I'm more pissed off at Eguavoen now

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
I'm more pissed off at Eguavoen now

Post by Tobi17 »

That midfield was leaking like a basket and the Tunisians were just running rings like Ndidi who was left as a lone DM, it's not surprising Tunisia's goal came from the midfield, albeit a badly exposed midfield.. Why didn't Eguavoen bring in Onyeka to help out Ndidi? as well as take control of that midfield? he kept throwing more attackers yet the midfield was neglected! Eguavoen should have reacted immediately after we conceded by tweaking that midfield... I like Egu but he has once again proved why local coaches ain't it..
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I'm more pissed off at Eguavoen now

Post by vancity eagle »

the more we look at it Egu made some very poor tactical decisions, like Rohr before him.

Both men failed trying to fit Nacho in the squad at the expense of our midfield.

BOTH FAILED IN THIS REGARD, and these frankly were elementary mistakes that computer board coaches could see from a mile away.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 am That midfield was leaking like a basket and the Tunisians were just running rings like Ndidi who was left as a lone DM, it's not surprising Tunisia's goal came from the midfield, albeit a badly exposed midfield.. Why didn't Eguavoen bring in Onyeka to help out Ndidi? as well as take control of that midfield? he kept throwing more attackers yet the midfield was neglected! Eguavoen should have reacted immediately after we conceded by tweaking that midfield... I like Egu but he has once again proved why local coaches ain't it..
but Tobi had I not been warning people about this for literally over a year ?

did I not say this was Rohr's deadly mistake ?

Did I not say Egu should not try 442 ?

it worked against weaker sides but was badly exposed today by an organized bunch.

Well I keep talking am, and they no go listen.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:06 am
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 am That midfield was leaking like a basket and the Tunisians were just running rings like Ndidi who was left as a lone DM, it's not surprising Tunisia's goal came from the midfield, albeit a badly exposed midfield.. Why didn't Eguavoen bring in Onyeka to help out Ndidi? as well as take control of that midfield? he kept throwing more attackers yet the midfield was neglected! Eguavoen should have reacted immediately after we conceded by tweaking that midfield... I like Egu but he has once again proved why local coaches ain't it..
but Tobi had I not been warning people about this for literally over a year ?

did I not say this was Rohr's deadly mistake ?

Did I not say Egu should not try 442 ?

it worked against weaker sides but was badly exposed today by an organized bunch.

Well I keep talking am, and they no go listen.
We needed more midfielders in this team and yet we overplayed Ndidi as a lone DM once again, same mistake Rohr made in 2019 against Algeria, what's the guarantee Peseiro won't have the same anti-midfield syndrome again? What's with our national team maangers and their abhorrence for midfielders? na curse?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Rohr fumbled at the end. Does that prove that Foreign coaches aren't it? You guys need to retire these arguments that don't help Nigerian football. If your conclusion is that Eguavoen is not it, that's fine. But that doesn't preclude another Nigerian from being up to the task.

We should evaluate coaches based on what we believe that specific coach brings to the table. It should not be about Foreign coach or anything else.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Jeez he was appointed 2 weeks to the tournament and was just a temporary caretaker. Go through the real process of hiring a local full time and re-evaluate him after a few years. Hire Pep Guardiola 2 weeks to afcon and see how far you would go. IMHO Egu has over achieved.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

greg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:52 am Jeez he was appointed 2 weeks to the tournament and was just a temporary caretaker. Go through the real process of hiring a local full time and re-evaluate him after a few years. Hire Pep Guardiola 2 weeks to afcon and see how far you would go. IMHO Egu has over achieved.
I'm sorry I'm not buying this "2 weeks argument"

If 2 weeks is enough to have your team playing like the best team of the tournament, and CAF even annointed Egu the "coach of the first round" then you can no longer go back to that excuse.

We lost today, not because Egu had 2 weeks, but because he made a basic tactical mistake and refused to adjust to his mistake until it was too late. Nothing to do with 2 weeks.

he was outcoached by a PE teacher who lost 12 players to Covid. No excuses abeg.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I’m still processing but today was 100% Eguavoen.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 am
greg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:52 am Jeez he was appointed 2 weeks to the tournament and was just a temporary caretaker. Go through the real process of hiring a local full time and re-evaluate him after a few years. Hire Pep Guardiola 2 weeks to afcon and see how far you would go. IMHO Egu has over achieved.

If 2 weeks is enough to have your team playing like the best team of the tournament, and CAF even annointed Egu the "coach of the first round" then you can no longer go back to that excuse.

We lost today, not because Egu had 2 weeks, but because he made a basic tactical mistake and refused to adjust to his mistake until it was too late. Nothing to do with 2 weeks.

he was outcoached by a PE teacher who lost 12 players to Covid. No excuses abeg.

So if Jose Peseiro had taken over before the Nations Cup and had recorded the exact results as Eguavoen; what would be your narrative?

Be honest.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 am

When he was hired, I predicted we would experience a "New Coach Bounce" in our fortunes. Also we entered the tournament as underdogs so our group opponents had no idea was brand of football we would play. After the surprise factor was gone and the spotlight pointed at us, then it became a different story. Give Carlos Queiroz a 2nd crack at Egu's team and the result will surely be different. Equ is not a real professional coach with recent coaching experience so it's not fair to assess him as such.
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

When there is victory..the coach is a god.
when he loses..he is satan
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

visieC wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:24 am When there is victory..the coach is a god.
when he loses..he is satan
Kpom.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:59 am I’m still processing but today was 100% Eguavoen.
I believe so as well, and he has rightly stepped down as interim for Picnic to do with the position what he feels...He only stepped in as an emergency coach due to Picnic's hasty decision...which likes of VE at the time championed and cheered!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

mystic wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:40 am

Rohr fumbled at the end. Does that prove that Foreign coaches aren't it? You guys need to retire these arguments that don't help Nigerian football. If your conclusion is that Eguavoen is not it, that's fine. But that doesn't preclude another Nigerian from being up to the task.

We should evaluate coaches based on what we believe that specific coach brings to the table. It should not be about Foreign coach or anything else.
How one match can change the impression of fan, It seems many here have already forgotten
that many here were clamoring for Egu to be given the job on a permanent basis.
Typical fair weather mentality. Shame no dey some of wunna.
Last edited by chopachop on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

If this match was the first match like it was against the Pharaohs, the eagles would have won
with an impressive display like against Egypt. That victory against the Pharaohs gave everyone even
the players too much confidence and the players didn't put on the hard work that they put in the Egypt
match. Even when one goal down there was still that confidence that the scores would be overturned.
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

Only pissed with Eguavon for the fact that he quit. He should see the SE through the last WC game.
No Escape
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Could it be that the Tunisians had a game plan that worked?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

bamenda boy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:46 am Could it be that the Tunisians had a game plan that worked?
That's it, just that football 'know-it-alls' are refusing to admit it.
Many here love to talk about what big league team a player plays for, but are
too insincere to admit that the Tunisian players that did our SE in today ply their
trades in what they will consider backwater or Sunday leagues.

In today's football, every team has talent but what separates teams are coaching,
and players showing team discipline and focus on the field. For one brief minute,
some SE players showed indiscipline and lost focus, thus the loss.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Okoye makes that save and it could be another story altogether. Rohr in six years just assembled a bad team period. At their very core are really not technically sound soccer players. Pick any one of them at there are some basic 101 that they cant do right. If Nacho, Simon, Chukweze, Ekong, and Okoye are in the NPFL, they wont be starting for their teams. I will dismantle this team and rebuild with pieces that are capable. The bigger issue is that your national team kinda mirror your local team and the local teams can't compete in Africa and so not surprising the national team now looks like a bunch of amateurs too. We need to stop overreliance on players that graduate from U17 footy. U17 cups are often won by players that mature faster and can run but once others catch up that advantage can be lost. We have players that can still compete in Africa and do well on the international stage but our selection process needs rejig and never again with coaches like Rohr that was there for 6 years and left no semblance of a team behind. Okoye did them in diving at a ball coming right at him rather than shifting his body behind the ball, goalkeeping 101.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

oscar52 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:24 am Okoye makes that save and it could be another story altogether. Rohr in six years just assembled a bad team period. At their very core are really not technically sound soccer players. Pick any one of them at there are some basic 101 that they cant do right. If Nacho, Simon, Chukweze, Ekong, and Okoye are in the NPFL, they wont be starting for their teams. I will dismantle this team and rebuild with pieces that are capable. The bigger issue is that your national team kinda mirror your local team and the local teams can't compete in Africa and so not surprising the national team now looks like a bunch of amateurs too. We need to stop overreliance on players that graduate from U17 footy. U17 cups are often won by players that mature faster and can run but once others catch up that advantage can be lost. We have players that can still compete in Africa and do well on the international stage but our selection process needs rejig and never again with coaches like Rohr that was there for 6 years and left no semblance of a team behind. Okoye did them in diving at a ball coming right at him rather than shifting his body behind the ball, goalkeeping 101.
I know you are still mourning the loss, but please tone down on your anger.
The few sentences I highlighted shows that you were letting your anger overcome
what's real. Nacho, Simon, Chukweze, Ekong, and Okoye might be overhyped, but
certainly not NPFL benchwarmers.
Take a chill pill Bro! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chopachop wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:08 am
mystic wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:40 am

How one match can change the impression of fan, It seems many here have already forgotten
that many here were clamoring for Egu to be given the job on a permanent basis.
Typical fair weather mentality. Shame no dey some of wunna.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nor be today o.
Nor be today.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oscar52 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:24 am Okoye makes that save and it could be another story altogether. Rohr in six years just assembled a bad team period. At their very core are really not technically sound soccer players. Pick any one of them at there are some basic 101 that they cant do right. If Nacho, Simon, Chukweze, Ekong, and Okoye are in the NPFL, they wont be starting for their teams. I will dismantle this team and rebuild with pieces that are capable. The bigger issue is that your national team kinda mirror your local team and the local teams can't compete in Africa and so not surprising the national team now looks like a bunch of amateurs too. We need to stop overreliance on players that graduate from U17 footy. U17 cups are often won by players that mature faster and can run but once others catch up that advantage can be lost. We have players that can still compete in Africa and do well on the international stage but our selection process needs rejig and never again with coaches like Rohr that was there for 6 years and left no semblance of a team behind. Okoye did them in diving at a ball coming right at him rather than shifting his body behind the ball, goalkeeping 101.
Na wa.
Anoda tiori. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

joao wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:05 am
bamenda boy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:46 am Could it be that the Tunisians had a game plan that worked?
That's it, just that football 'know-it-alls' are refusing to admit it.
Many here love to talk about what big league team a player plays for, but are
too insincere to admit that the Tunisian players that did our SE in today ply their
trades in what they will consider backwater or Sunday leagues.

In today's football, every team has talent but what separates teams are coaching,
and players showing team discipline and focus on the field. For one brief minute,
some SE players showed indiscipline and lost focus, thus the loss.
Yes the Tunisians had a plan

and Egu had NONE

other than his 1994 442 with wingers who cannot cross or make simple passes and decisions, yet would rather run into culdesacs.

Any average coach would have countered and beaten the Tunisian tactics. They were there for the taking, and Egu failed woefully.

One of the worst failures in SE history. In fact I think it is THE WORST failure in SE history as far as tournaments go. A game to should have been routine.