Everyone, please calm down....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Everyone, please calm down....

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:01 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:31 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:15 pm
airwolex wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:05 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm
bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:45 am I'm never one to open these emotional postmortem threads, but reading the front page of eagle's nest is absolutely ridiculous. We lost boohoo!! Suddenly players are useless. Egu is useless. Because we lost a game? A game we dominated from start to finish? A game we played with a man down but still created several scoring chances?

I saw Man City lose to freaking NORWICH CITY!!! Liverpool were hammered by WATFORD!! It happens in football. You cannot win every game. A good team will lose from time to time. We have a good team. We have a good coach. If we play Tunisia 10 times, we beat them 9. Today was that 10th game, and it took a keeper error and a red card for them to pull it off.

I for one am very proud of our team. Much love and respect to these men who carry our hopes and dreams and are subjected to all kinds of abuse and curses simply because they were called to play football for their country and they came. They are human. Mistakes will happen. Losses will happen. We move on. Everyone please calm down. SE for life!!
Delusion.

We didn't have a single shot on target for the whole first half when we had 11 players on the pitch. And only one on target for 95 minutes of football. That says it all. , And some of you are saying we dominated the game. Didn't we dominate the games we lost to CAR and drew with Sierra Leone and Cape Verde? I thought the point of competing in a competition is to win?

If we play Tunisia 10 times with the team wee had on display yesterday and the same tactics, we would be lucky to win any of them. We got away with it against Egypt who probably had a weak right back, but we were always going to be found out against quality opposition.
Lol we did not play well but we still created plenty of dangerous moments. We could have scored.

The Chukwueze cross that Awoniyi failed to connect. The Aina cross. Aribo was through on goal and fluffed. Umar was clean on goal and scuffed the shot. Then Moses shot from an Olayinka cross, if his first touch was better he would have scored.

This when we were playing say below par.

The one shot on target thing is a bit misleading.
If you've been following my posts, I said our attack was really our weakest point and the no shot on goal is just one evidence. We were never going to win this tournament with Awoniyi, Sadiq and Kelechi. I have watched enough football over decades to know what top strikers do in tournaments. And they don't have to be high scoring strikers, some of them just need to know how to hold up play and bring others into the game, win freekicks, penalties and make the right choice of shooting or passing. All our strikers failed here. All those near misses all add up to poor positioning, poor choices, poor play and yes some bad luck. And that is normal hence why you won't have a shot on target per minute. But not to have a single shot on target and claim you played well is delusion. At least test the goalkeeper. It was embarrassing for the so called favourites.
Lolly

Please stop sending po reading falsehood. It is factual that we had multiple shots on goal in first quarter of an hour alone!!! They were saved by the defense and not necessarily the goalie deep in the box. On one occasion the ball was handled staving off an opportunity. It is simply false to state that there were no shots on goal.
You are the one sending falsehood. The records are there for all to see. A deflected shot is not counted as on target. Stop changing the rules of the game after it has started.
Lolly

You need to understand what it means. It simply means a shot had a chance of being a goal if not Blocked. That is a shot AT goal means. So for you it means only when a goalie saves it or it is a goal? You realize a defender can prevent a shot going in? What is that counted as may I ask?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly, seems like you are talking about two separate things. Your first response to bush boy talked about "shots on target" and then your response to airwolex talked about shots on goal. They are two different things.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:31 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:15 pm
airwolex wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:05 pm
bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:45 am I'm never one to open these emotional postmortem threads, but reading the front page of eagle's nest is absolutely ridiculous. We lost boohoo!! Suddenly players are useless. Egu is useless. Because we lost a game? A game we dominated from start to finish? A game we played with a man down but still created several scoring chances?

I saw Man City lose to freaking NORWICH CITY!!! Liverpool were hammered by WATFORD!! It happens in football. You cannot win every game. A good team will lose from time to time. We have a good team. We have a good coach. If we play Tunisia 10 times, we beat them 9. Today was that 10th game, and it took a keeper error and a red card for them to pull it off.

I for one am very proud of our team. Much love and respect to these men who carry our hopes and dreams and are subjected to all kinds of abuse and curses simply because they were called to play football for their country and they came. They are human. Mistakes will happen. Losses will happen. We move on. Everyone please calm down. SE for life!!
Delusion.

We didn't have a single shot on target for the whole first half when we had 11 players on the pitch. And only one on target for 95 minutes of football. That says it all. , And some of you are saying we dominated the game. Didn't we dominate the games we lost to CAR and drew with Sierra Leone and Cape Verde? I thought the point of competing in a competition is to win?

If we play Tunisia 10 times with the team wee had on display yesterday and the same tactics, we would be lucky to win any of them. We got away with it against Egypt who probably had a weak right back, but we were always going to be found out against quality opposition.
Lol we did not play well but we still created plenty of dangerous moments. We could have scored.

The Chukwueze cross that Awoniyi failed to connect. The Aina cross. Aribo was through on goal and fluffed. Umar was clean on goal and scuffed the shot. Then Moses shot from an Olayinka cross, if his first touch was better he would have scored.

This when we were playing say below par.

The one shot on target thing is a bit misleading.
If you've been following my posts, I said our attack was really our weakest point and the no shot on goal is just one evidence. We were never going to win this tournament with Awoniyi, Sadiq and Kelechi. I have watched enough football over decades to know what top strikers do in tournaments. And they don't have to be high scoring strikers, some of them just need to know how to hold up play and bring others into the game, win freekicks, penalties and make the right choice of shooting or passing. All our strikers failed here. All those near misses all add up to poor positioning, poor choices, poor play and yes some bad luck. And that is normal hence why you won't have a shot on target per minute. But not to have a single shot on target and claim you played well is delusion. At least test the goalkeeper. It was embarrassing for the so called favourites.
Lolly

Please stop sending po reading falsehood. It is factual that we had multiple shots on goal in first quarter of an hour alone!!! They were saved by the defense and not necessarily the goalie deep in the box. On one occasion the ball was handled staving off an opportunity. It is simply false to state that there were no shots on goal.
You are the one sending falsehood. The records are there for all to see. A deflected shot is not counted as on target. Stop changing the rules of the game after it has started.
Lolly

You need to understand what it means. It simply means a shot had a chance of being a goal if not Blocked. That is a shot AT goal means. So for you it means only when a goalie saves it or it is a goal? You realize a defender can prevent a shot going in? What is that counted as may I ask?
You’ve been in football long enough to understand what it means. And I know exactly what it means.

https://www.statsperform.com/opta-event-definitions/
A shot on target is defined as any goal attempt that:

- Goes into the net regardless of intent.

-Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block).

Shots directly hitting the frame of the goal are not counted as shots on target, unless the ball goes in and is awarded as a goal.

Shots blocked by another player, who is not the last-man, are not counted as shots on target.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

^^

My dear Lolly, I understand that it is sometimes difficult for humans to admit times when they mis-speak. I am the same as you, stubborn as ever. But in this case, it may be better to just stop responding. If you need to start posting textbook definitions of "shots on goal" to justify your claim that we played poorly, then that's on you. But I watched the game with my own two eyes, and I know regardless of whatever definition of "shot on goal" that we had several VERY GOOD scoring opportunities. We lost the game. Yes. But it had nothing to do with an inability to create opportunities to score goals. We had more than enough of those. Even with 10 men. I fact, we looked more likely to score against their packed defense than they did on the counter attacks they had with our entire backline pushed up. To me, that says a lot.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 pm Lolly, seems like you are talking about two separate things. Your first response to bush boy talked about "shots on target" and then your response to airwolex talked about shots on goal. They are two different things.
Typo. I meant shots on target as seen from my first post. But they actually mean the same thing but shots on target is the recognised and widely used term.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

bushboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 pm ^^

My dear Lolly, I understand that it is sometimes difficult for humans to admit times when they mis-speak. I am the same as you, stubborn as ever. But in this case, it may be better to just stop responding. If you need to start posting textbook definitions of "shots on goal" to justify your claim that we played poorly, then that's on you. But I watched the game with my own two eyes, and I know regardless of whatever definition of "shot on goal" that we had several VERY GOOD scoring opportunities. We lost the game. Yes. But it had nothing to do with an inability to create opportunities to score goals. We had more than enough of those. Even with 10 men. I fact, we looked more likely to score against their packed defense than they did on the counter attacks they had with our entire backline pushed up. To me, that says a lot.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Okay, I won’t use the globally recognised and used opta definition, I will use the one you and Enugu II have created.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:49 pm
metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 pm Lolly, seems like you are talking about two separate things. Your first response to bush boy talked about "shots on target" and then your response to airwolex talked about shots on goal. They are two different things.
Typo. I meant shots on target as seen from my first post. But they actually mean the same thing but shots on target is the recognised and widely used term.
Bros.. they cant be the same thing. A shot that hits the goal post (or any part of the frame of the goal) and does not go in is a "shot on goal" but it is not considered a "shot on target"
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:54 pm
Bros.. they cant be the same thing. A shot that hits the goal post (or any part of the frame of the goal) and does not go in is a "shot on goal" but it is not considered a "shot on target"
They mean the same thing as defined by those who collect and share the data. You forget there is a reason this particular data is collected. It didn’t start with Nigeria v Tunisia.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

So why do the people who "collect and share the data" (from the very link that you cited) say the following under SHOT OFF TARGET:
A shot off target is defined as any clear attempt to score that:

• Goes over or wide of the goal without making contact with another player.
• Would have gone over or wide of the goal but for being stopped by a goalkeeper’s save or by an outfield player.
• Directly hits the frame of the goal and a goal is not scored.

Blocked shots are not counted as shots off target.
Last edited by metalalloy on Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

It wasn't that long ago that we were struggling against the likes of Lesotho, Madagascar, Ethiopia and even Sierra Leone. Suddenly, we are ready to conquer the world. our lost is a blessing in disguise. The Mundial is a bigger stage. let the NFF do everything within their power so we wouldn't be rooting for some yeye African countries.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:00 pm So why do the people who "collect and share the data" (from the very link that you cited) say the following under SHOT OFF TARGET:

• Would have gone over or wide of the goal but for being stopped by a goalkeeper’s save or by an outfield player.

Because they also said...
Shots directly hitting the frame of the goal are not counted as shots on target, unless the ball goes in and is awarded as a goal.
I still don't know why you guys are this confused. This is Opta data that has been collected and distributed to major leagues, broadcasters and betting companies for over 25 years.

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:37 pm
john12 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:48 am

From 3rd place to 15th place and you’re telling us to calm down?? Please stop the joke
Keep shouting na. It won't bring Rohr back.

Rohr ke. Eguavoen must Continue
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Delusion.

Come on now let’s be objective

You want to give Egypt a pass for losing to us by claiming their left back was weak but you cannot give us a pass that we had an off day

The reason why I still believe in this team is because they showed they can turn up and beat up any big team

If we play Tunisia again next week, I guarantee one thing the tactic will be different , and that is football

You learn from mistake or from past games , this is what Tunisia did effectively yesterday

I don’t care what anyone says , losing to Tunisia was no disgrace , disappointing yes!!
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 pm
metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:00 pm So why do the people who "collect and share the data" (from the very link that you cited) say the following under SHOT OFF TARGET:

I still don't know why you guys are this confused. This is Opta data that has been collected and distributed to major leagues, broadcasters and betting companies for over 25 years.
Which is the point that I am making. You said that "shot on target" and "shot on goal" are the same thing. If so, when a ball hits the post, and does not go in, what is that action called? As you point out above, OPTA does not count it as a "shot on target" because the ball didn't go in the net, then what is it? Is it just an ignored stat?

Also, if we are "confused", it's because you have made a typo and an incorrect statement in this post. For example,

You incorrectly said:

Thats not always the case. In some circumstances, OPTA does count a deflected shot as a shot on target: See the example below from sky bets a world renowned betting company:
Deflected Shot that would be going in, but for a save from the goalkeeper
- Shot on Target- YES
https://support.skybet.com/s/article/Opta-Definitions

And finally, even Opta uses the phrase "shot on goal" under the discussion of "Goal Assist."
If a shot on goal is blocked by an opposition player, is saved by a goalkeeper or hits the woodwork, and a goal is scored directly from the rebound, then an assist is awarded.

Thats clearly a different concept than a "shot on target"
Last edited by metalalloy on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:13 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 pm

Which is the point that I am making. You said that "shot on target" and "shot on goal" are the same thing. If so, when a ball hits the post, and does not go in, what is that action called? As you point out above, OPTA does not count it as a "shot on target" because the ball didn't go in the net, then what is it? Is it just an ignored stat?

Also, if we are "confused", it's because you have made a typo and an incorrect statement in this post. For example,

You incorrectly said:

Thats not always the case. In some circumstances, OPTA does count a deflected shot as a shot on target: See the example below from sky bets a world renowned betting company:
Deflected Shot that would be going in, but for a save from the goalkeeper
- Shot on Target- YES
Of course I know a deflected shot stopped on the line is a shot on target, not the examples Enugu II was giving. For example, Tunisia had a shot on target in the first half that Ndidi blocked. And it was recorded as so.

Bros, I know the meaning of shots on target. Lets stop playing with semantics. No be today I dey watch and analyse football. Just admit you didn't know. Same with Enugu II.
Last edited by Lolly on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 pm

Of course I know a deflected shot stopped on the line is a shot on target, not the examples Enugu II was giving. For example, Tunisia has a shot on target in the first half that Ndidi blocked. And it was recorded as so.

Bros, I know the meaning of shots on target. Lets stop playing with semantics. No be today I dey watch and analyse football. Just admit you didn't know. Same with Enugu II.
You "know that" and yes you said deflected shot is not considered a shot on target. :rotf: :rotf:

There is zero semantics. Words have meaning. "shot on goal" and "shot on target" are two separate actions. They have never meant the same thing, and don't mean the same thing simply because you misunderstand the concepts.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:21 pm

Of course I know a deflected shot stopped on the line is a shot on target, not the examples Enugu II was giving. For example, Tunisia has a shot on target in the first half that Ndidi blocked. And it was recorded as so.

You "know that" and yes you said deflected shot is not considered a shot on target. :rotf: :rotf:

There is zero semantics. Words have meaning. "shot on goal" and "shot on target" are two separate actions. They have never meant the same thing, and don't mean the same thing simply because you misunderstand the concepts.
I was referring to the examples that Enugu II gave that Aribo's shots were deflected. And I was right that those our attempts didn't count as shots on target. That is all that matters.

Meanwhile, Tunisia had a shot on target when Ndidi blocked a shot that was going in.

It's obvious you guys don't know what it means and even still appear confused even after I posted the Opta definition. You keep on claiming that we had shots on target when the world recognised collector and distributor of sports data and my humble self tell you that we didn't. Just admit you are wrong and stop wasting everybody's time.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 pm

I was referring to the examples that Enugu II gave that Aribo's shots were deflected. And I was right that those our attempts didn't count as shots on target. That is all that matters.

Meanwhile, Tunisia had a shot on target when Ndidi blocked a shot that was going in.

It's obvious you guys don't know what it means and even still appear confused even after I posted the Opta definition. You keep on claiming that we had shots on target when the world recognised collector and distributor of sports data and my humble self tell you that we didn't. Just admit you are wrong and stop wasting everybody's time.
:rotf: I made zero claims about the Nigeria Tunisia game, stay focused. I simply questioned your multiple incorrect (sorry "typos") statements in this post.

Where on earth is "shot on target" the same as "shot on goal" as you claimed :rotf: :rotf: Surely you can provide one single credible OPTA or betting source that uses the phrase interchangeably. Just one. :rotf:

Again, here is sky bet or is your claim that they are clueless and confused as well by using shot on goal? :rotf:

If a shot on goal is blocked by an opposition player, is saved by a goalkeeper or hits the woodwork, and a goal is scored directly from the rebound, then an assist is awarded.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:37 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 pm

:rotf: I made zero claims about the Nigeria Tunisia game, stay focused. I simply questioned your multiple incorrect (sorry "typos") statements in this post.

Where on earth is "shot on target" the same as "shot on goal" as you claimed :rotf: :rotf: Surely you can provide one single credible OPTA or betting source that uses the phrase interchangeably. Just one. :rotf:

Again, here is sky bet or is your claim that they are clueless and confused as well by using shot on goal? :rotf:
[/quote]

Show us a different definition of Shots on Goal if you have one. It shouldn't be that difficult.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Onus is on you my little friend. You made the claim they are the same, surely you should have tons of examples from OPTA and the betting sites. I have provided an example above of "shots on goal" used. Where is yours.

I'll wait...

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 pm Onus is on you my little friend. You made the claim they are the same, surely you should have tons of examples from OPTA and the betting sites. I have provided an example above of "shots on goal" used. Where is yours.

I'll wait...
The shots on goal you are referencing is a statement not a statistics that is collected or recorded. So for me, I meant the same thing I started off with. You can show me your own definition of Shots on Goal.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 pm
metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 pm Onus is on you my little friend. You made the claim they are the same, surely you should have tons of examples from OPTA and the betting sites. I have provided an example above of "shots on goal" used. Where is yours.

I'll wait...
The shots on goal you are referencing is a statement not a statistics that is collected or recorded. So for me, I meant the same thing I started off with. You can show me your own definition of Shots on Goal.

Ok. We are making progress. However, i point you to the following statement that YOU made:
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 pm

They mean the same thing as defined by those who collect and share the data. You forget there is a reason this particular data is collected. It didn’t start with Nigeria v Tunisia.
You cant have it both ways. Shots on Goal is cant be a "statement that is not a statistic that is collected or recorded", and at the same time, be the same thing as Shot on Target which is collected and recorded.

Is this yet another example of a "typo" by you or are you willing to finally admit that you have zero idea of what you are talking about?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 pm

I'll wait...

Ok. We are making progress. However, i point you to the following statement that YOU made:
Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 pm

You cant have it both ways. Shots on Goal is cant be a "statement that is not a statistic that is collected or recorded", and at the same time, be the same thing as Shot on Target which is collected and recorded.

Is this yet another example of a "typo" by you or are you willing to finally admit that you have zero idea of what you are talking about?
Read exactly what I said and stop arguing semantics.