We should learn to assess our players honestly

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We should learn to assess our players honestly

Post by maceo4 »

Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:43 pm
1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:35 pm 1. Awonyi was a waste of space
2. Akpeyi is the best Nigerian goalkeeper, followed by Uzoho.
3. Sadiq belongs in the SE. Call him clumsy or whatever.
4. I am not sure what value Olayinka adds to the team.

We must stop rattling off names of every player that occasionally scored a goal for his club.
Awoniyi is overhyped

Sadiq frankly looks a much more effective striker while Awoniyi just "works hard"

Olayinka was always just a waste

Okoye is a basket keeper. At this point I think I will prefer Akpeyi, and that is saying something.
Sadiq is a far better striker than Awoniyi….mace04 remember?

Okoye is a kid with better attributes than Akpeyi and Just slightly better than Uzoho

Awoniyi is a back up at best. Ighalo has no business in the team….I will welcome V.Moses though

Forward line of

Moses Oshimen and Dennis will cause Havoc
Bro, they are all backups compared to Osimhen, what are y'all not getting? None are the type that can win you a tourney, you guys are celebrating that one is a lesser wastepipe than another, like is that something to celebrate? They shouldn't even be playing if our main guys were available...I just don't get the point of the argument about who is the less waste pipy amongst the subs...lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:00 pm

We must stop rattling off names of every player that occasionally scored a goal for his club.
Awoniyi is overhyped

Sadiq frankly looks a much more effective striker while Awoniyi just "works hard"

Okoye is a basket keeper. At this point I think I will prefer Akpeyi, and that is saying something.

Okoye is a kid with better attributes than Akpeyi and Just slightly better than Uzoho

Awoniyi is a back up at best. Ighalo has no business in the team….I will welcome V.Moses though

Forward line of

Bro, they are all backups compared to Osimhen, what are y'all not getting? None are the type that can win you a tourney, you guys are celebrating that one is a lesser wastepipe than another, like is that something to celebrate? They shouldn't even be playing if our main guys were available...I just don't get the point of the argument about who is the less waste pipy amongst the subs...lol
I don’t think Sadiq is a waste pipe….he is an able deputy to Oshimen…..Awoniyi is not
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:03 pm

Awoniyi is overhyped

Forward line of

I don’t think Sadiq is a waste pipe….he is an able deputy to Oshimen…..Awoniyi is not
Based on a his grand output of a simple tap in. You really think Osimhen is that useless...neither Sadiq nor Awoniyi can deputize for Osimhen, they are not even in the same ball park...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You clearly dont know what an assessment is!
airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm
1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 pm Honest assessment and bashing are not the same thing. We should leave non value adding players off the team.
airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:42 pm What an ironic post :rotf: :rotf:

We should learn to access our players honestly, then proceeds to bash players needlessly.
Honest assessment is that Awoniyi is a wastepipe and Akpeyi is better than Okoye? Na. This is anost dishonest post.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm

Awoniyi is overhyped

Forward line of

Based on a his grand output of a simple tap in. You really think Osimhen is that useless...neither Sadiq nor Awoniyi can deputize for Osimhen, they are not even in the same ball park...
Osimhen is Numero uno….we all agree on that….if it is 76 minutes and he is tired and we are winning 3-0 which striker would you like to bring on….that’s a deputy to me
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:09 pm You clearly dont know what an assessment is!
1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 pm Honest assessment and bashing are not the same thing. We should leave non value adding players off the team.

We should learn to access our players honestly, then proceeds to bash players needlessly.
Honest assessment is that Awoniyi is a wastepipe and Akpeyi is better than Okoye? Na. This is anost dishonest post.
You don't know what honest is
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:09 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm

Awoniyi is overhyped

Forward line of

Osimhen is Numero uno….we all agree on that….if it is 76 minutes and he is tired and we are winning 3-0 which striker would you like to bring on….that’s a deputy to me
maceo has invested too much in hating Sadiq.

He will not humble himself and admit that Sadiq is CLEARLY better than Awoniyi having much less time on the pitch.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija,

While, I think you are harsh on some of these players, I entirely agree on your view of Umar Sadiq. He is not Osimhen BUT clearly he has been full of hustle whenever he has been put on in this AFCON. Today, Nigeria's opportunities came alive only when he stepped on and was unlucky not to have secured a vital equalizer. Umar Sadiq belongs in the Super Eagles!!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

1. Awoniyi is a good player but this tournament revealed the cost of bringing rookie strikers to a competition as serious as the AFCON and it was always going to come back to bite us at some point. He'll be a good backup for Osimhen but needs more growth and experience.

2. Akpeyi isn't our best goalkeeper, but I hope that folks can now appreciate the job that he did for us in 2019.

3. I agree with you on Sadiq. Aside from the experience that Ighalo brings, he's our best alternative to Osimhen. He just needs more top level experience, both with the national team and at his clubside (hopefully they'll be promoted at the end of the season).

4. Olayinka is a useful backup. If we have all our forwards available, he doesn't get a look in. I thought he did a decent job today as opposed to the previous game.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You must be the one celebrating almost. I was only pointing out how one forward had several shots at goal and the other did not have one shot in 60 minutes to the extent he was subbed.
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 pm
1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:54 pm Nonsense. He didn't get service for 3 ganes? What service did Sadiq get that he almost equalized for us ? You have to put yourself in position to get service in the first place.
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 pm

1. Nonsense. he didn't get any service. We have no reliable attacking system.

2. Utter nonsense. I guess Neuer is a rubbish 'keeper because he has been beaten form distant many times

3. Agreed. sadiq would do MUCH better with decent service. See #1.

4. The jury is out on that one.
There it is, we are celebrating "ALMOST"....how low we've come without Osimhen...btw why aren't also celebrating the "ALMOST" that was the Simon 1 v 1 and whoever it was that created that...
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:15 pm

1naija,

While, I think you are harsh on some of these players, I entirely agree on your view of Umar Sadiq. He is not Osimhen BUT clearly he has been full of hustle whenever he has been put on in this AFCON. Today, Nigeria's opportunities came alive only when he stepped on and was unlucky not to have secured a vital equalizer. Umar Sadiq belongs in the Super Eagles!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes we only looked lively AFTER Sadiq came on.

But Maceo wants to keep pretending he did not notice.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enyi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:00 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm

2. Utter nonsense. I guess Neuer is a rubbish 'keeper because he has been beaten form distant many times

3. Agreed. sadiq would do MUCH better with decent service. See 31.

But I'm sure you can also find many videos of Neuer saving his country with outrageous saves, I pray you to find one (just one) of Okoye making anything other than routine saves. Yes a keeper can make a mistake, but Okoye has NEVER shown to be more than a routine save making keeper for the SE. He's never show he can be the difference maker back there. That is what you need as a NT GK, means you are the best of the best available and it should show. Yes you can make a mistake here or there, but there should still be a body of work showing why you are the best....Okoye doesn't have that, Uzoho does, even Akpeyi does...
Save against Salah wasn’t routine bro
It wasn't an intentional save, he made himself as big as he could and then hoped the attacker didn't beat him which luckily he didn't and the shot was so tame even if it went past Okoye's foot the retreating defenders would have cleared it before it crossed the line. Its a good save none the less, but is not what I'm talking about. I'm asking for shots where he pulls off an incredible reflex diving save showing he's more than just a routine keeper. I don't think he has any for the SE. Almost every low shot against him has been a goal, look at all the Salone goals. He simply doesn't have a body of work showing he can actually SAVE us consistently to now pardon this gaffe. IMO, if you think the Salah save is enough for you then fine, but I don't...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Thats the problem. You are never honest. You still carry on with the joke that Akpeyi is a decent keeper. That shtick is gone. Nobody takes you seriously here.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:21 pm You must be the one celebrating almost. I was only pointing out how one forward had several shots at goal and the other did not have one shot in 60 minutes to the extent he was subbed.
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 pm
1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:54 pm Nonsense. He didn't get service for 3 ganes? What service did Sadiq get that he almost equalized for us ? You have to put yourself in position to get service in the first place.

3. Agreed. sadiq would do MUCH better with decent service. See #1.

There it is, we are celebrating "ALMOST"....how low we've come without Osimhen...btw why aren't also celebrating the "ALMOST" that was the Simon 1 v 1 and whoever it was that created that...
What several shots on goal was that? You realize that Sadiq also did NOT have a shot on goal....abi what are you talking about?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

midfield that's where the issue is, the midfielders really need to grow confidence in themselves and use the ball effectively from the back, free the defense from punting the ball all the time which is what they did first half. Even when a goal down the defense was still the outlet and the midfielders were just fighting for the knockdown, at no point did the SE control the tempo of the match. The midfield really needs to grow in confidence and be dynamic otherwise we will be seeing more of this pedestrian football with individual display.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Dude, your client was subbed out 3 times in 3 games. That should tell you that even the coaches agree with my assessment. Instead of your emotional outbursts, you should be honest with yourself and have a candid conversation with him. He had no business in the squad based on his performance in 3 games ...over 200 minutes as a forward. That's an HONEST ASSESSMENT of his performance as a forward! You can hide your head in the sand all you want. The only dishonest oponion here is yours, because you have not provided a basis for it, or give one example of his superior performance. So stop acting like a drama queen
airwolex wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:10 pm
1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:09 pm You clearly dont know what an assessment is!

You don't know what honest is
Last edited by 1naija on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Mystic, has the best post here. But it really isn't a loss than can be blamed on individual mistakes or who should be starting or not. This is a group failure.

We played a poor #$% game. If anything Eguaveon is to blame. We just didn't have contingencies. No need to blame players or saying some are wastepipes. Like I said, only Ndidi played well, why single Okoye, Awoniyi etc? What about Iheanacho, Chukwueze, Aribo, Ekong? This is whay i say thia whole thread is ironic.

My opinion anyways
Last edited by airwolex on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:44 pm
john12 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:43 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:39 pm Our first choice attackers should be Osimhen and Ighalo. The others are not ready
Lets leave it at Osimhen, Ighalo is retired and not really committed. The rest including Sadiq are not up to it...The Olayinka they are abusing is the one that set up Moses with that beautiful cross that left the Tunisian defense for dead and Moses one on one with the keeper somehow fluffed it. Sadiq on the other hand fluffed a chance...
Not only Ighalo. Victor Moses should be recalled
Mikel too. And Osaze.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

sabb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:27 pm midfield that's where the issue is, the midfielders really need to grow confidence in themselves and use the ball effectively from the back, free the defense from punting the ball all the time which is what they did first half. Even when a goal down the defense was still the outlet and the midfielders were just fighting for the knockdown, at no point did the SE control the tempo of the match. The midfield really needs to grow in confidence and be dynamic otherwise we will be seeing more of this pedestrian football with individual display.
How can the midfield improve when you only put TWO of them out there ?

You expect them to create, go forward, and then defend all at the same time.

How many times do I have to tell people that the 442 does not work.

Someone will come and tell me Chukwueze and Simon are midfielders.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Overhype, ...Overhype, ...Overhype!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EII, which of the players I am harsh on?

1naija,

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:38 pm EII, which of the players I am harsh on?

1naija,

Okay, you were really up on Awoniyi!!1 Rihght?

Bros, yes he may not have played well today but he belongs on the SE. Make no mistake about that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:21 pm

1naija,

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes we only looked lively AFTER Sadiq came on.

But Maceo wants to keep pretending he did not notice.
Enugu II, that is factually wrong, the 1 v 1 chance that Olayinka created for Moses was BEFORE Sadiq came in...so were the shot by Ndidi. We started hustling and trying before he came in, he definitely came in and added to it but also lacked cutting edge like those before him. We can't keep praising "hustle" we need CUTTING EDGE which is what an Osimhen can give and the guys after him are mostly 'hustlers'...
Super Eagus 4 Life!