIDFIELDER

and has a hard time trapping the ball.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:05 am

who IS NOT A MIDFIELDER

I'm yet to meet a footballer who was born with the tag midfielder.

The game is not really about formations but roles.

Somehow you seem incapable of making the mental transition.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:56 am

who IS NOT A MIDFIELDER

you seem incapable of understanding that no matter whatever you want to call that role, Nacho is piss poor at it. Main reason he has very poor touch and cannot drive forward with the ball.

Iwobi, Aribo, even Nwakali are all better suited.

For some reason Rohr, Egu, and even you all fail to see the obvious. The odd goal here and there cloud your judgement, but Nacho has been piss poor for SE for a long time. He's just a very good finisher, poor at almost everything else.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

who IS NOT A MIDFIELDER

EXACTLY. Moreover, most of these players can play several roles.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:14 am

who IS NOT A MIDFIELDER

but can they play them well.

Afterall an outfield player from Comoros WILL PLAY IN GOAL TOMORROW. I guess that is his ideal position.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:14 am

who IS NOT A MIDFIELDER

but can they play them well.

Afterall an outfield player from Comoros WILL PLAY IN GOAL TOMORROW. I guess that is his ideal position.

The Comoros example is an outlier and not related to this. And u should know that really...

Kele has scored goals from that position, similar to Kanu back in the days.

You need to focus on the roles definition and how it fits in the overall game plan, and then of course the player's performance. Don't get stuck on formations. They are just numbers ultimately...

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:29 am In truth we only really played with good organization in the first half against Egypt.

Our next two games produced good results but not much by way of good organization or fluidity in developing our play, relying more and more on individual play.

Today we could not find solutions to the Tunisian organization.

And after the red card, it was all free form. I found that to be quite troubling.

I would not recommend Eguavoen for coach.

But he needs to be commended for his efforts under very untenable circumstances.
That's exactly what I saw. And one of the analysts on Supersports coverage said Nigeria might outscore the opponents but they would not outplay them and that our defence is not that strong. We wee schooled yesterday in the art of football.

Egu tried but I don't rate him. I don't rate Rohr highly but he too tried for us.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Riche007 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:25 pm No doubt, we got most of our tactics right in the group stages. However, today, there was hardly any pivot to counter the Tunisian compact strategy.
What was even more concerning is that after the goal, Egu's response with his substitutions did not make any logical sense.
Super Eagles, we've got a problem!
Egu blows hard again!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

We didnt have a coaching issue until people here clamored to fire the coach.

I have warned you again and again, if you and Bigpokey are on the same side of any issue, you need to question your life choices. You didnt listen.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 pm We have to find s middle ground between being pragmatic, like Rohr, or more expansive like Eguaveon. It is a real conundrum. There are no real easy answers
Pray tell, what about Eguavoen’s strategy against Ghana was expansive. Slow and ponderous in making changes. Weak in making decisions…There is no contrast of pragmatism vs expansive here
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet