Okoye

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Okoye

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo, let’s say it’s his knee…sure, so you are telling us every single keeper in the world would have bent their knee the same way? You are acting like Okoye didn’t choose to go down that odd way…

I put it to you that RB that was playing goalie for Comoros would have saved that shot probably with his feet sef in an unorthodox way.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:28 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:13 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 am
Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 am
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 pm Like in the case of the Cameroonian keeper vs. Comoros (@ min 10:45), right?
BTW, Onana had clear line of sight to the ball, which was 35 meters away - much further distance than in Okoye's case. It was a dead-ball shot, meaning Onana had ample time to set up and position himself. Yet...
Focus on the ball and observe its flight path. Zero rotation, which means it was fluttering all over the place....a perfect example of why it is almost impossible to catch a knuckle ball.
Otitokoro

I bet you that even Okoye will admit he goofed on that shot. Not only did he see the shot he saw it well that he punched at it. The reality is he failed to save a shot that the likes of Enyeama would have possibly made a routine save.
Trust me Otitokoro knows that as well he just wants to argue lol…
In a few days some of you may have a change of heart when you have the mind to rewatch the slow mo of the goal from Maduka's perspective.

I've read through the thread and not one person has mentioned a key point here. Watch Maduka's left knee.

Maduka bent that left knee like someone who was about to catch a ball straight at him. He was positioned correctly. Then the last milisecond bounce/swerve caused the chaos. He then had to sharply dive while his left knee was already bent on a ball that was swerving away to that same left side. That reduced the strength in his wrist when his palm hit the ball.

He's the least to blame for the goal.

One day we will talk about Aina and Ndidi's mistakes and to a lesser extent Aribo and Chukwueze's and the CBs to an even smaller extent.
I’ve watched that goal many many many times, each time I shake my head at Okoye…I’m sorry you are not gonna be able to convince me it’s someone else’s fault or that wasn’t a savable shot, let’s just agree to disagree.
Watch it one more time but this time look out for these few things....

1. Aina's failed attempt to intercept a crossfield pass
2. Aina getting back to position but then gets distracted by an overlapping full back running free to his right (nobody tracking-Samu where at thou?). He shifts to pay attention to the over lap, sensing Ndidi is on cover to his inside
3. Ndidi completely flailing at and missing the ball entirely
4. Aribo tracking his own runner but then sees Ndidi get sidestepped but is slow to cover
5. Ekong and Omeruo watching the midfielders fail to cover for each other
6. Maduka's left knee.
I hear you…still Okoyes fault and blunder and he shouldn’t be our number 1…like I said let’s agree to disagree, trust me watching the game is not my issue, I’ve watched the full game 3 times and that particular play over 20+….what you are doing is trying to come up with all sorts of excuses for a clearly savable shot…pay the boys back for keeping you on vacation your last 2 games by making that save…simple
Well he saved from Salah and kept us from going 2-0 down with another decent save.

But you are right, we agree to disagree.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 pm Ugbowo, let’s say it’s his knee…sure, so you are telling us every single keeper in the world would have bent their knee the same way? You are acting like Okoye didn’t choose to go down that odd way…

I put it to you that RB that was playing goalie for Comoros would have saved that shot probably with his feet sef in an unorthodox way.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

You still dey vex.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Btw Tobi, don’t forget Ndidi save a clear goal off the line earlier in the same game if you are trying to bash him unnecessarily, how many times has Okoye ever saved us?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Man please that Salah mishit was going so slow even if it went past Okoyes legs (he just made himself big and hoped not some great reflex save) one of the defenders would have cleared it before it crossed the line…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm Man please that Salah mishit was going so slow even if it went past Okoyes legs (he just made himself big and hoped not some great reflex save) one of the defenders would have cleared it before it crossed the line…
Ur stance would be much stronger if you did a give and take.

Praise when due and criticism when deemed necessary.

If you can't see any good at all, then it's just bias......which weakens your arguments.

Maduka is not the best goalie in the world but let's just call things as we see it. I was very upset at that goal until i calmed down and watch the sequence hours after.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm Man please that Salah mishit was going so slow even if it went past Okoyes legs (he just made himself big and hoped not some great reflex save) one of the defenders would have cleared it before it crossed the line…
Ur stance would be much stronger if you did a give and take.

Praise when due and criticism when deemed necessary.

If you can't see any good at all, then it's just bias......which weakens your arguments.

Maduka is not the best goalie in the world but let's just call things as we see it. I was very upset at that goal until i calmed down and watch the sequence hours after.
I was balanced until all of you started trying to convince me that I didn’t see what I saw, that’s very annoying and has the effect of me going to the opposite extreme and being extra hard on Okoye. He clearly bears fault for that goal and a better goalie would have saved it, I don’t know what about that is so hard to admit. He initially went for that ball as if it was a casual save and clearly misjudged it by the time he realized it wasn’t he couldn’t readjust (cuz of his knee as you pointed out) but that doesn’t NOT make it his fault. Because why did he go for it so casually rather than prepare from the jump to throw his body down in the path of the ball, there were no Tunisians around so he wouldn’t even have to worry about a rebound, just keep the ball out of the net by any means. IMO he just strikes me as a tall keeper that’s just poor at handling low shots and I believe a shorter GK (like even that RB from Comoros) saves that shot and I’m being dead serious, it was the way he decided to save that shot and not the ferocity of the shot that made it end up as a goal…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:23 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 am
Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 am
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 pm Like in the case of the Cameroonian keeper vs. Comoros (@ min 10:45), right?
BTW, Onana had clear line of sight to the ball, which was 35 meters away - much further distance than in Okoye's case. It was a dead-ball shot, meaning Onana had ample time to set up and position himself. Yet...
Focus on the ball and observe its flight path. Zero rotation, which means it was fluttering all over the place....a perfect example of why it is almost impossible to catch a knuckle ball.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm It was more difficult but one a NT keeper should be preventing from going in…abi you don’t agree?
Otitokoro

I bet you that even Okoye will admit he goofed on that shot. Not only did he see the shot he saw it well that he punched at it. The reality is he failed to save a shot that the likes of Enyeama would have possibly made a routine save.
Trust me Otitokoro knows that as well he just wants to argue lol…
In a few days some of you may have a change of heart when you have the mind to rewatch the slow mo of the goal from Maduka's perspective.

I've read through the thread and not one person has mentioned a key point here. Watch Maduka's left knee.

Maduka bent that left knee like someone who was about to catch a ball straight at him. He was positioned correctly. Then the last milisecond bounce/swerve caused the chaos. He then had to sharply dive while his left knee was already bent on a ball that was swerving away to that same left side. That reduced the strength in his wrist when his palm hit the ball.

He's the least to blame for the goal.

One day we will talk about Aina and Ndidi's mistakes and to a lesser extent Aribo and Chukwueze's and the CBs to an even smaller extent.
Ugbowo, I saw that but it makes little difference. He was still able to reach the ball and actually stretched beyond it a bit. The real issue is that he did not control the ball with his punch attempt. Instead, all he did was deflect it into his net. Bottomline is he could and should have done much better. Think distance and estimate power. Then consider that he had some space between him and the last player with likelihood of blocking his view. I do not want to put this down to poor reflexes because this is a guy who has clearly improved but some of his errors (similar to those of Uzoho) can be mindboggling.
We need to look at it from a goalkeepers perspective. Try to dive after bending one knee to the same direction your knee is bent. Without bending that knee he's probably falling on that shot.

Just watch it again but only that action. I too thought he could have done better at first glance but once i rewatched it, I changed my mind.
Ugbowo

You just listed a group of players who failed to do what was expected. May I ask: do you think Okoye did all that is expected in that situation?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

You guys, please let it go. Okoye is human and my father said: even the best horse may stumble someday. Okoye tried to parry it, but it was meant to be.....Tunisians' victory. Let us move on; and concentrate on the BIG DANCE. That will be the revenge of all times. Let us all learn from this stumbling block.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Igugu wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:49 am You guys, please let it go. Okoye is human and my father said: even the best horse may stumble someday. Okoye tried to parry it, but it was meant to be.....Tunisians' victory. Let us move on; and concentrate on the BIG DANCE. That will be the revenge of all times. Let us all learn from this stumbling block.
Agreed :clap: :clap: Really no need for revisionism.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:12 am
Igugu wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:49 am You guys, please let it go. Okoye is human and my father said: even the best horse may stumble someday. Okoye tried to parry it, but it was meant to be.....Tunisians' victory. Let us move on; and concentrate on the BIG DANCE. That will be the revenge of all times. Let us all learn from this stumbling block.
Agreed :clap: :clap: Really no need for revisionism.
Thank you that’s all I’m saying…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

What pained me about Okoye is the fact that when he could have stood out he didn't,he wasn't really tested in this tournament and there were a few times he fumbled easy simple balls...He doest deserve to be insulted but he should also be be accountable,even if we made it past that stage he would have been the reason we didn't progress fares probably a nice human being,but he isn't a good goal keeper..lets call a spade a spade.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

omey2k4 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:58 am What pained me about Okoye is the fact that when he could have stood out he didn't,he wasn't really tested in this tournament and there were a few times he fumbled easy simple balls...He doest deserve to be insulted but he should also be be accountable,even if we made it past that stage he would have been the reason we didn't progress fares probably a nice human being,but he isn't a good goal keeper..lets call a spade a spade.
Bros how you dey, you don tok am finish…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

Maduka Okoye is suspect as a goalkeeper…why hasn’t Sebastian Osigwe ever been called up to compete for the position. Why doesn’t the incompetent and inept NFF have someone like Vincent scouting potential Goalkeepers of Nigerian heritage that would be interested in playing for Nigeria so there is competition for the spot?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

you dey mind all these old men ranting none stop about a 21 year old... leave them to dey cry ... winners move on . 2 months from today we face the most annoying and difficult team on our continent
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

It's really not Okoyes faults. It's Rohr putting an inexperienced 21 year old former div 3 goalie in goal for a national team of 200m people. His height is a big plus but the experience is not there at 21 year old. Rohr made the same mistake with Ozoho he took to the WC as well. The keeper position is likely the position you need the most experience in. I forgive Okoye but he should not keep again for Nigeria at least 2 years until he master his craft well and becomes a formidable goalie. Akpeyi and Ozoho are ok for now then add another experienced goalie from the local league.