Okoye

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Okoye

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:52 pm Nope!
Go watch the replay (@ min 9:40)...the shot Uzoho saved was certainly NOT a knuckleball and he did not have an obstructed view when the ball left the shooter's boots.
Much easier to deal with than Okoye's situation.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:29 pm
I’ve said many times I prefer Uzoho, of course he can make a mistake too but he saved a similar shot in the last match, he didn’t parry it far enough to the side but at least he got his body behind the ball and prevented it from going in then Ajayi helped him out. I just think overall he looks the safest hands to me. Just my preference…
It was more difficult but one a NT keeper should be preventing from going in…abi you don’t agree?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Like in the case of the Cameroonian keeper vs. Comoros (@ min 10:45), right?
BTW, Onana had clear line of sight to the ball, which was 35 meters away - much further distance than in Okoye's case. It was a dead-ball shot, meaning Onana had ample time to set up and position himself. Yet...
Focus on the ball and observe its flight path. Zero rotation, which means it was fluttering all over the place....a perfect example of why it is almost impossible to catch a knuckle ball.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm It was more difficult but one a NT keeper should be preventing from going in…abi you don’t agree?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 pm Like in the case of the Cameroonian keeper vs. Comoros (@ min 10:45), right?
BTW, Onana had clear line of sight to the ball, which was 35 meters away - much further distance than in Okoye's case. It was a dead-ball shot, meaning Onana had ample time to set up and position himself. Yet...
Focus on the ball and observe its flight path. Zero rotation, which means it was fluttering all over the place....a perfect example of why it is almost impossible to catch a knuckle ball.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm It was more difficult but one a NT keeper should be preventing from going in…abi you don’t agree?
You're comparing a shot the reached the top corner to one that went down the middle? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Sunset wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:29 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 pm Like in the case of the Cameroonian keeper vs. Comoros (@ min 10:45), right?
You're comparing a shot the reached the top corner to one that went down the middle? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I don't see why its so hard to say Okoye made a mistake and one would expect him to save a shot down the middle....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

No one deserves such abuse or threat. The boys did their best. Let us move on and prepare for the big dance. AFCON is in another 18 months and payback is what we have to prepare for. This young man will be better and has learnt from this experience.

I feel sorry for any team facing Nigeria from now on. This defeat is nothing but fuel to fire the boys up. I hope Egu will be given the sole responsibility to carry on with the coaching duties and we all have learnt from this.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

ohsee wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:25 am

Irrationality is repeatedly refusing to believe your own eyes. If Ezenwa had been in goal tonite, the SuperEagles might have had a chance of advancing…but what should one really expect from an old imbecile like you❓❗️

Cheers.
:biggrin: :biggrin:
TonyTheTabbyTerminator :lol: how can a goalie who is not good enough to get a starting position in a local league be starting for the SE? :rotf: This is the height of stupidity, bikonu. :lol: If Ezenwa had been in goal he would have let in seven goals--stop drinking dangerous local gin and think about it, though I know your thinking faculties vacated your skull two decades ago. :lol: Okoye made a mistake--even the best goalies make mistakes, and the list who do is long, from Ter Stergen to Donnarumma to Allison Becker. My friend, if we are talking about old imbeciles who have been drinking too much kaikai before posting, you fit the bill. :biggrin: As I said, Ezenwa must be your sister brother uncle. :rotf: You have a well known penchant for promoting useless relatives. :biggrin:
You are now accusing your massa Rohr of being stupid? Giving Ezenwa the starting job might have been the one thing that Rohr got right. How many goals did Ezenwa concede as the SuperEagles starting goalie? A grand total of two goals, both penalties. Stupidity is not knowing what the hell you’re talking about but your particular malady goes way beyond stupidity. Saying that you’re merely stupid is a major insult to stupid people wherever they may be. Stick to driving your cab or whatever menial job it is you do. Intelligent comments are not part of your repertoire❗️

Cheers.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:38 pm
I don't see why its so hard to say Okoye made a mistake and one would expect him to save a shot down the middle....
It's easier to say Akpeyi and Ezenwa made a mistake.... because they learnt their goal keeping skills in Nigeria and they are not exposed to the modern art and science of goal keeping training, etc.... I hope, you get the drift.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

fabio wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:48 pm
It's easier to say Akpeyi and Ezenwa made a mistake.... because they learnt their goal keeping skills in Nigeria and they are not exposed to the modern art and science of goal keeping training, etc.... I hope, you get the drift.
I was hoping it wasn't that...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:59 pm I was hoping it wasn't that...
I was hoping myself.

One ball went to the top corner of the net and the other ball went in the middle.

Can't you think of a better excuse....
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Trying to reason with you is pointless.
Feel free to believe whatever you want.
Cheerio.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 am Trying to reason with you is pointless.
Feel free to believe whatever you want.
Cheerio.
He made a mistake, say it with me, he made a mistake :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro

I bet you that even Okoye will admit he goofed on that shot. Not only did he see the shot he saw it well that he punched at it. The reality is he failed to save a shot that the likes of Enyeama would have possibly made a routine save.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 am
Otitokoro

I bet you that even Okoye will admit he goofed on that shot. Not only did he see the shot he saw it well that he punched at it. The reality is he failed to save a shot that the likes of Enyeama would have possibly made a routine save.
Trust me Otitokoro knows that as well he just wants to argue lol…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 am
Otitokoro

In a few days some of you may have a change of heart when you have the mind to rewatch the slow mo of the goal from Maduka's perspective.

I've read through the thread and not one person has mentioned a key point here. Watch Maduka's left knee.

Maduka bent that left knee like someone who was about to catch a ball straight at him. He was positioned correctly. Then the last milisecond bounce/swerve caused the chaos. He then had to sharply dive while his left knee was already bent on a ball that was swerving away to that same left side. That reduced the strength in his wrist when his palm hit the ball.

He's the least to blame for the goal.

One day we will talk about Aina and Ndidi's mistakes and to a lesser extent Aribo and Chukwueze's and the CBs to an even smaller extent.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Nobody wants to call out the big elephant in the room but Ndidi was largely to blame for that goal, he failed to effectively close down the Tunisian, for a DM of his quality he has made some notably bad errors that have cost us in key moments in these two AFCONs so far (he made that daft foul close to our 18 yrd box in the 2019 AFCON semi final match against Algeria) just in the last few minutes of the second half when we seemed to have seized the initiative... Mahrez stepped up and the rest was history... Yet all the blame for the Mahrez goal went to Akpeyi but the biggest culprit (Ndidi) was strangely hardly reprimanded.

Same scenario here against Tunisia, Ndidi failed to close down his man after lunging in on him like a novice, he got turned inside-out and the Tunisian had all the time in the world to take that shot that determined our fate... yet again all the blame went to Maduka but Ndidi was rarely called out.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 pm Nobody wants to call out the big elephant in the room but Ndidi was largely to blame for that goal, he failed to effectively close down the Tunisian, for a DM of his quality he has made some notably bad errors that have cost us in key moments in these two AFCONs so far (he made that daft foul close to our 18 yrd box in the 2019 AFCON semi final match against Algeria) just in the last few minutes of the second half when we seemed to have seized the initiative... Mahrez stepped up and the rest was history... Yet all the blame for the Mahrez goal went to Akpeyi but the biggest culprit (Ndidi) was strangely hardly reprimanded.

Same scenario here against Tunisia, Ndidi failed to close down his man after lunging in on him like a novice, he got turned inside-out and the Tunisian had all the time in the world to take that shot that determined our fate... yet again all the blame went to Maduka but Ndidi was rarely called out.
Bros, Ndidi had good will stored up from the previous two games where Okoye was basically a spectator (and still making mistakes - dropping that simple high dropping ball). He could have done better - fine, but Okoye should have done better…first time he had been tested and he failed woefully…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 pm
Otitokoro

In a few days some of you may have a change of heart when you have the mind to rewatch the slow mo of the goal from Maduka's perspective.

I've read through the thread and not one person has mentioned a key point here. Watch Maduka's left knee.

Maduka bent that left knee like someone who was about to catch a ball straight at him. He was positioned correctly. Then the last milisecond bounce/swerve caused the chaos. He then had to sharply dive while his left knee was already bent on a ball that was swerving away to that same left side. That reduced the strength in his wrist when his palm hit the ball.

One day we will talk about Aina and Ndidi's mistakes and to a lesser extent Aribo and Chukwueze's and the CBs to an even smaller extent.
I’ve watched that goal many many many times, each time I shake my head at Okoye…I’m sorry you are not gonna be able to convince me it’s someone else’s fault or that wasn’t a savable shot, let’s just agree to disagree.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 pm Nobody wants to call out the big elephant in the room but Ndidi was largely to blame for that goal, he failed to effectively close down the Tunisian, for a DM of his quality he has made some notably bad errors that have cost us in key moments in these two AFCONs so far (he made that daft foul close to our 18 yrd box in the 2019 AFCON semi final match against Algeria) just in the last few minutes of the second half when we seemed to have seized the initiative... Mahrez stepped up and the rest was history... Yet all the blame for the Mahrez goal went to Akpeyi but the biggest culprit (Ndidi) was strangely hardly reprimanded.

Bros, Ndidi had good will stored up from the previous two games where Okoye was basically a spectator (and still making mistakes - dropping that simple high dropping ball). He could have done better - fine, but Okoye should have done better…first time he had been tested and he failed woefully…
Maduka made an error yes but that was hardly a mind-blowing mistake, I've seen world class GKs flop like that! Ndidi will never be called out on how erratic he can be because he's the darling of the Nigerian fans... the hypocrisy continues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro

Ugbowo, I saw that but it makes little difference. He was still able to reach the ball and actually stretched beyond it a bit. The real issue is that he did not control the ball with his punch attempt. Instead, all he did was deflect it into his net. Bottomline is he could and should have done much better. Think distance and estimate power. Then consider that he had some space between him and the last player with likelihood of blocking his view. I do not want to put this down to poor reflexes because this is a guy who has clearly improved but some of his errors (similar to those of Uzoho) can be mindboggling.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 pm

Maduka made an error yes but that was hardly a mind-blowing mistake, I've seen world class GKs flop like that! Ndidi will never be called out on how erratic he can be because he's the darling of the Nigerian fans... the hypocrisy continues.
Bros, he is not superman. We played most of the tournament with him and Aribo in the middle. You are right about Okoye. You cannot totally blame him for the goal, all you can say is that the very best keepers would have stopped that.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:13 pm
Otitokoro

I’ve watched that goal many many many times, each time I shake my head at Okoye…I’m sorry you are not gonna be able to convince me it’s someone else’s fault or that wasn’t a savable shot, let’s just agree to disagree.
Watch it one more time but this time look out for these few things....

1. Aina's failed attempt to intercept a crossfield pass
2. Aina getting back to position but then gets distracted by an overlapping full back running free to his right (nobody tracking-Samu where at thou?). He shifts to pay attention to the over lap, sensing Ndidi is on cover to his inside
3. Ndidi completely flailing at and missing the ball entirely
4. Aribo tracking his own runner but then sees Ndidi get sidestepped but is slow to cover
5. Ekong and Omeruo watching the midfielders fail to cover for each other
6. Maduka's left knee.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 pm
Otitokoro

Ugbowo, I saw that but it makes little difference. He was still able to reach the ball and actually stretched beyond it a bit. The real issue is that he did not control the ball with his punch attempt. Instead, all he did was deflect it into his net. Bottomline is he could and should have done much better. Think distance and estimate power. Then consider that he had some space between him and the last player with likelihood of blocking his view. I do not want to put this down to poor reflexes because this is a guy who has clearly improved but some of his errors (similar to those of Uzoho) can be mindboggling.
We need to look at it from a goalkeepers perspective. Try to dive after bending one knee to the same direction your knee is bent. Without bending that knee he's probably falling on that shot.

Just watch it again but only that action. I too thought he could have done better at first glance but once i rewatched it, I changed my mind.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:13 pm
Otitokoro

Watch it one more time but this time look out for these few things....

1. Aina's failed attempt to intercept a crossfield pass
2. Aina getting back to position but then gets distracted by an overlapping full back running free to his right (nobody tracking-Samu where at thou?). He shifts to pay attention to the over lap, sensing Ndidi is on cover to his inside
3. Ndidi completely flailing at and missing the ball entirely
4. Aribo tracking his own runner but then sees Ndidi get sidestepped but is slow to cover
5. Ekong and Omeruo watching the midfielders fail to cover for each other
6. Maduka's left knee.
I hear you…still Okoyes fault and blunder and he shouldn’t be our number 1…like I said let’s agree to disagree, trust me watching the game is not my issue, I’ve watched the full game 3 times and that particular play over 20+….what you are doing is trying to come up with all sorts of excuses for a clearly savable shot…pay the boys back for keeping you on vacation your last 2 games by making that save…simple
Super Eagus 4 Life!