I think it's time to ditch this wing play nonsense

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
I think it's time to ditch this wing play nonsense

Post by Tobi17 »

Tunisia beat us by simply crowding out the midfield and isolating our ineffective wingers to keep running into cul-de-sac. It's now obvious that the likes of Chukwueze, Ejuke, Simon Moses etc are flash in the pans... against teams that crowd them out they become utterly clueless in the final third. The new coach needs to invite MORE midfielders ahead of the world cup playoffs, less focus should be on the outdated wing play nonsense and emphasis should be on seriously bolstering that our weak midfield ASAP... we already have players in Ndidi, Aribo, Nwakali, and Onyeka, Etebo should be back in the team, Amoo can definitely be given a try out in a friendly game as a CAM... Now I wish the likes of Olise and Ebere Eze stopped fu*king around and just played for Nigeria but it is what it is.

Meanwhile it's time to phase out Iwobi, the Bobo no be am at all, I've tried vouching for this lad but it seems the game left him a long time ago. Peseiro has his work cut out for him, preparations for the world cup SHOULD START NOW, and if that egg-headed angel* called Pinnick had a brain, he should unveil the new coach as early as this week, tell us comprehensively what plans he has set aside to ensure we qualify for the world cup, and then set up friendly matches in the upcoming window.

If Nigeria fails to qualify for the world cup, Pinnick might as well fire himself.
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: I think it's time to ditch this wing play nonsense

Post by john12 »

The wing play isn’t nonsense but it shouldn’t be at the expense of the midfield. Like I previously alluded, 424 isn’t a formation for modern day football. Every team needs at least 3 midfielders to survive.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Not quite. We just needed accurate crossers.

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I've said a million times 442 no be am.

Chuks and Simon get isolated. Simon played the 2 games of his life (yet still couldnt cross) but when he goes back to his normal self its the same as it had been under Rohr.

we need creativity through the middle. Nacho needs to permenently be parked on the bench as a super sub.

in a 433, our wing forwards are not as isolated out wide as in a 442 so the culdesac running will not be as bad.

I laugh at those who say we dont need Lookman. He will EASILY walk into our starting 11.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:36 pm Not quite. We just needed accurate crossers.
Why we need Ademola Lookman.

None of our wingers can cross.

Only Aina and Nwakali are effective at crossing.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:36 pm Not quite. We just needed accurate crossers.

they can cross, well with the exception of Chukweze.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

433 wouldn't have helped Okoye saved a routine shot thst ended up in the net. One than one player are a liability in the starting 11 and Simon in one of them.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

oscar52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:59 am 433 wouldn't have helped Okoye saved a routine shot thst ended up in the net. One than one player are a liability in the starting 11 and Simon in one of them.
If Ndidi was paired with Onyeka, or even Aribo with an actual midfielder in front of them, there wouldn't have been such a gap for Msakni to take that shot. Playing with only 2 cMs and asking them to attack as well creates spaces and vulnerability at the back. If you ask them to just sit, then your offense depends exclusively on your wingers who often get isolated.

Egus formation and inability to switch it lost us the game today.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

During training sessions, Moses Simon, Samu and Ejuke should be doing drills without dribbling. They all should learn to play without running at the defense and dribbling which is their go to move. They should be made to work on other aspects (crossing, shooting from out wide, and playing into the middle) rather than keep trying to dribble better. There'll be more days like this when your bread and butter isn't working out and you need a plan b...or c.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

theYemster wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am During training sessions, Moses Simon, Samu and Ejuke should be doing drills without dribbling. They all should learn to play without running at the defense and dribbling which is their go to move. They should be made to work on other aspects (crossing, shooting from out wide, and playing into the middle) rather than keep trying to dribble better. There'll be more days like this when your bread and butter isn't working out and you need a plan b...or c.
+1

They have to be made to understand that the goal is to get the ball into that box as quickly and as many times as possible. The law of averages will take care of the rest.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:17 am
oscar52 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:59 am 433 wouldn't have helped Okoye saved a routine shot thst ended up in the net. One than one player are a liability in the starting 11 and Simon in one of them.
If Ndidi was paired with Onyeka, or even Aribo with an actual midfielder in front of them, there wouldn't have been such a gap for Msakni to take that shot. Playing with only 2 cMs and asking them to attack as well creates spaces and vulnerability at the back. If you ask them to just sit, then your offense depends exclusively on your wingers who often get isolated.

Egus formation and inability to switch it lost us the game today.
This is where we badly missed a player and energizer bunny like Etebo, it was simply inexcusable and borderline criminal for Msakni to have been given all the space in the world to attempt a shot on goal in the first place... The emphasis on having more ball playing midfielders in this team was once again overlooked, the annoying part of it all is that we had Onyeka on the bench and he should have been brought in to support Ndidi who was clearly struggling as a lone DM... but in all it wasn't to be, we were beginning to take control of the midfield and dominate play more through the middle once Iwobi came in until the red card happened, everything that could have gone wrong happened in that game.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:49 pm
theYemster wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am During training sessions, Moses Simon, Samu and Ejuke should be doing drills without dribbling. They all should learn to play without running at the defense and dribbling which is their go to move. They should be made to work on other aspects (crossing, shooting from out wide, and playing into the middle) rather than keep trying to dribble better. There'll be more days like this when your bread and butter isn't working out and you need a plan b...or c.
+1

They have to be made to understand that the goal is to get the ball into that box as quickly and as many times as possible. The law of averages will take care of the rest.
:thumb:
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Yup lets go back to Rohr days when we were guaranteed to lose to any European team we came across..Lets do our best to mimic all the latest trends in Eropean football, lets see how far that gets us
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am Yup lets go back to Rohr days when we were guaranteed to lose to any European team we came across..Lets do our best to mimic all the latest trends in Eropean football, lets see how far that gets us
You know we can out European an European team.

We could teach them a thing or two on how to be European.

Poor goalkeeping and suddenly the wing play is nonsense.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am Yup lets go back to Rohr days when we were guaranteed to lose to any European team we came across..Lets do our best to mimic all the latest trends in Eropean football, lets see how far that gets us

Football doesn't quite work that way. Its a global game and the styles have intersected..
The Nigerian player will interpret the so-called European trend differently.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

You guys just spat out rubbish sometimes - no offence intended-

Crosses for who?

Which of your strikers has scores multiple headed goals….Oshimen excluded( he is just great)

Cross the ball, cross the ball for who exactly? Iheanacho, Awoniyi maybe Ekong….

We can’t cross the ball and we don’t need ppl that cross the ball….we need wingers that will contribute to scoring goals and create them not just crossing the ball

Sorry for the rant
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:31 pm Tunisia beat us by simply crowding out the midfield and isolating our ineffective wingers to keep running into cul-de-sac. It's now obvious that the likes of Chukwueze, Ejuke, Simon Moses etc are flash in the pans... against teams that crowd them out they become utterly clueless in the final third. The new coach needs to invite MORE midfielders ahead of the world cup playoffs, less focus should be on the outdated wing play nonsense and emphasis should be on seriously bolstering that our weak midfield ASAP... we already have players in Ndidi, Aribo, Nwakali, and Onyeka, Etebo should be back in the team, Amoo can definitely be given a try out in a friendly game as a CAM... Now I wish the likes of Olise and Ebere Eze stopped fu*king around and just played for Nigeria but it is what it is.

Meanwhile it's time to phase out Iwobi, the Bobo no be am at all, I've tried vouching for this lad but it seems the game left him a long time ago. Peseiro has his work cut out for him, preparations for the world cup SHOULD START NOW, and if that egg-headed angel* called Pinnick had a brain, he should unveil the new coach as early as this week, tell us comprehensively what plans he has set aside to ensure we qualify for the world cup, and then set up friendly matches in the upcoming window.

If Nigeria fails to qualify for the world cup, Pinnick might as well fire himself.
Iwobi has to stop being made the scapegoat….he was not the reason we lost….

Eguavoen and his masterplan via YouTube got found out…simple.

I said it time and time again here…you need a midfield base….EVERY SINGLE TEAM HAS ONE POST 2004

Ppl here were clapping on Egu’s analysis of “1994 team”. Now is cross the ball for who exactly….

The team were so poor in the first team it was back to the Rohr days….

Egypt fooled u guys to believe that you we have arrived. I said it that the team and their coach was inept- I was being Racist.

Iwobi got sent off wrongly in my opinion and was not the reason to lose the game. He came on and was better than Awoniyi in 2 mins

How did Eguaveon manage these guys in training and decided that Awoniyi is better than Sadiq?

Iwobi did nothing wrong in the game. Played in 1.5 games and was better than Samu….why didn’t he start the game?

Blame the easy scapegoat
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Oga I hate to burst your bubble but the team that I saw play Tunisia would chop a minimum of 2 without reply from a decent European team. Our attack is blunt against decent teams. Has been for a long time. We need a mentality change to fix this, not a coaching change.

Wha choo looking at?!
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Why you dey post BS. This same Rohr beat Poland away, beat Iceland at the World Cup and drew with Ukraine. Are these not European countries?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Yes we lost to Poland, Iceland, Ukraine
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:16 pm

You guys just spat out rubbish sometimes - no offence intended-

Crosses for who?

Which of your strikers has scores multiple headed goals….Oshimen excluded( he is just great)

Cross the ball, cross the ball for who exactly? Iheanacho, Awoniyi maybe Ekong….

We can’t cross the ball and we don’t need ppl that cross the ball….we need wingers that will contribute to scoring goals and create them not just crossing the ball

Sorry for the rant
Um you do know Osimehn is actually pretty good in the air. Besides if the crosses are good you dont exactly have to be known for you heading ability to score. These are professional footballers, if they are open and somebody finds them with an accurate cross, they will likely score.

What you are essentially advocating is for us to limit our attacking options. Why would you want to do that.

And it isn't just crossing. A guy like lookman is much better at finding players with ON GROUND passing. Go look at his key pass statistics and compare to our culdesac wingers like Simon and Chukwueze.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:03 pm
Oga I hate to burst your bubble but the team that I saw play Tunisia would chop a minimum of 2 without reply from a decent European team. Our attack is blunt against decent teams. Has been for a long time. We need a mentality change to fix this, not a coaching change.
You are right. This Tunisian team will definitely exit the World Cup in the group stage if they get there. Play that game another 4 times & we will win all 4. For all the "tactical superiority" the Tunisians had we still bossed it when we went down to 10 men and created at least 2 clear chances to take the game to extra time. But for Okoye's error, I couldn't see them scoring. But seriously, I agree with the guys as we do not have the players in the mold of Finidi, Amuneke ete, to play effective wing play. We needed a natural goalscorer (error not calling up Dessers). Osimhen now seems even more indispensable going forward. We need to revert back to 433 or 4231, meaning Iheanacho will have to start from the bench. This would enable the likes of Simon, Chukwueze, Lookman, Amoo etc attack from wide. Width would be provided by the full backs of which Aina & Sanusi have proven very competent. Iwobi is still very more needed in this team but we need more midfielders. I'll have Ndidi, Onyeka, Aribo, Nwakali, Iwobi & Nwobodo. Our team is not bad at all just needs a bit of tinkering and Eguaveon should be left to continue. I we organise ourselves we could be champions come July 2023.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:28 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:31 pm Tunisia beat us by simply crowding out the midfield and isolating our ineffective wingers to keep running into cul-de-sac. It's now obvious that the likes of Chukwueze, Ejuke, Simon Moses etc are flash in the pans... against teams that crowd them out they become utterly clueless in the final third. The new coach needs to invite MORE midfielders ahead of the world cup playoffs, less focus should be on the outdated wing play nonsense and emphasis should be on seriously bolstering that our weak midfield ASAP... we already have players in Ndidi, Aribo, Nwakali, and Onyeka, Etebo should be back in the team, Amoo can definitely be given a try out in a friendly game as a CAM... Now I wish the likes of Olise and Ebere Eze stopped fu*king around and just played for Nigeria but it is what it is.

Iwobi has to stop being made the scapegoat….he was not the reason we lost….

Eguavoen and his masterplan via YouTube got found out…simple.

I said it time and time again here…you need a midfield base….EVERY SINGLE TEAM HAS ONE POST 2004

Ppl here were clapping on Egu’s analysis of “1994 team”. Now is cross the ball for who exactly….

The team were so poor in the first team it was back to the Rohr days….

Egypt fooled u guys to believe that you we have arrived. I said it that the team and their coach was inept- I was being Racist.

Iwobi got sent off wrongly in my opinion and was not the reason to lose the game. He came on and was better than Awoniyi in 2 mins

How did Eguaveon manage these guys in training and decided that Awoniyi is better than Sadiq?

Iwobi did nothing wrong in the game. Played in 1.5 games and was better than Samu….why didn’t he start the game?

Blame the easy scapegoat
you are spot on here.

Egu's 442 is outdated. The 442 is outdated, I've been screaming this for over a year.

I dont know what people do not understand about that.

Also Egu failed big time by starting both Chukwueze and Awoniyi.