CAF should revisit the VAR red card

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
CAF should revisit the VAR red card

Post by 1naija »

Iwobi's red card was hard for me to take and still is. While i agree it was a foul, i think a red card was unfair. CAF needs to consider including intent in the interpretation for a red card like they do in the NBA with flagrant 1 and flagrant 2 fouls. Iwobi clearly did not intend to step on the Tunisian player's foot. It sad that a game of such magnitude was decided on such call.
Last edited by 1naija on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF should revisit the VAR red card

Post by vancity eagle »

I just realized Iwobi will miss the double header against Ghana.

More the reason to call Ejaria and Lookman. Clowns who think they are not needed.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF should revisit the VAR red card

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:02 am Iwobi's red ard was hard for me to take and still is. While i agree it was a foul, i think a red card was unfair. CAF needs to consider including intent in the interpretation for a red card like they do in the NBA with flagrant 1 and flagrant 2 fouls. Iwobi clearly did not intend to step on the Tunisian player's foot. It sad that a game of such magnitude was decided on such call.
1naija,

Referee no be mind reader oooo. How exactly will he/she determine intent? I think such a tackler, intended or not, has possibility of causing harm and that by its own should lead to disqualification.

It hurts but the reality is that these officials need to act on such tackles, intended or not. What hurts in my view are the non-call/non-VCR examination of two ball handling episodes in the Tunisian box in that opening half.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics